Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S Pro L Stock & Nano Nexus ROM (Android 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ROM] Mecool M8S Pro L Stock & Nano Nexus ROM (Android 7.1)

In the spirit of the Pure Nexus Project, these Nano and Stock Nexus ROMs prove that less can be more. The goal is to keep true to Google's vision and use the bare minimum of OEM or third-party apps or add-ons, which can be added à la carte by the user as needed. These ROMs also serve as a foundation for TVStock Nexus ROMs, which deliver the pure Android TV experience using the Open GApps TVStock Package.
    Stock Nexus variant includes:
    Nano Nexus variant includes:
    • Open GApps Nano Package
    • Google Now Launcher (replaces Lighthome Launcher)
    • Google Chrome Browser (replaces AOSP Browser)
    • Google Legacy Camera (replaces AOSP Camera)
    • Google Desk Clock (replaces AOSP Desk Clock)
    • Google WebView (replaces AOSP WebView)
    • Terminal app from LineageOS
    • TWRP Recovery 3.2.3-0 by TeamWin
    Changelog (20180830):
    • Ported over latest M8S Pro OEM firmware (20180412.194117.V0213)
    • Merged in latest M8S Pro L bootloader and device tree (20180803.173707.V0213)
    • Updated to TWRP Recovery 3.2.3-0
    • Preserves Miracast from OEM firmware
    • Latest build from Open GApps (20180830)
    Changelog (20180310):
    • Updated to latest M8S Pro L OEM firmware (20180205.111652.V0928)
    • Wake from sleep is now taking the expected 2-3 seconds.
    • New build of Mali driver that supports OpenGL 3.2 + AEP
    • Clicking on Vision Settings in the setup wizard now works.
    • Latest build from Open GApps (20180310)
    Changelog (20180109):
    • Updated to latest M8S Pro L OEM firmware (20171216.102705.V0928)
    • Underlying OEM firmware fixed wake from sleep...but it's taking about 28 seconds. It should only take 2-3 seconds.
    • Updated to TWRP Recovery 3.2.1-0 based on latest OEM kernel.
    • Latest build from Open GApps (20180109)
    Changelog (20171202):
    • Updated to latest M8S Pro L OEM firmware (20171127.165619.V0928)
    • Added local update and backup option from Settings->About->System update based on Amlogic stock OTAUpgrade app.
    • Latest build from Open GApps (20171202)
    Changelog (20171115):
    • Updated to latest M8S Pro L OEM firmware (20171109.180937.V0928)
    • Added additional option (Reboot & Sleep) to global action menu that displays when you press and hold the Power button.
    • Fixed issue with external storage not showing up in some applications.
    • The Terminal app now shows only after being enabled in Settings->Developer Options.
    • Additional support for HID devices (e.g. remotes, gamepads, etc.) on latest Nougat firmware for Nexus Player, NVIDIA Shield TV & Xiamoi Mi Box
    • Rebuilt TWRP with new V0928 kernel
    • Latest build from Open GApps (20171116)
    • Nexus splash logo with stock Android boot animation
    Known Bugs:
    • You can enable the nav bar in Settings->Display->Statusbar, but may need to toggle back and forth before it will show.
    Download:Notes:
    • This firmware is designed for earlier models of the M8S Pro L with the QCA9377 wireless chipset. If you install it on later (non-LQ) hardware, WiFi and Bluetooth won't work.
    • The underlying OEM firmware for this build is pre-rooted, so this is too.
    • The updater is signed, and so can be installed in the Update app, the stock recovery, or TWRP. It's designed for incremental updates, since user data is preserved. If you're installing for the first time, you should include a data wipe.
    • The safest bet is always to install the full Amlogic burn package with USB Burning Tool. With no reset switch, you can trigger USB detection by typing "reboot update" in a terminal window.
    • The local terminal app shows after being enabled in Settings->Developer Options. (This must be revealed by clicking Settings->About->Build 7 times.)
    • Flash ROMs at your own risk and always remember to back up your data first. The burn package includes a factory reset.
    Credits:Donations:
    • Your support is always appreciated! Just click here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_27527.jpg Views:	2 Size:	21.5 KB ID:	686036Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28627.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.6 KB ID:	686045Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28626.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.9 KB ID:	686044Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28620.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.7 KB ID:	686039Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28622.jpg Views:	1 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	686040Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28617.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.4 KB ID:	686037Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28618.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.0 KB ID:	686038Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28623.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	686041Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28624.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.7 KB ID:	686042Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28625.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	686043Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28621.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	686047Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28619.jpg Views:	1 Size:	32.2 KB ID:	686046
    Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2018, 10:49.

Thank you very much!

Comment

has a bar down;

Comment

Great work, thanks!

I'll think I'll try both new ROMS (ATV and non-ATV variants!

Comment

How can i install this rom by OTA update? I have the nexus atv rom and it doesn't have the update app that come with stock Rom. Thanks.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            You need to install it in TWRP recovery. From Terminal app (enabled in Developer Options), type "reboot recovery", hit Install, pick .zip file, and swipe to install. If Developer Options isn't enabled, you need to click Build number in About 7 times.

Note: I'm working on my own Update app that will also include a button to reboot to recovery.

Amazing work, this rom is perfection was able to install nano via ota and it fixed every problem I had with the box!!! at least imo, any suggestions on getting this box to connect to amlogic usb tool? I can connect my W95(s905w) and older Sunvell Q-Box(s905), and a Beelink MiniMX III just fine, but this box will not show up on any version of the tool I have tried, intel i5-6400, win 10 home, any tips or tricks?

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, the problem is that you've got to press the reset button when connecting via the USB OTG port...and there's no reset button. It can be done, but you've got to short the pins on the PCB where the switch would be installed. (Awkward!)

Some Amlogic bootloaders such as the Beelink GT1 and Shiningworth All-in-One for Amlogic q201 reference board don't require you to press the reset switch, and it seems like that would be the way to go here. I'll suggest it to Videostrong.

Fantastic work. Worked like a charm Thank you very mutch

Comment

Guest wrote:

Some Amlogic bootloaders such as the Beelink GT1 and Shiningworth All-in-One for Amlogic q201 reference board don't require you to press the reset switch, and it seems like that would be the way to go here. I'll suggest it to Videostrong.

This would be very important! Already have some news?

What do you mean with suggesting to Videostrong? Can this be changed for the actual boxes which the users already bought?

Guest is it not possible to create some software (an app or tool) to simulate the same thing as doing on hardware-side pressing the reset or shorting pins to reset?
            Last edited by tombraga; 11-21-2017, 08:26.

Comment

I don't feel confident or competent enough to attempt a firmware update on this box; knowing me if I attempted to do so I'd certainly brick it! I have two issues with this box; it runs very hot and it has the android tv play store and not the google play store ....is there anything I can do about either of these issues?

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, I feel much better now that we've got the burn package (.img file), know the pin locations to short for Mask ROM mode, and know that doing that doesn't wipe the Widevine L1 keys. If you brick your box, it's just a "soft brick" and is recoverable. You'll just need to crack the case.

Originally posted by montee View Post
              I don't feel confident or competent enough to attempt a firmware update on this box; knowing me if I attempted to do so I'd certainly brick it! I have two issues with this box; it runs very hot and it has the android tv play store and not the google play store ....is there anything I can do about either of these issues?
              The heat issue is a tough one to solve. Use the builtin Chrome browser and search and download Aptoide app for all the apps you need. You will need a mouse or air mouse to use the Chrome browser.
              MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Hi Folks, new to the forum so please let me know if this request should go into another forum. I've flashed the m8s pro l and life is pretty darned good, huge thankyou !!! Noted one weird thing, every time I power the unit off and back on the language goes back to chinese ? I've worked out where the language selection is in the Android menu and I remove the chinese language. Reboot and its back. I went into twrp and its in english.. Havent read about anyone else with the issue but this wont go away :-)

Thankyou anyway, I've loaded Netflix and ABC i-view seperately and it works an absolute treat !!

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just disable the HDMI CEC auto language selection setting.

Hi Magendanz....I must be getting tired of trying to sort this all day :-) Where is that option ? I cant see it...I've looked in the Android menu and twrp....bugger.

OK, found it, sorry :-) Thankyou for helping.....we here in Australia really appreciate your work :-)

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Settings->HDMI CEC->Auto change language

Anyone tell me what pins to short? got one of these coming for a friend

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Magendanz do you know if the mode for connecting to USB burn tool on these boxes is just "bootloader* mode?
                  as reboot to bootloader then connecting would make it a lot easier if so.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I've done that in the past, I just got a black screen and i didn't try connecting the USB OTG cable because I'd always been told that you disconnect power for that. It would be worth trying as an experiment, though.
                Working...
                X