SD Card booting without flashing your device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any progress on this thread?

My MK809III (kind of) is absolutely bricked and I don't think that it's NAND will ever see some new firmware again. Pretty much my TV player went through the same process as described here:

So, the changes of having some Android version running again on my dongle are very slim, unless there's a way of making a compatible FW version running from SD card.

So far I have only partial success.

The NAND based FW I usually installed to have my device working properly was the
    MK809III_update_dongle RK3188T 6210_3.1 However, when installed by SD card using the SD Firmware Tool it doesn't boot.

I can run Ubuntu based on Linuxium's Rikomagic MK802IV New (AP6210) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...mIyLTl4Z3ZFRmc WiFi working ok

I can run radxa_rock_android_kitkat_r2_140911 SDCard version but not the NAND version
    however wifi and bluetooth are not working. I guess their board does not use a AP6210 Chipset.

I made a binary comparison between these two radxa distributions and they are exactly the same except for the kernel. both kernels have the same size but their content is different. One boots correctly from SD Card and the other doesn't.

So, Boocy must be right. The trick is in the way the kernel is compiled.

I would be happy if someone could do the same trick with a kernel with suport for AP6210 so I can have a usable android installation with Wifi working properly...

I'm trying to lean how to cook such kernel, but so far the challenge has been way too big for my SW Development habilities

Can someone help with this?

Comment

Originally posted by blueprint1972 View Post
      My MK809III (kind of) is absolutely bricked and I don't think that it's NAND will ever see some new firmware again. Pretty much my TV player went through the same process as described here:

So, the changes of having some Android version running again on my dongle are very slim, unless there's a way of making a compatible FW version running from SD card.

So far I have only partial success.

The NAND based FW I usually installed to have my device working properly was the
      MK809III_update_dongle RK3188T 6210_3.1 However, when installed by SD card using the SD Firmware Tool it doesn't boot.

I can run Ubuntu based on Linuxium's Rikomagic MK802IV New (AP6210) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99...mIyLTl4Z3ZFRmc WiFi working ok

I can run radxa_rock_android_kitkat_r2_140911 SDCard version but not the NAND version
      however wifi and bluetooth are not working. I guess their board does not use a AP6210 Chipset.

I made a binary comparison between these two radxa distributions and they are exactly the same except for the kernel. both kernels have the same size but their content is different. One boots correctly from SD Card and the other doesn't.

So, Boocy must be right. The trick is in the way the kernel is compiled.

I would be happy if someone could do the same trick with a kernel with suport for AP6210 so I can have a usable android installation with Wifi working properly...

I'm trying to lean how to cook such kernel, but so far the challenge has been way too big for my SW Development habilities

Can someone help with this?
      if ive understood the process correctly in the radxa's sdcard.img their boot.img contains a kernel this needs to be removed from the boot.img. if no kernel is found in boot.img then it then looks for kernel.img. Im not sure if something else needs to be changed to force it to look for kernel.img. Need to check i really need to know how to open the radxa.img to start swapping things about. I havnt been on the sceene for a while (had shit to deal with) but i was looking into this a few months ago and now may have the time to get back to it. Just got to remember where i left off!!!

Comment

Just an update I have sdbooting working great on mk908ii

Comment

@LawlessPPC

Plesse let us know how you did it.

Comment

Go to my latest thread in mk908 section

Comment

Can any one please tell me what sd is used for minix x7, it has a full SDHC slot, wondering if carrier causes bottle neck for micro or would it not effect speed.
              Cheer

Comment

Working...
              X