Originally posted by mmm123 View Post
    edit file
    drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/os_dep/linux/usb_intf.c
    find line:
    {USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDER_ID_REALTEK, 0x8179)},//Default ID
    and add this right bellow it:
    {USB_DEVICE(USB_VENDER_ID_REALTEK, 0x0179)},//Default ID

Thanks for your help.
    I now have my working kernel for picuntu.....

Comment

Thank you all for the promotion of linux in the low cost PC.

But when I try to sudo make mrproper
      I get errors:
      / tyeo / drivers / gpu / drm / mali_drm / Makefile: 65: *** No KDIR found for platform ct11mp. Stop.
      make [3]: *** [drivers / gpu / drm / mali_drm] Error 2
      make [2]: *** [drivers / gpu / drm] Error 2
      make [1]: *** [drivers / gpu] Error 2
      make: *** [_clean_drivers] Error 2

Google could not help me ...
      What's wrong with my Ubuntu?

Comment

Does sound work?

I don't think I saw anything saying whether there is a sound driver. The output only has a dummy.

Comment

Sound works, just not with all players. Try with alsa player and you will see.

Comment

Originally posted by dmit9 View Post

I get errors:
            / tyeo / drivers / gpu / drm / mali_drm / Makefile: 65: *** No KDIR found for platform ct11mp. Stop.

That is probably because GPU driver is not "free" and they ripped it from kernel.
            Try to use make -i

Comment

Originally posted by dmit9 View Post

I get errors:

I had the exact same problem, try this:
              make KDIR=./ mrproper

I did not fully manage to get my own kernel booting on my mk908, please keep us informed on your progress.

In case you don't know where to find mkbootimg (which was my next problem after this one):

This is how far i got, i'm having trouble finding the right initramfs.

good luck!

Comment

Sound works, just not with all players. Try with alsa player and you will see.
                Unfortunately x86 Ubuntu has become so turnkey that I don't remember how to manage things. I have the ROCKCHIP HDMI Analog Stereo and ROCKCHIP SPDIF Analog Stereo devices but get no sound from either when using the Test Speakers on the Hardware tab. Any suggestions for what to do next?

Comment

I started Picuntu in my MK908 as follows:
                  1. Flash MK908 Finless ROM 1.6 http://www.freak-tab.de/finless/tron..._finless16.zip
                  2. Download mk908-linux-recovery-sd-3.0.72 in http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post99954
                  3. Mount Picuntu system.img in Linux machines and replace the module with 3.0.36 to 3.0.72
                  4. In any case, write the extracted file system on the SD card and inserted into the device
                  5. Flash mk908-linux-recovery-sd-3.0.72 in boot and replaced system.img in system

After rebooting Picuntu is working. But file system is in SD card , not in flash...
                  Can anyone tell me, how to mount a file system on the SD card to flash cards?

P.S. record replaced system.img in system do not need
                  Last edited by dmit9; 10-21-2013, 07:47.

Comment

Minix Neo X7 / PicUntu

I am willing to experiment with PicUntu installed BOTH on SD Card (4.4) and NAND (4.5).

If I try any of the PicUntu included MK802IV kernels, it is expected that some Minix Neo X7 modules will probably not work.

Can I brick my Minix Neo X7, using wrong GPIO pin or voltage settings included in these kernels?

Do you have any recommendations for a specific PicUntu compatible X7 kernel?

Will this specific X7 kernel be exactly the same for PicUntu 4.4 and PicUntu 4.5, or is some modification required based on the SD Card / NAND installation differences?

Comment

@ mmm123 Any chance to get multiboot images?

There's a recent linuxium multiboot development pack that is very appealing. Since I borked my installation trying to do something as simple as installing alsa and not even being able to recover by reinstalling from scratch, it would be nice do my troubleshooting on an SD card instead of the internal NAND. I'm not even competent enough to get the SD card installation or the recovery installation to work.

Comment

Originally posted by R42owner View Post
                        There's a recent linuxium multiboot development pack that is very appealing. Since I borked my installation trying to do something as simple as installing alsa and not even being able to recover by reinstalling from scratch, it would be nice do my troubleshooting on an SD card instead of the internal NAND. I'm not even competent enough to get the SD card installation or the recovery installation to work.
                        I don't realy understand what is the problem with multiboot.
                        You can have 2 or more SD cards, USB sticks, USB HDDs, or anything else, all booting with same kernel. Just make sure you connect only one of them at boot time. If you screw one, just erplace it with working one.

Kernel on the other hand is only one (unless you keep android then you have android kernel and linux kernel in recovery) Still experimenting with custom kernel is quite simple - Flash kernel, try if it doesn't work, flash back working kernel.

Comment

You can have 2 or more SD cards, USB sticks, USB HDDs, or anything else, all booting with same kernel. Just make sure you connect only one of them at boot time. If you screw one, just erplace it with working one.

Kernel on the other hand is only one (unless you keep android then you have android kernel and linux kernel in recovery) Still experimenting with custom kernel is quite simple - Flash kernel, try if it doesn't work, flash back working kernel.
                          Maybe there's confusion as to what what multiboot mean? I define multiboot to be about booting the right kernel for the right OS, not about using the same kernel for different distros. So multiboot to me means booting either Android or Linux. If you boot Android you boot an Android specific kernel and the associate Android (/system) file system. If you boot Linux, you boot a Linux kernel with a distro of your choice, e.g. Ubuntu, Debian etc.

Furthermore, the location of the kernel (kernel partition or recovery partition) doesn't determine whether it is multiboot and neither does the location of the file system (either SD card or NAND). So my multiboot solution will either boot an Android kernel and Android file system or a Linux kernel and a Linux file system. There is flexibility in that if, as part of booting, a Linux SD card is present, then it automatically boots a Linux kernel.

I hope further confusion will not increase as I've just added the new dimension of containerization. In this context it is the ability to boot a specific distro against the running Linux kernel.

It really is great that we put out ideas to encourage development and improvement. Hopefully nobody is precious about what goes forward and what gets dropped. It is important that people, regardless of skill-set, look at the ideas and decide for themselves. That sounds patronizing without intending to be. It is just that positive feedback is very useful. Thanks are certainly due to mmm123 for your work.

Comment

I'm approaching this as an end user and want to keep Android around to run XBMC while I wait for HW acceration to be supported on 3188. I haven't been able to get your recovery image to work (just get a black screen) with the stock K-R42 firmware so I am interested in the multiboot alternative. Oddly I can use your recovery image if I flash the MK802IV firmware but of course that stick has different peripherals and it doesn't help me run XBMC. I know I shouldn't whine since you're doing all the work but people who aren't developers don't have armhf debian, ubuntu or picuntu filesystems to install on the SD card and I still haven't even accomplished that yet although I think a MK808 picuntu one will work.

Edit: How embarrassing. I installed the NAND version and cloned the fs to a SD card but 4 days later I found that linuxium has various fs to download.
                            Last edited by R42owner; 10-29-2013, 05:50.

Comment

???
                              Code:
                              # Start a grubesque menu
                              TIMEOUT=9
                              clear
                              echo
                              echo "----------------------------------------------------------------------"
                              echo "-------Boot menu:-----------------------------------------------------"
                              echo "------------ 1) Linux NAND (mtdblock2)... ----------------------------"
                              echo "------------ 2) Linux HDD  (/dev/sda1)... ----------------------------"
                              echo "------------ 3) Enter your (/???/????)... ----------------------------"
                              echo "----- Enter 1,2,3 to boot the selected OS... -------------------------"
                              [ ${TIMEOUT} -gt 0 ] && echo "------Booted automatically in ${TIMEOUT} seconds... ---------------------------"
                              read -n 1 -t ${TIMEOUT} ANSWER
                              echo
                              case "${ANSWER}" in
                                  1)
                                      echo "--- Boot Linux NAND... -----------------------------------------------"
                                      BOOTTHE="/dev/mtdblock2"
                                  ;;
                                  2)
                                      echo "--- Boot Linux HDD (/dev/sda1)... ------------------------------------"
                                      BOOTTHE="/dev/sda1"
                                  ;;
                                  3)
                                      echo "--- Enter your (/???/???)... -----------------------------------------"
                                      read BOOTYOUR
                                      BOOTTHE=$BOOTYOUR
                                  ;;
                                  *)
                                      echo "------------------------ Auto boot -----------------------------------"
                                      echo "-------- Boot "/dev/mtdblock2" or set "/home/boot.def" ---------------"
                                      #Default boot
                                      mount -t ext4 /dev/mtdblock2 /mnt
                                      if [ -e /mnt/home/boot.def ] ; then
                                          BOOTDEF=`cat /mnt/home/boot.def`
                                          umount /mnt
                                          BOOTTHE=$BOOTDEF
                                      else
                                          BOOTTHE="/dev/mtdblock2"
                                      fi
                                      sleep 2
                                  ;;
                              esac
                              before
                              Code:
                              # Export relevant variables
                              export ROOT=$BOOTTHE
                              export ROOTDELAY=
                              and
                              Code:
                              # Parse command line options
                              for x in $(cat /proc/cmdline); do
                                  case $x in
                                  init=*)
                                      init=${x#init=}
                                      ;;
                                  root=*)
                                      ROOT=${x#root=}
                                      ROOT=$BOOTTHE
                              Last edited by vmkogeretla; 10-27-2013, 19:12.

Comment

Is any chance to get Broadcom ap6210 working(at least wifi) ? I have j22 cx-912 stick, and seems like Picuntu 4.5 trying to bring it up http://paste.ubuntu.com/6460369/

Comment

Working...
                                X