Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Day PIPO X8 Mini TV BOX Windows 8.1 Android 4.4 Dual Boot Intel Z3736F Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a name for the round power tip that plugs into the Pipo? I have been trying to find a power supply that meets our local safety standards. The best I can come up with is a universal power supply, RCA brand, which is 2.5A and 12V but allows for various round tips. It came with 5 but none seem to be to Pipo tip. There must be some kind of standard with these tips! By the time I am finished the power supply will cost half the price of the Pipo (:

Comment

They are called a barrel connector you can get into a little trouble with these different sizes that are used in these china boxes.
      Each Box appear to make there own standard on the day(whatever is cheap at the time)

5.5mm x 2.5mm: 5.5 being the outer diameter of the barrel 2.5 being the inner diameter for the pin

Spring cleaning, and I'm trying to get power supplies for all my devices with missing power supplies. They're all the typical barrel power connector, and I'm having a dickens of a time trying to fi...

Cheers

treboR
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

The Pipo barrel connector seems shorter than any of the ones I have come across. I went into a Radio Shack and must have tried at least 20 of them. Some would have a metal "stick" in the middle. The Pipo one has two metal pieces on the outside of the inner barrel. Does that matter? I can get a 5.5mm x 2.5mm plug but it may not be the correct length and it may also not have the two metal pieces on the inside.

Am at a loss. The link had interesting information but no obvious source to get one that works. The Pipo one does work but ...

Comment

This one works well : http://www.leicke.eu/en/products/NT03012

Comment

Length in this case is not so important if it hangs out a little that's will be fine.
            if too short you may have problems not been seated properly.

As long as its a snug fit and does not move around(sideways) all will be good.

Learn more about our products from our comprehensive technical references

The Barrel with the little clips in it I recall they are called type 2 barrels to help hold onto center pin in box securely

Other may not have these clips.
            As mentioned a snug fit a bit longer (1~2mm) is fine

Had a situation here with an AU company selling TV boxes from China.
            Box from China, Power pack from AU

China box had a 2.1mm center pin. AU power pack was made for a 2.5mm center pin
            China box had a deep barrel. AU power pack short barrel.

Would not sit snug if you moved the box or power cable box would power off.

Have a look in the X7 thread you should fine some examples of what people have purchased

Cheers

treboR
            Please consider
            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Is the 12mm length of the plug ok? Whoops, I guess that answered it!

Never thought a power supply would be this complicated!

Does the X7 use the same power supply?

Comment

Yes X7 does and most boxes that use 12vdc I have a couple here and use the one power supply on all.

Its not the Power Pack as much as the Standards the China boxes use = nearly Zero some do get it right.

Cheers
                treboR
                Please consider
                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Just to be clear, the Pipo X7/8 uses a 5.5 x 2.5 mm plug? There seem to be quite a few 5.5 x 2.1 mm adapters. Whether it's a type 2 barrel is not critical?

Comment

Yes.

Even if you get a 12 DCV 3 or 5 amp with interchangeable barrels if your worried.
                    But I reckon you will be fine.

Radio Shack should have a tool to measure exactly what you need.
                    If it fit snug and firm, sweet.

To satisfy your self take to box to Radio Shack and plug in 2.5 then a 2.1 the 2.1 will not fit

Cheers
                    treboR
                    Please consider
                    Donating to Freaktab

Comment

You are right. The 2.1 mm did not fit. Unfortunately the store I went to had a larger inner diameter one but it had a wire coming up in the middle and so it wouldn't work either. Is there something about polarity ( centre vs whatever) that one has to worry about?

Comment

Sure is
                        If you look at the power pack you have for the PIPO you will see

Meaning + Positve to Tip (middle bit) - Negative to Ring (outer bit)
                        If you plug the wrong Polarity in (opposite to above) you let the smoke out
                        When you let the smoke out usually it will not work anymore.

Cheers
                        treboR
                        Please consider
                        Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Some plugs have a centre "poll" which prevents them from plugging into the Pipo because of the centre poll coming out of the Pipo. The Pipo plug has the two metal things on the edge but is otherwise of a female type. Is there some way of knowing if a plug has that poll? Would those be male plugs? I now can order the 3.5x2.5mm plug adapter but how can I tell if it has something sticking up the middle? Unfortunately the link provided to an adapter which works can only be ordered from Europe. There used to be LCD monitors that used plugs like the ones we have been talking about.

So, Pipo unit has middle bit coming out. Pipo power adapter plug is totally female. The middle bit is positive and the out part negative. I assume not all plugs work that way? How darned more complicated can this get?

philip

Comment

Yes the Power Pack in our situation is a Socket or Female and the Positive is the Middle and Outer is Negative or ground.

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/choo...-phone-laptop/

Cheers

treboR
                            Please consider
                            Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Thank you! Interesting read. Finally ordered what I hope to be the right one. It turns out that adapters that work for older LCD monitors have the correct plugs. So Acer, Philips, Benq have adapter models that are 5A and 12V with 5.5x2.5mm with a female plug and the correct polarity. Was able to get a certified (UL) power supply which is what I was after. Will see when it gets here from California. Oddly enough many of the locally sold power supplies were not UL or CSA ( US/Canada) certified but CE which is a European certification. Don't know why I'm bothering since the Pipo supply works great and is made by a reputable power supply company ( apparently).

Now on to figuring out how to blank the monitor when connected to a TV.

Edit: Thanks to stevejc for the LCD related link. That really helped.
                              Last edited by pmcd; 07-16-2015, 18:10.

Comment

May Help
                                http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...797#post509797
                                treboR
                                Please consider
                                Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Working...
                                X