Arnova 10G2 Finless Bob's "GingerComb" Custom ROM Version 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pope_acute View Post
    been running the ginger comb now for 5 days now, have to say it's great.
    not without issues, getting force closes a lot, with new install apps from play, and from re installing apps from es file explorer, and some from app injector. But overall very pleased. keep up the tremendous work..
    If you can please list the force closes etc as bob would like to know and us to because it can only make future roms better

Sent from my Arnova 10 g2

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
      GooglePlay won't let me download it, comes up with error 941 - whatever that means.
      I've installed a backup of an older version from a few weeks ago, and that works, update also causes the 941 error.
      From PC, accessing GooglePlay' orders page, it comes up as 'complete', but when clicking on the app name and going to it's page it gives me the price rather than the purchased label.

I've sent a report from the orders page and am awaiting a reply.

In mean time I'll just re-install the older backup of the app and use that.

Edit: It may have been somthing I did. Just checked email, and had a few cancel/re-purchase order emails. Waiting for dust to settle, then I'll try again.
      Last edited by Gargoyle; 05-31-2012, 15:44.

Comment

From PC, accessing GooglePlay' orders page, it comes up as 'complete', but when clicking on the app name and going to it's page it gives me the price rather than the purchased label.

I've sent a report from the orders page and am awaiting a reply.

In mean time I'll just re-install the older backup of the app and use that.

Edit: It may have been somthing I did. Just checked email, and had a few cancel/re-purchase order emails. Waiting for dust to settle, then I'll try again.
        I have found that it takes Google Play some time at times to update/keep correct the purchases tab. Check it once, what I have bought and my son have bought are not there, check later they are there, check days later not there, then there.... very confusing. Anybody else experience this on Google Play?

Comment

I have always used my backup pro to backup my apps and then after a flash install the APK's without the data (only data for save games like Angry birds etc) however this time round on 2.0 I found that after the restore the apps Force Close. If I reinstall them from the backup location on the memory card it works. In regards to Google play I havent had any problems with my phone or tablet so far.

Comment

Originally posted by silversurfers25 View Post
            I have always used my backup pro to backup my apps and then after a flash install the APK's without the data (only data for save games like Angry birds etc) however this time round on 2.0 I found that after the restore the apps Force Close. If I reinstall them from the backup location on the memory card it works. In regards to Google play I havent had any problems with my phone or tablet so far.
            I warned in my readme about restoring from a backup. This is a new ROM really. I am also spoofing a galaxy tab so you guy see more apps in the market. So understand when installing an APP, some apps will look at your "build.prop" and DECIDE how to installed. So even a backup of a installed APP may not work on this ROM because it installed in a way that is no longer compatible. So yes VERY possible some apps will have to be reintsalled manually.

Bob
            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I use Titanium but per Bob's advice, I also backup individual apps using ES File Explorer. It is basic, easy to use and FREE!!! Saved my butt when I moved to Gingercomb.
              "May the Schwartz be with you"

Comment

Originally posted by Gamer819 View Post
                I use Titanium but per Bob's advice, I also backup individual apps using ES File Explorer. It is basic, easy to use and FREE!!! Saved my butt when I moved to Gingercomb.
                That's why I'm able to install an older version of the app that should be marked as purchased.

Comment

That's why I'm able to install an older version of the app that should be marked as purchased.
                  Google needs to get it together. You are one of many lately that have been having trouble with purchased Apps. Mine show up everytime I flash. I wander if it has anything to do with accounts being from across the pond or state side
                  "May the Schwartz be with you"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                    I warned in my readme about restoring from a backup. This is a new ROM really. I am also spoofing a galaxy tab so you guy see more apps in the market. So understand when installing an APP, some apps will look at your "build.prop" and DECIDE how to installed. So even a backup of a installed APP may not work on this ROM because it installed in a way that is no longer compatible. So yes VERY possible some apps will have to be reintsalled manually.

Bob
                    Haha, I did read but its always worth a shot. I use backup pro on my phone between the Google,Sense and CM7 aswell as the ICS roms and so far havent had any problems

Comment

FWIW, I have been using APK Batch Installer Tool from xda-developers to routinely backup and reinstall apps when I flash updated ROMs on my Rezound or my Arnova. Since it's a reinstaller, not a backup/restore process, apps are much better behaved after the ROMs are changed. I find myself using Titanium more for occasional data restorations or recovering old apps I decided I needed for a day or two, and less for comprehensive system restores. This tool even works over wifi if you have a wifi adb client on the device (which I have to use for my Rezound since it's mount-to-PC function was lost).

That doesn't mean I don't routinely backup, only that when I'm getting ready to flash something, I do a complete apk backup with this tool (which is not unlike the method Bob discussed using Terminal mode and su commands).
                      Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
                      HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
                      Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

Just used APK Batch Installer with adbWireless, works really well.
                        Probably combine as you did with TB.

We'll see how all this works with the new rom!

Comment

hey bob, hows 2.1 coming along?

Comment

OK, I've been using 2.0 since the night you posted it. I've been waiting on further development to try 2.0a, since it seems you have come a long way even since that version. Aside of my audio problems, you've mentioned fixing I have run into some other things that you might be interested in.

Google Play shows all my purchases every time I load it. I haven't experieced the problems mentioned by others. What I do have a problem with it that when I do updates from GP, I get insufficient storage errors until the 3rd or 4th try. Every day, when I boot, and it tries to autoupdate, I'm getting errors left and right. I'm not sure what's causing this, since I'm only using about 500mb of the alotted 2gb of space.

That's not the only error I get, though. Sometimes it is an invalid package error after a download. I have to reboot and redownload the apk for this to clear up.

The memory leak you talked about is alive and well on my tablet, so I am using Android Assistant to clear out RAM regularly, but only on apps that aren't saving data. I've noticed that if I don't have something to clean the RAM, it slows everything down. I've had to use the reset button with a paper clip to get out of a couple of freezes due to too much stuff going on at once.

Another cool feature of Andorid Assistant automatically saves a copy of every APK to the SD card. It isn't a data backup, but it will allow me to reinstall apk's without having to redownload.
                            Randy
                            Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                            Read my BIO Here
                            Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                            Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                              OK, I've been using 2.0 since the night you posted it. I've been waiting on further development to try 2.0a, since it seems you have come a long way even since that version. Aside of my audio problems, you've mentioned fixing I have run into some other things that you might be interested in.

Google Play shows all my purchases every time I load it. I haven't experieced the problems mentioned by others. What I do have a problem with it that when I do updates from GP, I get insufficient storage errors until the 3rd or 4th try. Every day, when I boot, and it tries to autoupdate, I'm getting errors left and right. I'm not sure what's causing this, since I'm only using about 500mb of the alotted 2gb of space.

That's not the only error I get, though. Sometimes it is an invalid package error after a download. I have to reboot and redownload the apk for this to clear up.

The memory leak you talked about is alive and well on my tablet, so I am using Android Assistant to clear out RAM regularly, but only on apps that aren't saving data. I've noticed that if I don't have something to clean the RAM, it slows everything down. I've had to use the reset button with a paper clip to get out of a couple of freezes due to too much stuff going on at once.

Another cool feature of Andorid Assistant automatically saves a copy of every APK to the SD card. It isn't a data backup, but it will allow me to reinstall apk's without having to redownload.
                              Totally agree with you on all above...i am on 2.0a...experienced same problems...so.used that android assistant and runs much better...hopefully 2.1 (2.0d) will sort the memory leak at least...i wont use android assistant on new rom of course...looking forward to testing it out over the next few days

Sent from my Arnova 10 g2

Comment

While I believe I have solved much of the memory leak issue, I can tell you some apps are just NASTY about wanting to start up all the time. In testing I found this to be true even on the Arnova ROMs depending on what you have installed. Having "location services" working on 2.0 ROM is a double edged sword because apps that now can do location services, get real nasty about loading and taking memory.

I now understand why there are all these APPs out there that FREEZE apps, task killers, etc.

So again while I believe I have solved all the OS level memory leaks, I can tell you that depending on what you have installed it's still a problem. It's been there since the start but Arnova somehow built in a task killer / memory manager that we do not have in 2.0. It's on my list to try and fix this further and see if I can reuse what Arnova built in MAYBE.....

BUT DAMN IT..... Without kernel sources I am getting to the limit of what I can do with the stock Arnova kernel!!!!!

Bob
                                "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                                "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                                "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                                "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                                "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                                "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                                "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                                "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                                "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Working...
                                X