Arnova 10G2 Finless Bob's "GingerComb" Custom ROM Version 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Finless View Post
    I am going to be away most fo the day today. My Dad is getting out of the hospital and Iam going to hang with him for awhile.

Anyway, not sure I understand the question?
    Your tablet is 4gb
    I allocted extra space is /system for rooted apps. This does not get reported on the memory info screen.
    So /system with ext4 is 315 megs
    I also allocated 2 gig of "user" space in my 2.0 ROM (it was 1 gig on my 1.5 ROM). This is what is reported as "internal storage". This is where APPs go when installed, user data that APPs create, databases, etc.

This leaves about 1 gigs left for what Arnova uses as "the internal sdcard" or NAND FLASH.

Now what the screen says for NAND flash is screwy and always has been. it is reporting the same number always that I see. Total space 1.03gb and available space as 1.03gb for instance. Again this is your internal sdcard.

Now here is one little problem I have explained before. When you insert an external sdcard Arnova mounts that as /sdcard thus making the internal sdcard memory no longer accessable. If you remove your external sdcard and reboot you will see the memory settings will show you about 1.x gig of sdcard space. This goes bye bye when you insert an external sdcard.

Now finally whats happens to memory. APPs decide if they are going to store data in /data (internal storage not SD) or use the sdcard. Almost any APP that creates a SQL data base will use /data for that. Data that is considered secure like user accounts etc also go in /data.
    Uninstalling apps may or may not clean up this area!!!! So if you installed something that sucked up a lot of user space and it did not release it, only way to fix it is possibly with SDMaid and have ot look for tombstones or APP data that is no longer used. OR the hatefull "data factory reset"

bOB
    Thanks Bob, that was the clarification I was looking for. I will dig around on the internal and see what I can find.

Glad to hear your dad is comin' home Enjoy your time with him and we will be here when you return.
    "May the Schwartz be with you"

Comment

Have a good day mate, hoping your weather is better than our lol.

The best things in life.... Arent things.

Comment

Update on the memory thing if anyone is interested. I backed up all my apps with TB and reflashed. Restored all my apps with TB and instead of 36 mb availible, I now have 770 mb. Something some where is storing info in the nand and I can't seem to locate it. I used es file explorer and sdmaid and the both report low space but nothing using it.

Happy I got my space back but guess I will need to reflash whenever it gets gummed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamer819 View Post
          Update on the memory thing if anyone is interested. I backed up all my apps with TB and reflashed. Restored all my apps with TB and instead of 36 mb availible, I now have 770 mb. Something some where is storing info in the nand and I can't seem to locate it. I used es file explorer and sdmaid and the both report low space but nothing using it.

Happy I got my space back but guess I will need to reflash whenever it gets gummed up.
          Check /data/data. Some android units cap that space at 150 megabytes, so when 10% or less is free you get the low memory warning. I noticed that some uninstalls don't completely clean up after themselves.

Dumped down the innertubes from my Arnova 10B G2.
          Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
          HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
          Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by HaroldG View Post
            Check /data/data. Some android units cap that space at 150 megabytes, so when 10% or less is free you get the low memory warning. I noticed that some uninstalls don't completely clean up after themselves.

It is crazy Harold! I went through the internal SD with a fine tooth comb and couldn't find any files of any substantial size. I used cleaning apps, analyzing apps, and good old fashioned file explorers. They all report low space but all of the files found were 0.00. I also noticed that additional downloaded data isn't removed after uninstall but that is on my external. I think when I download additional data for games some info is stored internal before moved to external. The problem is when the system marks this info as moved, it still occupies space even though it is gone. Not a big deal to flash.

Comment

I'm showing 311mb used in Application Storage with 1.7gb showing free. I have the auto update feature set on.

Usually, every day when I boot there are a few apps that try to update. The first one goes through ok, but the others show an Insufficient Storage error.

When I go in to manually update, it takes about 3 tries before I get it to work. Sometimes I have to reboot before I have a successful update.

When I look in data/data there are no files.

Each time I do a flash, I don't have the errors for a few days.

I'm not sure what is happening or what needs to be done to fix this.

I'm running the 2.0 ROM with CWM touchless.

Sent via my A10G2
              Randy
              Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
              Read my BIO Here
              Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
              Donate here

Comment

One tidbit that I failed to mention is that I do have a 32gb external sdcard that I leave in all the time. About once a week, I do a disk check in Windows and usually don't have errors, but do occasionally. That's after I find that the sdcard becomes read only. I am getting the errors update errors even when the sdcard appears to be okay.

Sent via my A10G2
                Randy
                Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                Read my BIO Here
                Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                  One tidbit that I failed to mention is that I do have a 32gb external sdcard that I leave in all the time. About once a week, I do a disk check in Windows and usually don't have errors, but do occasionally. That's after I find that the sdcard becomes read only. I am getting the errors update errors even when the sdcard appears to be okay.

Sent via my A10G2
                  Mine also is a 32gb perhaps it don't like the bigger sized cards I seem to have the same problem

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetuk View Post
                    Mine also is a 32gb perhaps it don't like the bigger sized cards I seem to have the same problem
                    Doubt it, unless there's a problem with the card. I have always run with a 32gb card, both in my tablets and in my Android phones.

Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
                    HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
                    Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

now this is awesome wonderful work finless love it!!!

but i have a question

do we have any hope of ever seeing ICS on the 10 g2 i noticed the 9 g2 has ics so are we next??

Comment

Hi bob when you release 2.1 can you do it without cwm as well? Since there seemed to be a few issues...cheers as for the amount of apps I use I'd install from fresh anyway....cheers

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Squirlly Battery Charging

Bob just thought i'd mention this to you, earlier on in this thread i remember someone posting that their battery was acting weird during charging and it was diagnosed as a possible battery/hardware failure, well i dont know if its coincidence or not but tonight i've been having the same problem, prior to this i've had no issue with it, but this is my report. About 8pm i noticed the battery getting low so i plugged in the charger , around 11pm checked it to find that reading was only at 88% and the charging icon was present but not flashing and hour later same reading i unplugged it uninstalled a few apps. downloaded a few and played a few games battery dropped to 75% plugged in charger, came back at 1am reading was at 90% same deal icon present but not flashing and red indicator light on, i unplugged it ran it back down to 80% plugged it back in and charge went back up to 99% this time and its been like that for the past 2 hours at 99% charging icon present but not flashing and red indicator light still on with charger plugged in. Im going to leave it in till the morning when ill check it again to see what i got, my next step is going to be to let the battery drain completly and see what i get on a full recharge.

Comment

Stock ROM does that too. When the tablet is on MANY times it hits 99% and just stays there.
                            I have seen this problem many times. ROMs do not usually cause charging problems. The OS software battery indicator could be a problem but the LED never lies as it is hardware controlled not controlled by the OS.

Bob
                            "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                            "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                            "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                              Stock ROM does that too. When the tablet is on MANY times it hits 99% and just stays there.
                              I have seen this problem many times. ROMs do not usually cause charging problems. The OS software battery indicator could be a problem but the LED never lies as it is hardware controlled not controlled by the OS.

Bob
                              As always, THANKS Bob for taking me to school !

Comment

looking forward to 2.1 Bob, will you also be posting the system.img as before or will it require a complete new set of files? Are we looking at hours or days for a 2.1 release? Always thankful for your great work, and of course it takes as long as it needs to - just always keen to get my hands on your new stuff :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X