Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arnova 10b G3 with EXT4 and CWM - BETA 2 ROM

Just an FYI.

Because I do not have a G3 tablet and actually cannot even test against the G3 kernel, Snakekiller one of our Dev's here on Freaktab has helped me today work on getting better preformance out of the G3 ROMs.

That is "full" ext4 file system support! Not just for /system either! We are going for full ext4 support like all my 1.5 ROMS. No one else has true ext4 support. They may say they do... But they do not! I think you have all seen this in ALL my ROMs since 1.4 (Nextbook, Arnova, etc). Performance is the key and no one else out there knows how to do ext4 properly! I thanks Fenice57 for teaching me this long ago!

Anyway, while I do not have ICS or a G3 tablet to test on, Snakekiller is helping me now and we have made some great progress today!

Expect some awesome updated ICS ROMs (the 10b G3 first) to come soon with performance that matches no others!

SnakeKiller.... THANKS MAN! Together we will make it happen

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Count me in on testing if want.
    Randy

Sent via my A10G2
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

No Problem Randy! You will be one of the first to test it once we work out the issues! What is biting us right now is Recovery.... But I think I have it fixed soon!

FYI good chance this will also include ClockWork recovery!

Bob

Comment

Okay now I'm really excited!!!

Randy

Sent via my A10G2
        Randy
        Read my BIO Here
        Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
        Donate here

Comment

Don't forget the external permissions patch in profile.xml

Sent via my A10G2
          Randy
          Read my BIO Here
          Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
            Don't forget the external permissions patch in profile.xml

Sent via my A10G2
            OK so let's talk about that for a bit...... ICS and Jellybean want to move from the OLD way of how SDcard is mounted to the "new way". I know lots off APPs wont move to SD nor will some of the move to SD APPs work! But this is the way they want to move forward. Over time APP makers will fix thier apps. So we need to support the new way and not take new ROMs back to the old way. There is a reason for this change and it is long term for the better! I don't want to yet again go into why (I have explained it a few times now)... Just trust me this change is for the better long term! We all need to embrace it.

So sorry, I am not going to make that change in a ROM. If users want to, fine. But I do not want to promote the old way thus keeping APP makers from having to update to the new way.

Just my opinion... right, wrong, or indifferent.....

Bob

Comment

No big deal. I know how to fix it.

Sent via my A10G2
              Randy
              Read my BIO Here
              Donate here

Comment

No big deal. I know how to fix it.

Sent via my A10G2
                I know you do

But again..... I think it is important to push on APP makers to convert to the new way. One day the "fix" will get stuck in the middle... well maybe not if the APP makers support either way and not take out the old way! It's just more work for them.... I think they will do it though.

Bob

Comment

I kind of agree.
                  The old way isn't really all that old. Only a year ago I owned my first Froyo tablet, bought my G2 in December and by June I had a G3. Well maybe that's a little weird, but that's how fast the tech has changed. Every time Google puts out another OS, about every 6 months, they need to be careful not to make the products that only came out a year ago (or even 6 months ago) obsolete. There has to be some downward compatibility. It is the app makers that are pulling their hair out, trying to make their apps work for all of these different OS's at the same time.

By the time I get used to doing it one way, and really get comfortable with it...the next generation comes out and changes it. It kind of reminds me of the old Calvin and Hobbs strip when they played "Calvin Ball". The rules were that you couldn't ever follow the same rules twice.

I know it's kind of how Linux has developed...I see new releases/updates every month.

I just grew up a Windows user, who didn't have to worry about changes except for about every 5 years.

It truly fascinates me how Arnova can put out a product with as much potential and load it with a literally half baked OS. Don't get me wrong, I love these tablets...but I wouldn't if I didn't know I could put a Finless ROM on it and make it about the best tablet out there.

My only question is...what is the point of having an SD card, if you can't copy your downloaded media files to it? I don't think it hurts anything to make it writeable.

Randy
                  Randy
                  Read my BIO Here
                  Donate here

Comment

Sorry for the rant, Bob...good luck with that new ROM!!!
                    Randy
                    Randy
                    Read my BIO Here
                    Donate here

Comment

Sorry for the rant, Bob...good luck with that new ROM!!!
                      Randy
                      No worries mate! RANT all you want. ALL the forums and people all pissed off with ICS and this SDcard thigng... The forums are FULL or rants! I completely understand. But as a Dev, I also understand why they want to change things for the better!

But as a simple user (which you are not), I can see how frustrating it can be!

Apple's iOS5 is FAR more polished than Android! Trust me I am a user of both. iOS updates do not break peoples stuff! Android is a immature but growing platform. Sorry to say that but it is! However with that said, Android has HUGE potential to beat iOS for the future! Why? Because people like you and me can change it to "what we like"!
                      Well some might say.... THAT is not a good thing and the reason why Android will never be a "professional" OS is because users can change it...

Well only time will tell how all this works out OS wise. I will just say this. I enjoy Android better than iOS5 because I can change it AND for the better! At least in my mind..

Bob

Comment

I'm looking forward to this as well - I'll definitely be up for testing.
                        So far I've kept on the original Kasty ROM release as I've not had any problems with it - as soon as you'r is ready Bob I'll be there like a flash!!

Cheers
                        Andy

Comment

OK progress made! All partitions are now EXT4 system, data, cache!
                          And guess what? I got ClockWork mod working too....

But I am not counting the chickens yet! I am waiting for snakekiller to do some final testing. I also want to solve the problem of a slow system when user data space is increased.

Stay tuned... I expect to have a ROM very soon.

Bob

Comment

OK a little more status. I got EXT4 working on all partitions.
                            It is a MUCH faster system now. SnakeKiller says it is noticably faster.

But CWM is not working 100%. The backups seem to work but restore bricks the system.

So while I could release this ROM and warn people NOT to use CWM, I think I will work on it a bit more first.

You guys are going to love the performance

Bob

Comment

Never mind.... CWM is working fine. I did a STUPID!!!!
                              My SDcard was corrupt so the CWM back ups were no good. I fixed the sdcard using windows disk tools and all is good now!

It backs up and restores just fine.
                              So folks, whenever you use CWM check your SDcard first! It is easy to get corrupted if your not careful! FAT file system are not robust.

So... A little more to do and I will have a kick butt custom 10b G3 EXT4 ROM out soon.

For now, it's dinner time

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X