Pipo RK3288 Tablets: Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipo RK3288 Tablets: Discussion

Hopefully very soon we will be seeing many new tablets with Rockchip's RK3288 CPU. I hear they are very fast, and come with a better GPU.

Pipo's first RK3288 tablets will be the P1 9.7" tablet, and the P8 7.9" tablet.

I'm looking forward to continued RileyROM development with the RK3288 line.

As of this post, both tablets are still in pre-sell status, but I hear they will out pretty quick.

Feel free to start discussion of the RK3288 tablets here.

As your donations come in, I'm hoping to get a P1. I already have a stack of 7.9" tablets in my cache of test devices...so I'm opting for something a bit bigger.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

about new tablet's specificantions and performance in general, I've seen that tablets equipped with Intel BayTrail-T Z3745D (as the new Teclast X98 3G) are even FASTER (and a lot cheaper) than Pipo P1. See 3D mark results for example.

So I do not think that RK3288 is the "CPU to go" now, also because BayTail CPU support x86 and 64bit, then can be aquipped with Windows 8.1 too.
    BayTrail are built at 22nm, RK3288 at 28nm. So Intel CPU's could probably drain less power.

For the reasons above I think Intel CPUs now are better solution than RK3288. And for the bad support of Pipo, I think that switch to another brand could be good too.
    if you appreciate my efforts this is the link for any donation:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...NonHostedGuest

Comment

P1 is powerful really, but its official ROM is not good.

I have received P1 two days ago. I must say that RK3288 is more powerful than RK3188. They are not the same level. But the official ROM of P1 is very bad like most ROMs of PIPO other tablet's devices, especially at multitasking. So I am looking forward to get your ROM of P1 really as soon as possible.
      Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
      Hopefully very soon we will be seeing many new tablets with Rockchip's RK3288 CPU. I hear they are very fast, and come with a better GPU.Pipo's first RK3288 tablets will be the P1 9.7" tablet, and the P8 7.9" tablet.I'm looking forward to continued RileyROM development with the RK3288 line. As of this post, both tablets are still in pre-sell status, but I hear they will out pretty quick.Feel free to start discussion of the RK3288 tablets here.As your donations come in, I'm hoping to get a P1. I already have a stack of 7.9" tablets in my cache of test devices...so I'm opting for something a bit bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by chanverlao View Post
        I have received P1 two days ago. I must say that RK3288 is more powerful than RK3188. They are not the same level. But the official ROM of P1 is very bad like most ROMs of PIPO other tablet's devices, especially at multitasking. So I am looking forward to get your ROM of P1 really as soon as possible.

As usual we are the beta tester for PIPO!!!!
        RK3288 is faster than any RK3188 device, but for what I've seen till now it is slower than Intel BayTrail CPU Z3735D...

What about battery duration?

I've read somewhere that there is the possibility to send back the m6pro (or similar tablet) and pay a difference for pipo P1. Do you know anything about it?

Comment

Vs: Pipo P1 and P8 tablets with RK3288

Cant really compare arm vs. x89 like that.
          x89 will always be more powerfull and always* use more battery.

*Intel hopes to outcome this and are using n+1 $$$ for x86 development compared Rockchips whole company value. Intel has tried to develop mobile friendly chipset for easy 8years now. Now at 2014 they are close to succeed with x86 chipset and acceptable batterylife. Only after 10billion $$ spent

For Android use: rk3288 >> Intel Baytrail. If you want a laptop buy a laptop. Or one of those win 8.1 tablets. Pipo has 8inch win 8.1 tablet in pipeline btw. Because Intel gives chipset practically free to get marketshare + microsoft is giving win 8.1 free to get marketshare.

Comment

Please forgive my ignorance! can you tell me something about x89? I know nothing about it.Far as I know, PIPO will launch two tablets with windows 8.1, 7.85" W2 and 10.1" W3. The price of W2 is 799 yuan and the other is 1999 yuan.
            Originally posted by sikke View Post
            Cant really compare arm vs. x89 like that.x89 will always be more powerfull and always* use more battery.*Intel hopes to outcome this and are using n+1 $$$ for x86 development compared Rockchips whole company value. Intel has tried to develop mobile friendly chipset for easy 8years now. Now at 2014 they are close to succeed with x86 chipset and acceptable batterylife. Only after 10billion $$ spent For Android use: rk3288 >> Intel Baytrail. If you want a laptop buy a laptop. Or one of those win 8.1 tablets. Pipo has 8inch win 8.1 tablet in pipeline btw. Because Intel gives chipset practically free to get marketshare + microsoft is giving win 8.1 free to get marketshare.

Comment

Z3735D is X86 architecture and its compatibility is not good for android. Moreever it can not root. There are some discussions about them on "http://www.5fans.com.cn/thread-118531-1-1.html".

I have not tested battery endurance of P1, but these days with P1, it gave me the feeling is enough.

It is true to get p1 tablet by sending back your m6pro and pay the difference. If you send back a WIFI version m6pro with 32G ROM to PIPO company, you just pay 450 yuan. If you send back 16G m6pro, you have to pay 550 yuan. The difference of WCDMA version is 600 yuan.

If you have a QQ account. you can get More detailed information on QQ group of 278573193.278573193

Originally posted by giouncino View Post
              As usual we are the beta tester for PIPO!!!!
              RK3288 is faster than any RK3188 device, but for what I've seen till now it is slower than Intel BayTrail CPU Z3735D...

What about battery duration?

I've read somewhere that there is the possibility to send back the m6pro (or similar tablet) and pay a difference for pipo P1. Do you know anything about it?

Comment

Originally posted by sikke View Post
                Cant really compare arm vs. x89 like that.
                x89 will always be more powerfull and always* use more battery.

*Intel hopes to outcome this and are using n+1 $$$ for x86 development compared Rockchips whole company value. Intel has tried to develop mobile friendly chipset for easy 8years now. Now at 2014 they are close to succeed with x86 chipset and acceptable batterylife. Only after 10billion $$ spent

For Android use: rk3288 >> Intel Baytrail. If you want a laptop buy a laptop. Or one of those win 8.1 tablets. Pipo has 8inch win 8.1 tablet in pipeline btw. Because Intel gives chipset practically free to get marketshare + microsoft is giving win 8.1 free to get marketshare.
                What you are telling seems not true to me.
                As far as I've seen, battery duration for Intel BaytrailT and Rk3288 seems comparable, but about performance on android are better for Intel.
                You can be root with in intel and android too. There is no limitation on this topic
                Intel GPU is faster then Rk3288 one.

AND with Intel CPU you have a 64bit capable CPU,
                AND if you want you can install Windows 8.1

I do not see, at the moment, any benefit for RK3288 wrt Intel baytrail tablet. (now I've a RK3188 tablet, so I'm not a "fan" of intel).

PS: The fact that intel spent tons of dollars in R&D in my opinion is A GREAT thing! The more they spent the more COULD be advanced their product! So, what's wrong with that?
                Last edited by giouncino; 06-23-2014, 10:25.

Comment

Originally posted by chanverlao View Post
                  Z3735D is X86 architecture and its compatibility is not good for android. Moreever it can not root. There are some discussions about them on "http://www.5fans.com.cn/thread-118531-1-1.html".

I have not tested battery endurance of P1, but these days with P1, it gave me the feeling is enough.

It is true to get p1 tablet by sending back your m6pro and pay the difference. If you send back a WIFI version m6pro with 32G ROM to PIPO company, you just pay 450 yuan. If you send back 16G m6pro, you have to pay 550 yuan. The difference of WCDMA version is 600 yuan.

If you have a QQ account. you can get More detailed information on QQ group of 278573193.278573193

For us that don't use QQ, can u give us more information about that? (about changing it to 3288)

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmen View Post
                    For us that don't use QQ, can u give us more information about that? (about changing it to 3288)
                    I asked directly to Anna Ye.
                    I'll post here her answer.

UPDATE:
                    here is the Anna's answer (NO COMMENT...):

Dear Friend,

I didn't hear about this.

And I have no idea about this.

Best regards,

Anna
                    PiPo Technology Co,.Ltd(digisino group)
                    金森数码产品(深圳)有限公司
                    Email: [email protected]
                    Last edited by giouncino; 06-24-2014, 22:07.

Comment

What you are telling seems not true to me.
                      As far as I've seen, battery duration for Intel BaytrailT and Rk3288 seems comparable, but about performance on android are better for Intel.
                      You can be root with in intel and android too. There is no limitation on this topic
                      Intel GPU is faster then Rk3288 one.
                      Do you have any proof that intel's BayTrail-T Z3725D is more powerful then RK3288?

I have researched this for long time, as I wanted first to buy onda v975i, but now I want Pipo P1, because benchmarks say completely the opposite from what you try to make others believe.

See yourself.
                      http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2014/...gets-a-review/ (Z3745D benchmark)
                      http://www.pipo.cn/bbs/forum.php?mod...3&fromuid=6264 (rk3288 benchmark)
                      RK3288 is beating in almost every case, including GPU!
                      Total score comparison 41k vs 28k, that's a win by pretty large margin.

I have also seen geekbench benchmark results, (pure CPU related) and there they are about the same.

64bit architecture of intel is of no use with 2GB of RAM, it will actually work slower and consume more CPU and RAM. It would make more sense if there was more then 3GB or RAM.

Another win for rk3288 - it is released with android 4.4 out of box vs 4.2 on Z3735D.

And the last shot.
                      Z3735D is limited to single channel DDR3 vs dual channel DDR3 on rk3288.

Comment

Originally posted by yalok View Post
                        Do you have any proof that intel's BayTrail-T Z3725D is more powerful then RK3288?

I have researched this for long time, as I wanted first to buy onda v975i, but now I want Pipo P1, because benchmarks say completely the opposite from what you try to make others believe.

See yourself.
                        http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2014/...gets-a-review/ (Z3745D benchmark)
                        http://www.pipo.cn/bbs/forum.php?mod...3&fromuid=6264 (rk3288 benchmark)
                        RK3288 is beating in almost every case, including GPU!
                        Total score comparison 41k vs 28k, that's a win by pretty large margin.

I have also seen geekbench benchmark results, (pure CPU related) and there they are about the same.

64bit architecture of intel is of no use with 2GB of RAM, it will actually work slower and consume more CPU and RAM. It would make more sense if there was more then 3GB or RAM.

Another win for rk3288 - it is released with android 4.4 out of box vs 4.2 on Z3735D.

And the last shot.
                        Z3735D is limited to single channel DDR3 vs dual channel DDR3 on rk3288.
                        Take a look on futuremark results of both GPUs: intel based tablets have better results.
                        I do not make others "believe" nothing. I don't understand why you attack me in such a way!!!! You can believe everithing you prefer.
                        I will not buy pipo product anymore. Their support have been totally useless to me.

I will probably go for the new cube talk 9x, better design and very good performance/battery lasting and android kitkat STABLE FROM THE BEGINNIG

Comment

Take a look on futuremark results of both GPUs: intel based tablets have better results.
                          I do not make others "believe" nothing. I don't understand why you attack me in such a way!!!! You can believe everithing you prefer.
                          I will not buy pipo product anymore. Their support have been totally useless to me.
                          Sorry, that attack was rude from my side. I didn't mean to offend you. Apologies.

I have checked futuremark results and they are about the same. For Ice Storm Extreme intel's Z3735D average score is 7909 and rk3288 is 7709.
                          ~2.5% performance lead is insignificant and could be due to "errors" during benchmarking.

Cube talk 9x is nice, has an older ARM architecture and older/slower GPU(still, more then enough for my casual movie/clip watching), but that could be a plus, maybe it consumes less energy though.

Comment

Originally posted by yalok View Post
                            Sorry, that attack was rude from my side. I didn't mean to offend you. Apologies.

I have checked futuremark results and they are about the same. For Ice Storm Extreme intel's Z3735D average score is 7909 and rk3288 is 7709.
                            ~2.5% performance lead is insignificant and could be due to "errors" during benchmarking.

Cube talk 9x is nice, has an older ARM architecture and older/slower GPU(still, more then enough for my casual movie/clip watching), but that could be a plus, maybe it consumes less energy though.
                            I totally agree with you this time!

In the end intel and rk3288 seems almost equivalent for now (optimization and stability could be the difference).
                            At the moment intel solutions have a more mature/stable kernel.
                            I'm not a gamer at all, again I agree that arm cortex A7 is an old architecture now, but I suppose IGZO display and A7 could help to have a light and "battery saving" tablet.

Allwinner A80 architecture seems promising too...

Comment

As a developer, this might seem a little selfish...but I tend to lean toward platforms I know.

I can make Rockchip ROM's sing and dance....I'm getting comfortable with MTK ROM's, but this Intel architecture would take me a while to learn.

I'm leaning toward the RK3288 platform, myself. Although these new Octa-core MTK's are very nice.
                              Randy
                              Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                              Donate here

Comment

Working...
                              X