Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay. Now the real test begins. Omnirom

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
      YES!

I think it is safe to say that I am VERY close to releasing a whole bunch of stuff...

TWRP works! It turns out that I didn't need to port any features from the stock Rockchip recovery, once I learned how Rockchip was doing things, I found my own workaround that didn't require adding any new features to TWRP.

To give you an idea of how close I am to release... here is a list of some of things that appear to be working:

• TWRP Fix Permissions bug I mentioned previously was fixed by a TWRP source code update.
      • TWRP UI Layout has been modified to fit our device screen.
      • TWRP backup and restore work for ALL partitions on the device. (Including parameter and bootloader!)
      • TWRP Wiping works for ANY partition on the device. (Including /data, /cache, /dalvik and /sdcard which didn't always work correctly in stock recovery.)
      • TWRP Flashing works for ALL partitions using standard .zip update files. (Including /parameter to change partition layout sizes and /misc for bootloader!)

So... here's what is left to do...

• Write the scripts for the various update packages.
      • Prepare and package the update files.
      • Test to verify all the updates are applied correctly.
      • Upload the update packages.
      • Write up the posts and publicly release the files.

I think it is going to work like this:

• Install TWRP Recovery using stock recovery.
      • Backup ALL of your existing partitions. (Or don't... just don't blame me if something goes horribly wrong...)
      • Flash the parameter file for your desired partition layout.
      • Reboot to recovery and wipe /data, /cache, and reformat /sdcard. (I might automate this.)
      • Optional: Flash a new version of my ROM.
      • Reboot Android and enjoy!

Stay tuned...

ShaunMT
      Great news! Did you figure out how to eliminate the internal SD making it all data, and making the external SD the only SD?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Man View Post
        Great news! Did you figure out how to eliminate the internal SD making it all data, and making the external SD the only SD?
        I know how it should work, and I have been thinking about it, but I haven't tested it...

Eliminating the internal sd, means changing the mount points in addition to changing the parameter file, which means either adding an init.d script to change them at boot time or a making a different boot image which means a completely separate ROM.

Either solution would result in an internal sd card partition that fails to mount in recovery and a normal external sd card in recovery. I think I would be ok with this, but it could be confusing for users.

I've also considered a /data/media layout where the sdcard is symlinked to /data, making all the space available, but again this requires an init.d script or boot image change. It also results in an sd card partition that gets wiped when /data gets wiped in recovery.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Patiently waiting...good to hear progress is being made.
          Hurry...patients...patients...patients...thanks for the work.

Comment

So is tarp fully functional? Plus what kind of partition layout does this tablet use?

Comment

So is tarp fully functional?
              It will be...

Plus what kind of partition layout does this tablet use?
              I assume you are referring to what sizes the /data and /sdcard partitions will be?

There will be a couple of different options to choose from.

ShaunMT
              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Awesome. Since this tablet came with at least 7gb of storage think you can get that to us

Comment

Re: ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
                  Awesome. Since this tablet came with at least 7gb of storage think you can get that to us
                  The tablet has an 8gb nand memory chip.

Approximately 5.75 gb is currently split between /data and /sdcard and can be moved back and forth from one to the other.

The rest is divided up between other parts of the firmware and should probably be left alone, although I might take some space from /sdcard to add to /cache.

ShaunMT

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Any rough time estimate on the release?

Comment

Any rough time estimate on the release?
                        I was hoping for this weekend, but it's probably not going to happen.

I found what seems to be a bug in TWRP that is preventing the flash of the some of the partitions (including the parameter partition where the partition sizes are located) from working correctly.

I'm currently trying to determine if I can fix it or if I need to work around it... It really needs to be fixed because it could cause other things to fail to install as well.

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                          I was hoping for this weekend, but it's probably not going to happen.

I found what seems to be a bug in TWRP that is preventing the flash of the some of the partitions (including the parameter partition where the partition sizes are located) from working correctly.

I'm currently trying to determine if I can fix it or if I need to work around it... It really needs to be fixed because it could cause other things to fail to install as well.

ShaunMT
                          Ok thanks for everything, keep up the good work, we'll hang tight, and let us know if you need anything from us. Good luck.

Comment

Ok thanks for everything, keep up the good work, we'll hang tight, and let us know if you need anything from us. Good luck.
                            Once I get this current issue sorted out, and finish getting the update .zip packages together, I'll probably need a few testers.

Until then, thanks for everyone's patience.

It's going to be worth the wait!

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Ill test the first of twrp

Comment

Still patiently waiting. Oh yeah I would be willing to test as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X