Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exile1975 View Post
    Hopefully no one would need them packaged that way, but you know us (you're users) we'll play around and need them eventually... Otherwise we wouldn't be waiting with baited breath for your recovery and ROM. Thank you so much for the hard work.
    What recovery do you guys using Oma's ROM have? Are you guys using a version of CWM recovery? If so, does it work correctly?

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

I used Oma's ROM for a little while, ended up using rktools to revert to stock in an attempt to fix my battery issues. In an aside, i tried doing your fix, even factory reset afterwards and i still have random shutdown under 45%. Almost forgot, the CWM 6.0.3.1 included in the ROM works for what it does, but your TWRP sounds much more full featured

Comment

Originally posted by Exile1975 View Post
        I used Oma's ROM for a little while, ended up using rktools to revert to stock in an attempt to fix my battery issues. In an aside, i tried doing your fix, even factory reset afterwards and i still have random shutdown under 45%.
        What recovery did Oma's ROM have?

Which fix did you try? The battery calibration or opening the tablet to fix the loose battery plug?

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
          What recovery did Oma's ROM have?

Which fix did you try? The battery calibration or opening the tablet to fix the loose battery plug?

ShaunMT
          I tried both fixes, i tried opening the case and even tho my plug seemed secure i undid it and reseated it.. Let it run for a day and when i was still having problems redid that and after fully charging tried to calibrate. I still had problems and then tried using a script from xda by zeppelinrox and still no luck. I only use it at home so I'm pretty much willing to live with it. I edited my post above to include info from my cwm experience.

Comment

I use OMA with twrp. The basic cwm is good but lacks a lot. When you get the partitions out for the sdcard I'll reload your rom

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
              What recovery do you guys using Oma's ROM have? Are you guys using a version of CWM recovery? If so, does it work correctly?

ShaunMT
              Shaunmt:
              I have installed your modified rom, and Oma's rom. I am currently running Oma's rom, And yes, CWM works great. I have used CWM recovery on my phones and another tablet, so was comfortable with it.

I would prefer to install new roms using CWM currently installed. Can you make a .zip that would install with CWM? (BTW, Arctools will work to install 6.0.3.1 CWM on Shaunmt ROM, too. So you can have CWM recovery on either ROM.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mhunt13 View Post
                Shaunmt:
                I have installed your modified rom, and Oma's rom. I am currently running Oma's rom, And yes, CWM works great. I have used CWM recovery on my phones and another tablet, so was comfortable with it.

I would prefer to install new roms using CWM currently installed. Can you make a .zip that would install with CWM? (BTW, Arctools will work to install 6.0.3.1 CWM on Shaunmt ROM, too. So you can have CWM recovery on either ROM.)
                In theory... any update.zip's that I make (with the possible exception of the parameter patches), should also work in CWM (assuming CWM works correctly).

I'm not going to do any CWM testing, but here is how I think things may or may not work in CWM:

The parameter patches might not work in CWM... they require the /parameter partition to be configured in the recovery.fstab and also require openrecovery support which is a bit different in CWM than in TWRP... they might work, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't...

I will release an update.zip that only installs TWRP recovery. This should allow people with CWM to flash TWRP instead.

The update.zip for the ROM should work in either CWM or TWRP.... it will most likely only flash the /system and /boot partitions. It will be the same as the ROM I previously released, just a different install method, that doesn't reflash all the stock parts that were included in the rkimage version.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Just want to say thank you..

I just want to say thank you for still doing things with these nextbook tablets. I think your updates and images for this tablet are wonderful. I went back and re-installed the original rom from nextbook to my wife's tablet like last month and all the same problems popped up with it. I can say easily I am putting your image back on her tablet cause nextbook don't want t do anything with are tablet cause of not having the recpit for it. Oh well we both support what you do with these walmart cheap tablets. It's also cool to see that you keep on trying to come up with new things like different data sizes for the on board to. I think its wonderful ShaunMT. Keep up the AWESOME work!!

Comment

Originally posted by kyuketzu View Post
                    I just want to say thank you for still doing things with these nextbook tablets. I think your updates and images for this tablet are wonderful. I went back and re-installed the original rom from nextbook to my wife's tablet like last month and all the same problems popped up with it. I can say easily I am putting your image back on her tablet cause nextbook don't want t do anything with are tablet cause of not having the recpit for it. Oh well we both support what you do with these walmart cheap tablets. It's also cool to see that you keep on trying to come up with new things like different data sizes for the on board to. I think its wonderful ShaunMT. Keep up the AWESOME work!!
                    Thanks for the show of support!

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Can someone please help me?

I am a complete beginner to tablets. Holy Cow, you guys are geniuses..All the acronyms and jargon is making my head spin. Anyway, I bought this tablet and was disappointed with the lack of space to install new apps and other things so I read all the posts on this topic and installed ShaunMT's ROM. I think it worked but I'm not really sure how to proceed. This is what I am trying to do: I want to erase apps that I do not need and I want to be able to put new apps that I download onto External SD storage or NAND FLASH (whatever that is). I currently have 4GB of NAND FLASH available. I downloaded ES File Explorer in hopes that I could simply click on an installed app that I want to erase and erase it but I am having trouble figuring out how exactly to do that. Please help me with this and explain how to erase apps and install apps to NAND FLASH or external SD like you would to a 3rd grader...

Also, ShaunMT says on page one of this thread "After install... I strongly advise doing a factory reset and recommend erasing internal SD card also." I did the factory reset but didn't know how to erase internal SD card. Please explain how with easy directions. I am really frustrated, yelling at the kids/pets, blood pressure is rising, and I need help please. I would be willing to pay for help. Thank you for your time and assistance. You should be proud of yourselves for your abilities!
                      Last edited by mjatmjatmjat; 11-15-2014, 20:20.

Comment

Originally posted by mjatmjatmjat View Post
                        I am a complete beginner to tablets. Holy Cow, you guys are geniuses..All the acronyms and jargon is making my head spin. Anyway, I bought this tablet and was disappointed with the lack of space to install new apps and other things so I read all the posts on this topic and installed ShaunMT's ROM. I think it worked but I'm not really sure how to proceed. This is what I am trying to do: I want to erase apps that I do not need and I want to be able to put new apps that I download onto External SD storage or NAND FLASH (whatever that is). I currently have 4GB of NAND FLASH available. I downloaded ES File Explorer in hopes that I could simply click on an installed app that I want to erase and erase it but I am having troubles figuring out how exactly to do that. Please help me with this and explain how to erase apps and install apps to NAND FLASH or external SD like you would to a 3rd grader...

Also, ShaunMT says on page one of this thread "After install... I strongly advise doing a factory reset and recommend erasing internal SD card also." I did the factory reset but didn't know how to erase internal SD card. Please explain how with easy directions. I am really frustrated, yelling at the kids/pets, blood pressure is rising, and I need help please. I would be willing to pay for help. Thank you for your time and assistance. You should be proud of yourselves for your abilities!
                        Well he says factory reset due to the internal storage not mounting. Also to remove apps that you don't want you have to have superuser installed and an app that can uninstall them

Comment

How do you install apps to Nand Flash or External SD?

Originally posted by mel4787 View Post
                          Well he says factory reset due to the internal storage not mounting. Also to remove apps that you don't want you have to have superuser installed and an app that can uninstall them

Thanks for your response. I installed superuser and an app that can remove apps I do not want and it worked. My remaining question is how to install apps directly to Nand Flash or External SD. Thanks for any help.

Comment

That storage is used for other things like ebooks and others. Shaunmt is working on a patch so we can get more storage for this device

Comment

Currently you can't directly install apps to the internal or external SD's, but you CAN move some apps to the internal SD once they are already installed. I use AppMgr III.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...DtG2yAT02oDABQ

Comment

Originally posted by mjatmjatmjat View Post
                                Thanks for your response. I installed superuser and an app that can remove apps I do not want and it worked. My remaining question is how to install apps directly to Nand Flash or External SD. Thanks for any help.
                                NAND Flash refers to the type of internal memory chip contained in this tablet. It's the same type of memory that is inside a USB Flash or Thumb Drive... On an android device that uses NAND Flash memory, the memory space is partitioned into virtual mounted drive partitions such as /boot, /system, /data, /recovery and /sdcard (a fake internal sd card) and possibly other partitions depending on the device...

The other users who responded to you are correct in that:

1. The current Android operating system versions only support Apps on the primary sdcard mounted at /sdcard. There are two reasons for this... first, Android was not designed to look for apps outside /system, /data or /sdcard and there is no standard way of naming the mount points for multiple sd cards... second, sdcards are often formatted fat32 so that they will appear when plugged in to ANY computer, but the most recent versions of Android enforce Unix file permissions which don't work on fat32 formatted sdcards.

Additionally, the developer(s) of each Android app decide where their app can be installed. Some install to /data/apps by default, some install part or all of the app in /sdcard, some allow you to move them after install and some don't... their decision is enforced by the Android system. This is why some apps can move and some cannot.

2. The others are also correct that I am currently working on some patches that will increase the size of the /data partition (where most apps usually go) by decreasing the size of the "internal" /sdcard. I hope these will be done soon, but testing has been troublesome and I've been extremely busy with real life recently.

I hope that answers your questions in greater detail. Keep reading the forums for future updates.

ShaunMT
                                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X