UG802 - broken Micro-USB - soldering Cable to PCB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UG802 - broken Micro-USB - soldering Cable to PCB

Perhaps a Solution for broken Micro-USB ...

Solder an USB-Cable to the PCB - shield can be connected to GND

Attention do not connect PIN 4, if connected your Device will not be recognized.

Last edited by froen0815; 11-07-2012, 12:22.

So you are saying this method makes a normal USB cable replace the mini one? You can still use it for power and data?

Comment

Yes it should work.
      Usualy the Micro-Usb is only soldered through its Data-Connections. Because of the great Ground-Plane there was not enough heat so solder the Case of the Micro-Usb to the required Pads and thats the reason why you read so often about broken USB-Connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by froen0815 View Post
        Yes it should work.
        Usualy the Micro-Usb is only soldered through its Data-Connections. Because of the great Ground-Plane there was not enough heat so solder the Case of the Micro-Usb to the required Pads and thats the reason why you read so often about broken USB-Connectors.
        Thanks for sharing! Mine is broken to.

Comment

Be Very Careful Guys

This has been tried before. This is very difficult to do by non professional.
          Here is some info done by jim11525 who tried this solder hack.
          As you can see in the photo it is very small solder points. Home solder job is not pin point small.
          You need to be very skilled to do it. And use thin wire as bob states for good contact.
          It is possible to do but I would take it to a cell phone repair shop and get a quote.

Originally posted by jim11525 View Post
          Hi Bob, I managed to solder the four wires (Vcc, D-, D+, GND) after the micro usb port on my ug802 broke off. The other data wire was soldered onto the other capacitor. I bricked the ug802 so it was a last resort, so that i could then short the 2 pads to get into recovery and flash the stock rom . Everthing back to normal with your rom reinstalled via sd card. CAUTION this soldering mod is very difficult , i only attempted it as a last resort, using a pc microscope and modified soldering iron. Keep up the good work Bob.
          Originally posted by Finless View Post
          Jim, if you get some small diameter wire this would have been a lot easier. It's called "wire wrap" wire and is very thin. Perfect for soldering to surface mount components!

When using heavy wire like you used, the amount of heat required to solder can actually desolder those surface mount components!

What I would have done is glued down the original connector then run the solder wrap wire to those points. Nice and tidy and works well. I have done a lot of board repair like this.

Bob
          Originally posted by jim11525 View Post
          I have just put it all back together and connected it to my tv, and dont fancy disturbing it again at the moment. Basically i carefully scraped a small area of the blue insulation from the circuit board connected to pin 1 and soldered the red wire there. I ground the tip of my soldering iron to a thin point, because i had to solder the data wires on the edge of what look like surface mounted capacitors and i didnt want to short anything (everthing is micro small). As i said my ug was out of action and i would have had to throw it away, so nothing to lose. If your unit is working i would be tempted to use a usb hub and power it through that. You can then update using the sd card . Good luck. nb. please also read Bobs comment.
          Attached Files

Comment

Is bob saying to run the wire wrap onto the original micro connections or to solder the wire wrap on the usb data points as in the above picture?

Comment

Originally posted by 123421342 View Post
              Is bob saying to run the wire wrap onto the original micro connections or to solder the wire wrap on the usb data points as in the above picture?
              Good question. I have no first hand knowledge on this technique.
              Do some google and youtube research on wire wrap circuit boards.
              Maybe PM Bob for detailed info. Its not a simple solder job.
              More like a circuit board operation.

Comment

Here is another solution... Solder on new 5 pin female micro usb connector.
                Again I would hire a professional to do this solder job.
                Very small connections must be resoldered perfectly.

**** link to 5 pin female micro usb connector...
                http://www.****.com/itm/5Pcs-Micro-U...item2a1d935f3d
                Attached Files

Comment

hello guys
                  I soldered the wire now.
                  power seems to be ok lights.
                  but I can not install the drivers.
                  I always write driver unknown.
                  may be a problem of the welds?

Comment

I soldered to the Points shown above, because the Pads where the Connector has been, are gone .
                    With an USB-Cable connectet to this Points, i was able to flash the ROMs using the hard Way.

I secured the connected wire with Epoxid-Glue so it will stick together and don't rip off.

Last edited by froen0815; 11-07-2012, 12:09.

Comment

I do not understand the written driver remains unknown

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	429282

Comment

I think you should not connect the red Wire there where you did.

There is a VCC-Plane where to connect the red Wire, it's near by the two Capacities are not connected yet.

Comment

one moment!!!!!!!!
                          photo of the first post and the photo of post # 5 have white and green reversed!

Comment

my fault, i'll have to change the colors

Comment

then I have the cables to the contrary?? I swap them??

Comment

Working...
                              X