OLD - UG802 2dark4u/Finless custom ROM version 1.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple things I've tested so far

Droidmote server/client works with my phone, but lags a bit at times.
    Can't change wallpaper
    Wifi is a bit weak
    Hulu Plus is not supported
    TV.COM slow choppy video
    Haven't figured out how to place apps to the home screen.
    My TV's USB port doesn't power the UG802 unless I switch TV to USB mode, but then I get no picture.

For me, its not ready to be used as my HTPC, but its getting there.

Comment

Originally posted by jchau View Post
      I am running a 5VDC 2A power supply and direct connection to the TV through HDMI.
      What kind of power supply? Even when they say an amperage unless its a good supply they may not actually give you two.

Comment

Originally posted by twiddler View Post
        Couple things I've tested so far

Droidmote server/client works with my phone, but lags a bit at times.
        Can't change wallpaper
        Wifi is a bit weak
        Hulu Plus is not supported
        TV.COM slow choppy video
        Haven't figured out how to place apps to the home screen.
        My TV's USB port doesn't power the UG802 unless I switch TV to USB mode, but then I get no picture.

For me, its not ready to be used as my HTPC, but its getting there.
        My wifi seems okay, not amazing but okay. I get the lag from droidmote too but i dont know if that is just how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by 123421342 View Post
          What kind of power supply? Even when they say an amperage unless its a good supply they may not actually give you two.
          I am using the factory power supply. What power supply are people using? Like I said if it is hooked up to my computer as the power supply it has no problems.

Comment

I would not use the factory supply, I dont trust it. I use my ipad charger and mine works perfectly. 99% sure the problem is due to your PS.

Comment

yeah that is what I am suspecting right now it is the PS that is included. Like I said when powered by my PC it is very stable. Now I need to look for a decent power supply....

Comment

Yeah you can buy an ipad charger if they sell one cheaply or find another reliable one.

Comment

Originally posted by bmonninkhof View Post
                  i Tried several CIFS / mount managers, but non will work on 1.7 ROM.
                  Is there a fix for it?
                  Hi,
                  cifsmanager works pretty well with 1.7 ROM.
                  You have just tto create a mount point, to give the NAS folder on the first line, for example : 192.168.1.XX/Downloads, then you click on the second line, it gives the corresponding local folder name that you can change. You keep the third line with guest, and that's all. You save and mount the folder.
                  It is obvious but you have to be on the same NAS and to give the exact folder name. You have to check if your NAS or your shared computer allows it.

Comment

Originally posted by hammondb4 View Post
                    Hey man, take it easy....I understand you ask for the sources, it is in your rights but....I'm pretty sure they're not making money from that. This is not their work!!! They're doing it for hobby and for joy. Your're not obligated to make donations to benefit from the rom....so don't say stupid things, please.

Also the ads in the page still remain without pubs...but they have to pay the bill of the hosting, haven't they?

If you wanna complain about GPL, do it to ugoos, rikomagic, rockchip and others that are always delaying to release the binaries or sources, but don't do that to the guys that make their products to work better....
                    I have been complaining to those distributing the binaries to the public. RockChip is not obligated to distribute the source to the public because it does not distribute binaries to the public. However, this site does.

Of course Bob benefits from the donations and the notoriety he gets. You've said it yourself that the ads pay for the hosting. Is that any different than paying other expenses, say employee wages and salaries? BTW, do you know how much money comes in from the ads? I don't see any503(c) charitable organization status on this website.

The the Free Software Foundation, being the steward of the GPL, states pretty clearly that if you can't distribute the source you can't distribute the binaries. I quote parts of the GPL FAQ below. Please tell me why you think that asking someone who distributes binaries for source is stupid, especially since it is well known that one of his collaborators, 2dark4u, has the sources.

"Can I release a modified version of a GPL-covered program in binary form only?
                    No. The whole point of the GPL is that all modified versions must be free software—which means, in particular, that the source code of the modified version is available to the users.

I downloaded just the binary from the net. If I distribute copies, do I have to get the source and distribute that too?
                    Yes. The general rule is, if you distribute binaries, you must distribute the complete corresponding source code too. The exception for the case where you received a written offer for source code is quite limited.

[...]

I want to distribute an extended version of a GPL-covered program in binary form. Is it enough to distribute the source for the original version?
                    No, you must supply the source code that corresponds to the binary. Corresponding source means the source from which users can rebuild the same binary.

Part of the idea of free software is that users should have access to the source code for the programs they use. Those using your version should have access to the source code for your version.

A major goal of the GPL is to build up the Free World by making sure that improvement to a free program are themselves free. If you release an improved version of a GPL-covered program, you must release the improved source code under the GPL.

[...]

Using a certain GNU program under the GPL does not fit our project to make proprietary software. Will you make an exception for us? It would mean more users of that program.
                    Sorry, we don't make such exceptions. It would not be right.

Maximizing the number of users is not our aim. Rather, we are trying to give the crucial freedoms to as many users as possible. In general, proprietary software projects hinder rather than help the cause of freedom.

We do occasionally make license exceptions to assist a project which is producing free software under a license other than the GPL. However, we have to see a good reason why this will advance the cause of free software.

We also do sometimes change the distribution terms of a package, when that seems clearly the right way to serve the cause of free software; but we are very cautious about this, so you will have to show us very convincing reasons. "

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                      Now, had the guy asked nicely instead of demanding and being a A-hole, Alex is such a nice guy he probably would have tried to help him if it was possible. But when you project an attitude like what was in his PM's to Alex, your not going to get much help from people doing work for FREE!
                      I asked nicely and Alex/2dark4u told that he won't give me the sources because, I quote, "my work was paid and I can't give you the source of modded drivers".

Comment

Originally posted by asterx View Post
                        Hi,

with all due respect I don't want to press this matter as most likely I won't use the kernel source either, but I think it is important to understand one thing: open source development != giving up Your work. The Linux kernel is published under GPL meaning if You modify the sources and create a derivative work from it You should make Your modifications publicly available (it can be that You send it over in e-mail if requested, publish it on the web, whatever). That's why we can ask the Chinese manufacturers to publish their modified kernels and that's why they should do it too (and probably they think as well, that they don't want to give up their work).

If You did not modify the sources, then naturally it is enough to refer to the already available sources of the source. If You create separate libraries it has different rules again. I think the base of the whole source request was 2dark4u's statement, that he modified 5000 lines in the kernel source. This might as well be a misunderstanding.

Anyhow there is one more important aspect of this question (if the whole thing is not based on a misunderstanding, as said above), that if anyone would like to help with the kernel development currently (s)he should start from scratch, and most likely redo some of the work already done, what is not very efficient. However it's is up to You guys to decide if You a) modified the kernel or not and b) You want to publish Your modifications.

Regards
                        Thank you. Otherwise the sourceless situation is just propagated and the users continue to live in a walled garden, with perhaps a few more guards.

Comment

Originally posted by xr4man View Post
                          the only problem here is that bob and 2dark HAVE put up links here to the source code. it just isn't bundles with teh rom itself, which NOONE does. look at some other roms, uberoid, cyanogenmod, etc. none of them bundle their source code with the rom download. the sources are simply available seperately.

hell even most linux distributions don't have the source code bundled with the download iso. but they are available form the particular distro's site.
                          Where are the exact sources to Finless Bob's ROMs? Other distros are not relevant to the discussion. You're setting up a straw man to confuse the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by asterx View Post
                            Why should we complain to any of these manufacturers? They are just making money from the hardware sales, not from the software. Anyone can run whatever software on their devices. Who is buying these units because of the software they are coming with? So why should they release the source code?
                            I'm sure you bought the hardware because you assumed that either the stock software would work for you or that you could change the stock software to something you like. Of course the fact that the hardware already had Android on it made all the difference. If the hardware had Windows on it you'd think of it differently.

Comment

These are not the exact sources to the kernel in your distro. They are not relevant to this discussion. Again a straw man to confuse issues. There are ways of publishing sources cheaply so 5 Gigs is another straw man. I see that the post you mention uses github, you could too. Also if you provided deltas of the baseline you'd at least make an effort towards GPL compliance. Otherwise, people are not free to make whatever mods they need. You yourself chastized someone in this thread for requesting a feature. Perhaps if he had the sources he'd try to make the change himself. Many people do it. That's how Linux is being developed. What's your interest in keeping us in the dark dependent on your or 2dark4u's fiat?

Comment

Originally posted by bach0405 View Post
                                Hi,
                                cifsmanager works pretty well with 1.7 ROM ... folder on the first line, for example : 192.168.1.XX/Downloads ...
                                Still this doesn't work for me. I can open lan folder with X-Plore without problems, but when i use cifsmanager it just responds it couldn't mount the folder. (I know the folder i am typing in exists)

Originally posted by 123421342 View Post
                                I would not use the factory supply, I dont trust it. I use my ipad charger and mine works perfectly. 99% sure the problem is due to your PS.
                                Soldering a new external antena does a magic too. (speedtest: 27 Mbit D / 30 Mbit U, 5ms - and that is testing connection to the server)

Originally posted by ether0 View Post
                                These are not the exact sources to the kernel in your distro. ... What's your interest in keeping us in the dark dependent on your or 2dark4u's fiat?
                                Uh, you could just put all these replies into one post -_-

Comment

Working...
                                X