iMito MX1/2 - Finless ROM 1.5 - Root, debloat, init.d support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ceraboy View Post
    Any decent USB cable should have properly color coded wires although I would not necessarily count on this and testing with a volt meter is the best approach. The Red/Black are +5V/ground and the White/Green are your data connections. I just snipped the white/green and then soldered the Red/black the the D-link cable where the ribbed wire on the D-link supply was positive (red). I did not test the polarity (I trusted the color coding) before I soldered the leads, but I tested it on an old cell phone before plugging into my iMito.
    Thanks ceraboy, much appreciated.

When I get a chance I'll give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by ceraboy View Post
      I was having poor wifi connection issues with alot of drops that made streaming anything very difficult. I decided to try what many people have reported in this forum and other threads and re-routed my wifi antenna out of the case. I simply cut a small notch in the back plastic cover and reassembled the unit. My wifi improved dramatically from 13 Mbps to 81 Mbps with a lot fewer but still some random drops.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1335[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1336[/ATTACH]

After seeing Bob’s comments on the power supply issues I noticed that some of the spare D-link router power supplies I had lying around were rated for 5V at 2500mA. I spliced in a micro USB cable and found that my wifi speed further increased to 108 Mbps and the drops are all but gone. I was rather surprised as typical logic circuits are rated with some variability for 4.75 to 5.25V. In testing out the power supplies I noticed under load that the cheap included power supply fluctuated far more than the D-link supply so perhaps there is sensitivity after all. I might have to hook up the supplies to my o-scope at work and see if there is any appreciable ripple on the included supply and compare it to my new D-link supply.
      I have the exact same D-link psu from an old router as well, I may try this. I need to get some heat shrink tubing... Thank you for your photos!

I did try all psu's I had with a usb input (cell phone/bluetooth/mp3-player chargers), and the one with the highest rating was the iphone unit, and the sound did work fine on the iMito on the first try, but I haven't tested it multiple times yet. If I still have problems with it I will rig the D-link psu.

I haven't had any problems with my wifi, so I haven't done any antenna modding. The signal isn't as great as I feel it should be, but video loads fine.

I'll report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Xizor View Post
        Thanks ceraboy, much appreciated.

When I get a chance I'll give it a go.
        Xizor, I figured I would show you the cable so you have no questions if you decide to make your own custom psu for the iMito. Attached is the USB cable I stripped before I soldered and shrink tubed. The red and black wires were stripped and soldered to the wires from D-link psu and I trimmed the shielding sheaths before I shrink tubed.

With this new psu, my re-routed wifi cable, and Finless 1.5 this device is working better than ever now. If we could just get the kernel source from iMito then we would really be in business.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03335.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	429520

Comment

That's great ceraboy, thanks again.

As a matter of interest, I found some interesting figures for the power consumption of the MX1/2 on another forum: http://slickdeals.net/f/5685670-iMit...Thread?&page=3 post #38 onwards.

"My first thought was that that app wouldn't really do anything vs. just leaving it on - but I was wrong.

I took some quick readings with my Kill-A-Watt Meter and the results were:

ON and idle - 1.2W to 1.3W

OFF but plugged in (using Factory shutdown button) - 1.2W to 1.3W

"SCREEN OFF AND LOCK" App - .9W to 1.1W

I never would have guessed those results, lol."

Further on they are showing peak power draws of only 3.4W when streaming videos. That's only about 680mA. I know it's good to have some power reserve, but that's nowhere near 2A. I'll have to try and take some figures myself and report back.

Cheers

Comment

anyone having problems with the download? on my desktop and it basically sends me a bunch of xml text...

whenever it says to click on image...

Edit: works now. thanks Bob
            Last edited by pardonmyownage; 12-31-2012, 20:02.

Comment

Sorry all.... Download link is now fixed.

Bob
              "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
              "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
              "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
              "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
              "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
              "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
              "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
              "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
              "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                I cannnot help you with this problem. These ROMs have no kernel changes because we do not have sources. So for sure the issues you have are also going to be in the stock ROM. All I can say is most these issues have to do with:

1) Bad power supply. Get a better one for sure!
                2) Crappy HDMI cable.
                3) Older TV that does not support HDMI 1.4 or above.

Best I can tell you....

Bob
                Hi,

I've experienced this problem as well using the 1080p kernel. I've got a new tv, tried a different hdmi cable and the power supply is 2A.

I had the same symptoms, audio would randomly cut out for 10 seconds in any app.

I ended up flashing the rom again but with the 720p kernel instead and the audio has been fine, the only issue I'm currently having is crap wifi but i'll try the hardware mod mentioned earlier.

I'm happy to flash back to 1080p if there is testing I can carry out to help.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cyberspaceguy View Post
                  Bob thank you for reply but we did it... we set option on Mass Storage (use mass storage to share files).....other?
                  I had the same problem. I solved it by using a different USB 2.0 port on my laptop. It is noted in the directions not to use USB 3.0 or a hub. I think some of my USB 2.0 ports are on an internal hub or some similar setup and was causing the problem.

Comment

UG007 and wifi working?

For the people that flashed this on the UG007, do you have wifi working?

Thanks.

Comment

Had to reboot after the first boot up and wifi seems to work normally. Now the UG007 seems to be 1000X improved over the original. Overall everything is smooth, no unexplained freezes like before and seems to be faster as well. Awesome work Finless. Thanks.

Comment

UG007:

Very impressed with this ROM on my UG007. No issues found so far.

Comment

Hey Guys,
                          I dont know whats so good at this rom, I thought the performance would be better and 1080p is nice to but all is worse than before with the stock rom.
                          1080p an the text is to little to read on most apps.
                          The new Rom is sticky like hell, the stock was smoother.
                          Dont know why? Flashed without changing anything.
                          After flashing finless 1.5 adobe flash does not work at all, only with firefox and this browser is crap on android.
                          Can anyone help me with this problems?
                          My RAM is full everytime I look on it, the cpu is on 80% average...
                          How can I flash the Stock back on my iMito MX2 I dont know why but this Rom is very bad after seeing the Stock Rom running with flash in Chrome and really smooth.
                          Would be 720p better for performance?
                          Or is there a 4.0.4 Rom I could try with 720p?
                          I heared the 4.0.4 would be faster at all.

Greez Daniel

Comment

Broken Again

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                            Sorry all.... Download link is now fixed.

Bob

Sorry Bob, it appears to be broken again. Just xml text.

texbuck

Comment

Originally posted by texbuck View Post
                              Sorry Bob, it appears to be broken again. Just xml text.

texbuck
                              I just checked it and it is working for me! Clear your browsers cache and try.

Bob
                              "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                              "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                              "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                              "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                              "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                              "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                              "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                              "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                              "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Showkit likes Finless 1.5 iMito on UG007

Joined Freektab a couple of days ago, after lurking for the last 6 months, and 1st use was to flash my UG007 with the Finless ROM 1.5 with root.

After throwing everything at my UG007 for the past 48 hours I confirm I finally have a fully functioning TV STICK.

I just used PayPal to make a THANK YOU donation to Finless for his work helping us get the most from this incredible technology! I encourage everyone who has benifited from Finless' work to thank Bob with a donation. His 1.5 ROM that installs and gives root worked the 1st time and saved me hours of finding drivers and a hodge podge of tweeks and moded apps that were necessary for other devices I have rooted and flashed over the past 2 years. Really this has been the simplest ROM/Root I've done in 2 years and I have rooted and flashed more than 10 different devices (with multiple ROMS multiple times) over that time period.

The UG007 is my 3rd Android TV Device after a "TV STIK" and the infamous "Kickstarter infinitec Pocket TV". The UG007 is the 1st device running JB 4.1 that runs all of my favorite apps well enough to be taken seriously!

I have installed and use daily:

Full Google Play access all my favorite apps
                                Slingplayer for Tablets
                                XBMC Froyo
                                Netflix
                                HBO Go
                                Hulu Plus
                                PlayOn
                                Crackle
                                Firefox Beta with Flash Plugin
                                Chrome Browser
                                Adobe Flash Player
                                gmail/ people/ calendar
                                Google Play Music
                                Facebook
                                AnTuTu Benchmark 6229 score
                                AdAway
                                CPU Master running cool in Performance mode min 1200mghz
                                Reboot
                                Speed Test
                                You Tube
                                Buffalo Web Access
                                MX Player
                                ES File Explorer

All of these apps just installed and worked 1st time through the Google Play store.

I chose the 1gb app space which doubled the 512k I ran out of with factory UG007 ROM. This re-partioning is a big deal for me!

I prefer the standard JellyBean interface that comes with the Finless ROM over the TV interface from the factory ROM.

The Finless 1.5 iMito ROM just plain works. It is without a doubt the best thing you can do to the UG007, at least until Finless/Bob comes out with a newer ROM ;-)

Pura Vida,
                                showkit

Comment

Working...
                                X