X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoabycsr
    replied
    Originally posted by geekbuying View Post
    the new firmware will suit for the old and new bulk, so you can just use the new stock firmware.

and i will contact with the developer to make new custom rom base on the new stock rom.

When will we have access to this rom?

Leave a comment:

• hoabycsr
    replied
    On the picture yours says mk908 v 3.0. I got mine from geekbuying's original first batch and it's v 1.0. Definately a new hardware revision.

Leave a comment:

• geekbuying
    replied
    Originally posted by palulukanmaktoyu View Post
    is there actually a way to identify the hardware ( maybe adb? ) without cracking open the casing?

the new firmware will suit for the old and new bulk, so you can just use the new stock firmware.

and i will contact with the developer to make new custom rom base on the new stock rom.

Leave a comment:

• palulukanmaktoyu
    replied
    Originally posted by geekbuying View Post
    I have known the problem, the Rockchip release a new batch RK3188 CPU, and changed the voltage, so the old firmware can't work,

Tronsmart has confirmed the problem, and released a new firmware to us, i will upload a new firmware to you guys. problem will be solved, no worry.

thanks
    is there actually a way to identify the hardware ( maybe adb? ) without cracking open the casing?

Leave a comment:

• geekbuying
    replied
    I have known the problem, the Rockchip release a new batch RK3188 CPU, and changed the voltage, so the old firmware can't work,

Tronsmart has confirmed the problem, and released a new firmware to us, i will upload a new firmware to you guys. problem will be solved, no worry.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• palulukanmaktoyu
    replied
    Well i haven't opened up mine ( mainly in fear of voiding warranty as got mine from a reseller via amazon ) however it wierdly had a Finless rom on it.
    i reflashed it with the official tronsmart one but noticed a few things.
    With the finless roms, i can't use my targus bluetooth keyboard or microsoft 5000 bluetooth mouse.
    with the tronsmart both work perfectly.
    as well
    I have an issue where the unit reboots at random points. it could be just going from main launcher to application screen, or from an app back to the launcher. nothing specific.
    Onlive works beautiful but as the game gets going, boom reboot.
    almost wondering if this is an issue in the firmware. need to do more testing.
    Am going to be trying with it's supplied power supply in a moment as i've been using a Griffin 2amp 5v supply that is hefty enough to fast charge an iPad so should have EASILY handled this little gem.
    i also have another psu that is 2.1amp 5v dual socket. may just try that with nothing else connected.

but i'm concerned that maybe there is something wrong with the unit in hardware, just need to test further to be sure.

sad that the finless rom isn't working for the bluetooth items as i prefer them over the little combo keyboard/touchpad controller i got ( which works flawlessly as has dedicated usb wireless plug that goes in the usb port )

Edit: yes i have the tronsmart MK908 as seen in picture above. has same casing even
    Last edited by palulukanmaktoyu; 08-10-2013, 04:46. Reason: model

Leave a comment:

• geekbuying
    replied
    hi guys:

We just know the problem, sorry to find this topic late, i will contact tronsmart right now to check why there is two version, and how to fix that.

please don't worry, i will give you guys solutions.

Sorry!

Leave a comment:

• vlsi2000
    replied
    Originally posted by videoguyla View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2945[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2946[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2947[/ATTACH]

The main chip seems to be different My chip next to heat sink looks like
    AP3210
    TOD 3003

Thanks for sharing your pictures.
    Yup, it's the same version of hardware that has the boot loop issue.
    The shiny metal package thing that you refer to is the WiFi module.
    I think it reads AP6210 from your picture.
    That's same as beenii and GeekBuying's.

But look how GeekBuying's board has its patch antenna connected through a short piece of coaxial cable, whereas ours are connected with metal spring at the end of the board (same side as AP6210 module) where it reads 'ANT'.

Our boards are different from the earlier version (the vast majority at this point) that does not have this boot loop issue.

That being said, perhaps someone who recently received their MK908 that looks like ours and flashed successfully could confirm whether or not this boot loop issue is unique to the latest board version as ours shown above.
    Last edited by vlsi2000; 08-10-2013, 01:57.

Leave a comment:

• vlsi2000
    replied
    GeekBuying sells at least two different versions of MK908

It is confirmed that there exists at least two different hardware versions of MK908.

This is what GeekBuying posted as MK908 review.
    http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2013/04/19/tronsmart-mk908-another-rk3188-quad-core-mini-pc-tv-box-release-review/#.UgV0CDsp-VM

Compare their pictures with those pictures posted by beenii above.
    beenii also bought his from GeekBuying recently.

Also, on the GeekBuying's website, where they introduce a new stock firmware with added OTA update function, there is one very recent post by Geoff Allan reporting the same problem as ours.

If any one who received MK908 recently and has the same latest hardware as beenii's, before doing any flashing, please backup your existing ROM just in case you end up with the same boot loop issue.
    And please post the stock ROM online to help us unbrick ours.
    Last edited by vlsi2000; 08-10-2013, 01:29.

Leave a comment:

• videoguyla
    replied
    Ok pictures attached

Update Aug 11 Noon Pacific
    Turns out I didn't see that in the 101Targets Box for my MK908 which there seems to be lots of things called the same. Ugh what is up with that?

There is a link to an updated Firmware from the vendor 101Targets. Unfortunately the site is in Chinese?? and chrome translated for me.
    Here you will find the ROM for the 101Targets MK908
    百度网盘为您提供文件的网络备份、同步和分享服务。空间大、速度快、安全稳固,支持教育网加速,支持手机端。注册使用百度网盘即可享受免费存储空间

edit the 1.7 firmware flash tool ini file and you will be able to switch from chinese to English There is an english version.

The flash worked fine and the unit has been running well. I think the wireless is a bit flaky for Netflix since the video kept freezing. I connected the Tronsmart USB to Ethernet adapter and watched a movie without any problems.
    Get a god USB Cable not the flimsy lightweight ones in the boxes supplied
    I used my powered hub to power the whole rig.
    Keyboard, Mouse, USB to Ethernet and the MK908 .. great
    Still no luck on the K400R from logitech.
    Sent and email to Rocky the guy who's card was in the box.

Moral of the story look in the box for documentation. I bought an MK802 total crap that also reboots often no matter what I try. Gave up on that dog!
    The real problem is that the folks making this stuff are anxious to get the boxes out but aren't willing to put in the effort to support them.. like a website that they maintain.
    BTW the Tronsmmart Ethernet adapter came with a disk with lots of drivers for several models however on the box the models listed on the disk do not correspond to anything provided on the product. So God knows how we are supposed to figure out what version of the product we have.. Much like the mess on these sticks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130809_154328_400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	430582Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130809_154410_113.jpg
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	430583Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130809_154730_347.jpg
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	430584

The main chip seems to be different My chip next to heat sink looks like
    AP3210
    TOD 3003
    Originally posted by vlsi2000 View Post
    Have you tried opening up the case and see if you have the similar looking board as beenii's?

If you are unable to flash any more, then your problem might be different from ours.

We have no problem flashing.
    The unit just continues to reboot regardless of ROM flashed.
    Last edited by videoguyla; 08-11-2013, 20:51.

Leave a comment:

• vlsi2000
    replied
    Have you tried opening up the case and see if you have the similar looking board as beenii's?

If you are unable to flash any more, then your problem might be different from ours.

We have no problem flashing.
    The unit just continues to reboot regardless of ROM flashed.

Leave a comment:

• videoguyla
    replied
    Similar problem - re-booting

I purchased my 908 From Amazon -

It doesn't have Tronsmart but it has same specs.. Doh.
    Thought I was buying the right unit.
    Funny thing is flash worked once now it fails download Ugh!

I tried the Bob White ROMS since the Bluetooth wasn't working and when I did the search your posts came up.
    VideoGuyLA

Originally posted by Finless View Post
    This symptom is typical of a "clone" device. This happened on the 3066 TV sticks!
    We started seeing clones labeled as MK808 but they were not. After flashing a official ROM, they would just continue to boot loop or hang on the kernel screen.

All I can say is either your stick has a problem or it is not a real MK908 and if so you need the correct ROM for it.

Where did you get the MK908?

Bob

Leave a comment:

• vlsi2000
    replied
    Recent batch of MK908 different from the earlier ones?

Over the past 48 hours of searching this forum, I only managed to find 3 cases (my case included) reporting the exact same boot loop issue.

The boot loop symptoms are:
    1) Any available ROM image available to download as of today flashes and checks out without any error.
    2) After flashing, MK908 would display either 'Google TV' or 'Tronsmart' depending on the flavor of ROM flashed for about 10 seconds and then the device reboots. This is repeated indefinitely.
    4) USB cable is not the problem - tried multiple ones and flshing is done without any error
    5) Power supply is not the problem - only draws under 0.5A peak current while doing the boot loop thing
    6) Lastly (and this is an interesting one) all 3 cases are reported within the past 72 hours.

Of the 3 cases I found, my MK908 and that of Beenii's look exactly the same inside.
    I have seen different board/antenna design of MK908 posted online.

This leads me to think that there exists a newer/different design of MK908 that just begun shipping and this new design is not compatible with the existing ROMs.
    I remember seeing 'android' as boot screen logo when it first booted right out of the box.
    None of the custom/official ROMs I have tried show 'android' as boot screen logo.
    This is another indication that the original ROM it had is not the same as the ones available to download whether official or custom.

But then it could just be that all 3 of us got defective ones

Perhaps Tronsmart or GeekBuying (the only authorized retailer of Tronsmart) could comment on it please.

edit: videoguyla would be the 4th case reporting the same issue.
    videoguyla, when did you receive yours and whom did you buy from?

Leave a comment:

• beenii
    replied
    This is exactly whats happening to me, if i try a Rom based on Android 4.1. Then i aswell see a recovery menu once. I really get the fealing, we might have a new revision at hand.

Leave a comment:

• videoguyla
    replied
    Tried 1.4 unit keeps rebooting

I have successfully flashed the ROM once but unit keep rebooting.
    HDMI show going into recover mode then reboots over and over.
    Do I have a brick or is this a dead unit.
    Tried to download again but same result.
    Each time a bit tricky to get the flash to work
    I will now try 1.5

Ok thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X