Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO+ Stock & Nano Nexus ROMs (Android 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks for your great work.
    I have Docooler M9S S905X 2G/16G https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Doco...311.0.0.zimZyF

Does it work on it?

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably not. If you really want Nougat, you're more likely to be able to flash the most recent U2+ .img file on this device.

No Love for this ROM?
    The ATV has got 20 pages of discussion - no-one using this one?

Comment

Originally posted by jdelcast View Post
      Many thanks for your great work.
      I have Docooler M9S S905X 2G/16G https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Doco...311.0.0.zimZyF

Does it work on it?
      U2+ image file? Be kind to send a link to get it please

Comment

Originally posted by jdelcast View Post
        U2+ image file? Be kind to send a link to get it please
        The original OEM firmware is available here. Also, I did a quick proof-of-concept glomming these custom M8S Pro+ system images onto the U2+ kernel that's available here in Nano and TVStock variants. For any of these, you're basically rolling the dice on whether wireless chipset and IR remote drivers will match what you have on the M9S.

Comment

I prefer this ROM for the mecool M8S Pro+. It does everything I need, and with Nova Launcher i kinda set it up as a ATV box. I found difficulties with ATV, and this seemed more stable and better at handling 1080p videos on Plex.

This made the box 100% stable and I have no issues. I have 2 boxes which I was planning on giving the 2nd to my dad for christmas. I got it early because I wanted to test the stability of the ROM and I blieve that this is the best so far for the M8SP+.

Thanks for taking the time to work on this and make it available to us all.

Comment

So I tried flashing using OTA method (nano) but the box is not booting now. Red LED is constantly on (along with blue) and nothing on screen. I will try the burn tool with a cable I've just bought on Amazon. Is there anything else I can try?

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              No, I would definitely recommend USB Burning Tool in your situation.

can i ota flash this over the atv version?
            or do i have to take the burn image route?

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, the OTA update will replace all the images, so you can use it to upgrade or downgrade as long as you remember to do a Wipe (factory reset). What it can't do is repartition the main storage (eMMC), so you can't switch between Nougat and Marshmallow. You'll need to flash the burn package (.img file) for that.

i just installed the nano version using the OTA update (with data wipe)
            ROOT Checker says its not rooted and im unable to access hidden files
            per the OP it suggest should already be rooted ~=am i missing something i need to do?
            Otherwise so far so good, its looking great so far

p.s. should twrp appear in app folder directly? no sign of that either (i guess because its not rooted)

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              A quick check for root is simply to open Terminal and type "su". If you get a # prompt, then you have superuser access and are rooted.

As for TWRP, that replaces the stock OEM recovery. To get there, open Terminal and type "reboot recovery".

Originally posted by DEcosse View Post
            i just installed the nano version using the OTA update (with data wipe)
            ROOT Checker says its not rooted and im unable to access hidden files
            per the OP it suggest should already be rooted ~=am i missing something i need to do?
            Otherwise so far so good, its looking great so far

p.s. should twrp appear in app folder directly? no sign of that either (i guess because its not rooted)
            Screen dos not fit on terminal application. I use TV Stock version. Whenever I type a character screen slides down and comes back. I use 4K television. I have the latest TV Stock 20170815 rom.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I see that too in some configs. Just a bug in the LineageOS Terminal app, which I hope they'll fix soon. I find that hiding the virtual keyboard helps.

Hi There, running the "nano" installation - love it very snappy and stable. flashed it with USB burning tool been running spmc stable for a few days....does anyone know which profile i should use for my harnony remote for this box/rom?

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              I use the profile for the ASUS Nexus Player remote, which uses Bluetooth.

• A quick check for root is simply to open Terminal and type "su". If you get a # prompt, then you have superuser access and are rooted.
              • As for TWRP, that replaces the stock OEM recovery. To get there, open Terminal and type "reboot recovery".
            Confirm on both of those
            But my X-Plore (File Manager) shows that is not rooted, nor does Root-Checker app.
            Why would that be?

On my Beelink box, I used SuperSu and also installed that TWRP app - am I going to 'confuse' anything by adding those apps?

Comment

Originally posted by DEcosse View Post
              • A quick check for root is simply to open Terminal and type "su". If you get a # prompt, then you have superuser access and are rooted.
                • As for TWRP, that replaces the stock OEM recovery. To get there, open Terminal and type "reboot recovery".

Confirm on both of those
              But my X-Plore (File Manager) shows that is not rooted, nor does Root-Checker app.
              Why would that be?

On my Beelink box, I used SuperSu and also installed that TWRP app - am I going to 'confuse' anything by adding those apps?
              To invoke root permissions (as you would normally do in Linux), you must use 'su'. I'm not sure if these root checker apps just try to see inside directories that are normally protected, or if they run the su command to test. If the former, then it would consider it a fail. If the latter, than it would consider it a pass.

'su' does work and does give you root privileges so therefore it is a rooted device.

Comment

OK So I am going to try this later when i get home to my MECOOL box. There are two variants, which one should I try first? Just to try if this get my box to boot and/or not hang. Since it does even with OEM Stock now..

Comment

Originally posted by grimmie View Post
                  OK So I am going to try this later when i get home to my MECOOL box. There are two variants, which one should I try first? Just to try if this get my box to boot and/or not hang. Since it does even with OEM Stock now..
                  Honestly I'm a minimalist, so I would use the NANO and install what you need. The Stock variant has all the extra google apps which I do not need (such as play video, play music, etc) and therefore do not want it possibly running in the background. On boot, I have over 60% free RAM (1.2GB free).

Plus it prevents any possible extra services causing issues.

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Keep in mind that you've got a 2GB system partition, regardless of whether it's filled or not. While the Nano variant is considerably smaller, you don't get to recover that unused space for user storage. And for the most part, these variants run the same underlying services and the additional apps don't take up RAM unless they've being run.

Thanks Karce I will try the Nano too and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion again from the other chain on the ATV.
                  For the Nano Rom, is it close to the ATV Rom, do you know?
                  Example, Netflix highest resolution?

Comment

Working...
                  X