Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO+ Stock & Nano Nexus ROMs (Android 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WARNING

Originally posted by P.X View Post
    WARNING : FW 20170829.121614.V0321

New HW boxes arriving with this 2017.08.29 dated FW

Do NOT flash any earlier dated ROM if you have a box with 20170829.121614.V0321

As far as I can tell if you flash any earlier FW, Custom or OEM, onto the boxes with 20170829.121614.V0321 - Boxes with SEC and D/W hardware - The box will be in a state where it freezes rapidly after power-on and is useless.

An Update to the latest V0619 FW did not restore functionality to my box.

Until there is an extracted 20170829.121614.V0321 we do not know if these boxes will work again when restored to Original FW.

My box, HW-Date 17.08.11 SEC & D/W chips, had freezing problems from the start but it seems all those who flashed an earlier dated ROM have similarly borked boxes afterwards.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      This would be the first case I've ever heard where flashing a ROM permanently damaged the hardware. Sure, you can corrupt your bootloader so that you can't flash anything else, but it's just writing code to the eMMC storage. What seems more likely is that some devices were built with a bad NAND batch that just didn't show issues until you did an extended block write.

#46.1
    Magendanz commented
    09-28-2017, 11:44
    This would be the first case I've ever heard where flashing a ROM permanently damaged the hardware. Sure, you can corrupt your bootloader so that you can't flash anything else, but it's just writing code to the eMMC storage. What seems more likely is that some devices were built with a bad NAND batch that just didn't show issues until you did an extended block write.

Like you say probably faulty batch. My box had serious issues before the flash.

Would it be possible to make a version of the FW that works from USB or SD like people do with LibreElec (or so I gather) so that the eMMC is bypassed ?

Any other ideas welcomed ...
    Pete

Comment

Guest will it work on Mi Box (MDZ-16-AB)?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Seriously? What makes you think it might work on a Mi Box? In the title, I say it's for the Mecool M8S Pro+.

Looks like mine is borked too. I can't get it to show in the burning tool.

Edit: I opened up the box and I have the v1.0 hardware revision.

Guest yelp! How do I short pins for Mask ROM mode? And what comes next? Is there a guide anywhere?
      Last edited by m4w; 09-29-2017, 09:11.

Comment

Sorry for a noob question: the link to TWRP in the OP leads to a twrp.q20x-3.1.1-0.img, while the links to the ROMs lead to a OneDrive directory that has a twrp.p21x-3.1.1-0.img. Which version should I use for the Mecool M8S Pro+?

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          You'll want twrp.p21x-3.1.1-0.img (or twrp.p21x-3.1.1-0-signed.zip, which can be installed like an OTA update from the Update app). I've fixe the bad link.

Guest Yes, seriously both are on Amlogic S905X, so I thought... maybe it will work. Also in past I was installing roms prepared for Beeling RK3288 on Tronsmart device and it worked like a charm.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, you're welcome to give it a try, but I'm not optimistic. Generally, these are only good on the same reference board. Also, the Mi Box (MDZ-16-AB) was locked down pretty tight.

Guest I follow all the MeCool M8S Pro + threads with interest and see you have been doing a lot of work on the ATV ROM with the latest firmware release
        Is there anything coming on the Nexus ROMs with respect to the newer OEM firmware revision that would be of value?
        Having said that I'm MORE than happy with running the 20170825 Nano ROM - it is REALLY EXCELLENT and don't see any reason to change.
        That said, for those acquiring new boxes with the latest OEM firmware, would you still recommend they just go with the 0825 variant if using the Nexus ROM?
        I'm quite surprised this ROM has not been more popular - 'most' appear to favour the ATV, but I am absolutely loving this one.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that I've got TWRP working on this new V0619 kernel, I can more easily generate Nano and Stock variants. You should be seeing an update soon.

Originally posted by DEcosse View Post
        Guest I follow all the MeCool M8S Pro + threads with interest and see you have been doing a lot of work on the ATV ROM with the latest firmware release
        Is there anything coming on the Nexus ROMs with respect to the newer OEM firmware revision that would be of value?
        Having said that I'm MORE than happy with running the 20170825 Nano ROM - it is REALLY EXCELLENT and don't see any reason to change.
        That said, for those acquiring new boxes with the latest OEM firmware, would you still recommend they just go with the 0825 variant if using the Nexus ROM?
        I'm quite surprised this ROM has not been more popular - 'most' appear to favour the ATV, but I am absolutely loving this one.
        I agree... i much prefer this ROM. It seems to just work better on my box. I have had zero problems with this. I know the ATV ROM i had a couple issues, i'm sure i would have been able to resolve the little problems by working at it, but i just find this one better to suit my needs. Also it'll be easy for my dad once I get him his box since he's used to android's standard interface as opposed to ATV. i got a RII 8+ Mini anyways, so it's perfect.

edit: i should also mention that I probably won't flash an updated ROM to this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Karce View Post
          ... i should also mention that I probably won't flash an updated ROM to this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
          ​​​​​​​I'm thinking along similar lines Karce unless the Maestro Guest can highlight some good advantages with a later one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=673434&d=1506438580.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	675784

Comment

Almost all the advantages in V0619 are bugs fixed in Android TV...
            • Underlying OEM firmware fixed the Action Bar bug in Android TV
            • Underlying OEM firmware fixed the More Settings crash in Android TV
            • The Terminal app now shows only when enabled in Developer Options

UPDATE: The V0619 build is also technically Android 7.1.2 now, and includes a bunch of recent security updates.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2017, 02:53.

Comment

I have M8S Pro+ with eMMC SEC649 B041 KLMAG1JENB S54T3MGMS and it came with build 20170815.182813.V0321

Just to recap.....I tried the ATV rom 20171001 using OTA UPDATE file.
              However, it got stuck on the MECOOL logo.
              I then downloaded (1.34GB) M8S Pro+ OEM firmware (20170815.182813.V0321) https://mega.nz/#!rEU1SSBS!EGUpAkti-...Eia2Er0AxuuH5g and used the Burn-Card-Maker to reflash the image.
              It all went well and the box is running without issues.

It looks like I can't run any of the ATV roms.

But, would I have any chance of success trying the Nano Nexus Rom 20170825 (Burn Package) which is based on M8S Pro+ OEM firmware (20170815.182813.V0321)...which my box is currently running?

If I tried and it failed, I would try to restore the original OEM image mentioned above....and if this should fail , then I guess my box would be useless !!

Or just continue to use box as is?

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                The fact that you were seeing the MECOOL logo, tells me that the 20171001 OTA update didn't function as expected. It should have replaced it with a Nexus logo.

Before you conclude that you can't run any of the ATV ROMs, I'd suggest trying the 20171001 burn package with USB Burning Tool.

#56.1
              Magendanz commented
              10-04-2017, 17:56
              The fact that you were seeing the MECOOL logo, tells me that the 20171001 OTA update didn't function as expected. It should have replaced it with a Nexus logo.
              Before you conclude that you can't run any of the ATV ROMs, I'd suggest trying the 20171001 burn package with USB Burning Tool.

@Magendanz thanks for replying. I purchased a USB cable Male-Male but cannot get M8S box to connect to PC. I have tried making my own USB male-male...but no luck.
              I will have to use the Burn Card Maker again to try the 20171001 rom.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                In the interim, you might try refreshing your download for the OTA update. I made some tweaks to the updater script late Monday night, providing more user-friendly environment checks, fixing an innocuous result ("Unknown error []"), and substituting a new package_extract_file() syntax that I found the OEM using in their script. When they switched to the new updater binary, they could have deprecated the old method that I'd been using, which might explain why logo, boot and recovery partitions wouldn't get updated. (These updater binaries are notorious for failing silently.)

Here's my box
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Karce View Post
                Here's my box
                Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
                MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Changelog (20171006):
                  • Updated to latest M8S Pro+ OEM firmware (20170919.150557.V0619)
                  • Underlying OEM firmware updated to Android TV 7.1.2r11 (NHG47L)
                  • Added support for all HID devices (e.g. remotes, gamepads, etc.) on latest Nougat firmware for Nexus Player, NVIDIA Shield TV & Xiamoi Mi Box
                  • The Terminal app now shows only when enabled in Developer Options
                  • Restored default settings (e.g. animation scale, sound effects) from Nexus Player
                  • Latest build from Open GApps (20171006)
                  Download:

Comment

Working...
                  X