Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change resolution from real 720p to real 1080p on the fly useing just 1 kernel (POC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice find.
    did you trayed to do the same for /sys/class/graphics/fb0/mode?
    Everything is possible if we work together!
    ApkFreak

Comment

We do have a APP dev here (Petrus) that would probably be willing to do a APP to control this. Al we need to do is ask and tell him specifically what needs to be done.

Bob
      "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
      "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
      "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
      "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
      "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
      "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
      "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
      "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
      "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by lewy20041 View Post
        nice find.
        did you trayed to do the same for /sys/class/graphics/fb0/mode?
        Yes , it didn't do anything at all , the strange thing is i find this file empty by default !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
          We do have a APP dev here (Petrus) that would probably be willing to do a APP to control this. Al we need to do is ask and tell him specifically what needs to be done.

Bob
          Thanks bob,

We are very close to the perfect solution (Lewy2004 solution ofcourse) , as he explained before
          In this thread he did an app that calls a script that in turn calls the 720p or 1080p kernel script
          All that works very well except that we want to change the HDMI resolution as well because
          There is no meaning to switch to 1080p kernel while still using 720p HDMI resolution.

So i think we don't need an app , we only we need a script that modifies the value where
          HDMI resolution is stored but as you can see we are still guessing where this value is stored.

Any help or info or ideas will be really appreciated.

Comment

Lewy2004 , i think if you can decompile your settings app you can see where it save the HDMI
            Resolution data , i tried with a text editor but most of the apk were in binary format so i couldn't
            Make much of it , is this possible ?

Comment

I finally found it , it is inside /data/rk29_display.cfg
              So i added the following lines to the 720p.sh and 1080p.sh files respectively:

echo "display=0,iface=4,enable=1,mode=1920x1080p-60" > /data/rk29_display.cfg

echo "display=0,iface=4,enable=1,mode=1280x720p-60" > /data/rk29_display.cfg

Tested and lasts between reboots and all , works like charm.

I will have to add that this doesn't switch any resolution by it self but it affects the place
              Where the system stores its HDMI resolution , so by modifying this then reboot will make
              The system reads this value upon rebooting then adjusts its HDMI resolution accordingly.

If you want instant resolution switching without reboot you will have to add another
              line to the one mentioned above (1080p resolution example):
              echo "1920x1080p-60" > /sys/devices/virtual/display/display0.HDMI/mode
              Now we have to celebrate having a true windows style resolution switching
              Thanks Lewy2004 for your excellent work.
              Last edited by opengl1971; 10-02-2013, 03:19.

Comment

congrats on finding the proper file
                Everything is possible if we work together!
                ApkFreak

Comment

Hello, I'm bumping this thread as I am really interested in the possibility to switch resolutions on the fly as in windows. I do not know if an app has been developed as the thread has not been updated for a while.
                  Any help on how to accomplish kernel/resolution switching on the fly will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

If you're handy with the command line -- or with adb -- there's a command called wm on KitKat and Jelly Bean 4.3, and another called am on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 or older. It does require root to run though.

With a 1080p capable kernel, this switches to true 1920x1080:

Code:
                    # wm size 1920x1080
                    If you wish to switch dpi as well, you can do so:

Code:
                    # wm density 213
                    for example.

It's simple to knock together an app that just runs the command as well.

The "am" command works similarly on older versions of Android, with the benefit of not requiring root.

Code:
                    am display-size 1920x1080
                    I don't currently have a Jelly Bean device to check how to set dpi, but I believe the same "am" command can be used to that effect.

See also: this app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lution_changer

If you wish to do it at startup, an /etc/init.d script is likely your best bet.

Comment

Hi observ, thanks for your reply. I am aware about those commands but what I really mean is realize the kernel switching on-the-fly as in lewy20041 hybrid ROM. That is have a ROM that can change kernels with an app/script so that it is not necessary to reflash using a PC. This way the 720p kernel can be used for performance in UI and apps/games but when you want to watch a 1080p movie you can switch to the 1080p kernel for better quality. This can be done with a single reboot as discussed in this thread.
                      I need assistance so that I can have this in KitKat i.e. I need the scripts and the app.
                      @lewy20041, can you please help me with this?

Comment

Hi

I'm using 1080p kernel developed by mo123 with original stock rom for CS918 Q7.
                        Can You guys please explain me where do I have to place 1080p.sh file in order to enable 1080p everytime device boots.
                        Do I have to create file manually and execute file every time I want to change resolution?

Currently my /data/rk29_display.cfg file contains both lines but it's still running 720p.
                        display=0,iface=4,enable=1,mode=1920x1080p-60
                        display=0,iface=4,enable=0,mode=1280x720p-60

UPDATE
                        When I've tried using wm size 1920x1080 and wm size 1080x1920 screen had become huge.
                        Last edited by michalw2; 11-06-2014, 20:53.

Comment

Working...
                        X