Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PicUntu-4.5-nand-BasicGUI installer - One file, few click install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aloksinha2001 View Post
    VLC

Code:
    dpkg -i vlc.... .deb
    vlc should work... out of the box.
    Could you tell me the full name & full download location of Vlc.....Deb?
    Is it same version of x86 and amd64 ??

In www.videolan.org,I only find the x86,amd64 and arm of android (.apk) of vlc.

Thanks..

Comment

This is brilliant! Many thanks for your work. This release is really really fast.

Comment

Team,
        Close on the heals of release of 4.4.3, we are happy to present
        PicUntu 4.5-nand-BasicGUI, A complete Linux distribution all images (yes kernel, system, boot et all) AND the installer. The zipped file and a few clicks, will be all it takes, to get your own PicUntu.
        Who is it for?

• Home use, multimedia users - even with 720p video files, the average load on CPU does not go beyond 30-35% ......
        What device is it for ?
        Currently, this is optimized for MK802IV, but will work for many other 3188 devices (though I have yet to test them). Will be releasing kernels for other devices soon.
        Hi Alok,
        Your RK3188 linux project is most interesting. I have not yet used linux, been put off by reading installing Apps farmore complicated than in Windows, needing to know commandlines, 'compiling/linking' etc, but want to buy a cheap 'TV Box' to a) stream multimedia to a display & a discrete HiFi analog speaker system, from another room over WiFi-n, b) act as a backup PC in case my Windows laptop dies, as my Win Apps only have Linux versions, not android.

So my questions are: 1) does PicUntu support 'Minix Neo X7' (or another with many same audio & USB ports), its WiFi and all its many ports, less GPU hardware accel & Bluetooth ?, 2) Only reason I want to change Android to Linux is to run Inkscape, Postgres, LibreOffice, VLC MediaPlayer, XBMC and maybe a few other open-source apps that currently run on my Windows laptop. As I have no linux experience, is PicUntu near enough to standard Ubuntu to allow simple installation of these, i.e binary image, not compiling source code ?

Comment

Very nice gmiti.. well done... Thank you for the pack - it seems complete, Its exciting to test this... will do soon.
          I was working to get the PicUntu released on Mk908, you just saved a lot of efforts.

While, I get this into a complete pack - A simple step could be.
          1. Unzip the Picuntu 4.5Nand folder - on Linux
          2. Mount the system.img into a directory. Copy Omegamoons - firmware/modules into the <mountedfile>/lib/modules
          3. Make changes to the <mountedfile>/etc/init (as you have done)
          4. Flash your compiled NAND kernel directly - and you are done !!

You may hit the time bug - fsck mount time... I solved by setting my linux machine to 1/1/1970 before mounting/unmounting the filesystem (uggh) .. also fixed /etc/fsck.conf (broken_system_time option) but that had not worked...

Anyways, I am so definitely going to try this out... cool stuff - Thanks.

Alok
          Please let us know if this works. I would like to try as soon as I get the time.

Comment

It didn't help...

VLC

VLC is available in the repository...

Code:
            apt-get install vlc.
            Ofcourse you would need to have a net connection for this... or ... download manually and then install through

Code:
            dpkg -i vlc.... .deb
            vlc should work... out of the box.

For network cards - you have to get hold of your .ko files ( I am not sure, what is the ethernet and wifi used in Ugoos T1. - I dont have this device)

But a simple way would be to
            1. Get hold of the driver (lets say 8188eu.ko ) from another linux/android installation where it is working.
            2. Put it in /lib/modules/kernel directory on PicUntu
            3. Run
            Code:
            depmod -a
            To get the modules loaded.
            4. Next add 8188eu (note, this is an example not real - your actual file may be different) as a line in
            /etc/modules - This will make the changes permanent, post boot.
            5. iwconfig wlan0 (or wlan1) as your case may be.
            6. ifconfig should now show you the ethernet/wifi card
            7. Go to wicd manager and scan/connect.

Hope it helps.

Alok
            Following every possible way suggested, I could not make my wifi chipset work with this release of picuntu. Decided to open my box, sharing here what I found.

1. Wifi chipset is Realtek RTL8188ETV (dmesg gives me VID=0bda PID=0179)
            2. Bluetooth Chipset is RDA 5876 (ES162242), info at http://www.rdamicro.com/products/Detail_194.aspx.

I tried to search for bluetooth driver, couldn't get any but found out the source code for it.
            It can be obtained below....

I hope it would be useful for the developers...

Dear Alok, can you compile the driver for bluetooth please...?
            At least it would solve one problem....Thanks

Comment

Iäve installed the picuntu, didnt get the wifi to work on Tronsmart T428. Now i'm trying to install the other Xubuntu version that's available that states wifi is working. BUT Win8 can't recognise the device now when i switch from Android os to picuntu. What am i missing?

Comment

There is no Video HW acceleration but is there HW acceleration for GPU?
                Perhaps mali lima driver?

Comment

Another BIG thanks to everyone who worked on this project!

Version 4.5 is running on my R42, which is very exciting.

Working on R42:

- Video output through HDMI at 1920x1080
                  - Sound through HDMI
                  - All USB ports (including micro-USB)
                  - Micro-SD card reader
                  - Power button
                  - Boot to command line
                  - Start window manager (login screen, desktop)

Not currently working:
                  - Built in Ethernet adapter
                  - Built in Wireless adapter
                  - RGB video-out (this doesn't work in most roms anyhow)

So almost everything works really nicely, only problems are with networking.
                  The desktop is more responsive than I thought it would be, and even Firefox (which is fairly heavy) starts up quickly and runs well.

Good stuff.

Comment

Kudos

Thanks to all who worked on this.

Flashed on a Rikomagic MK802IV and everything tested is working right out of the box, detecting and connecting to the local WiFi hotspot.

Excellent work guys, keep up the good work !!

Christos

Comment

testing now on mk808

Hi Alok and all others involved,

I'm typing this om my first generation(original) mk808 running picuntu 4.5 and all is well ,thank you!
                      Ofcourse I had to make some adaptions and testing has certainly not finished yet ,but there's hope for
                      all those rk3066 owners.

I'm not running from nand ,but extracted your picuntu img and put it on a linuxroot partition and used it
                      with an old 3.0.8+ kernel (flashed in recovery) ,of course I had to add 3.0.8 modules to this distribution,
                      and some wifi files for the mk808 but after that everything seems to work,and quite well really.

In fact,this is my first picuntu wich works right out of the box without tinkering with file permissions etc,etc.
                      I have to say the system is very responsive (running from a class 10 sd) and aspecially browser experience
                      over wifi is far superior compared to android.All in all a minimal,but very usable distribution it seems.

Next I will try other kernels and perhaps nand installation (like you intended afterall),but I'm not so keen
                      on wiping my nand, as this is my only android stick.

what works:sound,real flashplayer in Chromium (from hwswbits galland thanks),wifi ,mounting:external HD
                      (2.5" 500Gb) all partitions (including windows) mounted,HD operates without external power supply.
                      Also possible to run picuntu from external HD partition,I'm doing this right now,actually,but slower boot than from SD.
                      Login to either xfce,lxde or Openbox.

Problems:still plopping sounds ,small high-pitch distortions when playing mov sound from websites.
                      ad hoc solution is opening pavucontrol(has to be installed afterwards).
                      (oh,and before someone asks,no video accelaration:rockchip ,where art thou?)

work in progress.

Virverus

Comment

Great work!

• I have added support for more than 200+ drivers, it should be a breeze to connect peripherals to this. If not, let me know with a pointer to source and I will try to get the driver compiled.

Could you add this one?
                        Kernel source code for the Minix Neo X7 and X7 mini parameterized for overclocking and usage with Marvin - phjanderson/Kernel-3188-X7

Kernel source code for the Minix Neo X7 and X7 mini parameterized for overclocking and usage with Marvin - phjanderson/Kernel-3188-X7

It's the built in ethernet adapter of the Minix Neo X7.

For the T428, just enable AP6330 in the kconfig and it should work. It's not very picky about the GPIO lines.

Thanks!
                        Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by virverus View Post
                          Hi Alok and all others involved,

I'm typing this om my first generation(original) mk808 running picuntu 4.5 and all is well ,thank you!
                          Ofcourse I had to make some adaptions and testing has certainly not finished yet ,but there's hope for
                          all those rk3066 owners.

Virverus

I have running my device mk808 with the picuntu 4.5 on nand but with problem because i flash my mk808 (with kernel 3.0.8 nand by linuxium and loader 1.16 for 3066 of course) and the system is for 3.0.36 kernel.
                          If you have modify the module of the release, i think a flash for start directly on nand is possible for our 3066.
                          What you think?

Comment

Originally posted by phjanderson View Post
                            Great work!
                            [/LIST]Could you add this one?

It's the built in ethernet adapter of the Minix Neo X7.

For the T428, just enable AP6330 in the kconfig and it should work. It's not very picky about the GPIO lines.

Thanks!
                            IF you got time and are willing to explain a step-by-step procedure i'd be glad. I've been googling around how to "Just enable something in the kconfig" but i can't figure it out. Have a good day /

Comment

Here's my attempt for adding support for other devices to PicUntu:
                              Linux Source - RK3188 - PicUntu. Contribute to phjanderson/Linux3188 development by creating an account on GitHub.

The kernel has parameterization of several things like GPIO lines. It defaults to the mk802iv ap6210 settings.

I added two defconfigs for the t428 and qx1 to show how it works. (just compare them with the mk802iv defconfig)

I also added a platform "picuntu3188" to my marvin build tool:
                              Marvin - Android kernel build tool. Contribute to phjanderson/marvin development by creating an account on GitHub.

To build a kernel, do the following:
                              Code:
                              ./marvin platform picuntu3188
                              ./marvin config t428 1080p
                              ./marvin build
                              All of it is untested as I haven't had time to install picuntu yet, but should work I guess.

Oh, and I also added the ethernet driver for the X7, should work with the t428 config (not all drivers for other devices such as IR and analog audio are added yet though).
                              Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Comment

mirror needed

can anyone provide a mirror link for the image
                                from where i am g8.net is slow, and keep getting connection timeout, whenever i try to download.

thx in advance

edit: scratch that. someone else was streaming at home. my bad
                                lolz

Comment

Working...
                                X