Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Linux From SD Card or USB Flash Drive - Using Balbes150 Method And Files.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nosmokingbandit View Post
    balbes150

Gave you considered using ordrobian as the base image rather than armbian?
    What is this system, do you have a link to its description and source ?

Comment

I haven't looked into it much, but it is a Debian image specifically for the Odroid-C2 board. It might be easier to manipulate since they've had it running well on the S905 chip for a while.

Comment

This version uses the kernel and other packages in which a lot of changes, which are intended only for iron Odroid. So use it for the common platform is impossible.

Comment

Having a bit of trouble. I haven't updated in a long time since the image I was using works well, but I am attempting to run Armbian_5.32_S9xxx_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_server_20 170907.img on my MXQ Plus.

Using gxbb_p200.dtb (the only dtb I have found that allows the os to start) and the same USB drive I've used in the past. After boot it seems to hang at this point:

If I restart by removing the power plug it stalls at the same place. It has been over 10 minutes without any change. It doesn't gain network access so I cannot ssh into the OS. Any ideas?

Edit:
          Ignore this. My TV was cutting off some terminal output and I got ethernet with a different dtb. What is the difference between gxbb_p200 and gxbb_p201? And on the latest images, how do I boot into Mate rather than Kodi?
          Last edited by nosmokingbandit; 09-28-2017, 19:23.

Comment

Hello,

Someone can tell me why I'm getting this error everytime I do install something;
            E: Write error - ~LZMAFILE (28: No space left on device)
            Can I do apt upgrade without risking bricking my device?
            thanks,
            regards, Jefken3
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefken3 View Post
              E: Write error - ~LZMAFILE (28: No space left on device)
              Can I do apt upgrade without risking bricking my device?
              sorry my answer did not get through the forum.

i answered that i do upgrade (not dist-upgrade, can't remember) my a95x (s905) box without problems using balbes150 image.
              Unfortunately i can't remember which image i installed last and i don't know if there's a way to identify the current image on the installed system, i can only check /etc/armbian-release which shows "armbian 5.27"..

One thing to know is that my current install was done on the emmc, but it shouldn't matter.

I do not have such errors, not sure where it comes from, what was you command ?

Seeing that the current version is 5.32 maybe balbes150 can tell me if i can dist-upgrade from my 5.27 to 5.32 (i don't think we can) ?

Anyways it doesn't really matter i'm upgrading my setup to a rock64 device (gigabit / usb3), i've ordered an "Alfawise Z28 Pro" which should be very close to the rock64 board, and already runs a linux image.

Comment

humm looks like my posts are "unapproved" so i can't post anymore ..

Comment

Try the command "df -h" that will tell you how much space do you have in different folders/partitions.

My guess is that the folder where apt downloads the files before installing is out of space. You can try "sudo apt-get autoremove" or you can manually remove install files for packages that you have already installed so the new install files can be downloaded.

Comment

Possibly a full /tmp dir?

Comment

Originally posted by ajiratech View Post
                      Try the command "df -h" that will tell you how much space do you have in different folders/partitions.

My guess is that the folder where apt downloads the files before installing is out of space. You can try "sudo apt-get autoremove" or you can manually remove install files for packages that you have already installed so the new install files can be downloaded.

Thanks for trying to help me ajiratech, here's an output from the "df -h" command

regards, Jefken3.
                      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

What is the output of:

find /var/log -type f -exec du -Sh {} + | sort -rh | h ead -n 5

You may need to run as root if it complains. Something is filling your log directory.

Comment

That was also my opinion, question is can I delete anything in var/log/?
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

i also encountered that problem with my armbian, when the log2ram partition is full the system will becomes unstable.

Originally posted by Jefken3 View Post
                            That was also my opinion, question is can I delete anything in var/log/?
                            yes you can delete some files, alternatively you can reboot it should be purged.
                            it should also be dumped to disk every so often but it is too small to handle 24/7 use.

Comment

You can run

find /var/log -type f -delete

but be aware that this will erase all current logs. On my box I edited /etc/logrotate.conf to help keep old logs from stockpiling. Change the line 'rotate 4' to 'rotate 1' so it only keeps one week of logs rather than 4.

Comment

Thanks nosmokingbandit, I opted for the second option!
                                Have a nice WE!

Comment

Working...
                                X