Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Linux From SD Card or USB Flash Drive - Using Balbes150 Method And Files.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jefken3 View Post

Hi, nice to see You here again Nofan Tasi,

Thanks mate, meanwile i found another sd card that was big enough.
    I do have some updates to do, should I take the risk?

Code:
    "[ 56 updates to install: apt upgrade ]"
    Greetings
    Hi JefkenX
    For aarch64 I do not use Ubuntu much, I mostly use own built / maintained Gentoo.
    I do have a bleeding edge minimal Ubuntu chroot inside Gentoo but that chroot is already on zesty 17.04...

Comment

Originally posted by Nofan Tasi View Post
      Hi JefkenX
      For aarch64 I do not use Ubuntu much, I mostly use own built / maintained Gentoo.
      I do have a bleeding edge minimal Ubuntu chroot inside Gentoo but that chroot is already on zesty 17.04...
      How to build Gentoo for aarch64, would it give me advantages? I do use this Ubuntu build as a server for OScam and tvheadend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jefken3 View Post

How to build Gentoo for aarch64, would it give me advantages? I do use this Ubuntu build as a server for OScam and tvheadend.
        Hi Jefken3,

I will PM you

Comment

The new version of the ArchLinux image (LXDE + KODI). The main feature of this version - it is possible to watch a fullscreen video via the integrated KODI.
          For those who need a desktop along with the ability to watch full screen video, I recommend this version to testing.

the password for root woofwoof
          Details in this thread.
          Author SFS.

Comment

Updated images kernel 3.14 Armbian 20170531. Changes to scripts activate the multi-boot and run system from external media. In the new version of the scripts allow to start the system from any USB socket (if the is connected other USB media). Back support "nodm", now in the images is used in common with the main branch Armbian authorization system. If you want you can install the package "lightdm" in version Mate-that-be to have a graphical authentication when you log into the system (just don't forget together with the installation of lightdm, remove the nodm package, otherwise they will interfere with each other). Other changes see the description of changes to main branch Armbian (replacement browser on Chromium, etc.).

Comment

Thanks Balbes150 for all your work, I was following the forum instructions for use the images and use the armbian tv box for cheap mini server projects, with very low energy.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Hi,

I have a MXQ Pro 4K.

I wolud like to run Linux on my Box, but i cannot get this thing working.
                I followed your instruktions.
                After the update (Step 7) the Box reboot and always stopps with the Message MXQ PRO on the Screen.
                (I really waited about 2 houres after reboot)
                When i remove the SD Card and reboot, the Box will boot to the usual Android System.

Can you help me with this Problem?
                Last edited by giant0040; 06-04-2017, 13:39. Reason: spellin

Comment

Originally posted by giant0040 View Post
                  After the update (Step 7) the Box reboot and always stopps with the Message MXQ PRO on the Screen.
                  You need to copy the correct dtb file for your box to the root directory of the FAT partition, renaming it to dtb.img.

Comment

I'm running the headless server version of Armbian (Jessie and Xenial) on a Nexbox A95X S905 (non-X). It's working very, very well. Convincingly well-done work. Recently upgraded from the march 17 to may 31 version.

Two questions:

1. How do you guys upgrade Balbes versions - I can't seem to imagine if there is any way to keep your OS/server setup, when flashing my SD card with a new release from Balbes. As of now, I simply start over with the server from scratch. How do you guys upgrade to a new release? Start over, as well? Any other way?
                    2. Where can I review "if/when it is worth starting over" - the changes/features/bugfixes/security fixes done in a new release. Basically, where can I find a sort of changelog for a new release, to judge the criticality of upgrading to a new release version versus the (very minor) hassle of losing my server setup and starting over?

Thanks, guys.

And lastly, a little tip to those struggling with activating multi-boot; I frequently fail to get my Nexbox S905 to boot from the SD card image. When it fails, I simply remove the SD card, write a (new) image to a USB stick with LED and boot from that. That always works, for some reason. After booting Xenial/Jessie from a fresh image, I can remove the USB stick and replug the SD card. Voila. It boots like a champ again.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimon View Post

You need to copy the correct dtb file for your box to the root directory of the FAT partition, renaming it to dtb.img.
                      Thanks for the information. I tried the mxqpro dtb file (rename to dtb.img) but it i get the same result.
                      It stopps after reboot with the Message MXQ PRO on the Screen.

Comment

Hi,

I originally posted my question in Libreelec topic, but I suppose my question makes more sense in this topic.

I have LE installed in the emmc of my S95 Telos and I'd like to evaluate an ODROID-C2 rom based on Debian (I guess Armbian).

Here is what I did until now :

I ran u-boot image again to make sure multiboot is enabled, and I know it is, as I'm able to run a "virgin" image of Libreelec from USB stick.

Now I'd like to make the ODROID-C2 image bootable, but I am not sure what to do. I added in boot folder s905_autoscript aml_autoscript and dtb.img but I have a bootloop. I guess I should edit s905_autoscript but I'm not very comfortable doing it without advise, I'm worried to brick my box.

Attached is the boot partition of the odroid image

Thanks for any help
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fxfxfx View Post
                          I'm running the headless server version of Armbian (Jessie and Xenial) on a Nexbox A95X S905 (non-X). It's working very, very well. Convincingly well-done work. Recently upgraded from the march 17 to may 31 version.

Two questions:

1. How do you guys upgrade Balbes versions - I can't seem to imagine if there is any way to keep your OS/server setup, when flashing my SD card with a new release from Balbes. As of now, I simply start over with the server from scratch. How do you guys upgrade to a new release? Start over, as well? Any other way?
                          2. Where can I review "if/when it is worth starting over" - the changes/features/bugfixes/security fixes done in a new release. Basically, where can I find a sort of changelog for a new release, to judge the criticality of upgrading to a new release version versus the (very minor) hassle of losing my server setup and starting over?

Thanks, guys.

And lastly, a little tip to those struggling with activating multi-boot; I frequently fail to get my Nexbox S905 to boot from the SD card image. When it fails, I simply remove the SD card, write a (new) image to a USB stick with LED and boot from that. That always works, for some reason. After booting Xenial/Jessie from a fresh image, I can remove the USB stick and replug the SD card. Voila. It boots like a champ again.
                          If you have everything working, you may be limited to simple regular update packages. For a detailed description of changes need time, and I really miss it.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I tried the mxqpro dtb file (rename to dtb.img) but it i get the same result.
                            It stopps after reboot with the Message MXQ PRO on the Screen.

"
                            You need to copy the correct dtb file for your box to the root directory of the FAT partition
                            "

Comment

Hiwyx

These questions have been discussed here many times, see earlier posts in this thread.

Comment

Pay attention to your specs. Depending on the image version (old or new dtb format), you'd probably need either mxq_pro_4k for Armbian 5.24 or gxbb_p200_2G / mxq_s905 for the universal S905(x) images, respectively.

balbes150 BTW, are the Armbian 5.24 S905-specific (3.14.79 kernel) images still available or I can't find them?

Comment

Working...
                                X