Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NextBook 7P S (Resisitve screen) - Ice Cream Sandwich - Finless ROM 1.2 Root and Gplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NextBook 7P S (Resisitve screen) - Ice Cream Sandwich - Finless ROM 1.2 Root and Gplay

OK so here you go Nextbook 7P S Resistive screen users!

This IS NOT for the Nextbook 7P SE Capacitive screen model or any other Naxtbook 7 tablet (older models). See my NP7 SE Capacitive screen ROM for that model

This ROM is based off the successful STOCK ROM dump provided by FreakTab user Randy. It is fully rooted, /system is read and write, SU and SuperUser pre-installed. Google Play pre-installed. I have also removed the kernel from boot.img as this makes the system run and boot a little faster.

This HAS been tested by owners of the Nextbook 7P S Resistive Screen and works with no known issues.

SPECIAL THANKS to FreakTab user N4RPS for getting this ROM to me!

Does it work on all Nextbook 7P tablets? Not sure! But the fact that it does boot on my 10G2 means it is a working ROM. I cannot test anything about it on my 10G2 but again it does boot.

Anyway for those that want to try it, here is the Nextbook 7P S ICS Resisitve Screen Finless ROM V1.2 download.

ROM -> Nextbook 7P S Resistive Screen ICS ROM 1.2 by Finless (200 megs)

PLEASE READ THE README.TXT inside this kit.
    YOU MUST and I am serious about this MUST EraseIDB and click the loader check box in the flash tool! This has a new loader version 2.14 and you must use it! Actually I tested and Loader 2.08 (old version) works too but it is slow compared to the new version. BUT do what I say please to be sure!

Enjoy Nextbook users and let me know how it all works!

Later I will probably have a fully rooted version up with Google Play installed soon. So I am waiting to hear how this works as no sense it working on a root if it doesnt.

Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 01-21-2015, 14:56.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Just picked up the tablet today, and followed your flashing instructions exactly. It went smoothly, and everything seems to be functioning great, including google play store.

Really appreciate your work, Bob, thank you very much!

Comment

I also just picked one up from BigLots, totally awesome! Worked perfectly. thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by snicker View Post
        I also just picked one up from BigLots, totally awesome! Worked perfectly. thanks a lot!
        Hello!

Let me begin by saying 'welcome' to all the new people who went to Big Lots, purchased these tablets, and are now here as a result. I, for one, look forward to doing all I can to help folks with their questions, and to my seeing you folks provide your input. I hope that by having everyone to work together, we can make this the best possible computing experience for everyone involved.

Haven't had a LOT of time to do a lot with the new ROM myself, but Finless has DEFINTELY done one heckuva job by getting this ROM ready just in the nick of time for the big sale.

I know I sound like a broken record, but again, many thanks, Bob!

73 DE N4RPS
        Rob

Comment

Heya, signed up for these forums literally to get the rooted ROM, and wanted to say thank you! This is my first Android tablet.

Minor correction for people who are complete noobs like me: when on the "Flashing the ROM" part, to get into recovery mode for this model, you need to depress both volume buttons as instructed earlier, reset, release reset, then release volumes. The "1) The nextbook 7 only has one hard button, power. No hard volume buttons." is for a different model.

Once again, thank you very much! I love this little tablet but getting the full Google Play experience will be great.

And yeah, followed your instructions and everything seems to be working. Just successfully installed Play.

Comment

Thanks for making a rooted room with gapps! Made an account just to get this rom but might stay around a while. I picked up one of these tablets today for 90 bucks at big lots just to play around on something other then my Asus Tablet. Installed Rom Toolbox pro and already have a load of customization!

Comment

Yea.......

I would also like to say thank you to all those involved in rooting this device..... I can say that this method works flawlessly... and so does the stock one for that matter.... Keep up the great work gang.... oh and if anyone needs a tester.... count me in...

happy romming/theming/deving

Comment

Its almost perfect besides from the crappy screen... but hey what do you expect for less then 100 bucks, right now my only problem I have is the device randomly locks up after a while which requires a manual reset by pushing the pin on the back.

Right now I am seeing how long the battery life lasts by having the screen turned up all the way streaming a hd movie (using a hardware accelerated .mp4 codec @ 1920x1080 so the device can play it on its lower res display) over a linux network share using moboplayer and ES file explorer. I also have the volume turned all the way up driving some headphones... Will report in later to share how long the battery lasts (or whats left).

I have also found out that if you add "ro.sf.lcd_density=xx" in the build prob you can replace the xx and adjust your density. HOWEVER the default launcher will crash if you use a number between 121-159 from my experimentation. I will try one of those numbers using a different launcher once my movie test is done.

EDIT:
                On my battery life test the device played an 1 hour and 70 minute movie with 17% battery life left. So it can survive one movie!

More EDIT:
                HOLY FUDGE THIS THING CHARGES FAST.... went from 17 to 70% in only 30 minutes
                Last edited by flamesprite; 05-28-2012, 08:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  OK so here you go Nextbook 7P S Resistive screen users!Enjoy Nextbook users and let me know how it all works!

Later I will probably have a fully rooted version up with Google Play installed soon. So I am waiting to hear how this works as no sense it working on a root if it doesnt.

Bob
                  Hello, I want to say thanks for posting this up and it's working great except for a couple of issues for me.

1. The calendar app shows as having sync problems under the accounts part of settings. It also shows up as com.andriod.calendar I think instead of Calendar.
                  2. Some apps won't install as they say the device isn't supported, such as Facebook. I was wondering if there would be a way to change it to a similarly specked but natively supported device.
                  3. Account creation via the settings app hung on me and wan't able to be completed. I was able to do it via SuperUser so it seems to work just fine now.
                  4. It aways says my SD cards are damaged. It asks to format them which I let them and then it immediately goes back to saying they are damaged. I've tried 2 separate SD cards that are known good and they both do this. I'll try going back to the stock rom and seeing if the behavior persists.

Comment

Bugs like all you have reported are going to be in the stock ROM. All I did was root it and install the GPlay APKs. Hopefully nextbook will release an update fixing those problems.

As for some apps saying not compatible, well they could not be compatible with ICS yet? e.g. your SDK level. Hard to believe facebook would not be by now though? I do not know. If it is suppose to be compatible with ICS then it is your device ID in build.prop. So maybe find another tablet on ICS that facebook works on and edit your build.prop to state you are that tablet.

Best solution I can offer. I really cant do any more work on this ROM since I do not have a nextbook to test on. I know how to root RK tablets even not having one but thats about as far as I can go.

Bob

Comment

On my Nextbook Prem 7S I just got from BigLots. I loaded Facebook.1.7 APK and it loads up just fine.

I can't get Tapatalk to work tho :\

About to flash the rom now. Thanks again Finless. You The Man!

Comment

Originally posted by ions View Post
                        On my Nextbook Prem 7S I just got from BigLots. I loaded Facebook.1.7 APK and it loads up just fine.

I can't get Tapatalk to work tho :\

About to flash the rom now. Thanks again Finless. You The Man!

Ill give Tapatalk a try myself to see if I can get it to work.

I currently get about 4 hours of battery life using the tablet moderately browsing the web. Not bad but I know it will get better as we get some optimization from the rom devs. I installed Juice defender ultimate so ill see how that helps

Comment

Flashed the ROM and it works perfectly for me. Facebook still works with 1.7 version I downloaded and so far everything works besides Tapatalk. I downloaded Convo which is a Tapatalk client and it works good.

So far no problems besides that.

Comment

It is working very fine for me too. Thank you Finless!

However, the Play Market thinks it is a phone. Well, maybe not the market itself, but some apps do. SwiftKey Tablet X reports, this is for Tablets, and you are trying to install this on a phone. And, Apex Launcher only gives me these HUGE icons. So large in fact, that I can only get three across the portrait screen, and also the apps icons are huge too. Launcher Pro works much better, but everytime I go back to the home screen, it asks me for the Default Launcher again. It will not stay. I am about to delete the stock launcher to prevent this from happening.

I know these problems have nothing to do with your ROM. It would all appear how the tablet is being identified by the Market, and certain apps. Just wanted to put that info out there.

Again, Thank you Finless
                            Jim
                            ---
                            Ainol Novo 7 Elf II Dual Core
                            Milestone (Droid) - Chevy SS GB ROM
                            Milestone X - Rooted Stock GB ROM

Comment

What you need to do to "fool" google into thinking your something else is to edit build.prop.

I have a GREAT build.prop that works well on my 2.0 ROM. You can try it if you like but realize the SDK= in build.prop must be changed to your SDK level (not the one from mine) or you will have serious issues. So do this and let me know.

Below is my build.prop. You will need a root file explorer to go to /system and see the build.prop file. Rename it to build.old. But before you do that, make a copy and edit it. Put in everything you see in this build.prop bu change the SDK= to your current build.prop. If this doesnt work, you can always delete the build.prop and rename your old one back.

NOW IMPORTANT!!! WHen you change build.prop to get it to work properly, you have to go into settings>privacy and do a factory data reset! If you do not do this, not everything needed will change.
                              WARNING, a factory data reset erases all your APPS you installed, accounts, etc. So basically it is back to a fresh ROM when this is complete! Only thing that wont change is ANYTHING that went into /system like your edited build.prop

# begin build properties
                              # autogenerated by buildinfo.sh
                              ro.build.id=GINGERBREAD
                              ro.build.display.id=GINGERBREAD.eng.hwg.20110913.1 92033
                              ro.build.version.incremental=eng.hwg.20110913.1920 33
                              ro.build.version.sdk=9
                              ro.build.version.codename=REL
                              ro.build.version.release=2.3.1
                              ro.build.date=Tue Sep 13 19:20:56 CST 2011
                              ro.build.date.utc=1315912856
                              ro.build.type=user
                              ro.build.user=hwg
                              ro.build.host=rk29
                              ro.build.tags=test-keys
                              ro.product.model=AN10G2
                              ro.product.brand=rockchip
                              ro.product.name=rk29sdk
                              ro.product.device=rk29sdk
                              ro.product.board=rk29sdk
                              ro.product.cpu.abi=armeabi-v7a
                              ro.product.cpu.abi2=armeabi
                              ro.product.manufacturer=unknown
                              ro.product.locale.language=en
                              ro.product.locale.region=US
                              ro.wifi.channels=
                              ro.board.platform=rk29
                              # ro.build.product is obsolete; use ro.product.device
                              ro.build.product=rk29sdk
                              # Do not try to parse ro.build.description or .fingerprint
                              ro.build.description=rk29sdk-user 2.3.1 GINGERBREAD eng.hwg.20110913.192033 test-keys
                              ro.build.fingerprint=rockchip/rk29sdk/rk29sdk:2.3.1/GINGERBREAD/eng.hwg.20110913.192033:user/test-keys
                              # end build properties

#
                              # ADDITIONAL_BUILD_PROPERTIES
                              #
                              keyguard.no_require_sim=true
                              ro.com.android.dateformat=MM-dd-yyyy
                              ro.com.android.dataroaming=true
                              ro.ril.hsxpa=1
                              ro.ril.gprsclass=10
                              ro.config.notification_sound=OnTheHunt.ogg
                              ro.config.alarm_alert=Alarm_Classic.ogg
                              ro.setupwizard.mode=DISABLED
                              ro.opengles.version=131072
                              dalvik.vm.heapsize=48m
                              wifi.interface=wlan0
                              wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=15
                              persist.webview.minscale=0.5
                              persist.webview.maxscale=2
                              persist.webview.wml=disable
                              product.version=Finless FreakTab V2.0
                              EXTERNAL_STORAGE_STATE=removed
                              persist.sys.timezone=Europe/Paris
                              dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=y
                              net.bt.name=Android
                              dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

Comment

Working...
                              X