Nextbook Premium 9 Root

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE HELP!?

Okay, I'll admit I'm extremely "newb" to all of this "flahing" "rooting" "apk" and "ROM".. (sounds like "Technologic - Daft Punk" to me).

In short, I've read the forum over and over.. AND OVER.. And I guess I'm just not understanding it yet. (waaaaait for iiiiiiiit...)

I have a desktop computer running Vista, and a Nextbook Premium 9.

All I know? I hate the bloody tablet for not having the googleplay market, or ANY other market other than the p.o.s. "GetJar". YUCK!

Pleeeease, is there ANYONE out there with the patience of a saint who could guide this poor unfortunately lost sheep step-by-step with this issue? (i.e. step 1 turn on computer, till step 1,000,000 turn off computer)?

I know it's a tall order to ask of this AMAZING forum, and I give my GREATEST respects to everyone who has helped with this obnoxiously horrific problem. (Nextbook should have NEVER gone without googleplay).

Thank you so much for everything, and feel free to email the tutorial to my email: [email protected]
    ARIGATO!

Comment

I can help you to the bast of my ability

Tell me where to help you start from and i will do my best to help

Comment

Originally posted by Silicon Orb View Post
        I just wanted to note something here which might help. Based on another users indication that the Nextbook Premium 9 was the same as the Digma IDX9, I started doing a lot of digging. It turns out that there is at least one other compatible unit, the GoClever R93, which seems to have even better stock firmware, and includes a fully functioning Play store, and no compatibility issues. Even Netflix fires right up with this firmware revision. I haven't figured out how to root it yet, and while it would be nice, I haven't really found the need to at this point.

The firmware I used can be found here. It is Gingerbread, but so is the 1.5a. If Finless is watching this, the image in that link might be a much better foundation for him to do his magic on.

I have also found a 4.0 firmware indicated for use with a 1 gig version of the tablet. I suspect that trying to install this on a 512mb Nextbook would result in a brick, and I'm not going to try it, but again, perhaps Finless can take a look and do his magic on this image to make it run on the 512mb hardware. It is here. However, this one is the IDX9, which I don't believe has the Play store support, so it may be moot.
        My Next9P won't boot from an sdcard created using that image.

Comment

Originally posted by rkarp1987 View Post
          Okay, I'll admit I'm extremely "newb" to all of this "flahing" "rooting" "apk" and "ROM".. (sounds like "Technologic - Daft Punk" to me).

In short, I've read the forum over and over.. AND OVER.. And I guess I'm just not understanding it yet. (waaaaait for iiiiiiiit...)

I have a desktop computer running Vista, and a Nextbook Premium 9.

All I know? I hate the bloody tablet for not having the googleplay market, or ANY other market other than the p.o.s. "GetJar". YUCK!

Pleeeease, is there ANYONE out there with the patience of a saint who could guide this poor unfortunately lost sheep step-by-step with this issue? (i.e. step 1 turn on computer, till step 1,000,000 turn off computer)?

I know it's a tall order to ask of this AMAZING forum, and I give my GREATEST respects to everyone who has helped with this obnoxiously horrific problem. (Nextbook should have NEVER gone without googleplay).

Thank you so much for everything, and feel free to email the tutorial to my email: [email protected]
          ARIGATO!
          1market can be installed from their website. it has a lot of good stuff. otherwise, I used information posted in this very thread to root mine. I'm not going after google play yet so don't have any advise for that yet. My next mod is getting apt-get installed so I can build Ubuntu on top of the android kernel.

Comment

confused

Im connfused on how to download this help please

Comment

Showing Interest...

Is it a standard image file which can be directly uploaded to the device? If so, I may be able to pull it apart and re-package it.

I have successfully rooted the R93 Gingerbread firmware, as well as added some tweaks found elsewhere on the web and gotten rid of much of the bloat. The tablet seems to breath easier now and is stable. The Play market works great as well. It doesn't boot considerably faster, but I can live with that. I am still looking at what else I can ditch / add to make a nice package for NEXT9P owners. If there's any interest in this, I can make it available once I am done playing.
              Heya Silicon Orb,

I used finless's 1.5a ROM and it worked great for a while. All of sudden everything is going haywire. I am going to reinstall it in a few but wanted to let you know that I was interested in what you were saying about the R93 Gingerbread rom. I am relatively new to the world of "tablet unlocking" but not necessarily to technology in general.

If you intend on doing something with this then I will be keeping an eye out for it.

Thanks to you and Finless for making this device usable.

- Kenneth

Comment

Is it a standard image file which can be directly uploaded to the device? If so, I may be able to pull it apart and re-package it.

I have successfully rooted the R93 Gingerbread firmware, as well as added some tweaks found elsewhere on the web and gotten rid of much of the bloat. The tablet seems to breath easier now and is stable. The Play market works great as well. It doesn't boot considerably faster, but I can live with that. I am still looking at what else I can ditch / add to make a nice package for NEXT9P owners. If there's any interest in this, I can make it available once I am done playing.
                I am also worked with Bobs 1.5a Gingerbred image. It worked great for about 2 weeks, then had all kinds of issues, I re imaged twice, but the same issues kept happening. I could not shut down without a hard reset.

I loaded the ICS image, I followed the ICS thread for the P9 carefully and could not root... not sure why. So if you have an improved rooted image, I would be interested.

Thanks

Comment

I think this might help

Originally posted by TooSlow View Post
                  I loaded the ICS image, I followed the ICS thread for the P9 carefully and could not root... not sure why. So if you have an improved rooted image, I would be interested.

Thanks
                  Here are my revised steps for everything and make sure to start from installing android sdk tools because they are necessary:

Here are the steps used to install the adb driver, root the tablet, and install google play.
                  Also, i have confirmed this working on two of my Nextbook 9 tablets.

As a note: if you already have facebook, facebook messenger, or youtube installed (and possibly other apps as well) before you follow these steps, once you have google play installed, they will force close and will not work. All you have to do is uninstall them, and reinstall them through Google Play and they will work. Simple as that.

Installing SDK tools

1. First of all you would need download the adb tools, necessary to perform most work on android, if you do not already have them. You can download them from this link if you are using a windows computer:
                  http://dl.google.com/android/install....3-windows.exe
                  2. Then when you are done downloading this file, go to this site for the instructions on how to install it:
                  http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/index.html

Now Check your .android folder!
                  1. Once you have completely installed android sdk tools, search your computer for a folder called ".android" without quotes.
                  2. Once you find the folder, open it and then open the file named adb_usb.ini and check to see if there is a line that says "0x2207" with out quotes. If it does not have this line, just add "0x2207" (without quotes) and save.
                  3. If you do not have the adb_usb.ini file, right click in the .android file and go to new, then text document. Rename the file as adb_usb.ini, then open it and type "0x2207" (without quotes) and save.
                  4. Now move on to installing the adb driver.

Installing the adb driver for the Nextbook 9:
                  Vista and Win7
                  1. You can do this by plugging your Nextbook 9 into your computer using the cable that came with it.
                  2. Then on the nextbook 9, you want to make sure USB Debugging is enabled. You can do this by going to settings on the nextbook 9, then to development. Then make sure there is a check mark next to USB Debugging. (Windows might complain that it was un able to install the driver software. If so, you can close the windows that popup)
                  3. Next, on your computer download the file named "Nextbook 9 driver.zip" that can be found here:
                  http://www.mediafire.com/?naz9jarl3u09aus
                  4. Once the download is completed, go to your downloads folder, and unzip the folder named "Nextbook 9 drivers"
                  5. Next, go to start, then type device manager.
                  6. Then click on device manger once it shows up.
                  7.0 Then it can be one of two options, once device manager loads:
                  7.1 If there is a device listed with an yellow triangle, right click on it and then go to properties, then go to details, and in the drop down menu select hardware Ids, and check to see if it lists "USB\VID_2207&PID_0000&REV_0222&MI_01" and "USB\VID_2207&PID_0000&&MI_01", if not, check to see if there is another device with a yellow tringle, and check it. If none of these match then go to step
                  7.2 If you do not find your device listed with a yellow trianlge, then it has been installed as a Universial serial bus controller. Click on "Universal Serial Bus Controller" to open the devices installed in that category, and scroll to "USB Composite Devices" If there is more than one, then you have to right click on each one and go to properties, then go to details, then in drop down menu, select Hardware Ids, and find the one that lists "USB\VID_2207&PID_0000&REV_0222&MI_01" and "USB\VID_2207&PID_0000&&MI_01" as its hardware id.
                  8. Now, once you have found your device in the device manager, you want to right click on it, and choose to "update driver software" then choose "browse my computer for driver software"
                  9. Then click on the browse button and navigate to where you unzipped the folder called "Nextbook 9 driver" (probably in your downloads folder if you did not change it), and select the unzipped folder called "Nextbook 9 driver" then press ok.
                  10. Now press next, and the driver software should install. Windows will warn you that it cannot verify the publisher of this software. Choose to "Install anyway" (I only updated the setup information, i did not create the software. I obtained this software from a post by domrad through this this website. i downloaded the software from this link:
                  http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...sing-ADB-guide )
                  11. If it finishes with no errors, move on to rooting.
                  12. If it does not install, start from step 1 again.

Win XP
                  1. You can do this by plugging your Nextbook 9 into your computer using the cable that came with it.
                  2. Then on the nextbook 9, you want to make sure you USB Debugging enabled. You can do this by going to settings on the nextbook 9, then to development. Then make sure there is a check mark next to USB Debugging. (Windows might complain that it was un able to install the driver software. If so, you can close the windows that popup)
                  3. Next you want to download the file named "Nextbook 9 driver.zip" that can be found here:
                  http://www.mediafire.com/?naz9jarl3u09aus
                  4. Once the download has completed, go to your downloads folder, and unzip the folder named "Nextbook 9 drivers" (Make sure the tablet is still plugged into the computer, or plug it in now)
                  5. Now, press start and go to control panel. Then open "Add Hardware"
                  Now press next and it will search for software. Now there are two possibilities
                  7.1 If it finds it at this point, good. Just choose to "Install from a list or specific Location (Advanced)" and press next. Then press browse, and go to the unzipped "Nextbook 9 Driver" folder and press ok.
                  OR (you can skip to step 8 if your device has installed)
                  7.2 If it does not find it automatically, it will ask you "Have you already connected the hardware to your computer?" select "Yes, i have already connected the hardware" and press next.
                  7.2.1 It will then bring up a list, and you need to scroll all the way down to the bottom of it and select "Add new hardware device" then press next.
                  7.2.2 It will then ask you "What do you want the wizard to do?" select "Install the hardware that i manually select from a list (Advanced)" then press next.
                  7.2.3 Now select "Show All Devices" and press next.
                  7.2.4Now it will bring up options to choose "Manufacturer" and "Model" ignore these and press "Have Disk"
                  7.2.5Now press "browse" and go to the unzipped "Nextbook 9 Driver" folder, double click it and select a file named "android_winusb.inf" then press "open"
                  7.2.6Now press "OK" Then press next, then press next again.
                  7.2.7 It will now install the driver. When it finishes it will say "The following hardware was installed: %ADB_INTERFACE% and it will also say "The software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly. The device cannot start. (Code 10)" This is just fine do not worry.
                  7.2.8 Now press finish.
                  7.2.9 Now i want you to open device manager. (You can do this by pressing start, right clicking on my computer and going to properties, then go to hardware and click device manager)
                  7.2.10 Once device manger is open, you will see a category called "android phone" with "%ADB_INTERFACE%" listed under it with a yellow circle and an exclamation point. Right click on "%ADB_INTERFACE%" and select "scan for hardware changes" Your device should now install.
                  7.2.11If not try restarting your computer and then open device manager and see if there is still a yellow circle next to "%ADB_INTERFACE%"
                  8. Now in Device Manger, open the category named "Android Phones" then right click on "%ADB_INTERFACE%" and then go to properties, then go to details, and in the drop down menu select hardware Ids, and check to see if it lists "USB\VID_2207&PID_0000&REV_0222&MI_01" and "USB\VID_2207&PID_0000&&MI_01" if so, your ADB Driver is now installed.

Now you need to root your Nextbook 9:

1. In order to root this tablet, you need to download a one step tool called "Bin4ry" yo your computer, use this link to do so:
                  http://www.mediafire.com/?b9ac9q1m27827se
                  2. Once you have finished downloading, go to your downloads folder and unzip the folder named "Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v15".
                  3. Make sure your nextbook 9 is still plugged into the computer (or plug it in now), and go to the settings on the nextbook 9, then go to storage, and in the upper right corner click the menu button, then click USB Computer Connection.
                  4. Now on your computer, open the unzipped "Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v15" folder, and double click the file called RunMe
                  5. It will open a new window (a type of command prompt)
                  6. Now type 1 and press enter.
                  7. Now follow the instructions it will give you (such as "unlock device and press restore" or something like that, it does not get difficult, and should only take 2-5 minutes to complete. And as a warning, when it tells you to press restore on your device, all it is doing is resetting some of your settings, for example your wallpaper. It does not reset anything such as saved accounts, wifi setting, sound settings, etc. and it does not remove any applications. Also, it will reboot your device atleast twice, so do not try to do it yourself when it says "rebooting device", just wait and it will complete).
                  8. When the program is done and your nextbook 9 is fully rebooted, you can close the bin4ry window.

Installing Google Play:
                  1. On your Nextbook 9, open your browser, and go to:
                  http://download.estrongs.com/app-es-file-explorer.html
                  2. If it asks you to save then save it. Once the download is complete, install it. This will install ES file explorer. When done installing, press done.
                  3. Now on your computer, download the file named "Play For Nextbook 9.zip" that can be found here:
                  http://www.mediafire.com/?at464o0s985ucp4
                  4. Once it is done downloading, go to your downloads folder, and Unzip the folder "Play For Nextbook 9" and open the unzipped folder (keep this window open)
                  5. Now make sure your Nextbook 9 is still plugged into your computer (if not, then plug it in now), and turn on USB storage.
                  6. Now on your computer, open my computer and navigate to your nextbooks internal storage. Make a new folder, and leave the name as "new folder", or what ever you like. Open it.
                  7. Now copy everything from the unzipped "Play For Nextbook 9" folder to the "new folder" folder on your nextbook.
                  8. Now eject your nextbook from your computer. Then turn off usb storage on the nextbook.
                  9. FOLLOW THE NEXT STEPS CAREFULLY. Now open ES file explorer on your nextbook 9.
                  10. Press the menu button (or option button as some might call it), and go to settings. Then scroll down to root settings. Put a check mark next to "Root Explorer" and a window will pop up asking to deny or grant. CHOOSE GRANT. Then put a check mark next to "up to root" and "mount file system"
                  11. Now press the back button twice.
                  12. Open the folder named "sdcard" then find the "new folder" folder or what ever you had named it and open it (if you can't find it there, press the back button once, and go to the folder named "external_sd" and look there).
                  13. Now at the top off the screen there is a options bar, with options such as "favorite" "select" "search" etc. Press the "select" option.
                  14. Now tap each of the files in the "new folder" folder once, so that each one's font has turned green.
                  15. Now on the options bar press "copy"
                  16. Now press the back button three times.
                  17. Now open the folder called "system" then open the folder called "app"
                  18. Now on the options bar press "paste"
                  19. Once it has finished (should take about 10 seconds) press the home button and restart your nextbook 9. When it loads YOU WILL HAVE GOOGLE PLAY. (may take a minute for it to show up)
                  20. Open google play and setup your account.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you still cant get it to work you can try the jellybean rom, but there are several little bugs with it, read post #29 to see the ones i mention:

James

Comment

New to this

I also have a Nextbook 9 which is super slow and it seems sometimes locked, but I am totally bad at computer stuff, never deal with them at all, only go to read, do emails and get apps I like, but have no idea of all this terminologies you guys are using. All I want to find out is, is it possible for me to make this tablet faster and not get stuck as much, it seems is bad in memory and SUUUUPER slow... i don't use it that much as I don't have the patience to wait for it to respond. Hate to have spend the money and not use it.
                    Can anyone help ??????.. Tks

Comment

Originally posted by Loly View Post
                      I also have a Nextbook 9 which is super slow and it seems sometimes locked, but I am totally bad at computer stuff, never deal with them at all, only go to read, do emails and get apps I like, but have no idea of all this terminologies you guys are using. All I want to find out is, is it possible for me to make this tablet faster and not get stuck as much, it seems is bad in memory and SUUUUPER slow... i don't use it that much as I don't have the patience to wait for it to respond. Hate to have spend the money and not use it.
                      Can anyone help ??????.. Tks
                      The short answer is no. Longer answer: Not without getting deep into technology. This tab needs more memory. Or swap space. Until we figure that out, there is no hope for it.

Comment

Possible new information about the missing memory

Apparently Cortex A8 processor divides it's memory evenly between 16bit stuff and 32bit stuff. The 32bit memory is not available to the 16bit and vice verse. I tried to find my source for this information. But, the gist of it is that a well designed kernel can overcome this problem.

I'm trying to gather enough information to be able to build our own kernel optimized for the Next9P with swap of course.

Anyone that has more specific information about the device or the RK2918 (i actually suspect the chip is the lower cost version RK2906) please let me know.

Comment

Damn what a Great Root!!

I just rooted my wifes next9p, she has had nothing but problems with it since I got it for her. Thank You Very Much for the root. If I have any problems or better yet, if She has any problems, I will update this post. Again Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ferret71107 View Post
                            I just rooted my wifes next9p, she has had nothing but problems with it since I got it for her. Thank You Very Much for the root. If I have any problems or better yet, if She has any problems, I will update this post. Again Thanks!!
                            good luck with your rooted next9p. i'd be curious how much ram yours reports. I been busy with work and still have not located a replacement charger. so, my development is halted at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferret71107 View Post
                              Don't stop there. This tablet is much better with JellyBean. Until I installed it on my 9P, the onlytime I really used it was to try to put a better OS on it. Now it actually gets used. It's worth the extra effort to do it.

The thread is here and you should read all of it before starting, if you decide to. If you already did this, then ignore the above. You already know If you haven't already, give AutoKiller memory manager a try as well. I think it helps with this tablet, at least until we can get a better solution to the low memory.

Comment

Nice work. My son was just given a nbook9 and this is just what I was looking for. Never rooted a android but will give it a try. Thanks

Bob is the man, kickass Heli vids and now rooted roms . What can't you do?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X