X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Dasher
    replied
    Originally posted by Burs View Post
    Ofcourse, that's all user assumption Android OS can fully allocate all 4GB...
    The new Samsung Note 4 is rumored to have 4gigs of RAM so it might be possible. As a habit I always try to buy devices with the highest hardware specs available as to avoid buyers remorse .... "Damn I knew I should have gotten the one with more RAM". With the ability of the RK3288 to run Chrome O/S I think 4gigs of RAM is well worth the extra money.

D

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by dlangejc View Post
    Looks like 9 sold ... Could be wrong.
    Yes, you're right. But as someone already said, some orders were placed through AliExpress 2G/8G listing, so it's all mixed up. We're waiting on Tina to shed some light on it... I already asked that twice, but no answer...

Originally posted by Finless View Post
    The NAND space increase I can understand but considering that most Android APPs need to work on small RAM devices, why is this so important right now?

Maybe I am not getting the importance?

Bob
    It's the other way around the way I see it. I always find it more cost-effective to expand my storage with sd cards, than cashing out double or triple amounts of money for the same gigs. The read/write speeds are comparable, and if the device suddenly dies, at least I don't loose all of my data. I need only 2 or 4GB for apps partition, and all other data I can mount on my external sd with FolderMount or similar tools.

Regarding RAM, why is it important? Well, personaly, I want to be future-proof, if I'm already cashing out much more than for other brand models, I'm planning to stick with it for awhile. It's only a matter of time when 3 or 4GB will become a standard. Next, the much more powerful Mali-T764 deserves no less. I believe in near future much more complex Android games will be released, and they will certainly become much more memory hungy. Last but not least - Linux distors, if they become supported. Linux will find a way to allocate every last bit of those 4GB. Ofcourse, that's all under assumption Android OS can fully allocate all 4GB. Otherwise, we're really throwing our money into the wind.

Just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2014, 16:31. Reason: misspelled a word :)

Leave a comment:

• no_spam_for_me
    replied
    To be honest, with the current level of Android APPs why do you really need 4GB DDR?

The NAND space increase I can understand but considering that most Android APPs need to work on small RAM devices, why is this so important right now?

Bob
    It exist a live next to Android

At Android 32GB is really nice because of e.g. games and if you don't want to use external SD with e.g FolderMount [ROOT] (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2192122)...
    I don't know, if I can use the 4GB at Android at e.g. games, but I hope so...

Leave a comment:

• Finless
    replied
    Originally posted by odrewjr View Post
    I have installed Bob's new rom using Windows 8 without any problems. I used the Rk3288 drivers as instructed and then followed the remaining instruction. Once drivers are installed, it takes less than 10 minutes to boot up. Thanks Bob very much!!!
    Your welcome. Might have been better posted in my 1.0 ROM thread but here is just fine

Enjoy,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Mr Dasher
    replied
    Originally posted by Nowandlayda View Post
    .... I have been screwed by so many sellers on that site.
    A very well stated post. I have ordered a lot of stuff from Aliexpress and it's like being in the wild west where anything goes. In the end, if there was the slightest problem it would always be a pain in the ass to fix. Definitely not worth it.

So because of that I have decided to cancel my 4gig HPH TV box. The seller didn't do anything wrong I just don't see the logic of prepaying for a device that may or may not be produced.

If I do purchase anything I'll probably hold off for a Minix device. Hopefully they think 4gigs of RAM would be a good option to include.

D

Leave a comment:

• odrewjr
    replied
    I have installed Bob's new rom using Windows 8 without any problems. I used the Rk3288 drivers as instructed and then followed the remaining instruction. Once drivers are installed, it takes less than 10 minutes to boot up. Thanks Bob very much!!!

Leave a comment:

• Nowandlayda
    replied
    I would absolutely love to see a tv box with 4G of ram. My problem is the crowd-funded/kickstarter approach on alibaba/aliexpress. I have been screwed by so many sellers on that site. Let's say 30 pre-orders do happen. The supplier then orders the different hardware and starts assembling the boxes. Then their development team, or developer, starts to accommodate the hw changes into android. As most of these tv box companies do, they rush the development and release half ass firmware which most likely won't support the 4 gigs of ram. SO now 3 or so months after purchasing the box, I finally receive a box that isn't even utilizing the hardware i paid extra for, and waited a quarter of a year to get. I prefer the amazon approach where you show me you have a fully functional working device that can take control of the extra 2 gigs, and then I'll fork over the extra money. I understand the business aspect of these companies. They can't just start forking money into something people won't buy. However, I believe the demand is obviously there by the popularity of this thread, the views on ali, and the mentions and talk on other sites like cnx-software. The hype around the next gen SOC's (amlogic, rockchip, mediatek, nvidia, etc.) have started a race for pushing out devices with under-developed firmware/hardware for powerful low-voltage CPU's crammed in box with no/little ventilation. I still cant fully utilize the full potential of my s802 because of hardware deficiencies. I would rather see tv box manufacturers use thermal paste, add box ventilation, use better heatsinks, and ADD FANS! With those simple cooling modifications at bulk would be what, at 10 dollar upgrade. Many companies are going to start mass producing their rk3288 boxes which will be like the rest 2g/8g and 2g/16g versions. The company that takes it up a notch and assembles tv boxes with more ram, more storage, and better cooling will be the winner and get my and others money, but like most people I rather see it happen before I invest in something that can potentially not even be fully taken advantage of by android and android apps.

Leave a comment:

• Finless
    replied
    Originally posted by bloatman View Post
    Yours is a valid opinion right now and I'm sure shared by most manufacturers. But in my opinion for the future of android not just right now and for Linux distributions 4gb becomes more important.
    I have tried all sorts of TV boxes from dual core 1g android boxes up to an i5 intel unit I'm using now and one constant for me was how especially in xbmc the increase in ram corresponded to faster opening of files and general smoothness in playing files. I prefer android over windows but for now windows is such a better experience because of this.

Especially in android I noticed a marked difference from 1gb to 2gb.
    But it's a game play right now. You buy a box with 4GB DDR and good chance it is replaced and obsolete by the time Android core is updated to take advantage of it LET ALONE any APPs that are forced to work with lower RAM.

XBMC is another topic in relation to this and is different in this case I agree. But look at what people ask for mostly! It's other APPs to work and work well not just XBMC.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• bloatman
    replied
    Bob, I spent a lot of my time trying to generate interest and even got you one to develop and you guys are shooting down my attempt to get a 4gb model by arguing against it thanks, everyone who patiently prepaid should just get a refund at this point. 11,613 views and only 9 ordered does not look good and I had thought your contribution would help the cause.

Leave a comment:

• bloatman
    replied
    To be honest, with the current level of Android APPs why do you really need 4GB DDR?

Bob
    Yours is a valid opinion right now and I'm sure shared by most manufacturers. But in my opinion for the future of android not just right now and for Linux distributions 4gb becomes more important.
    I have tried all sorts of TV boxes from dual core 1g android boxes up to an i5 intel unit I'm using now and one constant for me was how especially in xbmc the increase in ram corresponded to faster opening of files and general smoothness in playing files. I prefer android over windows but for now windows is such a better experience because of this.

Especially in android I noticed a marked difference from 1gb to 2gb.

Leave a comment:

• BTR11
    replied

Bob
    Correct, same feeling here; It´s a matter to wait for 64 bit architecture for Android and 64 Bit SoC capable to run Android. Much more important today is to have 64 Gb Internal storage; even the top models of most recognized mobile phones & tablets brands do not exceed of 3 Gb RAM with the current Android OS.

Leave a comment:

• Finless
    replied

Bob

Leave a comment:

• BTR11
    replied
    Thanks for the wise advice bloatman, decision made from my side!.

Leave a comment:

• Finless
    replied
    Originally posted by odrewjr View Post
    Bob, I can not find the switch inside headphone jack. I've done this a number of times before. Was it hard to fine? I want to install this rom tonight because my box I received was just like the one you received. Thanks
    It's NOT in the headphone jack. Look on the box there is a pin hole labeled reset.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• bloatman
    replied
    Originally posted by BTR11 View Post
    Thanks Bob, good and fair move. Thanks for your first custom firmware for HPH low model, it´s a shame that you are the only one in the real world having today this "on paper" great TV Box.

Forgot to mention to Tina / Nagrace, as well with Bob's support you will be selling your first lot of HPH 4Gb/32Gb, being a real lot of devices to be ordered in matters of minutes may be hours, may be don´t reach the day to have it sold out; and sure you will be rushing to produce the second bigger lots of HPH..
    I Can not believe Nagrace if it´s a serious company does not have capacity to produce a 30 pieces lot of HPH without having pre-ordered and pre-paid months ago when some of your competitors had offered for free several test samples, just with the commitment to test them and provide feedback.
    Almost every manufacturer only wants to commit to 2g ram on these boxes and some only 1gb. I worked hard to convince this company to make a 4gb and to send Bob one to develop a rom for it. If you don't like the way sale its set up you have many other choices that only offer the 2gb option. No sense to complain here, I think they asked for a minimum of 30 because they don't believe there is a demand for it and more people complain rather than order they may be right. I know I really want a 4gb model and almost ordered 30 myself just to get my hands on one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X