Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ShaunMT's Modified ROM for Nextbook NX785QC8G (Support Thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see a way to pop that cover off without destroying it. You got a vid actually showing you splitting the case apart?
    Last edited by Mike89; 01-05-2015, 06:15.

Comment

I just can't get the case apart. I also can't flash the stock rom. When I try and get to the point of plugging in the USB from computer to tablet to initiate the firmware install with tablet off, instead of automatically installing firmware, the freaktab emblem comes up followed by picture of battery and then tablet turns back off again. Seems the tablet is getting confused thinking it's charging rather than hooking usb.

Think I'm going to end up taking this thing back to Walmart for a refund and then getting the NX700QC16G. I have that one already and flashing it to the stock Nextbook rom that changed to full partition was a breeze and no frcking battery problems of any kind. Even though I have to settle for a smaller tablet, I'm leery now getting another NX785QC8G.

Comment

I just can't get the case apart.
        It separates right under the front bezel, but mine was really tough to get apart the first few times... It's difficult to do without bending the thin from bezel too...

I also can't flash the stock rom. When I try and get to the point of plugging in the USB from computer to tablet to initiate the firmware install with tablet off, instead of automatically installing firmware, the freaktab emblem comes up followed by picture of battery and then tablet turns back off again. Seems the tablet is getting confused thinking it's charging rather than hooking usb.
        I think you might be trying to flash the wrong ROM... you shouldn't be plugging it into the computer to flash it... the correct stock update from Nextbook should install with stock recovery... you put it on your external sd card, then you can either choose install rkimage from recovery, or if you boot into android it will find the update.img and ask if you want to install it...

Think I'm going to end up taking this thing back to Walmart for a refund and then getting the NX700QC16G. I have that one already and flashing it to the stock Nextbook rom that changed to full partition was a breeze and no frcking battery problems of any kind. Even though I have to settle for a smaller tablet, I'm leery now getting another NX785QC8G.
        I haven't played with the NX700QC16G, but I've got an RCA Pro 10 (RCA6204W46) which is also a MediaTek based tablet with a 16GB data/media file system layout. I'm really loving it, although it was a pain to root and not is not as easy to develop for...

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

I wish the Nextbook stock rom was a simple image that installed from SD card but it doesn't. Go to the Nextbook site and download the instructions to see for yourself. You have to use their flash tool, point it to the rom scatter txt in the downloaded rom folder, then in the tool hit download firmware, then hook usb to tablet with tablet off which will automatically start the firmware install. Then when it's done, start up tablet to complete the install. Installing the rom for the NX700QC16G is the same way.

Is it possible to take their rom and turn it into a rkimage?

Comment

IfIf you are trying to flash parts of the rom then you use the PC and place it in fastboot by plugging it into the PC powering off and holding the power and volume up bottom at the same time until the tablet boots then the screen goes dark. However the stock image is flashed by putting it on a regular microSD card and booting the tab into recovery and installing from there no pc required.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike89 View Post
              I wish the Nextbook stock rom installed from SD card but it doesn't. Go to the Nextbook site and download the instructions to see for yourself. You have to use their flash tool, point it to the rom scatter txt in the rom folder, then hit download firmware, then hook usb to tablet with tablet off to start the firmware install. Then when it's done, start up tablet to complete the install.
              Considering I've done it 10 or 20 times I can tell you it does work the way we have described. Exactly the way. The tool they supply only downloads the image supplied here in the forums and boots the tab into recovery after copying the file using adb push commands.

Edit: clarification. Make sure you are unzipping the stock rom and placing the update.img on the card not the zip file. Though you can use twrp to flash the zip if you still haveit installed.

Comment

I wish the Nextbook stock rom installed from SD card but it doesn't. Go to the Nextbook site and download the instructions to see for yourself. You have to use their flash tool, point it to the rom scatter image in the rom folder, then hit download firmware, then hook usb to tablet with tablet off to start the firmware install. Then when it's done, start up tablet to complete the install.
                Those are the instructions for the NX700.... That is how MediaTek tablets work...

That is not the correct firmware for the NX785QC8G.... The NX785QC8G is a RockChip tablet... they don't have scatter files... they update from stock firmware using an update.img format ROM...

P.S.> I just checked the Nextbook site and the instruction they posted are completely incorrect... the instructions are for a MediaTek based tablet and the NX785QC8G is not a MediaTek tablet... it is a RockChip tablet... I doubt that the firmware update is even compatible... I'm trying to download it, but it looks like it is going to take about 2 hours to download...

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                  Those are the instructions for the NX700.... That is how MediaTek tablets work...

That is not the correct firmware for the NX785QC8G.... The NX785QC8G is a RockChip tablet... they don't have scatter files... they update from stock firmware using an update.img format ROM...

P.S.> I just checked the Nextbook site and the instruction they posted are completely incorrect... the instructions are for a MediaTek based tablet and the NX785QC8G is not a MediaTek tablet... it is a RockChip tablet... I doubt that the firmware update is even compatible... I'm trying to download it, but it looks like it is going to take about 2 hours to download...

ShaunMT
                  I just noticed that firmware also says it is for a NX785QC16G not a NX785QC8G... it sounds like maybe they made a 16 gig model...which might be a MediaTek??? The firmware file says NX785QC8G_WM though...

Bottomline... the people at Nextbook have no idea what they are doing...

ShaunMT

P.S. > the firmware file currently available from Nextbook is NOT the same one that was previously available... and it does not appear to be a valid firmware for the NX785QC8G...
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Word. This being my second nextbook tab. Efun is a bit "special" in its tech support and documentation. And are not to be trusted until verified by experimentation or external sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Micheal View Post
                      Word. This being my second nextbook tab. Efun is a bit "special" in its tech support and documentation. And are not to be trusted until verified by experimentation or external sources.
                      They are also notorious for changing internal parts without changing product names, documentation or packaging... there could be two or more different versions of the tablet out there somewhere...

ShaunMT
                      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Crap you're right, I misread the 8G for the 16G. The downloaded rom even says 8G. What a bunch of wankers over there at Nextbook. No wonder it didn't work. Jeez. Fck me. So I guess there is no stock kitkat rom for this tablet. The reason I wanted to change back to it was I was thinking maybe the rooted rom somehow messed up the battery calibration or something as I didn't have that problem before I did it. But what the hell do I know, I've showed, not much.

This battery thing is really an issue now as I have to literally keep the charger plugged in all the time to keep it from consistently turning off when it drops below a 97% charge. So I either try to take the case apart to see if I can solve the battery issue and risk either breaking the case or marring it up to the point on not being able to return it or just take it back to Walmart for a refund (since I've only had it a couple of weeks). Hope they don't boot it up at Walmart and see the Freaktab start up image, heh heh.

Comment

Crap you're right, I misread the 8G for the 16G. The downloaded rom even says 8G. What a bunch of wankers over there at Nextbook. No wonder it didn't work. Jeez. Fck me. So I guess there is no stock kitkat rom for this tablet. The reason I wanted to change back to it was I was thinking maybe the rooted rom somehow messed up the battery calibration or something as I didn't have that problem before I did it. But what the hell do I know, I've showed, not much.

This battery thing is really an issue now as I have to literally keep the charger plugged in all the time to keep it from consistently turning off when it drops below a 97% charge. So I either try to take the case apart to see if I can solve the battery issue and risk either breaking the case or marring it up to the point on not being able to return it or just take it back to Walmart for a refund (since I've only had it a couple of weeks). Hope they don't boot it up at Walmart and see the Freaktab start up image, heh heh.
                          There was previously an official stock update that worked... I'm sure someone around here can provide a copy of it...

ShaunMT
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Return it as non working not holding a charge. Chances are they will just check to make sure it is therein the box and do an exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by Micheal View Post
                              Return it as non working not holding a charge. Chances are they will just check to make sure it is therein the box and do an exchange.
                              They might not even check the box...
                              Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I'm just going to ask for a refund. I don't even want this tablet anymore. Too many issues for me and what I've read with others having similar issues. I'd hate to get another one the same as this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X