R89-Hardware/Thermal/case issue feedback here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smokez View Post
    There is definately intermittent sound issues going on somewhere, this is via hdmi cable, tried multiple cables, 2 tv's and a monitor and issue exists throughout. Basically sometimes it boots without sound at all, other times sound will work ok and then it disappears once not used for a whike, reboot fixes it but not every time, sometimes it will take multiple reboots for sound to resume working, and then of course it can/will stop working again, will try gets some logs together in the morning
    Waiting your detail feedback..

R89 will communicate with TV via HDMI DDC bus,and TV return back the EDID(the TV supported feature,such as resolution,audio type....),then the BOX decides which resolution,audio,color depth,etc... to tv..

If they communicate to fail,then the BOX will output DVI,you can see it from LOG,that'll be no sound to come out.

Originally posted by 4WheelSpyder View Post
    Nice design - looks really good. I like the layout with frequently used 2 USB and micro CD card slots on the side. Nice ergonomics!

Good that the holes were added - small enough so that some small piece of metal cannot fall in but enough total surface area to prevent any build up of temperature

The only concern that I have is the really low profile of rubber pads on the bottom. If someone is going to place this unit on something that is not perfectly flat, like on a magazine, those bottom holes are going to be blocked. I would recommend those pads to be at least 3mm thick. Natural convection is very sensitive to airflow restrictions.
    Thank you,we've known that issue,but 3mm is too thick? it's not beautiful,I think.
    Easy way to catch LOG -> Search 'Syslog' in Google Play,then install it and catch log

Comment

Originally posted by oman View Post
      Waiting your detail feedback..

Thank you,we've known that issue,but 3mm is too thick? it's not beautiful,I think.
      Agree, if you use a pad with a square profile it will not look good, but a shaped profile similar to the pads under the Tronsmart Vega, just the elongated version to fit in the footprints of the R89 pads, should look pretty good.
      Last edited by 4WheelSpyder; 08-29-2014, 04:38.

Comment

I just had the time to try out the AV-Output

I don't know if I'm doing everything correctly (or have the right setup and cables), but there's something weird:

The R89 is connected to my old CRT TV using a cable like this:

Video and Audio do kind of work, but ONLY if I plug the cable halfway in. When I push it in completely, the signal gets completely distorted (diagonal tearing and weird colors, and a loud buzzing noise).

Halfway in:

Completely in:

Other than that, audio gives me only 1 channel (perhaps this is because it's not really plugged in?)
        It's set to PAL, according to my TV, of course

PS: Is there an way to (optionally) make it output 60hz? That could result in a better picture if I remember correctly from the GameCube days

Comment

Originally posted by Arbelzapf View Post
          I just had the time to try out the AV-Output

I don't know if I'm doing everything correctly (or have the right setup and cables), but there's something weird:

The R89 is connected to my old CRT TV using a cable like this:

There is a chance that the box pinout for the AV jack is not the one expected by your AV cable; I think no real standard exists and anyone can assume a certain pinout when manufacturing tricolor cables like these

Comment

Originally posted by raxy View Post
            There is a chance that the box pinout for the AV jack is not the one expected by your AV cable; I think no real standard exists and anyone can assume a certain pinout when manufacturing tricolor cables like these
            So that means I should switch around the 3 output cables to see if there's a working setup?

Comment

So that means I should switch around the 3 output cables to see if there's a working setup?
              Yup, it looks like the color coding of the RCA connectors on that cable does not meet the standard when connected to the R89

Comment

SD card slot

Yup, it looks like the color coding of the RCA connectors on that cable does not meet the standard when connected to the R89
                I also know this at other devices / cables...

The SD card slot and the reader don't really match together...
                The slit at the case seams to be a little bit to long at high so I lost my card in the case intsead of placing it into the reader (short stress moment)
                RK3288 Devices
                - Overview BOX (LINK !)
                - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
                Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

AW: R89-Hardware/Thermal/case issue feedback here

Alright I'm going to try that tomorrow. I set up a TVHeadend server tonight, so my old CRT might even see some usage in the future since it'll finally be able to receive TV signal.
                  (Although I should probably find another box with av out, it just would not feel right to connect such a powerhouse to an ancient CRT)

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post

The slit at the case seams to be a little bit to long at high so I lost my card in the case intsead of placing it into the reader (short stress moment)
                    Yes,that's not very matched..

it just would not feel right to connect such a powerhouse to an ancient CRT)

But still need to optimize..
                    Easy way to catch LOG -> Search 'Syslog' in Google Play,then install it and catch log

Comment

I did the same thing.
                      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Is it an issue or not...

... but the kernel doesn't determine the CPU temperature... always at 2°C... a really cool device...
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_sts_106k4.png
Views:	1
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	434572
                        RK3288 Devices
                        - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

thermal throttling?

Maybe it seams so, this kernel/SoC also know thermal throttling?
                          Because after ~15 minutes at 100% cpu usage, it begins to throttle, BUT we talk about "after ~15 minutes" and not about ~1 minute like the s802 AND not so often happens (also not after one more 10 minutes)
                          Unbelievable!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_st_106k4_1.png
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	434573 Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_st_106k4_2.png
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	434574

The case, especially at the bottom, gets really warm/hot.
                          At the middle of the second picture you can see what ?maybe? happens if I lift a little bit up the case: less thermal throttling
                          So I think you really should use more space to the surface (I place the box at a glass table)...

BTW:
                          At my stress tests at s802 (http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-Test-Scenario) I had the problem, if I switch between the apps, they may crash (e.g. 'StabilityTest (ROOT optional)' => classic test) or reset the GUI (e.g. 'System Tuner Pro' => monitoring) so I have to know how to handle it (at which moment switch to which app)...
                          BUT not at the RK3288 (ok, the curves may pause BUT no crashes)...
                          Last edited by no_spam_for_me; 08-31-2014, 10:27.
                          RK3288 Devices
                          - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

AV Cable

Found an AV cable in one of my "magic" boxes. I must have gotten it as part of a toy package. It is a really cheap one so some of the symptoms that I have found could be contributed to the "cheapness". Connecting it to a small portable LCD TV I did get a surprisingly good quality video - in 480i SD though. The initial connection was very noisy but it settled after a few seconds. However, what I have found is that unplugging the white audio cable from the TV unsettles the video and would sometimes affect the wifi in so much that the network connection is lost. Sound comes through perfectly with all three cables connected.

I measured the cable and all screens are inter-connected and all screens on the TV are also inter-connected, so it is not as if the video requires one of the screens on the audio cable, but due to the "cheapness" there may be intermittent connection which my measurements are not picking up .

The connections on the AV cable's 3.5mm connector are as follow: (as seen from the tip)

Red, White, Yellow, Screen

Hope this helps

Comment

Maybe it seams so, this kernel/SoC also know thermal throttling?

At the middle of the second picture you can see what ?maybe? happens if I lift a little bit up the case: less thermal throttling
                              Your findings confirm what I was expecting. The bottom of box is also a heat exchanger and having a very small air gap is the worst case scenario, - ie no conduction and minimal air flow for convection.

Comment

Built in microphone

For in case you are not aware of this feature. After opening the unit (only the two Philips screws at the back) I noticed the microphone in the cover. So I tested it with Ask Google, Sound recording and Skype, and it works nice and clear. Now just to populate the camera sensor that could go with it.
                                Last edited by 4WheelSpyder; 08-30-2014, 20:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X