polaroid ptab8000 8" ics tablet. got su, but cant get market on it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

polaroid ptab8000 8" ics tablet. got su, but cant get market on it

just bought my first tablet its an 8" inch Polaroid tablet from the Kohls store for:

$150 sale price
    -$30 discount
    -$20 "kohls kash"

i can confirm these steps work on the ptab8000 to get su/superuser.apk on it using joshendy/N4rps post/guide (thanks!) instructions located on post #17 at:

i tried installing the market using another guide somewhere around here for a different tablet.... it went through the google account setup but crashes trying to load the market.

i could use some help installing google play store or dumping the rom if you gurus would like
    im a newbie.... but adventurous
    that rom dumping thread was for RK chips only i believe.

thanks again

PTAB8000
    Android 4.0.3
    Kernel: 2.6.34 (carl-xiao@RD-SW-Server #286)
    Build: PTAB8000.V00.91.00.20120817

shell@android:/ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS : 155.64
    Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant : 0x2
    CPU part : 0xc09
    CPU revision : 4
    Hardware : AMLOGIC MESON3 8726M SKT SH
    Revision : 0020
    Serial : 000000000000000c

Originally posted by spamjunkie View Post
    just bought my first tablet its an 8" inch Polaroid tablet from the Kohls store for:

$150 sale price
    -$30 discount
    -$20 "kohls kash"

i can confirm these steps work on the ptab8000 to get su/superuser.apk on it using joshendy/N4rps post/guide (thanks!) instructions located on post #17 at:

i tried installing the market using another guide somewhere around here for a different tablet.... it went through the google account setup but crashes trying to load the market.

i could use some help installing google play store or dumping the rom if you gurus would like
    im a newbie.... but adventurous
    that rom dumping thread was for RK chips only i believe.

thanks again

PTAB8000
    Android 4.0.3
    Kernel: 2.6.34 (carl-xiao@RD-SW-Server #286)
    Build: PTAB8000.V00.91.00.20120817

shell@android:/ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
    BogoMIPS : 155.64
    Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
    CPU implementer : 0x41
    CPU architecture: 7
    CPU variant : 0x2
    CPU part : 0xc09
    CPU revision : 4
    Hardware : AMLOGIC MESON3 8726M SKT SH
    Revision : 0020
    Serial : 000000000000000c
    Did you try the alternate method of installing in post #1 here?

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...arket-and-more!
    https://public.bay.livefilestore.com...ion.png?psid=1

Comment

Originally posted by elektrik View Post
      Did you try the alternate method of installing in post #1 here?

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...arket-and-more!
      Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm in the same boat. I was also able to get root/su with the process referred to by the OP. I then attempted the first method in the link above, and was able to add a Google account, but the market will always exit immediately when I tried to run it.

I removed it and then attempted the alternate method. This time, I was not able to get past the point of adding my Google account - it kept saying that it was unable to establish a secure connection to Google's servers. (I did not use Root Explorer, but rather used ADB to remount the /system partition read-write and copy in the Vending.apk file).

Since I also have Android 4.0.3, I tried downloading a gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file (for Ice Cream Sandwich), but it does not contain the Vending.apk file, so I did not try to use it).

Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by bjgkat View Post
        Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm in the same boat. I was also able to get root/su with the process referred to by the OP. I then attempted the first method in the link above, and was able to add a Google account, but the market will always exit immediately when I tried to run it.

I removed it and then attempted the alternate method. This time, I was not able to get past the point of adding my Google account - it kept saying that it was unable to establish a secure connection to Google's servers. (I did not use Root Explorer, but rather used ADB to remount the /system partition read-write and copy in the Vending.apk file).

Since I also have Android 4.0.3, I tried downloading a gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip file (for Ice Cream Sandwich), but it does not contain the Vending.apk file, so I did not try to use it).

Any other ideas?
        I'd verify with root explorer to make sure it /system and /system/apps folders are set to r/w before I did anything else...

Comment

Originally posted by bjgkat View Post

Any other ideas?
          hijack away, dude, OP approved!

well i got the google play store/market to work before i seen these posts (though thanks for the reply eletrik) because im not sure what i did :/.... i tried several "alternate methods" and eventually beat the tablet into submission >:^D hehe
          i do know i used gapps-ics-20111230-signed... there was a Vending.apk in there

i also edited the build.prop to mimic the samsung galaxy, because after getting the market to work. it basically says the tablet is incompatible with everything

ro.product.model=SGH-T989
          ro.product.brand=samsung
          ro.product.name=SGH-T989
          ro.product.device=SGH-T989

ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

Comment

Successfully added GAPPS

hi guys,
            thank you first of all for all of the information out here. Lots of good stuff out here.
            Now a little background story, my girls received a Polaroid PTAB8000 tablet as a gift and they were so excited to start using it but to their dismay found out that they could not download apps from the google play store. Being the good daddy that I am (and having successfully worked with a couple of Samsung phones) I told them "no problem I can take car of it in a couple of hours". 1 sd card purchase and 4 days later I was about ready to throw it against the wall.
            By looking at this forum and doing quick searches, I think this model is not very popular and very few posts actually deal with it. Fortunately, I was able to piece together info from here and other posts to successfully install gapps (and the google store) successfully. So for here is what I did:
            1. downloaded the Market Fix from LiquidLimez here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...Uploaded-File) (thank you LL!!!)
            2. downloaded superuser.apk and su here: http://androidsu.com/superuser/
            3. in my PC, I unzipped all files and placed superuser.apk and su in the same root folder as Market Fix files
            4. using the SOME of the steps in the Dumping ROM forum (link: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...sing-ADB-guide and specifically the joshendy post, #17) I typed the following commands to get the ADB shell to give me a # prompt:
            • i) open a command prompt
            • ii) navigate to the folder where you dumped the files in step 3
            • iii)typed: c:\(dumpedfolder)> adb shell
            • iv) shell@android:/ $ mv /data/local/tmp /data/local/tmp.bak
            • v) shell@android:/ $ ln -s /data /data/local/tmp
            • vi) shell@android:/ $ exit
            • vii) C:\(dumpedfolder)> adb reboot (<---this will reboot the tablet, wait until screen is up)
            • viii) C:\(dumpedfolder)> adb wait-for-device
            • ix) C:\(dumpedfolder)> adb shell
            • x) shell@android:/ $ echo ro.kernel.qemu=1 >/data/local.prop
            • xi) shell@android:/ $ exit
            • xii) C:\(dumpedfolder)> adb reboot (<--this will reboot tablet again, this time the screen will not come on, wait about 60 seconds before continuing)
            • xiii) C:\(dumpedfolder)> adb wait-for-device
            • xiv) C:\(dumpedfolder)> adb remount (this should come up --> remount succeeded)
            • xv) C:\dumpedfolder)> adb push su /system/bin/su
            • xvi) C:\(dumpedfolder)> adb shell
            • You now should have a # prompt!!!
            ​5. type exit at the # prompt and it should take you to the c:\(dumpedfolder)> prompt
            6. type RunMe.bat and watch the screen as it should begin pushing the files to the tablet.
            7. follow the prompts and you are done!

thanks again to all of those whose post are mentioned here. Now if someone would help by figuring out how to create some good roms for these things.....

Comment

Originally posted by brujo123 View Post

thanks again to all of those whose post are mentioned here. Now if someone would help by figuring out how to create some good roms for these things.....
              PM me.

Comment

polaroid ptab8000 8&quot; ics tablet - Users Guide online? Questions

Wonder if someone can help me. Just bought my first tablet, the Polaroid ptab8000 8" ics tablet which I got on sale at Kohls. I was able to do several things, i.e got wifi connected to home network, and got on line. Two initial problems. 1) When I try to set up my e-mail, it says "Couldn't open connection to server." I use the MS e-mail live.com. 2) How do you get the keyboard to come up. When I was trying to set up e-mail, the keyboard came up automatically. But when I went to Facebook and wanted to sign in, no keyboard, and I could find no-where how to get the keyboard. Also, is there a more thorough User's Guide online than the fold-out instructions that come with the unit? Thanks for any help, Ray

Comment

screen is always 90 degrees off

Thanks to brujo123's guide I was able to install and run playstore on my new ptab8000. However, after the install the screen is always rotated an additional 90 degrees. I've factory reset and installed advanced tools to reset the accelerometer but did not manage fix the problem.

During the install process I had to force shutdown the tablet since it was hanging for a while, so I wonder if I corrupted some root files. My only hope is to flash the tablet with the stock rom, but can't seem to find one anywhere. If anyone has a copy of a stock rom or a working rom that I can use please let me know. I would hate to return this nice little tablet.

Thanks!

Comment

Stock Firmware

Originally posted by isy View Post
                    Thanks to brujo123's guide I was able to install and run playstore on my new ptab8000. However, after the install the screen is always rotated an additional 90 degrees. I've factory reset and installed advanced tools to reset the accelerometer but did not manage fix the problem.

During the install process I had to force shutdown the tablet since it was hanging for a while, so I wonder if I corrupted some root files. My only hope is to flash the tablet with the stock rom, but can't seem to find one anywhere. If anyone has a copy of a stock rom or a working rom that I can use please let me know. I would hate to return this nice little tablet.

Thanks!
                    I ran into this problem as well. I was able to find this link with the Polaroid firmware... http://southerntelecom.com/polaroids..._ptab8000.html
                    It was a very simple fix back to stock. I haven't tried rooting and adding the market again yet, but will here in just a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by HimdroidSC View Post
                      I ran into this problem as well. I was able to find this link with the Polaroid firmware... http://southerntelecom.com/polaroids..._ptab8000.html
                      It was a very simple fix back to stock. I haven't tried rooting and adding the market again yet, but will here in just a few minutes.
                      Thanks for sharing the link, I was able to restore and fix the rotation issue by adding a couple of configs from the stock build.prop file to the build.prop file in LiquidLimez's market fix.

Right after:
                      ro.opengles.version=131072

Add the following:
                      ro.sf.hwrotation=270
                      #0~7 You are required to get the correct install direction according the sensor placement on target board
                      ro.sf.gsensorposition=4
                      ro.sf.ecompassposition=4
                      allow_all_orientations=1

The only issue I have with the tab now is that the screen will not turn off in sleep mode. The default lock screen will always be displayed as a image. I've been trying different options in the build.prop file, but have been unsuccessful, not sure if anyone else have run into this problem.

Comment

Super Slow

So, I rooted, added the market fix, then added the changes to the build.prop file. when we loaded angry birds and fruit ninja, they both ran super slow! I checked RAM usage and found it to be at an acceptable level, but the lag just never went away. Eventually, we decided to reinstall the factory firmware so he would at least have an operable tablet. Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this issue?
                        Also, I am having the same issue with the sleep mode maintaing the unlock screen.

Comment

Originally posted by HimdroidSC View Post
                          So, I rooted, added the market fix, then added the changes to the build.prop file. when we loaded angry birds and fruit ninja, they both ran super slow! I checked RAM usage and found it to be at an acceptable level, but the lag just never went away. Eventually, we decided to reinstall the factory firmware so he would at least have an operable tablet. Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this issue?
                          Also, I am having the same issue with the sleep mode maintaing the unlock screen.
                          The lag is because the tab is in some weird rooted state. To remove that you need to start the adb shell and remove the /data/local.prop file, then restart the tablet I'm not sure if that'll also fix the unlock screen problem since I ended up using the stock build.prop file. But try it and let me know if it works for you. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by isy View Post
                            The lag is because the tab is in some weird rooted state. [...] I ended up using the stock build.prop file.
                            If the stock ROM is already rooted, then using that package is a bad idea - not least because it replaces your build.prop with one from another (possibly incompatible) system.

If this tablet is like the other Polaroids I've seen, it already has every file you need for get Google PlayStore except Vending.apk. If you know how to use ADB, then find that file, push it to /system/app, and you're done. (Just in case... be sure GoogleServicesFramework.apk is also in /system/app - if not, add it.)

Comment

It works! Thanks.

I got my polaroid ptab8000 from kohl's this Black Friday. After finding it unable to run google play and skype properly, I was very disappointed. Fortunately, I found this website and really appreciate everybody's information. Now my tablet works smoothly, and there are no problems running google play, skype, angry bird and ninja fruit.

The instructions that brujo123 and isy provided work. To avoid any possible issues, I factory reset my tablet before executing the steps provided by brujo123. After downloading the Market Fix (step 1), I used Notepad, an editor, to add the four instructions that isy provided in #11 to the file "/ICS/build.prop". After finishing all the other 6 steps, I reconnected the tablet with my PC in debugging mode and removed the file "/data/local.prop" using three additional instructions,

1) C:\(dumpedfolder)> adb shell

2) shell@android:/ # rm /data/local.prop
                              3) shell@android:/ # exit

The final step, as provided by isy, is to restart the tablet. And it's done! Everything works well so far in my tablet.

ps. The hyperlink that HimdroidSC provided is also very helpful, since I am totally new to the Android system and failed many times during the process. Whenever I failed, I used the hyperlink to get my tablet recovered. Thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X