X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to Stock Rom

I was trawling the internet tonight, and made a modest discovery:

The firmware for this box also runs on the Draco:

http://sunchip-tech.en.alibaba.com/product/60108957334-800571238/CX_A99_Allwinner_A80_Octa_core_4K_bluetooth_4_0_Sa ta_USB_3_0_SUNCHIP_TV_BOX.html

The factories seem to be sharing the same generic Kit-Kat build for the a80...After changing dpi, turning off libstagefright, and reducing brightness a tad, video playback is somewhat better than stock Draco.

Sunchip releases frequent updates which can be downloaded from Pan Baidu

百度网盘为您提供文件的网络备份、同步和分享服务。空间大、速度快、安全稳固,支持教育网加速,支持手机端。注册使用百度网盘即可享受免费存储空间

(Installs readily via the Phoenix Card method in my previous post.)

After running this for several hours, it still seems somewhat better than stock. Not dramatically better, but noticeably so. I tried 3 1080p videos in XBMC (TVMC) which previously played with evident micro-stutter, and all were more fluid. I think this build has a modified kernel. This Big Buck Bunny link, for example, plays very fluidly in full screen 1080p.

Last edited by Zahir; 12-12-2014, 13:49.

Yes, of cause it should work, because they are the pcb developer/designer...
    If you have a look at

you will find out that they nearly every day release a new version (search for A80)
    (also RKM rom )
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Originally posted by no_spam_for_me View Post
      Yes, of cause it should work, because they are the pcb developer/designer...
      If you have a look at

you will find out that they nearly every day release a new version (search for A80)
      (also RKM rom )

Thanks for that link. I see a couple of alternatives I should try. BTW, the first 1080p video I'm playing on the CX a99 firmware is running nice and smooth.

Comment

Thanks Zahir, i ll try asap and report back here.

Comment

I don't have time right now to mess with this but if you guys find a great version let me know and I will make a ROM from it.

Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
            I don't have time right now to mess with this but if you guys find a great version let me know and I will make a ROM from it.

Bob
            Bob, we think alike. I was just musing .."if only Bob had had this one at his disposal, we'd be there, pretty well. All that might be needed is to implement frequency switching."

Certainly, I'm finding it a very clear improvement in all-round video. Let's see what others find.

Comment

Originally posted by ergin View Post
              Thanks Zahir, i ll try asap and report back here.
              Your feedback awaited keenly.

In XBMC, try some "4k" videos in the YouTube addon, like "Shibuya" or the "Assassins Creed Parkour" They're not true 4k, of course, but they do show if streaming video playback is smooth to the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
                Your feedback awaited keenly.

In XBMC, try some "4k" videos in the YouTube addon, like "Shibuya" or the "Assassins Creed Parkour" They're not true 4k, of course, but they do show if streaming video playback is smooth to the eye.
                No matter what HD clip I try, they all play back 720, despite the Kodi YouTube addon being set to 1080 max.

Are any of you getting 1080p playback from YouTube?

Mark.
                Out: USB audio, HDMI
                In: Logitech K400 keyboards

Comment

Originally posted by fredphoesh View Post
                  No matter what HD clip I try, they all play back 720, despite the Kodi YouTube addon being set to 1080 max.

Are any of you getting 1080p playback from YouTube?

Mark.
                  No, the XBMC YouTube add-on only does 720p max. I've never seen it do 1080p on any rom or device. But there are excellent 1080 streams to be found in Navi-X, Entertainment hub etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahir View Post
                    I was trawling the internet tonight, and made a modest discovery:

The firmware for this box also runs on the Draco:

http://sunchip-tech.en.alibaba.com/product/60108957334-800571238/CX_A99_Allwinner_A80_Octa_core_4K_bluetooth_4_0_Sa ta_USB_3_0_SUNCHIP_TV_BOX.html

The factories seem to be sharing the same generic Kit-Kat build for the a80 - and this one may not differ significantly from Tronsmart's. I've only just installed it and haven't formed any precise impression of it. (I note network speeds are just as fast). After changing dpi, turning off libstagefright, and reducing brightness a tad, video playback may be somewhat better - but this could be the placebo effect, especially at 1.50 a.m....

For anyone who wants to try it along with me in the next day or so, I've uploaded the file here.

https://mega.co.nz/#!1FMEXbYY!7mGGeMOJt7bM_uOyDp_z8JTBJewr993nioN4FMK g9J8

(Installs readily via the Phoenix Card method in my previous post.)

Update: After running this for several hours, it's a keeper for me because it's smoother than the Draco. Maybe not dramatically, but noticeably. I tried 3 1080p videos in XBMC (TVMC) which previously played with evident micro-stutter, and all were more fluid. I think this build has a modified kernel. This Big Buck Bunny link, for example, plays very fluidly in full screen 1080p.

Yep - this one gets a clear thumbs up for my purposes.
                    Is this rom better than Bob's rom ?

Comment

1080p Debugs

Some debugs from three different 1080p test videos running in XBMC (TVMC). No drops, minor or no frame skips, playback smooth.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Which fw version do you use?

BTW: looking at your pictures I ask my self how you handle to run XBMC at a window and also what these symbols could be at your launcher... till I recognize that this is the frame of the monitor
                        RK3288 Devices
                        - Overview BOX (LINK !)

MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
                        Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
                        Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
                        Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

Comment

Which fw version do you use?

BTW: looking at your pictures I ask my self how you handle to run XBMC at a window and also what these symbols could be at your launcher... till I recognize that this is the frame of the monitor

Firmware is the CX A99 build I posted above.

Here's a debug from a 1080p stream from my NAS via XBMC:

Attached Files

Comment

OK, 20141028 and not one of the 2014120x for the e.g. CS Q8 like http://www.****.com/itm/Hot-Sale-CSQ...item4ae15706f1
                            RK3288 Devices
                            - Overview BOX (LINK !)

Comment

OK, 20141028 and not one of the 2014120x for the e.g. CS Q8 like http://www.****.com/itm/Hot-Sale-CSQ...item4ae15706f1
                              Yes, it's the first.

Although there's a link to the second (I think) at Pan Baidu, I couldn't get it to download..so no testing that until I find another link.

I'm much happier with the CX than I was with the stock rom.

Update: the second firmware you mention (CS Q8) does NOT work on our box. You can flash it via Phoenix Suite and it boots up but you can't access the app drawer (it closes as soon as you open it) and the remote isn't recognized.
                              Last edited by Zahir; 12-05-2014, 21:01.

Comment

Working...
                              X