No announcement yet.

new imito mk1 from amazon looks like a total fake === how do I check to be sure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is "iMito" even a registered brand name and what is the name of the real company that produces them? I can't find their website or any info on who actually makes it !

Coming from a manufacturing background I understand that in China manufacturing is a communal effort meaning larger factories contract their work out to other firms. The cigar industry in Cuba is the same, the same brand of cigar can be made at several factories, it doesn't mean they are fakes, but the quality is not the same from factory to factory.

From what I can see the manual soldering workmanship is horrible on all of them, look at the two point of solder on the HDMI connector and the WiFi wire, just blobs of solder not even properly wetted. Most of the time when I buy electronics, I have to take them all apart, deflux the whole PCB and retouch all the solder points to IPC-A610 Class 2 or Class 3 standards ! With the extensive use of BGA components such as the memory chips, these high volume low cost assemblies do not go through X-Ray to verifiy if all the balls have been properly wetted onto the PCB.
    Last edited by EdT; 02-25-2013, 00:55.

Comment

Originally posted by johnblagg View Post
      Just from looking at the marking alone the difference is apparent but when you start looking closer than that even more so,all memory chips are matching sets of the same manufacturer not to mention a reset button actually inside behind the hole where your supposed to insert a paper clip ect to do this .... I can just see Imito clones dying from people attempting a reset using a paper clip or needle and shorting out the board because there is noting there .

Components all appear to be of better quality in general and sturdier in construction .... Thank you Geekbuying ! cant wait for my quad core I ordered from you to get here now so I can load it with ubuntu and have a full fledged minicomputer running on solar power to build a project I am doing ...
      Different component brands used in an assembly is accepted practice in the Electronic Manufacturing Services. The designers/engineers will always authorize a list of 4-5 equivalent of the same components for the buyers to source. Most of the time the buyers will purchase the part that cost the least and move onto the next more expensive source if there is not enough for that production run.

Comment

I got my MX1 directly from China/Hong Kong, via a well known site which screens sellers. You can get the same item through an enormous number of sellers, it's up to you to choose, you order, but the point is you pay ONLY when you receive the item and it is the one you actually ordered. If not, you tell people at the website, and open a dispute to obtain a refund or an exchange. Shipping delays are pretty long because of customs, but I ordered 1 imito, watches (crappy automatic, but they work...), a wireless keyboard and received everything, and it was as advertised. No surprises. And the MX1 can be bought for 43$...

Comment

I bought an MX-1 from FastTech, it had the "R-BOX" logo at boot. No iMito logo on the case. Everything seems to work fine, with the exception of the available memory. It's partitioned as "internal storage - 504 MB and NAND Flash - 5.65 GB. I don't have an SD card in there at the moment.

I've written to FastTech, informing them of what I've found. I suppose I should just root it and put the Finless ROM on there, but I want to wait to hear from them first.

Comment

Working...
          X