Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low video performance on mk908 (jitters and stutter on HD videos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low video performance on mk908 (jitters and stutter on HD videos)

I just want to make sure this issue of video jitters is fixed in the next ROM either by http://www.rock-chips.com or http://www.tronsmart.com. There is no viable solution of reporting this issue to either one of them, except by http://www.geekbuying.com/ representative who is luckily active on this board.

This issue is as well on MK808 http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechfo...php?f=6&t=1732 , and as one of the members posted "This issue has been posted & repeat several times and none seems to be doing anything about it". Here is a sample of what you see from other member: http://goo.gl/9crvq

So far, other member found out that video will not have jitters so long he is moving his mouse during video run. I tried and he is right, but I can't imagine moving my mouse non stop while watching videos to be a viable solution to this problem. Taking all in to account- this is firmware/software issue. I am so sure in it, as I was able to play 3, I repeat 3 mp4 720p x264 videos at the same time (with floating video player) without hitch (except for jitters).

I am hoping that this post will somehow be provided by geekbuying representative or other reader, or maybe read, whatever, you name it, by someone who can fix this or have a solution. RK3188 SOC is amazing, and this issue should not be the one to ruin the experience for customers. Thank you!

Hi OP, i see your post.

I need a video to show the problem and then transfer that to factory, and explain the problem to them well.

and tell me which video do you use for test? which app do you use for play.

The more information, the better.

thanks
    Looking for developers
    http://freaktab.com/forum/advertiser...91j-smartphone

Comment

Originally posted by geekbuying View Post
      Hi OP, i see your post.
      I need a video to show the problem and then transfer that to factory, and explain the problem to them well.
      For example Google search "csi 720p x264" and download any episode. The scenes you see stuttering the most is when camera is standing still, while car is passing, or someone is walking through. You can as well see it when camera is >>slowly<< panning around or when actors move during conversation. It's like video is playing in wrong frame rate. Once you see it, rewind and play the scene while moving your mouse and you will see that frame stuttering is gone. That means its software problem, not hardware.

BTW, the reason why I didn't provide you with any trailer is that trailers are mostly full of fast action scenes and that's where you don't see stuttering as much.

and tell me which video do you use for test? which app do you use for play.

The more information, the better.
      thanks
      Use MX player and/or BSplayer. Thank you for working on fixing this. Let me know if you need more info.

Comment

I have confirmed the Netflix frame skipping thing which goes away while moving the mouse.

It took me a long time to see it myself! I had to find just the right area of a movie on Netflix to see the difference. It's not always noticeable.

Now.... I am going to try and see if I can solve it. It's an odd bug for sure.

Bob
        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
          I have confirmed the Netflix frame skipping thing which goes away while moving the mouse.

It took me a long time to see it myself! I had to find just the right area of a movie on Netflix to see the difference. It's not always noticeable.

Now.... I am going to try and see if I can solve it. It's an odd bug for sure.

Bob
          Thank you Bob :-)

Comment

Just watched over 3 hours of Netflix and Hulu with excellent picture quality

I can't say that I have noticed this problem.

Netflix and Hulu are working very well for me now on 4.1.1

The problem that I DO notice is the slow video performance of 1080P mp4 video. The video framerate is so slow that it de-syncs from the audio. It seems that there is trouble with the built-in video, because it doesn't matter which player I use, if the player is set to use the system hardware decoding, it can't play 1080P H.264 Mp4 fast enough. Of course any software decoding is even less capable.

Comment

Originally posted by fwupow View Post

The problem that I DO notice is the slow video performance of 1080P mp4 video. The video framerate is so slow that it de-syncs from the audio. It seems that there is trouble with the built-in video, because it doesn't matter which player I use, if the player is set to use the system hardware decoding, it can't play 1080P H.264 Mp4 fast enough. Of course any software decoding is even less capable.
              The funny thing is video performance is solid on the 4.2 ROM =\ I wish we could just take the files required for hardware deciding from that ROM and use them in the 4.1 because honestly who knows when tronsmaert will release a new firmware if ever

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysbless View Post
                The funny thing is video performance is solid on the 4.2 ROM =\ I wish we could just take the files required for hardware deciding from that ROM and use them in the 4.1 because honestly who knows when tronsmaert will release a new firmware if ever
                I have booted 4.2.2 T428 ROM on the 908 using the 908 kernel, and did get Wifi and BT working.

However, the way HDMI is controlled is different. The screen settings (HDMI settings) wont even show up in the settings menu so there is no way to change resolution and it defaults to 1280x720 not 1080 upscaled.

I am trying to crack that nut now but I will say it is NOT going to be easy. I have yet to find all the smali code in this area and it seems spread out in framework, policy, services.jar and settings.apk/settings provider.apk

Bob
                "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Hi

I spent lots time to search and download, but all failed

can you mirror that to dropbox or other place for me download?

thanks

Originally posted by peteus View Post
                  For example Google search "csi 720p x264" and download any episode. The scenes you see stuttering the most is when camera is standing still, while car is passing, or someone is walking through. You can as well see it when camera is >>slowly<< panning around or when actors move during conversation. It's like video is playing in wrong frame rate. Once you see it, rewind and play the scene while moving your mouse and you will see that frame stuttering is gone. That means its software problem, not hardware.

BTW, the reason why I didn't provide you with any trailer is that trailers are mostly full of fast action scenes and that's where you don't see stuttering as much.

Use MX player and/or BSplayer. Thank you for working on fixing this. Let me know if you need more info.
                  Looking for developers

Comment

Originally posted by fwupow View Post

This is not the same problem. Once it desyncs from audio and you see drop in framerate in action or complex scenes - its lacking on CPU/GPU power. However, I could play 3 720p mp4 x264 videos at the same time, and 1080p mp4 same x264 without problems except for jittering frames but they are constant. It's not like they appear in complex scenes, they are there even with 480p videos. So, what you have is some incorrectly encoded mp4 file or under-clocked CPU/GPU unit. May I ask for link to that file you are playing to check it out?

Comment

Hi

I spent lots time to search and download, but all failed

can you mirror that to dropbox or other place for me download?

thanks
                      Ok, here is the easy way. Download this app to device:

Start it and search (upper right corner) for "CSI 720p x264". Click and download one that has highest number of "S" (like I see one with over 3000. That one will download fastest, but it will take some time as it's about 1GB file. Click on it, it will ask you where to save it, so you know where video file will be once it's downloaded. After is downloaded, you can start it from within app or go to explorer, find it and start video file using any player to test it. You will watch without moving mouse and you will see frame jittering, then rewind and see the same scene while moving the mouse and there will be no jitter. Let me know if this worked for you.

Comment

Hi, i can't open this url:

it said
                        We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server.

Originally posted by peteus View Post
                        Ok, here is the easy way. Download this app to device:

Start it and search (upper right corner) for "CSI 720p x264". Click and download one that has highest number of "S" (like I see one with over 3000. That one will download fastest, but it will take some time as it's about 1GB file. Click on it, it will ask you where to save it, so you know where video file will be once it's downloaded. After is downloaded, you can start it from within app or go to explorer, find it and start video file using any player to test it. You will watch without moving mouse and you will see frame jittering, then rewind and see the same scene while moving the mouse and there will be no jitter. Let me know if this worked for you.
                        Looking for developers

Comment

Hi, i can't open this url:

it said
                          We're sorry, the requested URL was not found on this server.

Download trial apk version:

Comment

I actually find it quite unbelievable that geekbuying doesn't have video files of their own to test with. Its no wonder so many of their android sticks have problems on this front. Play ANY video for 5 seconds or longer on the 4.1 ROM and its very obvious that it jitters

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysbless View Post
                              I actually find it quite unbelievable that geekbuying doesn't have video files of their own to test with. Its no wonder so many of their android sticks have problems on this front. Play ANY video for 5 seconds or longer on the 4.1 ROM and its very obvious that it jitters
                              I know. Its actually not geeksbuying mistake, but Tronsmart's. It is quite unbelievable that someone who is making TV box can't get mp4 video files play right.
                              Last edited by peteus; 05-16-2013, 20:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X