Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did my MXQ Pro box and it worked like a charm. After initial "Failed" notifications, I changed my SD card to a smaller on (32GB) and made sure it was formatted in FAT32, and VOILA! Big props to Finless. I owe you a cold BEER!

Comment

Recently got an OTT MXQ Pro (S905 ??) box and want to properly root it before doing anything else.

I posted here hoping for some guidance=>

And then I found this thread so I tried rooting by both methods mentioned.

Neither has worked - both give identical results no matter if I use a small capacity SD card or a larger one.

It just gives the recovery screen with the broken Android symbol and a whole long bunch of 'no such file or directory' errors.

Once I manually reboot it, it is still not rooted according to the root checker app.

I hope someone here will help me to get this rooted, please ?!?

Thanks.

Comment

Hello smith2, For review....
        1.) Extract(unzip) Finless' file to the SD card, If I remember, this will leave three files on the SD card.
        2.) Boot the box to Android, open the Update and Backup app. Under the Local selection area, click select, you will see ezroot.zip, select it and click update. The box will reboot.

Once the box reboots, you should be rooted.
        Hope it helps

Comment

Thanks for replying RISCy Dude.
          I did exactly that - with 2 different cards - same lack of success.

Also found your instructions for doing it via terminal and tried that 2x - same things.

I don't know why it won't work, but do have desired apps which require rooting.

Thinking of just returning this box & getting one that is confirmed root capable in its description...link posted is where this came from & some say it came rooted, others...not rooted.

Thanks.
          Buy TICTID MXQ Pro TV Box Android Amlogic S905 Chipset Kodi 15.2 Full Loaded Android 5.1 Lollipop Quad Core 1G/8G 4K Google Streaming Media Players OS with WiFi HDMI DLNA: Streaming Media Players - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Comment

It should be known that I do not own this box(device you link to). The Amazon link you posted, says S905.
            It sounds like it is rebooting to the stock recovery, which won't work for ezroot. I cannot tell you why that is happening. However, the card slots in some of these devices are very finicky when booting. Some suggestions, but of course, disregard any you have already tried.
            Things to try,...
            No SD card adapters. 8GB or less. No other files or directories on the card. Have you tried a flash drive? If you try it in a card reader or flash drive, try all USB ports available.
            Good luck.

Comment

Hi people!!

can I use a USB key or we really need a SDcard to make it work?
              thanks

Comment

Hello SuperDub, Welcome to Freaktab.
                The Update and Backup app can do both, so I think ezroot will too. I have not done it from key, but it should work.

Comment

I'm facing flashing error with error message as screenshot below

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_16922.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	577991

Last edited by A1ucard; 06-10-2016, 01:59.

Comment

Hello A1ucard, It looks like the box's stock recovery is running, that won't do for ezroot. Did you use the Update and Backup app and select ezroot.zip?

Comment

Originally posted by RISCy Dude View Post
                      Hello A1ucard, It looks like the box's stock recovery is running, that won't do for ezroot. Did you use the Update and Backup app and select ezroot.zip?

Thank for your replied. However, I have fixed the issue with formatting the SD Card to FAT32. The failure is due to my SD Card in NTFS format. Therefore, S95 not able to write into it.

Comment

Glad you got it going.

Comment

Hello folks,

I tried using this on a less supported box, (model is MXV, which is a S905 / 2GB ram / 8GB box on 5.1.1 with basically the same interace as a mxq) but this method doesn't work for me...

I think it boots the custom recovery correctly (as it got past the security check) but fails to mount / format cache and therefore aborts...

Any idea what I can try next? I have a 32 gb toshiba card that is fat32, with no other files on it except the lost.dir and Android folder automatically created.

I don't have any spare sd for the moment, but my next move is to buy a 4 or 8GB card and try again. thanks if you have any hint!

Comment

You guys think this will work on a Zoomtak T8H s905 box?

It's been a long time since I've messed around with Android. Have been using OpenELEC Linux for a couple years now.

If I'm able to get my box rooted. Will I be able to use programs like cyberduck to ssh into the box? Would the login details be Root / Admin?

Thanks

Comment

Give it a go should work for you
                              Cheers
                              treboR
                              Please consider
                              Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
                                Give it a go should work for you
                                Cheers
                                I think it worked. Android guy came up and said installing update. Box rebooted and installed a some apps. How would I know it's rooted now? And can't seem to get ssh access with cyber duck. I'm using username: root and password: admin

Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                                X