Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Linux From SD Card or USB Flash Drive - Using Balbes150 Method And Files.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nofan Tasi View Post

I may need to wait longer to see Armbian come up when screen flashes.
    I had once flashed aml_autoscript.zip and aml_autoscript found in directory universal-multiboot-s905-v_0.6, they have md5sum 32d2010c60d2c0ee69bd173e8d52030f f6aa66e5c790494fd4a6c936f1dc9c29.
    Now I spot another directory Universal_version with same 2 files but also a file update_u-boot_20160907.img.xz. Am I supposed to flash universal multi-boot again having that file on sdcard?
    I am sorry for the n00b questions but I am still not sure what flashing/activating universal multi-boot really does.
    In the last Armbian images (and my images LE), there are already two files to activate universal multi-boot. Enough to capture the image and you can enable the multiboot with their use.

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post

In the last Armbian images (and my images LE), there are already two files to activate universal multi-boot. Enough to capture the image and you can enable the multiboot with their use.
      Thanks Balbes

The Debian_jessie and Ubuntu_xenial images have the universal boot
      files indeed. So I flashed (dd-ed) 5.24 s905x Ubuntu_xenial 3.14.29
      desktop 20161028 image and added gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb which is the
      kszaq LE device tree for my Mini MX-G, renamed to dtb.img.

- I toothpick booted and friendly bear logo flashed on-off every 1/2 second
      I kept this going for 5 minutes
      - I released toothpick and friendly bear logo appeared steady.
      After a minute or so screen went black and showed 'no connection'
      - I unplugged and replugged HDMI, screen stayed black.
      After a minute or so friendly bear logo appeared steady again
      and
      After a minute or so screen went black again and showed 'no connection'

So I considered this end of story for now...

Next I will retry 5.21 s905 Debian_jessie 3.14.79 desktop 20161010
      image once again. It has worked previously (but showed green in stead
      of black).

have a nice day

Comment

No need to hold the button down with a toothpick. Logo appears - release the button. There will be an automatic restart. The process of starting Armbian not fast. On the monitor there is an inscription about absence of a signal (the screen will not no for about 2-3 minutes), that's fine. You need to wait until the systems starts. If for 5-6 minutes on the monitor does not appear any image, you can disable and try to enable again (the toothpick use is no longer required).

Comment

Just tried out both:
          Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_desktop_20161028.img
          Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_desktop_20161028.img

On my Beelink MiniMXIII (flashed with the Minix U1 port, TWRP recovery)

Used Rufus to copy the image onto SD card, used the dtb.img file from the LibreELEC project.
          Used the stock Update&Backup app to force booting from the SD card.

Boots up instantaneously.

The picture with Ubuntu Xenial gets all scrambled but only on the 2nd boot.
          Couldn't use the Terminal on Debian - couldn't see what I was typing in! =D
          No working WiFi with either system (RTL 8723BS)
          Bluetooth shows up though.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0U?usp=sharing

There's obviously still some kinks to iron out but I'm very impressed with what's working so far!
          Last edited by mwnn; 10-30-2016, 18:27.

Comment

Here you can read how to circumvent some of the problems.

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/t...d-s905x/page-8

Still useful information for users. If the internal memory of the TV set-top box on the basis of S905 installed version is 007 or 008 (which use the new dtb format) , you can use the latest images (20161030) without manually copying dtb to the root FAT partition . Need dtb data is taken automatically from the internal memory. Ie, immediately after recording the image, it is possible to use a TV box without additional manual operations to copy the dtb file (same as version S905X).

Comment

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post
              No need to hold the button down with a toothpick. Logo appears - release the button. There will be an automatic restart. The process of starting Armbian not fast. On the monitor there is an inscription about absence of a signal (the screen will not no for about 2-3 minutes), that's fine. You need to wait until the systems starts. If for 5-6 minutes on the monitor does not appear any image, you can disable and try to enable again (the toothpick use is no longer required).
              Thanks for the hint about the toothpick practice. I could boot Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Debian_jessie_3.14.29_desktop_20161028 now. And colors are OK this time.
              I have subscribed to Armbian forum where I may become active about this amazing project.

Comment

Hi guys i'm trying to run Armbian_5.24_Amlogic-s905x_Ubuntu_xenial_3.14.29_desktop_20161028.img on my mini m8s but when i run the device, it shows only this logo:

I tried to reset device 4-5 times after 5 minutes but nothing happened. I'm using Rufus to write the img into sd card.

Comment

You need to pick up a working dtb file. Which system installed on the internal memory ?

Comment

I found the reason for the bad behavior of desktop latest desktop images. As a temporary solution - to disable the use of the package nodm to start the graphics. To do this, open the configuration file /etc/default/nodm and replace in the first line the value "true" to "false" . To run charts - after starting the system to enter the console username and password, after login give the command "startx". This method can be used on all previous images, where after starting the graphics screen becomes too dark.

Comment

More good news, checked now in Ubuntu playback of normal video. If you do not change the scale of the image is reproduced smoothly. Debian - this video clip is playable slides. Although the sound is played correctly.

Comment

Hi balbes150,
                        I refer to your init boot file. I would like to change the SD card boot from the FLASH boot.
                        What pains me is that it's harder than I thought. Can you provide some advice?

Comment

Describe in detail what You want to do.

Comment

The original program to start a native linux system.
                            Use the following methods to switch the root system.
                            //------(Boot from flash)
                            /bin/mount -t devtmpfs devtmpfs /mnt/dev
                            exec 0</mnt/dev/console
                            exec 1>/mnt/dev/console
                            exec 2>/mnt/dev/console
                            exec switch_root -c /dev/console /mnt "${init}"
                            //------

Refer to your init file.
                            //-------(Boot from SD card)
                            exec run-init ${drop_caps} ${rootmnt} ${init} "$@" ${recovery:+--startup-event=recovery} <${rootmnt}/dev/console >${rootmnt}/dev/console 2>&1
                            //-------

"switch_root" and "run-init", Is it the same function?
                            I do not know enough.
                            I try to use your init file to make changes.

//-------(change)
                            exec run-init
                            -> exec switch_root

example:
                            switch_root -c /dev/console /system /sbin/init
                            //-------
                            Get the error:
                            switch_root: can't execute '/sbin/init': Exec format error

Comment

Updated desktop images. Removed from the composition package "nodm". The order of use without package nodm. After creating a new user, exit from the root user (exit command, or you can reboot with reboot command) and authorization on behalf of the new user. After login give startx.

Comment

Originally posted by gto View Post
                                The original program to start a native linux system.
                                Use the following methods to switch the root system.
                                //------(Boot from flash)
                                /bin/mount -t devtmpfs devtmpfs /mnt/dev
                                exec 0</mnt/dev/console
                                exec 1>/mnt/dev/console
                                exec 2>/mnt/dev/console
                                exec switch_root -c /dev/console /mnt "${init}"
                                //------

Refer to your init file.
                                //-------(Boot from SD card)
                                exec run-init ${drop_caps} ${rootmnt} ${init} "$@" ${recovery:+--startup-event=recovery} <${rootmnt}/dev/console >${rootmnt}/dev/console 2>&1
                                //-------

"switch_root" and "run-init", Is it the same function?
                                I do not know enough.
                                I try to use your init file to make changes.

//-------(change)
                                exec run-init
                                -> exec switch_root

example:
                                switch_root -c /dev/console /system /sbin/init
                                //-------
                                Get the error:
                                switch_root: can't execute '/sbin/init': Exec format error
                                It's different functions. Please specify which images you use and forge the goal you want to achieve.

Comment

Working...
                                X