Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running Linux From SD Card or USB Flash Drive - Using Balbes150 Method And Files.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by balbes150 View Post
    To build the kernel, you can use the console version of the image. It is lighter and consumes less resources. So I recommend to try to use the updated scripts autostart system (s905_autoscript) for a screen resolution of 720. They are uploaded to the site.

Pay attention to these image Linux is not designed for multimedia.
    Thanks for the Reply,
    I use Armbian_5.20_Vegas95_Debian_jessie_3.14.79_desktop _20160921.img , it work like a charm...
    and for now i connect using USB Wifi stick (TPLink WN321G)....

But i have problem with Firefox ESR, it's keep close and when i open in terminal, i have segmentation fault.
    I need Firefox to run webs apps...
    I have try to install Iceweasel (firefox clone), but i can not do that....

So... for watching Movie, i need to using LibreELEC.....
    Android TV Box - Mini M8S (Amlogic S905) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Arm64 - 3.14.29 with VLC (X11 Accelerated XCB), Kodi Odrobian Fbdev 16.1 (VPU Accelerated), X.org 7.7 plus Mali Fbdev 20160315-r5p1

Comment

Firefox need to rebuild under ARMv8. I still use midori for the web. There are other browsers.

Comment

Firefox need to rebuild under ARMv8. I still use midori for the web. There are other browsers.
        so that the problem.... do i need to compile it from the source in debian repository?
        the deafult browser have problem too.
        i need to use Firefox or Iceweasel for Imacros addons.

btw, what about Armbian mali video acceleration ?

edit: i have try Midori, install it with apt-get install midori
        i open freaktab forum, when it load the page, around 80%, Midori hang....
        Last edited by sukanime; 09-26-2016, 16:30.
        Android TV Box - Mini M8S (Amlogic S905) - Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Arm64 - 3.14.29 with VLC (X11 Accelerated XCB), Kodi Odrobian Fbdev 16.1 (VPU Accelerated), X.org 7.7 plus Mali Fbdev 20160315-r5p1

Comment

To build the kernel, you can use the console version of the image. It is lighter and consumes less resources. So I recommend to try to use the updated scripts autostart system (s905_autoscript) for a screen resolution of 720. They are uploaded to the site.

Pay attention to these image Linux is not designed for multimedia.
          Thanks but I did not mean to build the console version, my question was if I can do the build process in a console (ctrl-alt-2) because I can't see any text in a terminal on the graphic desktop. What repo should I clone and what modules do I need?

Comment

Originally posted by Reddwarf View Post
            Thanks but I did not mean to build the console version, my question was if I can do the build process in a console (ctrl-alt-2) because I can't see any text in a terminal on the graphic desktop. What repo should I clone and what modules do I need?
            i thinks, balbes want you to use Armbian images without console ( the images name is Armbian_5.20_Vegas95_Debian_jessie_3.14.79_2016092 6.img.xz ) to build the kernel.
            than you can use the builded kernel with Armbian Desktop version.

btw, have you try this http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...d-x-on-sdcard/
            it have Kodi with Accelerated harware, mali acceleration, etc

Comment

Originally posted by sukanime View Post

i thinks, balbes want you to use Armbian images without console ( the images name is Armbian_5.20_Vegas95_Debian_jessie_3.14.79_2016092 6.img.xz ) to build the kernel.
              than you can use the builded kernel with Armbian Desktop version.

btw, have you try this http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...d-x-on-sdcard/
              it have Kodi with Accelerated harware, mali acceleration, etc
              Yeah, I tried this http://koxx3.mooo.com:8086/minimx_ubuntu_1.zip which is version 2, kodi crashes and I get no HW acceleration. I think it is build for the Mini MX with the 805 cpu, but mine is the Mini MX-III with S905 cpu and a Mali 450 GPU.

Comment

omg... i remember Koxx using Mini MX with S905, as stated in the thread name "MiniMX S905 - Ubuntu 16.04 64bits (with kodi and X) on sdcard"
                Mini MX-III use S905X,
                but, Koxx ordered Mini MX-III and will try it when he get the Mini MX-III

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by sukanime View Post

omg... i remember Koxx using Mini MX with S905, as stated in the thread name "MiniMX S905 - Ubuntu 16.04 64bits (with kodi and X) on sdcard"
                  Mini MX-III use S905X,
                  but, Koxx ordered Mini MX-III and will try it when he get the Mini MX-III

Thanks for the reply.
                  Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that thread too

Comment

Originally posted by Reddwarf View Post

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that thread too
                    Your welcome, perhaps you should see this post too -> http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...327#post598327
                    and this one too -> http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...oot-for-ubuntu
                    he have S905X based Box, and after kompile the kernel for S905X, the Box running very good.

Comment

I'd like to buy a S905 box to run Debian with some premade Kernel unless I can figure out what's needed to compile my own. Debian, not some Armbian or whatever else but Debian armhf.for things like a bit of php, irssi, cyrus imapd.
                      The cheapest 2GB box seems to be a Sunvell T95M around here (40€, **** Germany) for which there is no direct support yet. I already downloaded a T95M 2GB Firmware T95m-2G-8723-160516.rar and extracted the DTB from it..

Does this sound doable or are there any pitfalls I haven't thought of? Are there any better or cheaper boxes? From what I've seen the S905X is slower, right? And there is no box that has more RAM or is faster around this pricepoint for Linux?

Comment

I have a T95M 1GB that works fine with the Armbian Balbes made. Since you extracted your DTB that is all you need. These should work on any s905 as long as you have the correct DTB.

These boxes are amazing for the price. Nothing will come close as long as you understand it isn't a powerhouse.

Comment

Like You with the Russian language, will be able to understand the information on it ? Since, in computer translation often changes the meaning of the original information and it is difficult to convey the necessary information.
                          Well I went in another direction. Ubuntu was just too big and bloaty in terms of disk footprint and ram overhead. I ended up creating my own cut down linux based off the Amlogic dev kit.

If you want to play with linux on the A95X or any other S905X device I have setup an easy build system to build the kernel image, boot.img, dtb.img, rootfs and an updated uboot bootloader.

The git repo contains vanilla src, aml_p212 patches, amlogic dev kit, toolchains to build aarch64 on x86, build system, clean buildroot. Kernel is also android compat

Ive posted it up to github:

I will get round to building some TWRP flashable zips when i get the chance

Comment

Hi Balbes,

After playing with Armbian Debian Jessie, i decided not to use it, because i cannot using Firefox.
                            Right now i'am using ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img. with minimx ubuntu, with this combination -> http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...145#post600145
                            Now, i can have stable Firefox.

Please , could you share Kernel Source 3.14.65-61 for ubuntu_multi_dtb_v3_20160625.img , i want to build wifi module driver rtl8723bs.

Thanks....

edit:
                            balbes150 have answer my question in here http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...166#post600166
                            Last edited by sukanime; 09-29-2016, 07:07. Reason: telling its have answer

Comment

Since S905X just came up: the S950X is slightly slower, even when it's the same type of core at the same speed, right? It only has better HDR and SPDIF out, but the CPU itself is slower?

Comment

Originally posted by nervosbelli View Post
                                Since S905X just came up: the S950X is slightly slower, even when it's the same type of core at the same speed, right? It only has better HDR and SPDIF out, but the CPU itself is slower?
                                yup, S905 have 2Ghz speed, but S905X only 1,5Ghz
                                thats why last week, i buy Mini M8S.

Edit:
                                After read this post http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=23044 , SoC Amlogic S900 series (S905, S905X, S90H and S912) only have 1,5Ghz clock speed...
                                Last edited by sukanime; 10-02-2016, 19:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X