Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

****OFFICIAL Polaroid PMID701c THREAD! root, market, and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I bricked???

Hello all I rooted fine, installed the market and all fine but today I was getting alot of framework quit force close messages so I figured I would go in and install the framework that was in the gapps package it installed fine said all was well and 30 seconds later shut off now when i try to start it just sticks on the Polaroid logo and i tried the reset on the back with no resualts and it will power on and off with power button but never makes it past the polaroid logo Can anyone help i was loving this thing

Comment

Might be getting into flash teritory

Originally posted by nism240sx View Post
      Hello all I rooted fine, installed the market and all fine but today I was getting alot of framework quit force close messages so I figured I would go in and install the framework that was in the gapps package it installed fine said all was well and 30 seconds later shut off now when i try to start it just sticks on the Polaroid logo and i tried the reset on the back with no resualts and it will power on and off with power button but never makes it past the polaroid logo Can anyone help i was loving this thing
      You can keep playing, and others may have suggestions for you yet, but you may be getting into flash teritory.
      If you had used the clockwork recovery procedures and installed KK Rom Kit and made a backup you can get it back to at least near stock by flashing the Onda Gingerbread 2.0.5, then reloading the KK ROM Kit, copy back the backups to the flash drive and then run clockwork to refash the original. I have found the Onda ROM's overall to be a bit faster on the benchmarks I have run. They do have some issues with the stock Chinese characters still popping in from time to time. I have reduced that by playing with the settings button on the bottom right of the keyboard, but there seem to be some changes I cant make.
      You can see more about it on the flash Onda firmware sticky:

Note : if you have other issues, go ahead and open a new post so we can help you there.

Comment

exchanged

Thank you for the help but I took it to the big lots next to my work and they exchanged out no questions asked I love that place lol

Comment

great job

just wanted to say thank to everyone that is working on this. i only made a decision to purchase one of these after reading this forum. i have sucessfully installed the google play market and is working great. as far as netflix i just had to get an olderbversion and it works great with newest flash player installe and no need to use the cpu control to set the minimum speed. i the idle phone does not show on my battery stats anymore. i think i have achieved maximum performance and battery life that you could ask for for $99. i only have one issue and that is with the airplane mode/wifi app. after installing it to try ot it. i shortly got rid of it only because i was trying to get rid of the signal indicator and all it really does is replace it with a little airplane for flight mode. after uninstalling it the wifi did not work anymore. luckily i did i backup with titanium backup and was able to restore it. but now after sitting idle for a bit if you try to use the wifi it doesnt seem to reconnect like it used to. the wifi settings show that it is connected but does not respond if you try to use an internet app. in ordernto make it work i have to turn wifi off and back on again to reconnect. in addition the signal indicator is no longer colored green it just stays white. does any one know what is causing this . any information would be great

on another subject is there a way to access the contacts app and the calendar as on my acer iconia running honeycomb

Comment

Root Temp or Permanent?

Just picked one of these up the other day. For the most part I am happy with the PMID701c. I have read various forums and info on this device and seems to be a couple different methods of rooting this device. One is the use of SuperOneClick, which I can not get to work on XP or Vista Machine. The other is manually setting System folder to RW. My question is, some people are claiming this method is temp till unit is powered down and when rom is read on bootup system folder returns to RO which can brick device. So what is the best way to permanently persistent root this device?

Thanks for all the great info guys!
            Magna

Comment

Originally posted by sabercatpuck View Post
              I just went through the N4RPS method just fine. Just have to follow along step by step. The only real problem I had was downloading some adware off of qfpost accidentally.
              You can find a couple links to Gapps here:

Then I installed Gmail so I could set up my account this way my paid apps transfer over:
              hello, i was wondering if anyone could post or pm me the stock gmail.apk, i accidentally erased it without backing it up and i cant find it anywhere

I also had a copy of the new market that you can get here and install afterwards:
              This Market is for people with 480x800+ devices that weren't properly rendering the new market. APK is attached. Works great on Nexus S and Vibrant. It may work on 2.1 and 1.6 but I haven't tried. Install like a normal apk.

The other thing you need to remember doing it this way is the locations
              for the SD card it is:
              /mnt/sdcard
              I had just copied over the whole folder so that goes in as :
              /mnt/sdcard/gapps-gb-20110828-signed/system/app
              At step 6 he mentions changing the permissions, ths is a small box right tward the top of the screen
              Then when he is talking about changing the permissions he shows it like it works out. If you need an example try long clicking on the settings.apk just above and check how it is set up
              Help I got to step 6,7 and tried to paste in the systems/ apps folder and got an error message saying it was read only. i downloaded the root explorer v2.19 from the link....am i missing something?

Comment

look up

when you start up root explorer you will see a little grey box at the top of the screen that says mount r/w. push that and it will allow you to make changes. while you are there go ahead and long press on the init.sun4i.rc file and choose open in text editor. go to the bottom and you will see 2 mount commands. change the ro to rw in both lines and save by hitting the menu button in the upper right corner. i cant remember if it locks up at this point, if it does you can hit the power button for about 30 seconds to power off, if not just power off and on like normal. at this point you have full system root.

Comment

Perfect, got Google Play working. Nice Tablet for the price.

when you start up root explorer you will see a little grey box at the top of the screen that says mount r/w. push that and it will allow you to make changes. while you are there go ahead and long press on the init.sun4i.rc file and choose open in text editor. go to the bottom and you will see 2 mount commands. change the ro to rw in both lines and save by hitting the menu button in the upper right corner. i cant remember if it locks up at this point, if it does you can hit the power button for about 30 seconds to power off, if not just power off and on like normal. at this point you have full system root.

Comment

I may have just missed it but...

If I am looking to do the N4RPS market method, where can I find the files from the previous install of google market to delete. I did the first market install that you guys came up with but I'd like the full GPlay market.
                    Thanks.
                    B

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                      Hello!

That is correct. It seems to stay if you reset with the RESET button, but if you power off, it reverts back to the value in boot.img.

73 DE N4RPS
                      Rob
                      I think that's what's happening for mine. Whenever I shutdown the tablet and start it back up again, all settings and apps I have downloaded are gone. Is there something I need to do with boot.img?

Comment

Originally posted by guevarragv View Post
                        I think that's what's happening for mine. Whenever I shutdown the tablet and start it back up again, all settings and apps I have downloaded are gone. Is there something I need to do with boot.img?
                        You must take boot.img and mount it in linux. Make your changes and then unmount it. Then you need to flash the new boot.img as part of a ROM flash. Now the changes will be permanent every boot.

Bob
                        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Bluetooth and/or USB Keyboards

I bought one of these tablets after seeing this thread about it, and have had no problems getting it set up the way I want it.

Has anyone determined if the USB port is a host port or just a client port? Has anyone tried connecting a USB keyboard to the USB port? How about a USB Bluetooth adapter to the USB port?

I'm going to experiment with this myself, but it would be nice to find out what other people have done.

jwehlitz

Comment

Originally posted by pitsboi View Post
                            I've been lurking since b4 I dropped a hundred on this tab. You guys have been quite helpful.

My first of many questions may have been covered, but I'll ask forgiveness instead of permission and pose the question anyway...

I installed the "old icon market" and am interested in removing it and going with N4RPS's updated market. Should I uninstall the .apk's that I used to install market? or should I just install updated google play via N4RPS's instructions?

Thanks again for all you have done so far.
                            Hello!

What I recommended was done before Finless Bob released the latest versions of the Google apps. Recently, Google changed the way some things about how Android Market works, as a result of its transition to Google Play.

Given the advancements made since then, I would download HIS installer, dissolve the. zip to get all the needed files, and copy THOSE to your tablet. Bob's installer also removes three files.

I can't vouch for anyone else's experience, but full root/Superuser didn't seem to work for me until after I had installed KKROMKit and ClockworkRecoveryMod.

I'm vacationing this week, but the minute I get a chance, I will rewrite what I did to reflect the latest files and submit it to artistlogic so he can update the sticky.

73 DE N4RPS/3
                            Rob
                            Last edited by N4RPS; 04-23-2012, 20:49.

Comment

You can keep playing, and others may have suggestions for you yet, but you may be getting into flash teritory.
                              If you had used the clockwork recovery procedures and installed KK Rom Kit and made a backup you can get it back to at least near stock by flashing the Onda Gingerbread 2.0.5, then reloading the KK ROM Kit, copy back the backups to the flash drive and then run clockwork to refash the original. I have found the Onda ROM's overall to be a bit faster on the benchmarks I have run. They do have some issues with the stock Chinese characters still popping in from time to time. I have reduced that by playing with the settings button on the bottom right of the keyboard, but there seem to be some changes I cant make.
                              You can see more about it on the flash Onda firmware sticky:

Note : if you have other issues, go ahead and open a new post so we can help you there.

Hello!

I'm starting to feel a little guilty about people doing what I currently have posted in the sticky and having it to cause people problems.

You folks do what you want, but I think I'll sit tight with a stock ROM until we have a ROM that is an exact duplicate to the stock ROM. IMHO, given some of the issues currently manifesting themselves with the Onda ROM, I would rather not use it unless I have to.

73 DE N4RPS/3
                              Rob

Comment

We are basically there

Shawn has about as close to an exact duplicate of the stock ROM as we are going to get. I imagine even when the official Polaroid ROM gets released it will still not be as exact as Shawn's is now since I am sure there will be other changes made.
                                The biggest reason I got the Onda's out there was because there were several people that needed them so I certainly understand what you are saying Rob.

Matthew

Comment

Working...
                                X