Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mecool M8S PRO L Blue Tooth Voice Control 3/32GB Amlogic S912 A7.1 YT 4K Netflix HD Dual WiFi BT4.1 100Mbps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is voice control tied in with the Mecool ATV launcher?

If I replace the Mecool ATV launcher with an alternative launcher, say Nova, will voice control on the remote control still work?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffers View Post
      Is voice control tied in with the Mecool ATV launcher?

If I replace the Mecool ATV launcher with an alternative launcher, say Nova, will voice control on the remote control still work?
      I could be completely wrong, but I believe voice control is a function of the Nougat OS. So should work on non ATV version.
      MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

I could be completely wrong, but I believe voice control is a function of the Nougat OS. So should work on non ATV version.
        Trusting your belief I thought I would have a go :-)
        1. Installed Nova Launcher
        2. Installed Application Disabler
        3. Disabled ATV Leanback Launcher (piece of crap IMO)
        4. Pressed home button on remote
        5. Asked to choose launcher
        6. Chose Nova Launcher and it worked :-)
        7. Tried voice control on remote and that worked :-) :-)
        8. Changes survived a reboot :-)
        Just a couple of issues I need to resolve with Nova Launcher:-
        1. Can't change wallpaper to a wallpaper I have stored in the download folder via fx file explorer, which works on my other android boxes - UPDATE I was able to change wallpaper to my image via gallery
        2. The App Drawer 'Swipe Indicator' does not display on home screen

Comment

Originally posted by clarkss12 View Post

Changing my Mecools Launcher was a good step forward.

My next big step would be to get rid of the restricted ATV Play Store in favour of having a full access play store. To achieve this I think I need to install a custom ROM.

If I installed one of Megandez's Nougat Roms, would my remote and remote voice control still work?

Comment

Changing my Mecools Launcher was a good step forward.

My next big step would be to get rid of the restricted ATV Play Store in favour of having a full access play store. To achieve this I think I need to install a custom ROM.

If I installed one of Megandez's Nougat Roms, would my remote and remote voice control still work?
            Just install apptoide TV and you get all the stock apps you need. Then inTv app repo if you need to be able to put the app banners on your home screen. Attacched is a screnshot of my home screen using the "modiifed" stock leanback launcher.

I don't think the leanback launcher is a piece of shit though, what size display are you on? I personally feel it does everything its supposed to do, especially when a remote is your primary input method.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Intrinsic View Post

Just install apptoide TV and you get all the stock apps you need. Then inTv app repo if you need to be able to put the app banners on your home screen. Attacched is a screnshot of my home screen using the "modiifed" stock leanback launcher.

I don't think the leanback launcher is a piece of shit though, what size display are you on? I personally feel it does everything its supposed to do, especially when a remote is your primary input method.
              Thanks for responding, doesn't answer my question though.

I have Aptoide installed and Sideload Launcher and TV App Repo, and I still can't do what I want :-(

For example I couldn't install Transparent Weather Clock App.

I want to to get rid of ATV and the restricted Play Store it uses, so I can install what Apps I want, don't have to install additional Apps to get around the restrictions they impose, customise my home screen how I want including widgets and access all my Apps from my home screen with one click. All the things I used to do before Google started to do an Apple and restrict what their users can do.

If Google want to have ATV launcher and a restrictive play store NPs, but at least give people an easy way to choose full touch android and complete play store.

Comment

Thanks for responding, doesn't answer my question though.

I have Aptoide installed and Sideload Launcher and TV App Repo, and I still can't do what I want :-(

For example I couldn't install Transparent Weather Clock App.

I want to to get rid of ATV and the restricted Play Store it uses, so I can install what Apps I want, don't have to install additional Apps to get around the restrictions they impose, customise my home screen how I want including widgets and access all my Apps from my home screen with one click. All the things I used to do before Google started to do an Apple and restrict what their users can do.

If Google want to have ATV launcher and a restrictive play store NPs, but at least give people an easy way to choose full touch android and complete play store.
                Ok.

The problem is that you are trying to have your system run like stock android whereas your system is based on android TV firmware. So a lot of these things you are talking about simply aren't supported on the firmware level. What you want to do is install a custom rom that is based on stock android. It will have the full android play store. Basically your device will work like an android tablet.

Look this ROM up its literally exactly what you are looking for. Be mindful of what version of the box you have though, if you look under thebox and and see an LB designation at the end of the number string then that ROM will not work properly on your box.

A bonus is that with that ROM you won't even need to be installing nova and all that. Even better, all you have to do is just download the updat.zip in the thread OP and install it via your update managr in settings in your box.
                In the spirit of the Pure Nexus Project, these Nano and Stock Nexus ROMs prove that less can be more. The goal is to keep true to Google's vision and use the bare

Comment

Ok.

The problem is that you are trying to have your system run like stock android whereas your system is based on android TV firmware. So a lot of these things you are talking about simply aren't supported on the firmware level. What you want to do is install a custom rom that is based on stock android. It will have the full android play store. Basically your device will work like an android tablet.

Look this ROM up its literally exactly what you are looking for. Be mindful of what version of the box you have though, if you look under thebox and and see an LB designation at the end of the number string then that ROM will not work properly on your box.

A bonus is that with that ROM you won't even need to be installing nova and all that. Even better, all you have to do is just download the updat.zip in the thread OP and install it via your update managr in settings in your box.
                  That's the ROM I was thinking of using, when I look under the box I see LQ, so hopefully ROM will work.

I wasn't aware of the LB restriction, thanks for that.

My question before installing this ROM is will my BT remote and remote voice control still work?

Remote voice control is why I paid extra for this version of the box and I would any new ROM to allow me to continue using it.

Comment

Buying now from geekbuying, what version do you think i will get?
                    Thanks

Comment

That's the ROM I was thinking of using, when I look under the box I see LQ, so hopefully ROM will work.

I wasn't aware of the LB restriction, thanks for that.

My question before installing this ROM is will my BT remote and remote voice control still work?

Remote voice control is why I paid extra for this version of the box and I would any new ROM to allow me to continue using it.
                      Yes it will, albeit set up won't necesarily be the same way it is when using the TV ROM. You BT remote is just a glorified mic and you will be able to pair the mic to the ROM as you can pair a mic/headset to a phone. As I said, this basically turns your box into a tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbynaish View Post
                        Buying now from geekbuying, what version do you think i will get?
                        Thanks
                        Can't be certain, looking at what they have they don't seem to have the Leanback version (**********LB) based on the images they have on their product page right now. But that doesn't mean it could ship and be the LB version.

The LB is the current version in circulation, but its also the worst version to get. Unfortunately thats whatI have, in my specific usage case scenario its perfect, but its been known not to have as good a wifi chip as the other versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Almadex View Post
                          Hi Trebor
                          Can you get the original firmware for this box "M8S PRO L-userdebug 7.1.1 NHG47L 20180205.111652.V0928 zip or img"?
                          Thank you
                          You can download it from here.

Comment

Can't be certain, looking at what they have they don't seem to have the Leanback version (**********LB) based on the images they have on their product page right now. But that doesn't mean it could ship and be the LB version.

The LB is the current version in circulation, but its also the worst version to get. Unfortunately thats whatI have, in my specific usage case scenario its perfect, but its been known not to have as good a wifi chip as the other versions.
                            How i can easily and fast understand if it's the bad LB version or no? Maybe i can ask by email a simple fast check on something exterior?
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Intrinsic

Trust me when I say that the LQ firmware has a terrible Wi-Fi chip as well. In my case it keeps disconnecting when using Netflix (which is a pretty stable app, although slow), let alone when Kodi is on!

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 4X utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Robbynaish View Post

How i can easily and fast understand if it's the bad LB version or no? Maybe i can ask by email a simple fast check on something exterior?
                                Thanks
                                Look at the part number on the bottom of your box, the last two letters. Works for English, but not sure about other languages.
                                MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Working...
                                X