Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alfawise A8 TV BOX Rockchip 3229 Android 8.1 - 2/16GB 2.4G WiFi 100Mbps Support 4K H.265

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I have the same problem with the wifi-connection and apparantly some other users too...

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a solution for this problem so far. I've contacted the support ([email protected]) about more than two weeks ago regarding the WLAN/Wifi-problem and it was pretty much just wasted time. First the support didn't know about their own product ("Please give us the link of the product"), so I had to send them a link to their homepage where they can find the A8 TV Box. The again, a couple of days silence and another email from the support. Now the wanted to know my ordernumber and what kind of issues I do have with the TV Box ("Please kindly tell us your order number and issue details). I've already explained the wifi-issue in detail in my first email to them.

After another two days they sent me the following: "Please see the firmware link here http://chiptrip.webok.net:5050/fbsharing/Id2grnX1"
    Definitely a link/website Firefox doesn't like and even if you ignore the warnings, the link leads to nowhere. So, another reply from me, thanking them for their efforts and reporting the downloadlink they've sent me as "dead". That was a week ago or so and since then - just silence. Well, I didn't expect much and I wouldn't be surprised now if the Alfawise A8 is just another TV Box which never sees bugfixes or a new firmware.

@diimkonst: At the moment I'd say the best option to solve this is to connect the A8 with an ethernet-cable to your router/access point whatever. It works flawlessly and the performance is so much better. If that is not possible for you, then unfortunately it looks like you have to reboot the box from time to time to get the wifi working again. Annoying, I know, but I guess there is not much that can be done until Alfawise provides a new firmware to fix some bugs.

RKMC and now some good news: The Kodi nightly build from yesterday (kodi-20181015-7fc52337-master-armeabi-v7a) finally works excellent on the A8 now. It looks like the preinstalled RKMC is not much more else than a rebranded, early Alpha of Kodi 18, but heavily stripped down. No PVR plugins, no cover download, not even the youtube-plugin works. Even if you download the plugins manually or add repos, you end up with lots of unsolvable dependency issues. My results with the stable 17.6 of Kodi were just horrible, got better with the betas of Kodi 18, but there still were some issues with video and especially audio. For some reason the imho absolutely necessary hardware-acceleration were not working properly and the box even struggled with 576i-videos, especially with a lot of movement on the screen. The Kodi nightly from yesterday doesn't have any problems and works just fine (shows as Beta 4 in the settings) and that is quite an unexpected improvement for me.

PS: The Netflix app (tablet version) still sucks, although it is much more usable with an air mouse remote. No updates for the netflix app too, network error messages are still appearing occasionally when watching series. 480p max is also not much fun, so I think I will order a Box with Android TV OS very soon to get Neflix in HD with a hopefully much better interface...
    Last edited by Vienna; 10-17-2018, 11:57.

Comment

Thank you very much Vienna, ethernet-cable is hard to put because the router is in another room, I will reboot until newer firmware is given and fix the problems of the TV box.

Comment

Maybe a powerline starterkit is an option for you. It uses the already existing electrical wiring and is an almost effortless plug & play solution. Unfortunately I'm afraid even the cheaper sets will cost you more than the Alfawise A8.

Comment

Hi,

The wifi problem in my case, it´s REAL, but it is a BUG, if you go after your wifi connection even if it´s off, try connect it, it will connect!! It´s a bug, you have no signal but cliking the old wifi connection it will connect!
          The new kodi beta 18 version is working fine, i played a lot of vídeos and it is ok!
          For games i did installed some and even asfalt 8 is playing good but like i said before, this alfawise a8 tv box was sent to me with some modifications in the soldering(i open it to compare to the old one), i also put na 5v fan inside and it no longer heats to death!
          Using it for a week and it´s working 100%! the 2 amps from the power suplier can handle two wireless remote controls and one game pad connected at the same time.

Comment

I close the TV box with the red remote control button and when I reopen the wifi button is permanently closed and I can not open it so I do not see wireless networks until I restart. I will not buy Alfawise products because there is no support.

Comment

Dimkonst,

that happen to me in some dongles with android kit kat but is not happening with my tv box. Alfawise sucks, they didn't answer my questions also. Try get the firmware in gearbest website and do the update with the usb male to male cable or try sd firmware tool. That maybe also from the power adapter or the antena wifi but i think almost for sure it is the firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Bnt007 View Post
                Hi,

The wifi problem in my case, it´s REAL, but it is a BUG, if you go after your wifi connection even if it´s off, try connect it, it will connect!! It´s a bug, you have no signal but cliking the old wifi connection it will connect!
                The new kodi beta 18 version is working fine, i played a lot of vídeos and it is ok!
                For games i did installed some and even asfalt 8 is playing good but like i said before, this alfawise a8 tv box was sent to me with some modifications in the soldering(i open it to compare to the old one), i also put na 5v fan inside and it no longer heats to death!
                Using it for a week and it´s working 100%! the 2 amps from the power suplier can handle two wireless remote controls and one game pad connected at the same time.
                any chance you could supply me with a straight forward guide to how you added a cooling fan to this unit?! I'd love to cool it down a bit!

Comment

NOTE....I'm still hunting for a proper ROOT method for this box! Anyone have any luck rooting it yet?

Comment

JG420,

you dont need a guide, just get a 5v fan with usb connection(or modify), open a hole with the same size in the tv box(first open the box to see were it go's because of the wifi antena stick, screw drivers holes, etc). The only problem is the noise, mine is pretty close to the rk3229 chip so it certainly decreases the temperature. If you want to know more do some searchs in youtube for cooling tv boxes.

Comment

Ok that seems easy enough Bnt007! Thank you!

Comment

Does anyone have an .img file of the factory shipped firmware for this box? BEFORE the crappy OTA update that was shared in this thread?
                        I have managed to full on BRICK this box! L-O-L
                        I can get it into MASKROM mode via shorting the nand pins and thats it! any attempt at flashing the rom shared in this thread gives me DOWNLOAD BOOT FAIL

ANYONE ABLE TO HELP!?!?!?

Comment

JG420,

That happen to me in my first alfawise a8 tv box! They send me another one working fine. Like i said before i opened to see, and there is some kind of glue in many soldering points that weren´t before in the first one! I dont think they did that for reinforcing the soldering, i think they did that so that the current/voltage in that specific points didn´t mess with some kind of component in the circuit. I am working with this android box for weeks, doing all kind of tests, playing games, watching tv, starting and disconnecting many times and it keeps working without problems.
                          Try the nand pins 5 and 6 with long contact and let them go only when the firmware is updated!
                          I couldn´t recover mine, even with sdfirmware tool it fails doing the update some how(blue light all the time). Good luck!
                          Last edited by Bnt007; 10-25-2018, 14:44.

Comment

Bnt007
                            youre saying to short the pins and keep them shorted while I start the update and continue shorting them until the update flashes? I'll give that a try but I doubt it'll go past Download Boot Fail.
                            I can't get a new box because I got it off a website I'm not allowed to mention here (it shows up as stars LoL)(not an official seller)
                            I've gone and ordered an x96 mini and am awaiting it's arrival now.
                            I'll update once I get flahsing the firmware while keeping the pins shirted.
                            Thanks for the advice and reply!

Comment

JG420,

Yes! Give a try and give feedback, you will go further but then or fails or starts updating! Good luck!

Comment

tried updating using firmware tool while shorting the pins, it still fails on Download Boot Fail. I give up. the box is going to the bin lol

Originally posted by Bnt007 View Post
                                JG420,

Yes! Give a try and give feedback, you will go further but then or fails or starts updating! Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X