Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PicUntu-4.5-nand-BasicGUI installer - One file, few click install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gmtii
    replied
    try this config with disabled CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID_NETWORK and enabled CONFIG_SYSVIPC (chrome doesn't show pages content and some services can't be started like apache https://plus.google.com/u/0/104676886289084007032/posts).

Notice that the hardware console is attached to ttyS2 (hw uart console mod) so no boot text on screen.

cheers!

Originally posted by goldenfly View Post
    First of all, a huge thanks to Alok, as well as the entire PicUntu team and community members, for your hard work in getting PicUntu onto RK3188 devices!

Following the postings from gmtii and alok's response, I've re-compressed a version of the installer 7z (DOWNLOAD HERE) which contains an updated system.img that includes Omegamoon's 3.0.72+ kernel modules (/lib/modules/3.0.72+/ folder copied from gmtii's archive, /lib/modules/*.ko.3.0.72+ compiled from omegamoon's git repo), as well as gmtii's compiled kernel_nand.img and kernel_sd.img. I hope that this can allow more people to try out PicUntu on their MK908 devices!

Flashing Instructions (derived from Alok's; tested on MK908 v3):
    0. Make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed on your Windows PC. You can use Google to find instructions. Also, read Alok's original post before continuing.

1. On a Windows PC, download and uncompress PicUntu-4.5-BasicGUI-Nand-MK908v3.7z.

2. Run rk_flash_1.37/RKAndroidTool.exe. Every entry except for misc, recovery, and backup should be checked.

3. Disconnect all USB connections to your MK908 device; make sure a USB-to-mini-USB cable is connected to your PC.

4. While holding down the reset/flash button (accessed via the small hole near the HDMI jack that does not light up during normal boot-up), connect the mini-USB cable to the side mini-USB jack (labelled OTG). Hold for 2+ seconds until RkAndroidTool.exe reports "Device Found for Flashing". (If this does not happen, make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed)

5. Click on Erase NAND and wait until messages stop (~20 sec)

6. Click on Flash ROM and wait until messages stop (~3 mins)

Currently, you need to manually load the wifi module on every boot, although you can probably create an upstart/init.d script/cronjob/etc. script to do this automatically.

7. Once you log into PicUntu, open up a Terminal (2nd icon in the bottom launchpad).

8. Type 'sudo insmod /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+', and enter password when prompted.

(Edit: there seems to be a permission issue after running this command, where only root user can access internet -- ping/ssh/apt/wget/firefox/etc all fails under picuntu user. Try removing the sudo when running the insmod command... I have yet to test this since I'm in the middle of compiling.)

9. Enjoy PicUntu on your MK908 device!

I'm in the process of configuring a MK908 to control an AR.Drone quadrotor autonomously using OpenCV and ROS. More on that soon (I hope)

Sidenote: to find out what is the board version of you MK908, you need to open the case (by slowly propping it open using a spadger/ flat screwdriver/etc), and look for the text "MK908 V3.0 2013/05/13" on the side with the reset/flash button, near the OTG mini-USB jack.

P.S. to Alok: in RkAndroidTool.exe, you can right-click on the list of items and export an updated flash configuration into config.cfg

Leave a comment:

• aloksinha2001
    replied
    First of all, a huge thanks to Alok, as well as the entire PicUntu team and community members, for your hard work in getting PicUntu onto RK3188 devices! Currently, you need to manually load the wifi module on every boot, although you can probably create an upstart/init.d script/cronjob/etc. script to do this automatically. 8. Type 'sudo insmod /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+', and enter password when prompted. (Edit: there seems to be a permission issue after running this command, where only root user can access internet -- ping/ssh/apt/wget/firefox/etc all fails under picuntu user. Try removing the sudo when running the insmod command... I have yet to test this since I'm in the middle of compiling.)
    1. You can load the modules on install every time - by a. making sure, the module is under the /lib/modules/3.0.72+/kernel b. depmod -a c. Then insert the file rkwifi in the /etc/modules directory. 2. It seems, you may have compiled the kernel with NETWORK_PARANOID option, check and disable, to allow everyone BTW: Good to see picuntu on mk908 Alok

Leave a comment:

• aloksinha2001
    replied
    P.S. to Alok: in RkAndroidTool.exe, you can right-click on the list of items and export an updated flash configuration into config.cfg
    Yes !! thats what I was looking for.. .thanks will try it out... NOW Alok

Leave a comment:

• goldenfly
    replied
    Originally posted by mustafaupk View Post
    Thanks goldenfly. It finally booted for my mk908 v3.

wifi: gets ip address after loading the module but firefox/chromium don't connect to internet.
    Yeah, I still haven't found a proper solution, though a fast bypass hack is to do everything net-related in 'sudo bash' (even launching firefox as root will work).

Leave a comment:

• mustafaupk
    replied
    Thanks goldenfly. It finally booted for my mk908 v3.

wifi: gets ip address after loading the module but firefox/chromium don't connect to internet.

Leave a comment:

• goldenfly
    replied
    UNOFFICIAL PicUntu 4.5 installer for MK908 v3

First of all, a huge thanks to Alok, as well as the entire PicUntu team and community members, for your hard work in getting PicUntu onto RK3188 devices!

Following the postings from gmtii and alok's response, I've re-compressed a version of the installer 7z (DOWNLOAD HERE) which contains an updated system.img that includes Omegamoon's 3.0.72+ kernel modules (/lib/modules/3.0.72+/ folder copied from gmtii's archive, /lib/modules/*.ko.3.0.72+ compiled from omegamoon's git repo), as well as gmtii's compiled kernel_nand.img and kernel_sd.img. I hope that this can allow more people to try out PicUntu on their MK908 devices!

Flashing Instructions (derived from Alok's; tested on MK908 v3):
    0. Make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed on your Windows PC. You can use Google to find instructions. Also, read Alok's original post before continuing.

1. On a Windows PC, download and uncompress PicUntu-4.5-BasicGUI-Nand-MK908v3.7z.

2. Run rk_flash_1.37/RKAndroidTool.exe. Every entry except for misc, recovery, and backup should be checked.

3. Disconnect all USB connections to your MK908 device; make sure a USB-to-mini-USB cable is connected to your PC.

4. While holding down the reset/flash button (accessed via the small hole near the HDMI jack that does not light up during normal boot-up), connect the mini-USB cable to the side mini-USB jack (labelled OTG). Hold for 2+ seconds until RkAndroidTool.exe reports "Device Found for Flashing". (If this does not happen, make sure you have the Rockchip device drivers installed)

5. Click on Erase NAND and wait until messages stop (~20 sec)

6. Click on Flash ROM and wait until messages stop (~3 mins)

Currently, you need to manually load the wifi module on every boot, although you can probably create an upstart/init.d script/cronjob/etc. script to do this automatically.

7. Once you log into PicUntu, open up a Terminal (2nd icon in the bottom launchpad).

8. Type 'sudo insmod /lib/modules/rkwifi.ko.3.0.72+', and enter password when prompted.

(Edit: there seems to be a permission issue after running this command, where only root user can access internet -- ping/ssh/apt/wget/firefox/etc all fails under picuntu user. Try removing the sudo when running the insmod command... I have yet to test this since I'm in the middle of compiling.)

9. Enjoy PicUntu on your MK908 device!

I'm in the process of configuring a MK908 to control an AR.Drone quadrotor autonomously using OpenCV and ROS. More on that soon (I hope)

Sidenote: to find out what is the board version of you MK908, you need to open the case (by slowly propping it open using a spadger/ flat screwdriver/etc), and look for the text "MK908 V3.0 2013/05/13" on the side with the reset/flash button, near the OTG mini-USB jack.

Last edited by goldenfly; 10-14-2013, 00:13.

Leave a comment:

• mustafaupk
    replied
    Originally posted by aloksinha2001 View Post
    Very nice gmiti.. well done... Thank you for the pack - it seems complete, Its exciting to test this... will do soon.
    I was working to get the PicUntu released on Mk908, you just saved a lot of efforts.

While, I get this into a complete pack - A simple step could be.
    1. Unzip the Picuntu 4.5Nand folder - on Linux
    2. Mount the system.img into a directory. Copy Omegamoons - firmware/modules into the <mountedfile>/lib/modules
    3. Make changes to the <mountedfile>/etc/init (as you have done)
    4. Flash your compiled NAND kernel directly - and you are done !!

You may hit the time bug - fsck mount time... I solved by setting my linux machine to 1/1/1970 before mounting/unmounting the filesystem (uggh) .. also fixed /etc/fsck.conf (broken_system_time option) but that had not worked...

Anyways, I am so definitely going to try this out... cool stuff - Thanks.

Alok
    I tried this method of mounting the system.img and copy-pasting of Omegamoons prebuilt 3.0.72+ modules into the lib/modules (overwriting the previous files). After flashing the mk908 did not boot (I don't have v2 but I'm not sure if its v1 or v3).

Leave a comment:

• leolas
    replied
    Re: PicUntu-4.5-nand-BasicGUI installer - One file, few click install.

Originally posted by shaan_npl View Post
    Dear Alok Can you compile the driver for Bluetooth Chipset is RDA 5876 please (source file attached)...or at least if anyone could guide me to the basics of driver compilation from source... Thanks...
    This driver is usually included in the kernel sources, tcc_bt_dev support in /drivers/misc

leolas.

Leave a comment:

• shaan_npl
    replied
    Bluetooth Driver......????

Following every possible way suggested, I could not make my wifi chipset work with this release of picuntu. Decided to open my box, sharing here what I found. 1. Wifi chipset is Realtek RTL8188ETV (dmesg gives me VID=0bda PID=0179) 2. Bluetooth Chipset is RDA 5876 (ES162242), info at http://www.rdamicro.com/products/Detail_194.aspx. I tried to search for bluetooth driver, couldn't get any but found out the source code for it. It can be obtained below.... http://www.freaktab.com/attachment.p...0&d=1381484085 I hope it would be useful for the developers... Dear Alok, can you compile the driver for bluetooth please...? At least it would solve one problem....Thanks
    Dear Alok Can you compile the driver for Bluetooth Chipset is RDA 5876 please (source file attached)...or at least if anyone could guide me to the basics of driver compilation from source... Thanks...

Leave a comment:

• excession
    replied
    And here is the kernel....
    First Unzip it
    Just erase the older kernel and flash this one with rkflash tool 1.37 , you are good to go...
    Thank you for posting this!
    Wifi now works on my K-R42, which is great - I have network connectivity

Leave a comment:

• shaan_npl
    replied
    Kernel Config

Originally posted by aloksinha2001 View Post
    Shaan - excellent work - Can you please share the .config file as well...

Alok
    Dear Alok,

pls find the config file attached...config-3.0.36-Linux3188-2013.10.13.11h.10m.txt

Leave a comment:

• aloksinha2001
    replied
    Originally posted by dkcm View Post
    This is brilliant! Many thanks for your work. This release is really really fast.
    Glad you liked it.

Alok

Leave a comment:

• aloksinha2001
    replied
    Originally posted by linuxerwang View Post
    Thanks for sharing it with us, Alok!

Can you also share the ../mytools/4.8-mkalokimg.sh file? Looks like you have a handle shell script which I believe will help lots of people customize their own kernel. Thank you!
    Could you pm me please...

Leave a comment:

• aloksinha2001
    replied
    Originally posted by cororok View Post
    I've installed this to my mk908 II without any additional step. It was easy just flashed rom.
    It's nice... wifi (ap6210 chip) works out of box. my monitor is 1080p and screen is too. I can't test the sound over HDMI because I'm using DVI using HDM converter.
    Sound is good too... when you check it

Glad you liked the distro.

Alok

Leave a comment:

• aloksinha2001
    replied
    Originally posted by paul1 View Post
    Hi Alok,
    So my questions are: 1) does PicUntu support 'Minix Neo X7' (or another with many same audio & USB ports), its WiFi and all its many ports, less GPU hardware accel & Bluetooth ?, 2) Only reason I want to change Android to Linux is to run Inkscape, Postgres, LibreOffice, VLC MediaPlayer, XBMC and maybe a few other open-source apps that currently run on my Windows laptop. As I have no linux experience, is PicUntu near enough to standard Ubuntu to allow simple installation of these, i.e binary image, not compiling source code ?
    1. No at this point of time, I have not tested Minix Neo X7 - so cannot say for sure.
    2. XBMC will not work, effectively, till we resolve the hardware acceleration issue - this is some time away.
    3. Yes, picuntu allows all (almost all) ubuntu 13.04 installs with command apt-get install <name of package>

Alok

Leave a comment:

Working...
X