Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PicUntu-4.5-nand-BasicGUI installer - One file, few click install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CX-919 works great

Excellent job. Working great as a PC replacement on CX-919, much better than the MK808 and other dual-core with older Picuntu builds. Had to use RKAndroidTool v1.37 (Loader Ver: 1.22) for it to see the device and flash the ROM. USB-Ethernet adapter worked at first, but now is not listed. HDMI audo works great, but haven't been able to get a USB headset to work (shows in list, but no sound.) Neither is a show stopper for the business use case.

Overall seeing about 60% performance improvement for business usage (browser, LibreOffice, Thunderbird) over RK3066 devices and Picuntu 0.9 RC 2.2 (device testing and roundup HERE, following up with OS and applications notes after a little more burn-in using Picuntu 4.5 in a Part 2: Applications next week.)

Thanks Picuntu Team!

Comment

I'm ready to test this out on a Minix Neo X7 but wanted to get an idea on how successful it might be before diving in.

1. Should this run XBMC easily - i don't mind if it only supports 720p via CPU only - i just want it to be stable for pictures, music and streaming plugins like youtube.

2. I have the Minix Neo A2 air remote (as well as the tiny one that comes with the X7) and was wondering what the chances of either of them working with picuntu.

3. Network is also pretty important but if ethernet driver is supplied then I'm good.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by pantz View Post
        I'm ready to test this out on a Minix Neo X7 but wanted to get an idea on how successful it might be before diving in.

1. Should this run XBMC easily - i don't mind if it only supports 720p via CPU only - i just want it to be stable for pictures, music and streaming plugins like youtube.

2. I have the Minix Neo A2 air remote (as well as the tiny one that comes with the X7) and was wondering what the chances of either of them working with picuntu.

3. Network is also pretty important but if ethernet driver is supplied then I'm good.

Thanks
        Not even 720P videos play properly, they don't play at all in full screen. Without GPU acceleration, CPU decoding 720P won't work on display.

If you want XBMC on Linux look for AMlogic M3 devices capable of running xbmc with hw decoding and running under linux. They start from $64 usd.

Comment

Ok that's exactly the info I was after. So seeing as my box is 'production' I'm gonna have to wait until it gets a few more features.

Thanks

Comment

I just add my voice; I want to turn my Minix Neo X5 (rt3066 based) in a linux server, so picuntu seems to be the way to go for me!
            I am a bit a newbie in this field, but as I understand I have to recompile the kernel for rt3066, and select the modules corresponding to the chipsets inside the box, right?

Comment

Dear Friends,

Installed picuntu (works great) on
              MK908 V3.0 2013.05.13 unforunately it doesnt detect my Wifi/BT AP6210 combo?

I wish alteast wifi could work? Any instructions on how to enable or insert the driver (if its already present in picuntu distribution 4.5?)

Thanks for all hardwork
              MK

Comment

Originally posted by leadermontanus View Post
                First of all, great work on this distro, it is really promising and it will be great once it gets more stable.

I have a 16GB Rikomagic MK802IV (after a couple of false starts it finally worked to flash it using "RK3188Loader(L)_V1.24.bin" as per the updated instructions).

However, after 2-5 minutes Linux always hangs, either accepting no input from keyboard/mouse, or as soon as you try to use keyboard all apps crash and I am left with the wallpaper. In either case I need to do turn the power off. Doing a soft reboot using Alt+Ctrl+Del restarts various services but fails to start the window manager again.

Annoyingly there is nothing in the logs, so the crash is pretty immediate... I am suspecting the Wifi at this point, it is flakier when using a browser to access the internet. I have tried all 3 desktop environments and different browsers, no difference. This happens with no extra files installed, immediately after installing Picuntu. Have also tried to turn wifi off and not logging in, just leaving it at the login prompt, again no difference...

I am attaching the dmesg output as a start in case it can help someone to shed a light on this, happy to help with anything I can do to track this down...

[ATTACH]3597[/ATTACH]

A
                i know im being one fo those with and obvious Q and A, but for sake of correctly diagnosing the problem, bear wif me.
                1. did u try another power supply?
                2. did u erase the NAND before flasing picuntu?
                3. what is the external connection?usb s?
                4. does it behave the same way using android(NAND) and picuntu(SD card)?

1. in my past expirience, wif Rpi and ug802, using barely adequate / faulty power suply can cause eratic behaviour.
                myne was faulty PSU, after swithing it with my phone charger, everything behave normaly,
                2, im not sure if it is even possible, but couldnt hurt to ask.
                3. peripherals (keyboard, mouse, hub, etc...) can (rarely) causes problem. try using other keyboard mouse and/or hub
                4. if android and boot from sd does not cause any problem, it may have been the picuntu / faulty board itself.

lastly overheating can cause this problem too ( governor / OC kernel). i had this problem with my ug802 when i try increasing performance, via OC an performance governor without proper cooling/heatsink.
                i also skim tru you dsmeg but cant say i found anything new that u havent already said.

Comment

thx..

works realy fine on my MK908. great work!

greets from Berlin

Comment

Thanks for suggestions, her is what I have done:

Originally posted by milkboy View Post
                    i know im being one fo those with and obvious Q and A, but for sake of correctly diagnosing the problem, bear wif me.
                    1. did u try another power supply?
                    Yes, 3 different ones, one of the first things I suspected.

did u erase the NAND before flasing picuntu?
                    Yes, and I reflashed while double checking that I erased the NAND as well.

what is the external connection?usb s?
                    I have a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo that I used, but even with nothing plugged in (just leaving it at the login prompt) it will eventually hang, but it is worth a try, so will use the Mele F10 which I have floating around here. Have not connected any other USB devices.

does it behave the same way using android(NAND) and picuntu(SD card)?
                    That was the next thing on my list to check, need to get a rooted ROM and all that first.

4. if android and boot from sd does not cause any problem, it may have been the picuntu / faulty board itself.
                    Yes, beyond Wifi issues (which I guess should give some clue in the logs), I end to suspect the hardware when it is so sudden and at varying intervals.

lastly overheating can cause this problem too ( governor / OC kernel). i had this problem with my ug802 when i try increasing performance, via OC an performance governor without proper cooling/heatsink.
                    i also skim tru you dsmeg but cant say i found anything new that u havent already said.
                    I have not overclocked it and I already checked temperature, as I say, this happens within a few minutes even without using it, so not that I thing, and the device is not hot to touch at all...

Anyway, I will test the SD card method, just bought a new one yesterday for that purpose, if there is still a problem I will get a new one to test.

Thanks a lot for the feedback and suggestions, we're moving forward...

A

Comment

Any idea where to get initramfs-3.0.36+.cpio to compile the kernel? Thanks!
                      Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Comment

Re: PicUntu-4.5-nand-BasicGUI installer - One file, few click install.

Originally posted by phjanderson View Post
                        Any idea where to get initramfs-3.0.36+.cpio to compile the kernel? Thanks!
                        RK30 and RK31 initramfs files, latest one (with rknand) is initramfs-3.0.36+.cpio - Galland/rk30_linux_initramfs

I am not absolutely sure but, I think in my first ubuntu for rk3188 I used this:

leolas.
                        REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                        My devices:
                        Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                        MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                        Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                        Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                        Gearbest.com)
                        MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                        Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                        Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
                          https://github.com/Galland/rk30_linux_initramfs?files=1

I am not absolutely sure but, I think in my first ubuntu for rk3188 I used this:

leolas.
                          I tried that one but it failed to boot.

I think you forgot to add the second url...
                          Want to thank me for my work? Donate to one of the administrators of this forum here or here, thanks!

Comment

Re: PicUntu-4.5-nand-BasicGUI installer - One file, few click install.

Originally posted by phjanderson View Post
                            I tried that one but it failed to boot.

I think you forgot to add the second url...
                            Sorry, you are right, from the mobile is a nightmare paste links

Maybe linuxium in his Google+ has a link to the cpio used in his distro, I made a quick kernel only to test ubuntu, but I can't remember exactly what sources and tools used, I had not wifi possibility nor Ethernet, so I left Linux.
                            Maybe in rickomagic forum?
                            Sorry can't remember.

leolas.
                            REMEMBER, YOUR FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT TO US.
                            My devices:
                            Minix Neo X7; Minix Neo X8-H , Minix Neo Z64W & Z64 (Sponsored by Minix)
                            MK902 & MK902II(Sponsored by RKM)
                            Beelink M8B & Beelink R89 (Sponsored by Beelink)
                            Tronsmart VEGA S89H (Sponsored by
                            Gearbest.com)
                            MELE-PCG03 (Sponsored by Gearbest.com) Discount Coupon:MPCG03
                            Ainol Intel Z3735 MiniPC(Sponsored by Gearbest.com)
                            Thanks to them I can try to support your devices http://freaktab.com/core/images/smilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by leolas View Post
                              Sorry, you are right, from the mobile is a nightmare paste links

Maybe linuxium in his Google+ has a link to the cpio used in his distro, I made a quick kernel only to test ubuntu, but I can't remember exactly what sources and tools used, I had not wifi possibility nor Ethernet, so I left Linux.
                              Maybe in rickomagic forum?
                              Sorry can't remember.

leolas.
                              Better to use my latest initramfs as this gives you a bootable kernel and a lot more.

My current one allows you to boot Android with an Android kernel and an Android file system or boot Linux with a Linux kernel and a Linux file system. Android obviously boots from NAND as it is effectively the native install, where as you also have the option to boot Linux from an SD card or install and boot Linux from NAND.

For working examples see http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...oot-capability

For the actual parts so you can build your own, with any Android or Linux kernels, full instructions with config, pseudo makefiles, tools, initramfs, software and links to sources and hopefully everything you'll ever want see http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...velopment-pack

Comment

Try This one

i successfully compiled my kernel for picuntu using

Don't know why your compilation failed...

Comment

Working...
                                X