Polaroid PMID701i Andriod 4.0 Icecream Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polaroid PMID701i Andriod 4.0 Icecream Sandwich

Just picked up an Android PMID701i Android 4.0 today, 4-11 for $99 at Big Lots! I already have the PMID701c Android 2.3.4. They both share the same specs as far as I can tell, hoping to root it and get the market working on it asap. I actually prefer the older Android 2.3.4 only because it's what I'm used to, the 4.0 is much better looking though! Curious to see what the ppl here at Freaktabs can squeeze outta this new Polaroid device.

From what I can tell...

It looked like the PMID701i was really the c just with the ICS installed. interesting to know that Big Lots has em at the same price as the c's though. Maybe I should have waited a couple weeks to get the test unit (though I wouldn't have been quite as willing to try the Onda )

So how willing are you to trying some lower level ADB work to try and pull the images out?

Comment

Dunno if I'd be any good at the ADB stuff...

Originally posted by sabercatpuck View Post
      It looked like the PMID701i was really the c just with the ICS installed. interesting to know that Big Lots has em at the same price as the c's though. Maybe I should have waited a couple weeks to get the test unit (though I wouldn't have been quite as willing to try the Onda )

So how willing are you to trying some lower level ADB work to try and pull the images out?
      I picked up this 4.0 entirely by accident thinking it was the PMID701c Android 2.3.4 version for my daughter after I had gotten one a few weeks back for myself, didn't even realize till I got in the house that it was different. Box is the same the unit is the same etc... Turned it on and was like, huh? This looks different? Then at closer inspection I see a sticker on the box "Android 4.0".

About doing some ADB I'm so green at the dev/hack stuff on these devices I wouldn't know where to begin. I only found this site by looking for hacks on the PMID701c, which I was able to root etc as per the threads here on freaktab. I've also been able to root a 7" Pandigital Novel (black) w/ instructions I found on Youtube about 6mo ago. That's all my experience thus far though I am wanting to learn! I'd like to know how to build ROMs etc.

Comment

If it helps any I am still real green too

My big present idea last Chrismas was a new computer that I could start to learn Java and Android on. Just got started looking at it when things got crazy around the house, and hadnt had a chance to look again untill I picked up this tablet a couple weeks back so the good news is it can be done. I will admit a bit of a technical background, but overall more into the hardware side of things than the software, so this is a new direction for me too.

Up to you, if you want I can try to put together a set of instructions to follow allong with, though the only brick assurance I can offer is knowing we could get the Onda software on it. The point of what I was thinking was to try and recreate a stock ICS ROM. If you dont want to give it a try I can fully understand. Hard to risk breaking the new toy

We were most of the way through getting the Gingerbread one together, but I have not heard from Notpod in a few days. Hopefully he is either just recharging or working on getting the image together. I would love to be able to offer the origial images, it has just been a bit of a pain getting a copy of them from Polaroid / Southern Telecom.

Comment

Some pics

Comment

Up to you, if you want I can try to put together a set of instructions to follow allong with, though the only brick assurance I can offer is knowing we could get the Onda software on it. The point of what I was thinking was to try and recreate a stock ICS ROM. If you dont want to give it a try I can fully understand. Hard to risk breaking the new toy .
            A walk through would be cool, don't know if I'll get to hacking on it too soon if at all, it's supposed to be for my daughter's 16th B-day, though I might pick up a second one when I get paid assuming some will still be on the shelf in a few days! Though if just getting the IMG for the ppl who know what to do with it is the case and risk is low I might be able to sneak that task past the kid!

Comment

Originally posted by Nux View Post
              , didn't even realize till I got in the house that it was different. Box is the same the unit is the same etc... Turned it on and was like, huh? This looks different? Then at closer inspection I see a sticker on the box "Android 4.0".
              Oh man I'm kicking myself now. I just got my 701C the day before Easter. I'm almost positive they had the 701i then. This Big Lots stores stock in a glass display case. I remember seeing a different Polaroid 7 tablet model number but the boxes looked identical. I didn't know wtf the 701i was. I just knew the 701C sounded like a decent buy from the forum here and reviews online. I was trying to make sure I got the 701C...apparently so was the cashier at Big Lots.

I remember her going through the stack of about 10 polaroid tablets looking at the end of the box. I bet anything she was making sure I got the 701C since that was the one that happened to be advertised in the paper .

Comment

Update

I would think polaroid would set up an update for the 701c eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiserman View Post
                  I would think so too..but then again I wouldn't count on it since support for these seems to be pretty sparse. If polaroid doesn't do an update I'm sure someone here on the forum will find a way to get it for 701C users.

Since I got mine a day or two before Easter I'm considering trying to return it. The cashier made a point of telling me I had 30 days with the box and receipt. I feel the Netflix issue I have with it is justification enough. The manual even recommends it and it won't stream netflix using anything but a several version old app.

I also bought my 10 year old son a PMID4300 tablet the day before Easter for an Easter gift. That one has Froyos on it for the OS and it is a joke compared to the 701C. (I wasn't expecting much..but a lot of things are just painfully slow on it). I just might consider returning the PMID4300, giving him my 701C and buying a 701i if they still have them.
                  Last edited by SingleDad; 04-12-2012, 04:03.

Comment

Comparing the pics Nux posted...it is indeed the same darn tablet as the PMID701c as others have stated.(At least the specs shown are identical to those on the box of my 701C)

I'd love to know if the Netflix app from the market or amazon app store works well under ice cream sandwich. It definitely doesn't like to run for most of us on gingerbread 2.3

Nux...any chance you have Netflix and would be willing to see if the 701i runs it well?

Also, I'm an Android noob and this may be a stupid question, but does anyone know or have an opinion on whether this tablet would run faster with Gingerbread 2.3 or ICS?

It sounds dumb but I know some devices don't run as fast when updated to the latest and greatest OS. This looks like it has the specs to run ICS but I'm a noob. I'm also assuming ICS would be more of a memory and resource hog. I'd hate to go through the trouble of returning one of my tablets only to upgrade and discover it runs like a snail on ICS!
                    Last edited by SingleDad; 04-12-2012, 03:25.

Comment

It figures that as soon as i put the onda 610w ics on my 701c someone comes up with a 701i. Managed to get google play working but like a previous post said auto rotate is backwards so i unchecked in settings.
                      If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0

Comment

Just for fun

Since you have the Polaroid native 701i, would you do us a favor and download AnTuTu benchmark and run it to see what it is running at. I have a decent selection of benchmarks from them for the various firmwares we have run.

Now if you want to try AnTuTu CPU master to see if we can get a better core freqency so much the better. So far on all of the tests I have done I have been able to get it to 1.2Ghz, but not beyond. I cant ay as either of my tablets seem worse for wear because of it, but the usual warnings for overclocking do apply. So far the worst that has happened is I had to reboot. So long as you leave the little box UNCHECKED for apply on boot you should be fine. Totaly up to you.

Comment

Perhaps we should just start calling them

Tablets - Mobile Internet Device

United States

Phone: 1-877-768-8481
                          Email: [email protected]

Comment

If it is identical specification wise, one would think you could download the firmware update for the 701i when it comes available and install it on the 701c.

Or you could get a rom dump from the 701i and try to flash it to the 701c.

Comment

Tablets - Mobile Internet Device

United States

Phone: 1-877-768-8481
                              Email: [email protected]
                              Yeah I've already sent off an email DEMANDING..I mean asking...about a firmware update for 701C owners. I'm holding my breath

Comment

Working...
                              X