Polaroid PMID701i Andriod 4.0 Icecream Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c,lei View Post
    But apparently they feel it's not ready to be released going from what they said to you. I noticed that that they yanked an updated rom for the PMID700 and PTAB7200 tablets on the site with this message:
    Note: If you have installed version 2.5 and are experiencing any issues, please revert back to version 2.4
    Version 2.5 is no longer available.

Quite frankly I prefer this approach. If something's not right with it don't release it just to release something.
    And again..that was an updated firmware. By all means take time to make sure changes and updates are stable before you release them to the public. By all means make sure "version 2.5" is good to go before you release it. However, don't ship products with "version 2.4" installed when you aren't prepared to help the user restore "version 2.4" when something gets messed up.

While it's not really S.T.'s problem to support people who brick or otherwise screw up their tablet by modding and installing things that weren't meant to be installed it's also not that far of a stretch to expect something could go wrong with normal use.

You could unknowingly install a rogue/wayward app from the amazon app store they suggest to users. Browsing to a site that could cause you some problems isn't that far out of the realm of possibilities either. They should be ready to help consumers in this position WHEN the product hits shelves...not 6-8 weeks later.

I'm sure Bob isn't going to be happy with the thread going off topic...so I'll try to shut my trap now.

Comment

Very good point (about the fact there is still no firmware for the 701c either)... And you are right, I cannot think of a valid reason why they couldn't give me the existing image.

They said something about the devices were "written to" at the factory, not via a firmware install like we install it. Basically, that they are waiting on the image as well and as soon as they recieve it, they will post it. So, maybe they really haven't received the firmware in the correct format from the development people...

I'm trying to stay positive here! :-)

Of course, I can always return the device too... I reently bought a Hyundai A7 from China for $110 and it's bascially just as good, maybe less battery life though. So, it's not like there are not alternatives... Just none at a local retail store!

I actually urge EVERYONE that owns the device to call them and ask for the firmware - maybe if we complain enough, they will get sick of it and release it... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jtrosky View Post
        Very good point (about the fact there is still no firmware for the 701c either)... And you are right, I cannot think of a valid reason why they couldn't give me the existing image.

They said something about the devices were "written to" at the factory, not via a firmware install like we install it. Basically, that they are waiting on the image as well and as soon as they recieve it, they will post it. So, maybe they really haven't received the firmware in the correct format from the development people...

I'm trying to stay positive here! :-)

Of course, I can always return the device too... I reently bought a Hyundai A7 from China for $110 and it's bascially just as good, maybe less battery life though. So, it's not like there are not alternatives... Just none at a local retail store!
        Yes I'm sure they have to repackage things to make it usable and something that can be followed step by step by the average user. However...they still shouldn't be shipping out products they aren't ready to support. I'm sure there is also the cat and mouse game where they are trying to idiot proof things and also make it more difficult for modders to snatch up and readily start picking apart. The point is figure all this out BEFORE you let retailers start selling these by the case.

I wasn't trying to be negative to you jtrosky. I'm glad to hear you are staying positive. If I'm a little sour about this its because a certain someone in this thread (who I won't name) ISN'T very positive. Their first interaction with the forum was really pretty sour, condescending and quite honestly very rude. I've been trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...but the behavior continues.

Interesting because their rude and judgmental attitude,lack of common courtesy and absence of people skills are oddly familiar. Why they almost remind me of someone you might deal with in mid level tech support for an electronics company. I'm Just sayin'.
        Last edited by SingleDad; 04-24-2012, 18:49.

Comment

With the 701i - how to back up or image the unit.

I am not quite sure how to do it. Got Super One click to force the usb driver and I thought that would give me the ability or tool to create a rom image.

Do I now need to get the Android SDK for a Rom back up? Tried to use Rom manager but that did not want to work on the 701i even though Super One said it kswas already rooted.

Thanks. Maybe it is because I was using an XP computer and I have started to see issues with XP comps working with Android tabs - or is it just this tab?

Comment

quick queston

hi, im new to the site. i just had a quick question. is there a way to put a custom rom on the 701i. and if you knew where i could download them. i tried searching everywhere and can't seem to find any definate answers on how to do it and where to get the roms. thanks in advance.

Comment

After loading the Onda firmware, it seems that the Market only sees very few apps (for example, I don't see any Angry Birds free versions excpet for one). HD WIdgets says not compatible, etc.. I tried taking a build.prop for another A10 tablet that sees all apps, but even that didn't help!

Any ideas?

Thanks!
              I have that same issue with the market, even with stock firmware, angry birds is a good example, the only free one that shows up for me is seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by jimwallcft View Post
                In your setting, check the allow updates from google and give the unit time to update itself. Many of the problems people are having is trying to force the unit before it has had the opportunity to do what the OS does best if left alone.
                Where do I find this allow updates from google? I am looking but can't seem to find it. Thanks.

Comment

CURSES... I think?

So I got the weekly Big-Lots ad today(even though its the Sunday ad, we get it Tuesday), glanced through it and saw... A Polaroid with ICS!!! WHAT!?!? And to top things off the ad says 1GB DOR3 RAM!?!?! WHAT!?! Now I think this is the PMID701i, but this one has 1GB RAM, instead of 512MB. I think this is a misprint however, for 2 reasons, #1 I went on the Big-Lots website and it didn't say anything about 1GB RAM, #2 it should be DDR3 not DOR3. But I'm still angry because my brother's tablet isn't working right so he's exchanging his for this one My sister's and mine are working perfectly And it wouldn't really be honest to return them(even though the 30 day return date isn't up) So we'll just have to wait until SoTel comes out with the ICS update.

Comment

It's not dis-honest... The 30 day return period is for any reason, even if you just don't like it, or in this case, they released a newer version so quickly...

That being said, they keep saying the end of this week for the 701i firmware, which should work on the 701c, i bielieve...

Oh - the 1GB of RAM in the ad is a mis-print... It's only 512MB.

Comment

Polaroid PMID701i (Full Root Process)

Hello Folks... Good News !!

I have after a little digging managed to root fully.

This has been accomplished using a modified SuperOneClick and ES File Explorer. This means YES full superuser APK. I have fully packaged this and made simple as possible.

I will be sending a link soon or if one of the admins would accept this file and post their own link?

Also, Full process will be described..

Note: I need build.prop from pmid701c if anyone has get it to me stat!
                      I need this inorder to modify google play to show all apps with no filter.

Comment

build.prop

Finless already has a thread with build.prop for many devices. He wants more so everyone breakout your phones and tabs and share here...

Btw limez, your fancy font fantasy is a bit annoying.
                        Tip your Pitsaboi

Biglots 701c
                        Updated Google Play Store
                        Phone.old
                        Netflix v1.52
                        "windows using moron"

Comment

Just purchased this @ Big Lots for $99 - then I quickly broke it... :-(

I was messing with installing Market and I did something wrong so that every time I booted, the one-time setup came up. Problem is, as soon as I would touch the Android guym it would crash and restart! So, I was basically stuck... So, I called the company this morning to try and get the firmware image. I explained that my son had changed the PIN and I was locked out. He told me that the firmware "update" is not available yet. I said that's fine, I don't want an update, I want the current version. He kept saying that it wasn't available yet and that I was basically stuck. He said it "should" be out by the end of the week (hmm, where did we hear that before??).

I asked for a manager at this point, which he transferred me to someones voice mail. I left a message expressing my dissatisfaction. Even their own web site says that you can obtain the image if you lock yourself out! What BS - that's terrible support - I guess what do you expect for a $99 tablet, but it just makes no sense - obviously, the image exists since it was running on the tablet when I got it!

I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere (but I don't think I will). In the meantime, I installed the Onda V1 firmware, and it seems to be running fine...

What is the diff between Onda V1 and V5??

Thanks!

EDIT: Got a call back from the "manager" who said that the deivce has only been on the market for 2 days and that the firmware is simpe not available until the end of the week (hopefully she said)... What BS. I may take this back just on principal at this point...
                          Unless/until ST deems it appropriate to provide us with something that they should have had available before the first one of these units was sold, do the only thing you CAN do - TAKE IT BACK for exchange or refund.

A spike in these units being returned will get Big Lots' attention, and THEY'LL turn up the heat on ST to provide us with a solution. I hate consumer activism; otherwise, I'd contact Big Lots Corporate and clue them in on what's up, but I'll bet BL probably has software metrics on what's being returned that will send up a red flag sooner or later, without any of us needing to do that. However, I MUST admit that it HAS been tempting me.

Trust me, a national reseller like BL carries more weight with ST than we mere end users. Ultimately, it JUST MIGHT take that, but it's not THAT BAD. YET.

73 DE N4RPS
                          Rob
                          Last edited by N4RPS; 04-25-2012, 08:59.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidLimez View Post
                            Hello Folks... Good News !!

I have after a little digging managed to root fully.

This has been accomplished using a modified SuperOneClick and ES File Explorer. This means YES full superuser APK. I have fully packaged this and made simple as possible.

I will be sending a link soon or if one of the admins would accept this file and post their own link?

Also, Full process will be described..

Note: I need build.prop from pmid701c if anyone has get it to me stat!
                            I need this inorder to modify google play to show all apps with no filter.

Hello!

Pitsboi's right, but as a courtesy, I'll cut-and-paste mine, and PM it to you.

73 DE N4RPS
                            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Android_n00b View Post
                              So I got the weekly Big-Lots ad today(even though its the Sunday ad, we get it Tuesday), glanced through it and saw... A Polaroid with ICS!!! WHAT!?!? And to top things off the ad says 1GB DOR3 RAM!?!?! WHAT!?! Now I think this is the PMID701i, but this one has 1GB RAM, instead of 512MB. I think this is a misprint however, for 2 reasons, #1 I went on the Big-Lots website and it didn't say anything about 1GB RAM, #2 it should be DDR3 not DOR3. But I'm still angry because my brother's tablet isn't working right so he's exchanging his for this one My sister's and mine are working perfectly And it wouldn't really be honest to return them(even though the 30 day return date isn't up) So we'll just have to wait until SoTel comes out with the ICS update.
                              True. However, it isn't OUR fault that they seem to be having a problem with properly supporting this product. THEY are the ones who are responsible for us having no other choice but to return products that, most of the time through no fault of our own, start to develop firmware issues. WE find ourselves having to reverse engineer ROMs just to keep from having to wait on ST to get around to posting them. How acceptable is THAT?

THIS could be what the holdup is all about - again, putting something out there with possible bugs in it isn't on us, either. Some of you might perceive this attitude as my being unreasonable, but REALLY, folks...

At this time, WHAT OTHER CHOICES DO WE HAVE?

73 DE N4RPS
                              Rob

Comment

To be honest, I don't even think that returning the unit is a good option, depending on why you return it. For example, if you truly did lock yourself out with the passcode or something, I would not want to return a device loaded with personal info, even thugh it seems "locked out" - trust me, that data can ge gotten to!
                                It's just a bad situation a around....

And by the way, for the person that said that I had no business trying to install Market - why not? Does Polaroid say that I can't installl Market on this device? The device came pre-rooted, which means they gave me FULL access - why can't I load any apps that I'd like?

Comment

Working...
                                X