No announcement yet.

Polaroid PMID701i Andriod 4.0 Icecream Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, today's free Amazon App is "Photo Transfer App" which allows you to wirelessly move photos, videos and perhaps other files from your computer to the tablet via a browser.

Perhaps this is easy to do without this app but I found the app to be a worthwhile addition.

BTW, does the Google Market app crash on a fairly regular basis? I have been able to download a few things but it does crash after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Dartman View Post
      I'm just glad I got a unit that still has the video port but I am surprised they didn't just do a mini HDMI instead, probably not any more money to include it instead. I'm making a small HD video I like into all sorts of containers to see what it can and can't play. I can say it will not play WTV files but I don't think too many players can anyways, it will play DIVX files just fine as I have a bunch of those and it played a few.
      I'm really happy with mine for the money so far and I have compared the screen directly to my dirt cheap 7" Sylvania mini tablet that Big Lots also sells and this guy is way brighter and just looks way better, but I only paid 70 shipped for that one and it also plays most video files to my TV well. The capacitive touch screen is a treat after dealing with the resistive screen on the other one and the USB port works on my win7 64 PC just fine. It also will work with a SD card formatted as exfat and pretty sure NTSF though I haven't tried that one yet. I charged this one till it was full and it ran off and on from 7 am or so this morning and still had about 35 percent battery left at 3 or so. I think this one will one another fun ride to see how far it can go for what it is and am having fun playing with it, plus so far the WiFi has been rock solid on mine too. The Sylvania was fun to play with and got a few goodies like being able to root and play angry birds pretty well and this one seems much better.

I'm glad they *DIDN'T* include a mini HDMI port because HDMI really isn't what it's cracked up to be. The TV out this unit has actually makes it more flexible.You could basically run the output from it straight into a DVR if you wanted to. You can use the unit with older sets and devices that *don't* have a HDMI port, but do have the needed video/audio input jacks. Always remember, first and foremost, HDMI is really a very *NASTY* standard.

When you talk about the SD card formatted as exfat and maybe NTSF, are you talking about a card inserted into the mirco sd slot, or a usb flash drive hooked up to the USB port?

Comment

I'm talking about a card in the port, not the built in memory. I have a 16 gig here so I just saved what was on it just in case then formatted it to exfat and the tablet sees and uses it fine. My old Sylvania only wanted fat32 format, anything else wouldn't work so made it hard to save bigger HD video files to it. I agree the component is fine but for convenience with most NEW stuff HDMI is great if it works.
        I'm not trying to copy anything from it anywhere else and really old stuff probably wont even have component inputs.
        Since most all of my gear is now HDMI and it saves me from having to also hook up a separate audio cable it's actually worked out better then thought it would before I got newer gear that supported it. If I had my choice I'd have RCA, component, SVIDEO, and HDMI then I'd have any possibility covered, My media players have most of those covered and also have digital audio outs too.
        I thought I had a workable OTG cable but it wouldn't see any of my external big hard drives when I managed to find a adapter to plug it in to the mini port and I haven't tried my 8gig usb flash drive yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mgrankin View Post
          Hi I am in Columbus Oh and picked up 2of the I's at the BL located at 5419 Robert Rd. They both have the video jack.
          Hello!

I bought one Saturday, and it, too, has the video out jack. You can get a second cable, 3.5mm male to 2 male RCAs, for the audio. Haven't done a lot with it yet. Shawn wants me to dump the ROM out for him, so I'll have to do THAT before I do very much more.

The girl who rang it up bought one herself. I told her about Freaktab, and of the perils of setting a password right now. We just might see her here soon.

I'm gonna go a second 701i tomorrow - for my mother. My brother wanted to buy her an iPad, but told him that for what one of THOSE go for, I could get FIVE of these. THAT shut him up FAST!

73 DE N4RPS
          Rob

It sure is good to be back in 4-land again! That's why I've been using N4RPS/3 the last 10 days or so...

Comment

Originally posted by avgary View Post
            FWIW, today's free Amazon App is "Photo Transfer App" which allows you to wirelessly move photos, videos and perhaps other files from your computer to the tablet via a browser.

Perhaps this is easy to do without this app but I found the app to be a worthwhile addition.

BTW, does the Google Market app crash on a fairly regular basis? I have been able to download a few things but it does crash after a while.
            Hello!

Thanks for the heads-up on the free app. I got on there just in time to snag myself one.

73 DE N4RPS
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by avgary View Post

Isn't this idea the same as the already free proven utility 'dropbox'?

Not knocking a free app though...

Comment

Nothing wrong with dropbox but this app allowed you to "send" a file directly to the tab like two computers networked together.

With dropbox, you have to upload and then download - 2x the time than going direct.

Of course dropbox and skydrive - with their nice cloud-based slideshow - work great when you are out of your house.

Also today on Amazon app, the full OfficeSuite Pro 6 is available for 50% off - $7.50. Polaroid tab only has the free OfficeSuite viewer.

Comment

Columbus

Originally posted by mgrankin View Post
                  Hi I am in Columbus Oh and picked up 2of the I's at the BL located at 5419 Robert Rd. They both have the video jack.
                  Hey mgrankin,
                  Looks like they are getting closer to us. I've still not seen one accept on Freaktab here. Not many 701C around either now. Looks like Polaroid may have a hit on their hands.

Rich
                  "It's full of stars!"

Comment

Columbus

Oops double post.
                    Last edited by vrocko; 04-23-2012, 20:47.
                    "It's full of stars!"

Comment

second pmid701i just picked up. Still in box. Who wants to tell me how to dump this stock ics rom?

sent from my pmid701i running onda 4.0 v5

Comment

Originally posted by N4RPS View Post
                        Hello!

I bought one Saturday, and it, too, has the video out jack. You can get a second cable, 3.5mm male to 2 male RCAs, for the audio. Haven't done a lot with it yet. Shawn wants me to dump the ROM out for him, so I'll have to do THAT before I do very much more.

The girl who rang it up bought one herself. I told her about Freaktab, and of the perils of setting a password right now. We just might see her here soon.

I'm gonna go a second 701i tomorrow - for my mother. My brother wanted to buy her an iPad, but told him that for what one of THOSE go for, I could get FIVE of these. THAT shut him up FAST!

73 DE N4RPS
                        Rob

It sure is good to be back in 4-land again! That's why I've been using N4RPS/3 the last 10 days or so...
                        I finally got one of myn 701i's rooted (stock rom - kernal) and it seem to be pretty smooth around 1152mhz if i push it to 1200 and do a lot of surfing the web it shuts down after a while. At 1152-interactive the battery life is not the greatest but again for the price there is not a lot you can complain about!! That being said, I would love to disable the hard buttons on the top of the tab, seem they are always getting pushed I had the same problem with my Gtab and finally found out how to disable them. If anyone has any ideas please let me know....thanks in advance!!

Comment

I got a 701i last week and have mostly used it stock. The 701c hints in the other thread worked fine, so I have the full "Marketplace" for example. I cannot get the Phone.apk deinstalled or renamed, but I assume I am just being dumb.

Screen is dimmer than I'd like, and the resolution is not great compared to some devices.

Buttons are dumb. So raised I sometimes put it to sleep by accident, and the others are just stupid. Volume buttons would be a better investment in that hardware.

ICS is in many ways stupid, but that's not Polaroid's fault, and it's the coming thing, so whatever.

Better speaker than iPad 2/3, nice size, good touch response. Like the texture even, and while the inset screen is boring/ugly, it sure does keep it safer. Screws and the model number sticker make it look cheap from the back.

It can get slow when running a lot of apps, notably when doing an install marathon. If you have a dozen things queued up downloading and unpacking, it gets bad. But, nothing I have seen is worse than a mid-powered handset sized device running 2.x OSs. The worst it ever does is hang, and when you get the message it's un-stuck and you can carry on.

Really weird behavior with WiFi. This is on a dozen networks, as I was traveling so had hotels, conference centers, airports, aircards and home. It likes to forget there is WiFi when coming out of sleep. Trying to fix this via the control panel destroys the wifi system, so you must restart. Sometimes, waiting a few minutes it just fixes itself, but I generally find that cycling wifi through the control widget works in a few seconds. Still, wish it was better behaved; makes it hard to use as easily as an ad hoc internet device, as you have to fuss with it before browsing. I'd love to find a fix for this. Someone suggested keeping WiFi from sleeping, but I cannot find that setting on ICS. Not where I expected it under Advanced WiFi.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostfayce View Post
                            Home hides the recovery screen
                            menu scrolls up
                            back scrolls down
                            power selects highlighted item.

Curious to see if there is away to replace this with cwm touch
                            Well I just tried this with my problematic I tablet and it DID fully erase and reset everything back to stock The regular factory reset wouldn't touch all the goodies and user account info I had put in and installed and if I end up taking it back because it wont power down properly I sure don't want all my info out there. All my info is now gone, it still is ICS, and the programs I deleted that I don't use that came with it stock are back too. The demo photos are still gone and it appears it still doesn't shut down right but now it's 99.9 percent back to stock with no user data at all, it even gave me the welcome screen with all the here's how to do stuff when it rebooted and the time and everything are like when I first fired it up.
                            I'll play with it some more and see if the normal factory reset now tries to work, if it does it's closer to right except for the power issues, if not somethings still screwy but at least it will be a virgin return.
                            I think ya might want to add that to a sticky so others that have hosed their tablets or are having issues clearing it out the normal way can give it a shot.
                            OK, the factory reset in system settings now works too, If I knew what was up with the power button restarting rather then powering down I'd probably keep it now but don't want to take the chance there's something going on that may come back to bite me later when I don't have a exchange or refund option. If anyone has any suggestions on the power issue I'd give it a shot, too late to run down and exchange now anyways and I still have my almost 30 days.
                            Last edited by Dartman; 04-24-2012, 04:59. Reason: more info

Comment

The more I read about this, the more I want it. Seems like a really good investment for $99, something to play with, not something that would ever replace a laptop or anything, but it seems like a cool thing to play with. Especially with the tv out, etc.
                              Polaroid PMID701i 13
                              Stock Rom from S.T.'s site
                              Fully rooted
                              Google's Market installed

Comment

Greetings 701i with ICS users

Okay some I'm new here so I first want to say thanks for 1st exposing me to this awesome deal at Big Lots. They have these out here in California. So I picked one up. Cashier almost gave me a 701C but I told her I wanted the one with Ice Cream Sandwich and she didn't know what the hell I was talking about. But lucky for me, another cashier did.
                                Total cost out the door was $107.

So I got what I wanted. The only thing is, I can't get it to be seen by google play. I don't know how to root or anything so I figured I would just search for a .apk file that would get me there.

I found this.
                                icon-bell-o Play Store APK Updated Below are the most recent versions of Play Store: [posts-by-tag tags = “google-play-apk” number = “5”] We just found a new version of Goog…

I was thinking that if I loaded it into my Tablet then I'd get access to the store. I got access. It sees my device now under orders and devices but, anything I download and get confirmation for downloading in Google Play...DOES NOT SHOW UP in downloads for apps on my 701i.

When I first loaded it, I was able to see that I downloaded that .apk file. I then went to google play in my browser and it saw my device. I then changed the name from Unknown to Polaroid 701i. But then it kept saying google play must be stopped. I have no choice but to stop it.

I then choose to load apps, I hit the green INSTALL button, but it kept asking me which do I want to use, google play or browser. I have the option to make one default. I wasn't sure about google play since it kept wanting to be stopped. So I chose browser. It loads the app according to google play,I then see an INSTALLED but the app doesn't show up at all in either apps or downloads in my Polaroid.

I'm debating of resetting back to factory default. Do you guys think that that is what I need to do?
                                I will patiently wait for a reply. I'm glad I found this board and thanks in advance.

ttango1

Comment

Working...
                                X