Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Nextbook Models for 2014 (Quad Core RK3188)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Nextbook Models for 2014 (Quad Core RK3188)

It looks like Yifang / eFun / Nextbook is switching back to Rock Chip boards:

I found a page on the Nextbook website today for the upcoming 8 Inch NX785QC8G which identifies it as having a Quad Core RK3188 (instead of an Amlogic chip like the previous series, and Android 4.2.

http://www.nextbookusa.com/productdetail.php?product_id=19

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

And my WalMart (in Desloge, MO which is about 75 miles S of St Louis) have them as indicated in the photo taken today. It's not the highest quality photo, which was taken by my 2MP camera on my phone, but it does the job. WalMart does not have listed on their website yet for sale online since that store just got them in today, but I will let you know when they do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0424140957-00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	433618

EDIT: They were $99 like the other tablets. And I believe RRiley and a couple others can help you with the Rockchip rom stuff if you want to learn.
    NEXTBOOK NX700QC16G Rooted with updated firmware to allow 13GB App Space

Comment

Originally posted by RosaFang View Post
      And my WalMart (in Desloge, MO which is about 75 miles S of St Louis) have them as indicated in the photo taken today. It's not the highest quality photo, which was taken by my 2MP camera on my phone, but it does the job.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6326[/ATTACH]
      This is the first I've heard of them in the wild... how much were they?

I'm still not sure if I'm going to get one or not... don't know if I want to stick with Nextbook and learn a new chip type, or move to a different brand with a quad core amlogic chip...

ShaunMT
      Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
        This is the first I've heard of them in the wild... how much were they?

I'm still not sure if I'm going to get one or not... don't know if I want to stick with Nextbook and learn a new chip type, or move to a different brand with a quad core amlogic chip...

ShaunMT
        Check my edit in the above post. I think you are going to like this.

Comment

Yeah... at that price, I'll look at my local wal marts this weekend...
          Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Did you get one?
            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Did you get one?
              I didn't have the money at the time, but I may be getting one when I get paid next week. Also, my sister may be getting one soon after I claim the other one under the extended warranty for a cracked screen.

I'll keep you posted and probably post a build.prop for it when I get one.

EDIT: The link is dead above. I believe this is the correct link for the tablet in question.

Diese Website steht zum Verkauf! nextbookstores.com ist die beste Quelle für alle Informationen die Sie suchen. Von allgemeinen Themen bis hin zu speziellen Sachverhalten, finden Sie auf nextbookstores.com alles. Wir hoffen, dass Sie hier das Gesuchte finden!
              Last edited by RosaFang; 04-25-2014, 01:36.

Comment

I didn't have the money at the time, but I may be getting one when I get paid next week. Also, my sister may be getting one soon after I claim the other one under the extended warranty for a cracked screen.

I'll keep you posted and probably post a build.prop for it when I get one.

EDIT: The link is dead above. I believe this is the correct link for the tablet in question.

http://nextbookstores.com/productdet...?product_id=19
                There is supposed to be a 10 inch quad core model also... you didn't see any of those did you?
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

There is supposed to be a 10 inch quad core model also... you didn't see any of those did you?
                  I didn't see any from Nextbook, just some from RCA that based on the RK3188T processor. Sorry!!

Comment

I didn't see any from Nextbook, just some from RCA that based on the RK3188T processor. Sorry!!

Yeah, I saw those too... they looked like a good deal with the bluetooth keyboard case included, but I didn't like the form factor they used... It's long and narrow... it's the same width as a common 7 inch tablet, but longer than an Ipad.

I like the size ratio of the common 8 inch models, and would prefer to see a 10 inch that was more ipad sized.
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Well guys, I just receive one of these new tablets today for my sister to setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0426141335-00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	433629

So far I can tell you a couple of things that are different with this tablet straight off from the previous tablets that I have own with them.

1. Charges via microUSB, no separate DC jack required
                      2. microHDMI instead of miniHDMI
                      3. Android 4.2.2 instead of either 4.0.4 ICS or 4.1.1 JB
                      4. Boot animation is now a grey screen with the NEXTBOOK logo on than previous animations with the sunflower and such.
                      5. Cydia won't root this since it apparently has been patched for the master bug. If someone would know how to root this, I would appreciate it.

UPDATE: Got it rooted using the Kingo Root App. Now to find out how to moun the system so I can get the build.prop off of it, assuming the file system is ext4 for RK3188 devices.

Plus here's the cat /proc stuff I got when I did this.

Code:
                      root@android:/ # cat proc/mtdcat proc/mtd
                      dev:    size   erasesize  name
                      mtd0: 00400000 00004000 "misc"
                      mtd1: 00c00000 00004000 "kernel"
                      mtd2: 00c00000 00004000 "boot"
                      mtd3: 02000000 00004000 "recovery"
                      mtd4: 04000000 00004000 "backup"
                      mtd5: 08000000 00004000 "cache"
                      mtd6: 3fc00000 00004000 "userdata"
                      mtd7: 00400000 00004000 "metadata"
                      mtd8: 00400000 00004000 "kpanic"
                      mtd9: 60000000 00004000 "system"
                      mtd10: 12a000000 00004000 "user"

More updates to come!!
                      Last edited by RosaFang; 04-26-2014, 21:20.

Comment

I'm getting one. I think I know how to root it...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

I just posted the build.prop for it over in the build.prop thread located here

Enjoy!

EDIT: I also have boot, kernel, recovery and system backed up using online nandroid backup tool. I'm going to try to get the other parts we will need for a stock ROM of this here soon.

Comment

I just posted the build.prop for it over in the build.prop thread located here

Enjoy!

EDIT: I also have boot, kernel, recovery and system backed up using online nandroid backup tool. I'm going to try to get the other parts we will need for a stock ROM of this here soon.
                            Awesome news! I didn't think the online nandroid backup tool worked without root...

I am now 100% sure I can root this, make a custom recovery, then make flashable root and custom ROM packages for it. (We won't be able to boot from SD card on these.)

I suspect these will be easy to upgrade to an AOSP style KitKat too. (Unless they are still using UBIFS or some other funky file system that is hard coded into the kernel.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Awesome news! I didn't think the online nandroid backup tool worked without root...

I am now 100% sure I can root this, make a custom recovery, then make flashable root and custom ROM packages for it. (We won't be able to boot from SD card on these.)

I suspect these will be easy to upgrade to an AOSP style KitKat too. (Unless they are still using UBIFS or some other funky file system that is hard coded into the kernel.

ShaunMT
                              I got it rooted using Kingo Root App. then did the magic with Online Nandroid Backup. I should be able to dd the rest of the stock stuff. We will see.

Comment

Working...
                              X