Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATED - NEW - Jynxbox M6, Mygica TV420, Geniatech TV500 - Finless ROM 1.4

UPDATE - Feb 21 2104.
    My ROM is now updated to version 1.4a. This fixes the Jynxbox remote mouse mode button issue.

Link below is updated for 1.4a

Enjoy,
    Bob

Hey folks!

So I got this Jynxbox M6 a few weeks ago and started to mess with it. This is a AML8726-MX based box so I figured this would not be too hard and should be like the Prometheus I did... NOT!
    There was no stock ROM anywhere nor was there much known about it. When I looked at the MTD partitions it was totally different than any AMLogic ROM I had done before. Later I learned that this box was the same as the Mygica TV420 and the Geniatech TV500 which did have ROM downloads available. As I started to mess with those I found none of the tools I had for AML ROMs worked on this. With a lot of study, hacking around and a little help from JDfense and ShaunMT, I started making progress. Bottom line this is a totally new MTD format and other parts are also different like boot.img, recovery, etc. In fact how this thing boots is totally different than previous AML devices I have had!!!!!

Anyway it was a lot of fun learning this new box and format and I finally completed my first ROM. This ROM is based on the latest Mygica release dated 9/20 Overseas. FYI based on taking apart all these ROMs including a ROM dump I did of my M6 (which would not reflash) they are all made by Geniatech!

OK on with the show!

If you download this, please read my READ ME supplied in the zip file!
    There is a LOT of important info in this readme which you should read before flashing as well as instructions and notes!

Features and release notes for my 1.4 ROM.

1) Rooted with an updated SU and Superuser.apk.

2) I have updated the Google Play and framework to the latest version.
    You should have no updates needed when you first logon to google play!

3) I debloated all the junk apps and launchers! I like a CLEAN ROM to start with.
    However, I give you all these available in the hidden partition I enabled (see below).

4) This new ROM format had a 69MB "backup" partition that was not being mounted after boot.
    What was in here were all the bloat APPs that would auto install on first boot after a ROM flash.
    I disabled all that and mounted the partition so you can access it.
    After first boot go to the file manager APP. Run it and click up a level twice.
    You will see a folder called protected_nand_disk
    Look in here and you will see all the APPs that were installed before.
    Feel free to install what you like.
    I also added Pro Apps for you (ES File explorer, Android terminal, Busybox installer).
    Again none of this installs automatically so you can install them as you like.
    Oh and, I mounted this hidden partition as RW so feel free to delete and add whatever you like here.
    It is protected from a "factory reset" and erase so anything you put in here will always be there.

5) As always, I added full init.d support!
    If you do not know what that is... ignore it.
    For geeks that want to use it. It is there!
    To set it up, install busybox from Google Play or from the protected_nand_disk as I put it there too.
    Boot.img has been edited to automatically setup init.d once the new busybox is installed.

6) Again I removed all the trashy launchers and added the standard AOSP launcher.
    However as above I give you all those launcher to install if you like.

7) I Fixed the ugly default wallpaper for the stock launcher.
    I hope you like my basic carbon fiber look better?
    To me it looks better on a TV screen.

8) Phone carrier fix for Google Market unlock (more APPs show up).
    For some reason this was not built in like other stock ROMs.

9) Build.prop edit to open up the Google Play store to APPs that normally say "not compatible".
    I am spoofing a Samsung device that will show almost any APP as compatible.
    Your device will now NOT show up as a stvmx device to Google Play anymore!
    It will show up as a GT-I9300.
    Understand this please.
    I also left the original build.prop in the ROM called build.orig.
    If you want to go back, just use ES FIle Explorer or a root file explorer and rename build.prop
    to build.old
    Then rename build.orig to build.prop.
    Go into settings, apps, all and go into the Google Play app. Clear the cache and data.
    Reboot!
    Please also note about this change! The update APP will no longer work!
    It checks for stvmx device name and thus wont work with GT-i9300 name.
    Again to change that use the original build.prop as explained above.

10) Other performance tweaks I usually do to my ROMs.

Finally.... SPEED is what I am about. I think you folks will like this ROM for that reason!
    I think this is the most tuned ROM I can make at this time.

Here is the ROM download link:

ROM -> Jynxbox M6, Mygica TV420, Geniatech TV500 - Finless 1.4a ROM (283 megs)

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Last edited by Finless; 02-21-2014, 22:04.
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Hey Congratulation, Bob.
    You have it finally accomplished this beast of an amlogic based firmware.

I hope some people will have fun with your hard work.

JDfense

Comment

Very nice work. I will test this ROM as soon as possible and I am excited to see just how good you have made it. Amazing im sure

Comment

Hi Bob

Will this rom work in my generic OEM device?

My cat /proc/mtd

Comment

Originally posted by tranceyard View Post
          Hi Bob

Will this rom work in my generic OEM device?

My cat /proc/mtd
          I don't think so. Your partitions are different.

Bob

Comment

Top man Bob - well done

Just waiting to get an M6 for testing etc. Will then be able to compare it with my G-Box MX2. Wonder which will be the best?

Cheers
            Last edited by jellywobbles; 01-07-2014, 19:42.
            Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever

Comment

This is by far the fastest and best ROM made for the M6 of all the ones I have tested. Had some issues getting a mouse to be recognized to control it easier but after that then it ran through every test I used and did 1080p mkv without as much as a hint of lag and was over WIFI with the M6 being about 15 feet from my wifi router. XBMC runs perfect, apps install without issues and the browsing within the settings is more fluent and faster.

Kudos on a great job to you Finless :-)

Comment

Thanks! I spent a lot of time on this ROM both learning and applying what I know

How do you like the protected_nand_disk I gave you allowing use of hidden space?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                  Thanks! I spent a lot of time on this ROM both learning and applying what I know

How do you like the protected_nand_disk I gave you allowing use of hidden space?

Bob
                  Havent gotten around to look at that. And just to answer a question asked in an earlier thread then I use the latest daily build of XBMC ARM which I then set up with expert settings.
                  Only problem I seem to have is that I cant find my SMB folders anymore. UPNP works but SMB list is empty but works on my WDTVLive so should not be a network issue. You tried this feature?

Comment

No I did not try that myself as I don't have SMB shares to test with.
                    Did it work on the stock ROM?

Bob

Comment

No I did not try that myself as I don't have SMB shares to test with.
                      Did it work on the stock ROM?

Bob
                      Yes it has worked with Geniatech ATV400 and ATV520, Mygica and the stock firmware. Can only get UPNP to find my drives and share them that way but UPNP is a bit slow compared to SMB. Checked the 'secret' folder and very nice done. Should just be updated with newer XBMC as it is 12.2 Frodo and I think 12.3 Frodo or newest nightlie is best as they also offer the option to run 3D content
                      But I will go through my network and make sure its not a bug in my network settings that causes the lack of visible SMB folders.

Comment

I have now tested my SMB folders using my WDTVLive, My Jynxbox A1 Linux and by running XBMC on my computer and they all find the SMB folder which are shared from my FTP. I will try to look into it a bit more as I have noticed that your Finless ROM dosent seem to have smb.xml, shares.xml and samba.xml files with the correct information which then results in the box being unable to find the SMB folders. Also a smbpasswdfile.xml with following I found from an AMLogic forum regarding the 8726 cpu. Does this make any sense to you:

<sambaarameter name="smb passwd file" type="string" context="G" advanced="1" developer="1"><description><para>This option sets the path to the encrypted smbpasswd file. By
                        default the path to the smbpasswd file is compiled into Samba.</para><para>
                        An example of use is:
                        <programlisting>
                        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
                        </programlisting></para></description><value type="default">${prefix}/private/smbpasswd</value></sambaarameter>

Comment

I did not remove any XML files from the stock ROM. Mine is built from the Mygica TV420 ROM dated 9/20 "overseas". However I did remove some APPs and junk that seemed to do nothing and I could not figure out what they were for and figured it was junk left over (which always seems to be in ROMs). Sometimes they can be "tricky" and rename stuff that might truly be needed. But when I see APP processes that seem to do noting I usually clean up that crap.

This is the link to the stock firmware I built this off of.

Steaming your favorite TV shows, movies or sporting events with MyGica excellent media players, 4k Android tv boxes, HD digital television receiver tuner stick

Maybe try that and see if it works? If not then I will pull apart a ROM that does work and try to use things from it. Can you give me a link to a firmware that for sure SMB works. I will look to see what I can find.

Bob

Comment

hi finless can you please check this and let me know your thoughts?

Comment

I did not remove any XML files from the stock ROM. Mine is built from the Mygica TV420 ROM dated 9/20 "overseas". However I did remove some APPs and junk that seemed to do nothing and I could not figure out what they were for and figured it was junk left over (which always seems to be in ROMs). Sometimes they can be "tricky" and rename stuff that might truly be needed. But when I see APP processes that seem to do noting I usually clean up that crap.

This is the link to the stock firmware I built this off of.

Steaming your favorite TV shows, movies or sporting events with MyGica excellent media players, 4k Android tv boxes, HD digital television receiver tuner stick

Maybe try that and see if it works? If not then I will pull apart a ROM that does work and try to use things from it. Can you give me a link to a firmware that for sure SMB works. I will look to see what I can find.

Bob
                              Okay I have found out that the problem is also in the Mygica firmware you linked to. But in the Mygica firmware I can see the SMB folders in the Network app and add them and play content. That dosent work in your ROM but the Mygica has the SMB problem in XBMC also but your ROM has the problem both in XBMC and in the Network App. So in XBMC it seems the problem migrated to your ROM but why the Network app dosent work in your ROM I have an idea about but I am no way sure it is relevant. But your ROM dosent have a Samba.opex file in system/app folder but the Mygica does. You could try to open that opex file and see if you can find something that might be relevant. My best suggestion atm.

Comment

Working...
                              X