Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ROM] Mecool M8S PRO+ Stock & Nano Nexus ROMs (Android 7.1)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for this and all your support of this little tiny wonder box
    Last edited by plazomat; 11-30-2017, 19:41.

Comment

With 1/8 it is running if u dont load too much apps.
      even so openelec with default skin is fast as hell.
      for both many thaks to Magendanz

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I've always thought that 1GB was too tight for Nougat. We're actually seeing boxes selling now with 4GB DRAM, which is probably past the point of diminishing returns...but is a hell of a way to futureproof your media player.

Thanks Magendanz - works very well on the 1/8 box, only running youtube and SPMC in a spare room.

Does all I need and don't really notice any difference from the rom running on my 2/16 box.

For the record I used the "Burn" package with the AMlogic tool.

Plaz

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know!

Hello, I have one of the latest M8S Pro+ without reset button. I flashed the OTA nano version in the OP with the update app and everything is fine. Now trying to flash another OTA image but I'm stuck in TWRP where it asks me if I want to change partitions, no way to move the mouse cursor with the remote! Tried with a wired USB mouse, both of the ports, but it is not recognised as well (plugged in before starting the update app so before botting in TWRP as well). What can I do?
      Thanks!

EDIT: tried with another mouse and it's working! The one not working was a MS mouse
      Last edited by Giulio; 12-02-2017, 16:24.

Comment

Hello Magendanz, thanks for your work. I received my box (2/16GB) from Gearbest and the firmware is (NHG47L 20170919.150557.V0619) and no reset button, is my box safe to flash the Nano variant ROM?
        Which method is better, with amlogic burning tool or with local update? The zip file for flashing is better copied in sd card or to usb flash?
        Thank you for your time!

Comment

Originally posted by xxxarxas View Post
          Hello Magendanz, thanks for your work. I received my box (2/16GB) from Gearbest and the firmware is (NHG47L 20170919.150557.V0619) and no reset button, is my box safe to flash the Nano variant ROM?
          Which method is better, with amlogic burning tool or with local update? The zip file for flashing is better copied in sd card or to usb flash?
          Thank you for your time!
          I have your same box, I did with the update app and worked fine. The ziipped file in your microsd

Comment

I received my box (2/16GB) from Gearbest and the firmware is (NHG47L 20170919.150557.V0619) and no reset button, is my box safe to flash the Nano variant ROM?
            Yes, we haven't had any eMMC problems with the new units that don't have a reset button.

We devs prefer the burn package because there are fewer things that can go wrong. It automatically includes a data wipe and environment checks are done in the u-boot binaries, and so the burden isn't on us to do it in script. That said, if you don't have a reset switch, flashing via USB is a PITA (at least until VideoStrong fixes USB auto-detection). If you remember to check Data Wipe, using the Update app to do a local update with the .zip file is fine...and you can even do it without a USB keyboard or mouse.

Either an SD card or USB flash drive should be fine for local updates using the update app. Both should show in the list when it searches for .zip files.

Comment

Hi again, i tried for flashing nano rom with zip file in sd card via update app. The box stuck it in mecool logo on screen. Unplug it and swich on normaly. After this i downloaded reboot app from aptoide, tried to enter to recovery but the box stuck again to mecool logo. Unplug it and turn on again. What i make wrong?

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, if you got the Mecool logo there was a problem with installing the update. If it was successful, you'd see a "nexus" logo. If you're not able to boot into system or recovery at this point, you're stuck flashing via USB Burning Tool. Do you have a reset button on your device (behind right front grill next to LED)?

Download links not working for me.

*** Update - Being very slow tonight and all is working fine. Can't wait to try.

Comment

Originally posted by bylderup View Post
                Nano Version

btw idle temp as seen in Kodi for Android : 44 Degrees C. Device vertical on Wall
                Venting up, or down and to r.h. Side? ... Up would be most the effective thermal exodus. Yes?
                Kris....don't forget my boxes! Okay?

Comment

Please forgive the question. I've been lurking the forums and finally have Nougat on my TX8 (GT1 ATV 7.1.2, q201-AP6255) and TX5pro (u2+ ATV 7.1.1, p212-qca9337).

I understand that this firmware is for p21x reference board and tried it on the TX5 but it boot-looped (USB burning tool is all I use). Took awhile to comprehend the u2+ stock is for p212 and that is okay. Found the links where Magendanz did the heavy lifting to do a proof of concept for the p212 and also why it isn't currently feasible to build a cfw for it (missing sources or different gfx chip).

Currently my TX5 on u2+ says: "M8S Pro+-userdebug 7.1.1 NMF26Q 20170715-093046.V0321"

It seems like there's a minefield of nougat firmwares with the designation M8S Pro+.

Is there an easier way to tell the difference between a p212 and p21x firmware before actually flashing it? Something in the version strings like V0321 or V0619 (NMF26Q and NHG47L are OS IIRC).

Do I need to try OTA updating from now on (would think it should check version compatibility)?

Thank you for your attention.

Edit:
                  Thanks Magendanz for being brilliant.

Using information you've provided I extracted some images to look at the vendor ids:
                  Code:
                   amlxtract M8S_PRO+-NMF26Q-20170815.182813.V0321.img
                   dtc -O dts -o meson1.dts -I dtb meson1.dtb
                   cat meson1.dts |grep -i amlogic-dt-id
                      amlogic-dt-id = "gxl_p21x_1g";

amlxtract U2+p212_V0321_Nano-20170730.img
                      amlogic-dt-id = "mxq_g9x_1g";

amlxtract MINIMXIII-II_V0321_TVStock-20170730.img
                      amlogic-dt-id = "mxq_g9x_1g";
                  Still kinda clear as mud as to why the g9x_1g is p212 compatible while the p21x_1g appears to be p21x. Fun to play with, though.
                  Last edited by noabody; 12-08-2017, 16:34.

Comment

When I first saw the q20x and p21x for ro.product.board, I thought that VideoStrong may have had special reference boards created by Amlogic, but I soon realized that wasn't actually the case. These are just standard Amlogic q201 and p212 reference boards, and there's really no reason that you shouldn't be able to migrate their firmware to any device based on that hardware. As you discovered, the bootloader is looking for a specific device tree ID (amlogic-dt-id) based on its DRAM config and a string template that the OEM hard codes in the bootloader. Most just leave the default ("{ro.board.platform}-{ro.product.board}-{1g/2g/3g}", e.g..gxl-p212-2g), but VideoStrong decided to use their own (gxl-p21x-2g) as did some Shiningworth OEMs (mxq-g9x-2g). Ultimately, it only matters that the bootloader finds a device tree by that ID, but you can mix and match the boot and system partitions pretty safely. (That's not to say that it will successfully boot, but you're not going to brick the box.)

Just to really throw a twist in the works, the S905W SoC reference board has been designated p281. However, VideoStrong's products (M8S Pro W, etc.) have ro.product.board=p21x like the M8S Pro+, which is really wrong. The device tree ids (gxl-p28x-2g) don't match the reference board designation.

Comment

LOL, what a nightmare.

I realized my faux pas after the post. Here I'm trying to get the manufacturer's designation from a customized firmware that has already been mixed and matched in who knows what way.

Might work with a stock rom built right from the source. Pretty sure the hash on that u2+ fw matched the one from your proof of concept.

Your talents will be known far and wide, though credit may fray along the fringes.

Comment

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep, that was one of those mix-n-match deals. It worked as a proof of concept, but I didn't have a kernel with the kernel modules to support the other wireless chipsets. There are more options for Nougat on S905X now, so I might give it another try after the holidays.

I know this was asked somewhere, but canĀ“t find it atm.
                      I have bought a standard csr4 bluetooth dongle.
                      Runs fine with libreelec booting from sd card.
                      Can you add bluetooth support in this android rom ?

Since I flashed your Rom I start the device moreoften with android. With bluetooth support it would be perfect and the SD card could be used to extend Memory.

Comment

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, I'm a heavy Bluetooth user (remote control and headphones), and so I've been looking for a way to enable this on the M8S Pro+. So far, however, I haven't been successful. I've not given up yet, though.

Hi all,

The nano rom is perfect lite weight install only what ya like - not sure if this is a ROM or Noughat thing..

Is there any way to have a self hiding status bar at the bottom of the screen..I know my MX3 lollipop box has one..

I enable it from settings, not sure if it self hides, but if you reset box it disappears and has to be enabled again.

The nano rom is perfect lite weight install only what ya like - not sure if this is a ROM or Noughat thing..

Plaz

Comment

Guest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, and it's really what the OEM does in SystemUI (and supporting framework services). I prefer the Shiningworth approach, where you can dismiss it with the chevrons but then drag it back up from the bottom edge.

I'm working on a Shiningworth release for Amlogic p212 reference board (S905X), which may also work for the M8S Pro+.
                    Working...
                    X