• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBMC / Kodi on Linux/RK3288

SEE FOR MY LATEST RELEASE:
    http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...ckchip-devices

MY OLD RELEASE:
    Finally, here it is: Kodi on linux/rk3288!

Had to be really careful not to break my last rk3288 device (two died in the process, making it all an even more time-consuming job!). But I made it (for now)...

Images can be downloaded at: http://www.mac-l1.com for the following distributions/ devices:
    - ubuntu 14.04/trusty for firefly
    - ubuntu 14.10/utopic for ugoos UT3S
    - debian jessie for radxa rock2 (if started: first "sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2" in a shell and then continue with Step 2) below

Pick the one for your device and flash it the usual way. Kodi 14.2 can be started from the menu or from terminal.

Have fun! And of course:
    If you like it, feel free to donate!

Cheers --

Mac

BEWARE: kodi is started as root/ superuser with all root privileges, so be careful!

TNX to: memeka for his hints & code; Tom from radxa, Ava and Eugene from ugoos for their support; mo123 and peba for testing. And all who donated with paypal (really TNX)!

---
    HOW TO INSTALL IT YOURSELF (on a debian based linux)

Step 1) DISABLE FBCON - make sure that framebuffer console (fbcon kernel module) is not started in kernel
    a) either use a kernel that does NOT have fbcon builtin, can be done by building kernel with CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=n in kernel configuration file
    b) or simply put "fbcon=vc:64-63" in the parameter file of your image, just after "CMDLINE:". As is done in the following example:
    "CMDLINE:fbcon=vc:64-63 vmalloc=516M console=ttyFIQ0 console=tty0 init=/sbin/init root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rw rootwait initrd=0x62000000,0x00800000 mtdparts=rk29xxnand:0x00010000@0x00016000(boot),-@0x00994000(linuxroot)"
    This can be done on an already linux-installed device using rkflashtool for linux to read/write parameter file (see http://radxa.com/Rock/flash_the_imag....28Advanced.29) or AndroidTool for Windows (read: advanced tab->export image,start=0,count=2, change the parameter file, write: flash it again using download image tab); or use a pre-configured image file.

ADDED 2015/10/13: JUST ANOTHER WAY TO DISABLE FBCON
    C) You can also try my fbconify script on github (https://github.com/mac-l1/fbconify.git). Should be able to update both bootable SD cards and internal flash partitions. Run from a terminal started on your rockchip device. Works at least on my firefly.

Step 2) INSTALL MACHYBRIS using a shell:
    Code:
    wget http://mac-l1.com/machybris-0.1.0_armhf.deb
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg -i machybris-0.1.0_armhf.deb
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo reboot
    Step 3) INSTALL MACKODI (only pick/wget the one .deb file suited for your distrubution)
    Code:
    wget http://mac-l1.com/mackodi-14.04-trusty-0.1.0_armhf.deb # only for ubuntu 14.04/trusty!
    wget http://mac-l1.com/mackodi-14.10-utopic-0.1.0_armhf.deb # only for ubuntu 14.10/utopic!
    wget http://mac-l1.com/mackodi-jessie-0.1.0_armhf.deb # for debian/jessie!
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo dpkg -i mackodi*.deb
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Should work now... Have fun!

---
    RELEASE NOTES

Release image file basically consists of 3 parts:
    * original img file from manufacturer (firefly/ ugoos/ radxa) with minimal adaptation in the parameter file
    * installation of libhybris (machybris-0.1.0.deb)
    * installation of kodi 14.2 (mackodi-*-0.1.0.deb)
    machybris package
    * mix of original libhybris (for Android EGL/GLES), ubuntu libhybris (for Android media service), some patches and my additional vpu code (for Android rockchip on2 and vpu libs)
    * Android EGL/GLES and X11 working side by side, no interference
    * Android media service start on start-up (both init and systemd)
    * includes header files and libs usable for application developers (/usr/local)
    mackodi package
    * based on original xbmc helix code
    * linked with libhybris
    * Android HW accelerated video decoding based on memeka's code
    * Android EGL/GLES working in kodi based on Owersun's code
    Last edited by MAC_L1; 11-13-2015, 11:42.
    Support my work to make you a better multimedia experience...
    And Donate...

Great work!

So people will be able to build their own Kodi with patches from your github?
    Also will be able to install simple deb package to update machybris, if there is perhaps an update?
    I wonder if OpenElec will be possible, but still prefer full Linux system.

Do you perhaps know if libhybris will also work with new PowerVR 6110 GPU on new RK3368 TV Boxes?
    But first need a linux image, don't know if that will exist yet or PowerVR can even work on Linux at all since I don't see any drivers on their website.
    Will have to wait the next 2 weeks when boxes are shipped.

There is now a patch for 23.976fps stuttering problem on Android, don't know if it will help with Linux Kodi also?

When you say your devices are damaged, is it hardware related or if software related then I can maybe help with a solution.

Comment

Will this work on Tronsmart R28 pro? Trying the ugoos version, everything seems to install fine .. boots to android?
      Edit: Noticed the different config files, gonna try again.

Comment

Originally posted by gffmac View Post
        Will this work on Tronsmart R28 pro? Trying the ugoos version, everything seems to install fine .. boots to android?
        Edit: Noticed the different config files, gonna try again.
        On shutdown menu, choose 'Switch System'
        Then in Linux, use the 'Reboot to Android' icon on the desktop otherwise you will always boot back to Linux.

Comment

Tried the linux only and dual boot configs. Enabled auto ethernet setting then loaded up kodi and tried a test video: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...15.57.29-1.mp4
          Should I expect it to be at least as smooth as android? Also notice the audio stuttering. 720p seems to be a bit better.

Thanks for your hard work MAC_L1
          Last edited by gffmac; 07-19-2015, 17:39.

Comment

Quick question, does the linux only install allow for more local storage?

Comment

1+

Comment

Originally posted by gffmac View Post
                Quick question, does the linux only install allow for more local storage?
                Yes, it uses the full 16/32 GB as space.

Comment

great news!
                  one question. what about audio passthrough? Does it works?

Comment

Originally posted by chvb View Post
                    great news!
                    one question. what about audio passthrough? Does it works?
                    Need to update the Android firmware to v2.0.8 through settings for passthrough to work on all receivers.
                    Since the Linux Kodi also use Android drivers it might work, otherwise a new Linux kernel needs to be compiled with passthrough support.

Someone please test passthrough then I will create a new ROM if it works.
                    Also test 1080p 23.976 videos in Kodi Linux(might not work smoothly but need feedback).

Comment

thank you for your answer.
                      I've got the orion r28. Kodi doesn't run well for me with passthrough.
                      When i install the latest SPMC with support for the rk chips, passthrough is working, but there is only a black screen when using a tvheadend backend.
                      I hope this solution will work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by chvb View Post
                        thank you for your answer.
                        I've got the orion r28. Kodi doesn't run well for me with passthrough.
                        When i install the latest SPMC with support for the rk chips, passthrough is working, but there is only a black screen when using a tvheadend backend.
                        I hope this solution will work for me.
                        For Android passthrough need to use SPMC.
                        Do you use SPMC 15 beta 2 posted in XBMC thread on freaktab, it is the latest, not the one on Play Store.
                        SPMC will be merged with Kodi maybe this week, then everyone can use official Kodi builds that are more up to date.

Comment

i think there was only the beta1 and there are no pvr clients in this beta of spmc.
                          I think i have to wait for the implementation in Kodi next days. I read about this the last days.
                          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
                            Great work!

So people will be able to build their own Kodi with patches from your github?
                            Yep. Once you know the trick, it's quite easy...

Also will be able to install simple deb package to update machybris, if there is perhaps an update?
                            Yep. Will put my release deb packages to download coming week...

I wonder if OpenElec will be possible, but still prefer full Linux system.

Do you perhaps know if libhybris will also work with new PowerVR 6110 GPU on new RK3368 TV Boxes?
                            But first need a linux image, don't know if that will exist yet or PowerVR can even work on Linux at all since I don't see any drivers on their website.
                            Will have to wait the next 2 weeks when boxes are shipped.
                            Was thinking the same thing about the RK3368. Basically it should work on most recent Android devices. However besides linux itself an Android SDK is needed. Android EGL/GLES would work almost for sure, video decoding probably too - if proprietary libs are kept low-level.

There is now a patch for 23.976fps stuttering problem on Android, don't know if it will help with Linux Kodi also?
                            Wonder what the patch looks like? Do you have a link or so where I can find some more info?

When you say your devices are damaged, is it hardware related or if software related then I can maybe help with a solution.
                            Both are development boards with those tiny microusb-otg-port to flash. As I flashed a lot, these ports broke (one literally fell off)... Let's just say I am a software guy, and hardware is not my thing...
                            Support my work to make you a better multimedia experience...
                            And Donate...

Comment

Hi
                              How can I change the screen size to fit my Tv on the Linux version?

Comment

Working...
                              X