No announcement yet.

NEW - MK908 Finless 1.8 ROM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this improve the wifi on mk908 v5? Mine doesn't have an external antenna and the wifi isn't working too well.

Comment

AW: NEW - MK908 Finless 1.8 ROM

Originally posted by hamid. View Post
      Does this improve the wifi on mk908 v5? Mine doesn't have an external antenna and the wifi isn't working too well.
      Disable bluetooth and position it so that the case faces direction to your rooter. Wifi is quite picky on these devices and does interfere with bluetooth a lot unfortunately...

Comment

where to get kernel sources for this ROM and .config?

I need XFS!

Comment

installation?

Probably stupid question, but how to install/update this new ROM without any another PC? I downloaded .zip file, but can't figured how to use it without PC. Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by MagyG View Post
            Probably stupid question, but how to install/update this new ROM without any another PC? I downloaded .zip file, but can't figured how to use it without PC. Thanks for any advice.
            You cant.

Comment

I installed this on my mk908III using the 1080 kernels but the output is still only 720p. Does anybody else have this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by mustafaupk View Post
                I installed this on my mk908III using the 1080 kernels but the output is still only 720p. Does anybody else have this issue?
                Am assuming you mean MK908II (haven't heard of a III). I understand you want to use the ROM in the MK908II thread instead of this one.
                MK808B+ (4) | Tronsmart MK908 (2) | Unbranded MK908
                Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Asus TF300T (2) | LG Spectrum (2) | Archos A5H | Archos 43

"Never try to teach a pig to sing;
                it wastes your time and annoys the pig."
                – P. G. Wodehouse, Robert Heinlein, Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by inforiculturist View Post
                  Am assuming you mean MK908II (haven't heard of a III). I understand you want to use the ROM in the MK908II thread instead of this one.
                  No there is a v3 version. I opened my case and saw MK908 v3 written on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by mustafaupk View Post
                    No there is a v3 version. I opened my case and saw MK908 v3 written on the board.
                    True, but that is still an MK908, not an MK908II (or MK908III), which is a different unit. So, this is the right ROM for your MK908 device. I also have the v3 board MK908 like you and this ROM worked just fine on it. Although, the first one I got from GB (many moons ago) died during flashing, and they replaced it after we couldn't revive it.

I did see a MK809III on GB but it's a different chip (3066). There was also a v5 board for the MK908, I understand, and just received one of those (yesterday) and will be installing this ROM on it shortly (by tomorrow).
                    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Asus TF300T (2) | LG Spectrum (2) | Archos A5H | Archos 43

Comment

Originally posted by inforiculturist View Post
                      True, but that is still an MK908, not an MK908II (or MK908III), which is a different unit. So, this is the right ROM for your MK908 device. I also have the v3 board MK908 like you and this ROM worked just fine on it. Although, the first one I got from GB (many moons ago) died during flashing, and they replaced it after we couldn't revive it.

I did see a MK809III on GB but it's a different chip (3066). There was also a v5 board for the MK908, I understand, and just received one of those (yesterday) and will be installing this ROM on it shortly (by tomorrow).
                      Why the hell would anyone still order that stick? There are better devices on the market for about the same money that are still getting updates. Even the mk908II is more stable and has kitkat support. The mk908 is stuck with what it is now, no stock updates, no custom roms.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeFx View Post
                        Why the hell would anyone still order that stick? There are better devices on the market for about the same money that are still getting updates. Even the mk908II is more stable and has kitkat support. The mk908 is stuck with what it is now, no stock updates, no custom roms.
                        Perhaps because I'm an idiot (some might agree).

Or perhaps because the one I have works just fine, seems quite stable for what I use it for, is the same as the other one I have making it easier to maintain, and also because it was cheap.

However, perhaps instead, you could enlighten us quickly as to best choices for sticks that are in the price range mentioned for these things, which is found rather easily for about $50-55 US, and I obtained my last one for less than that. I'm ready to be enlightened for quick, easy, cheap, and very solid. While I am certainly a hobbyist and tinkerer, for this I'd rather just put it to use. And the fact that it works and I don't have to load an updated ROM and then reinstall and reconfigure everything is somewhat of a selling point, too. I did poke around a little bit before finding a new one but wasn't finding what you said, nor do I need the kitkat enhancements, except perhaps the RAM/memory management part. It's also unclear as to whom makes the best stable roms (besides Finless). It'd be nice to have a comparison chart somewhere, otherwise I have to spend a lot of time going through it all myself, like I did before. And the new Freakbox just released is essentially the same device. But I remain open to options, but until the RK3288 becomes very solid and stable and the price comes down (currently 2-4x), I'm okay with this solution.

FWIW, I also still use an Archos A5H which is still back on donut. :-) But it works, it works great, and it has a 500GB hard drive which allows me to carry most of my music collection in a lossless format (70% of which isn't available on those cloudy places on the internet). (I'm a DJ at a local community radio station). I also tried other streaming players including Sony's, WDTV Live, and Popcorn Hour before I found these stick devices, which is certainly the future (especially for those willing to do just a little bit of effort). I don't know why folks buy those TVs with limited smarts, except they don't want to do these flash exercises. And while I contribute to community projects, this isn't likely one that will hit my contribution radar, so I'll be much more just the user.

That's it in a nutshell. So, hopefully I'll find some solid advice on the next best thing beyond the MK908 (and MK908II). I do understand the new RK3288 chips are much faster, so Blu-Ray run thru those things could be a better experience, but quite new, more expensive and not yet completely stable, although for the most part the MK908 handles BR fine and my BR collection remains relatively light still.

Comment

While i dont think you are an idiot at all, i would have advised you to better get a mk908II if it was not for the kitkat rom, then at least for its external wifi antenna and the way more stable firmware.

For me my mk908v3 works somewhat stable except for the wifi, which disconnects several times a day and sometimes needs a reboot to even reconnect. Also i can not use wifi together with bluetooth, which is also an annoyance to me.

Comment

is this rom meant for the 3066?

Hi folks,

I'm a real noob when it comes to this stuff.

I recently got a (second hand) MK908 RK3188 quad core stick and I'd love to flash a good custom rom on it so I downloaded this one because of Finless' good reputation.

When reading the parameter files I came across the line "MACHINE: 3066" in all of them. Does this refer to the RK3066 chip? If so, is this rom suitable for my stick?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Zignature View Post
                              Hi folks,

I'm a real noob when it comes to this stuff.

I recently got a (second hand) MK908 RK3188 quad core stick and I'd love to flash a good custom rom on it so I downloaded this one because of Finless' good reputation.

When reading the parameter files I came across the line "MACHINE: 3066" in all of them. Does this refer to the RK3066 chip? If so, is this rom suitable for my stick?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                              This rom is most likely suitable for your stick, please before flashing check the imprint on the pcb board, it should state netxeon MK908v[x] where x could be 1,3 or 5 afaik. The reference to the rk3066 is most likely due to similar partition layout and thus reuse of the parameter file.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeFx View Post
                                This rom is most likely suitable for your stick, please before flashing check the imprint on the pcb board, it should state netxeon MK908v[x] where x could be 1,3 or 5 afaik. The reference to the rk3066 is most likely due to similar partition layout and thus reuse of the parameter file.
                                Thanks a million FadeFx. As soon as I find the time I'll check it out

Comment

Working...
                                X