X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• racerant
    replied
    usb 2.0 question

Do you think that usb 2.0 will be enought to play large 4K files on this rk3288 chipset? Did anybody tested it ? Rk3288 and mali t764 is powerfull but it seems usb 2.0 will cause some problems for large 4k files.

Leave a comment:

• no_spam_for_me
    replied
    Originally posted by oggielerr View Post
    well, so as far as the t764 performance, after we know its a t760 with 4 cores (although the t76x series is adoptable to up to 16 cores - really cant realize why they made it "only" 4 cores), what do you can say about its performance in compare to the powervr ETC. latest competitors GPUs?
    Someone calls it "core" other one calls it "shader"...
    Someone say a "core" is the same as a "shader", other one say a "core" can have multiple "shader"...

So I have no idea how they count...

I only know e.g. one mips chip at SAT-Receiver they also mix "core" and "shader" but they use less "core" then "shader" but count the "shader" as "cores"...

Leave a comment:

• oggielerr
    replied
    finally answer that really make sense

Originally posted by Javimetal View Post
    Hi, I have been talking with Rockchip people again, this time asked about the Mali T764.

This is MALI T76X SERIES

ARM adopted the name T760 unstead T76X

About Rockchip's MALI T764:
    The meaning of that "4" is related to the FOUR CORES.

Another company can use, as example, "MALI T768" for an OCTA CORE GPU.

Max. is 16 units.

As soon as Rockchip IC design guys reply about the "A17 mystery" I will let all of you know more.
    well, so as far as the t764 performance, after we know its a t760 with 4 cores (although the t76x series is adoptable to up to 16 cores - really cant realize why they made it "only" 4 cores), what do you can say about its performance in compare to the powervr ETC. latest competitors GPUs?

Leave a comment:

• Javimetal
    replied
    Hi, I have been talking with Rockchip people again, this time asked about the Mali T764.

This is MALI T76X SERIES

ARM adopted the name T760 unstead T76X

About Rockchip's MALI T764:
    The meaning of that "4" is related to the FOUR CORES.

Another company can use, as example, "MALI T768" for an OCTA CORE GPU.

Max. is 16 units.

As soon as Rockchip IC design guys reply about the "A17 mystery" I will let all of you know more.

Leave a comment:

• Shomari
    replied
    Originally posted by yric37 View Post
    To Finless.
    The Measy B4S is a single stable working RK3288 tv box from all received in Russia till now. There is a last stock FW
    ...the latest compatible stock firmware was released 09/11/14; the one you linked is 08/27.

The Cloudnetgo CR12/13/16, Bluetimes QPRO and Measy B4S are all identical, they use the same board and can run the same ROMs/kernels.

Leave a comment:

• yric37
    replied
    Measy B4S

To Finless.
    The Measy B4S is a single stable working RK3288 tv box from all received in Russia till now. There is a last stock FW

It would be nice to make your custom ROM as 1.2 for Beelink.

Leave a comment:

• Seattletruth
    replied
    besides that, dont you think its a bit unprofessional not to list that model in any of the official sites manufacturing that gpu?
    something here smells a bit fishy IMO.......
    Well the thing is ARM doesn't manufacture the GPU, they just sell the intellectual property to whoever wants to license it. If they created a customized GPU for Rockchip, and didn't plan on selling it to the public, then it makes sense that it wouldn't be listed on their website. So if that's the case, its not that fishy.

Leave a comment:

• oggielerr
    replied
    Actually i really hope you wrong ;-)

Originally posted by Seattletruth View Post
    Thanks Ravi! Glad to know you are hounding them for an official statement.

I am still very curious about the strangeness of the officially non-listed mali-t764 gpu. Sorry for the rambling, but here is a possible hypothesis:

After looking at the Mali site, it shows that the t760 *is* compatible with the cortex a12. Go here and click on the related products tab: http://www.arm.com/products/multimed.../mali-t760.php

It's worth noting that while the cortex a7, a8, a9, a12 and a 50 series are mentioned as compatible IP, the a17 is not, although this is probably because they kept the a17 hush-hush until the start of the year, and forgot to update the site listing. I strongly suspect that the a17 is actually compatible.

The important thing here is that even if this chip DOES turn out to have the a12, it's still possible that it has the t760 series gpu.

It's totally possible that arm slightly modified the GPU in some way specifically for rockchip, which would give it the 764 distinction. It sounds crazy that arm would modify something just for little ol' Rockchip, but the 2 companies have had a very intimate relationship, leading up to what basically amounts to their marriage at the end of last year.

Arm Newsroom contains the latest press releases, partner and Arm-related news and social media from the industry leader in microprocessor Intellectual Property.

The gist I get from the deal is that ARM was nervous that barely anyone would use their Mali gpus (especially the high end series). Most companies have moved to other IP licenses for graphics, with the exception of Samsung (who has steadily been shifting to qualcomm).

Actually, unless I missed the announcement of a new hisilicon chip, i believe the new exynos 5433 and the rk3288 are the only 2 chips in the world that licensed the mali-t760 line. If rockchip had decided to go to PowerVR, and if Samsung decides it's not worth their money to design their own chips anymore, the high end Mali line would eventually die. So arm was just a little worried about the future...

To guarantee that at least ONE big chip maker stays with the Mali line, arm offered Rockchip a sweetheart deal. What's basically been going on is a bidding war to see who gets to sell to rockchip. ARM locked in a lifetime subscription deal. But even more recently intel came in and made an even sweeter deal, on the cpu side of things. But it sounds like Rk will stick with the Mali gpu even when they go intel...

So it's not absurd to thing ARM might have slightly modified the t760 to better fit the needs of Rockchip, because they are desperate to keep them as a licensee, yielding the separate model number. It would make sense that it's not listed because the IP for this chip wouldn't be available to purchase by other companies.

It's also possible that the chip is using a modified cortex a12, which isn't quite the same as the 17 either. It seems as though rockchip might get special treatment because of their intimate relationship to guarantee the future of the Mali gpu.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me...

You guys have a guess?
    Firstly, thank you guys for trying to answer, i didn't realized it will be that difficult, i came across this forum couple of weeks ago & i must say this is the most educating and alive forum I've visited in and I'm here to stay :-)
    regarding the a12 a17 issue i really hope you wrong and it is pure a17 cpu and not a12, besides that, dont you think its a bit unprofessional not to list that model in any of the official sites manufacturing that gpu?
    something here smells a bit fishy IMO.......

Leave a comment:

• Seattletruth
    replied
    Thanks Ravi! Glad to know you are hounding them for an official statement.

I am still very curious about the strangeness of the officially non-listed mali-t764 gpu. Sorry for the rambling, but here is a possible hypothesis:

After looking at the Mali site, it shows that the t760 *is* compatible with the cortex a12. Go here and click on the related products tab: http://www.arm.com/products/multimed.../mali-t760.php

It's worth noting that while the cortex a7, a8, a9, a12 and a 50 series are mentioned as compatible IP, the a17 is not, although this is probably because they kept the a17 hush-hush until the start of the year, and forgot to update the site listing. I strongly suspect that the a17 is actually compatible.

The important thing here is that even if this chip DOES turn out to have the a12, it's still possible that it has the t760 series gpu.

It's totally possible that arm slightly modified the GPU in some way specifically for rockchip, which would give it the 764 distinction. It sounds crazy that arm would modify something just for little ol' Rockchip, but the 2 companies have had a very intimate relationship, leading up to what basically amounts to their marriage at the end of last year.

Arm Newsroom contains the latest press releases, partner and Arm-related news and social media from the industry leader in microprocessor Intellectual Property.

The gist I get from the deal is that ARM was nervous that barely anyone would use their Mali gpus (especially the high end series). Most companies have moved to other IP licenses for graphics, with the exception of Samsung (who has steadily been shifting to qualcomm).

Actually, unless I missed the announcement of a new hisilicon chip, i believe the new exynos 5433 and the rk3288 are the only 2 chips in the world that licensed the mali-t760 line. If rockchip had decided to go to PowerVR, and if Samsung decides it's not worth their money to design their own chips anymore, the high end Mali line would eventually die. So arm was just a little worried about the future...

To guarantee that at least ONE big chip maker stays with the Mali line, arm offered Rockchip a sweetheart deal. What's basically been going on is a bidding war to see who gets to sell to rockchip. ARM locked in a lifetime subscription deal. But even more recently intel came in and made an even sweeter deal, on the cpu side of things. But it sounds like Rk will stick with the Mali gpu even when they go intel...

So it's not absurd to thing ARM might have slightly modified the t760 to better fit the needs of Rockchip, because they are desperate to keep them as a licensee, yielding the separate model number. It would make sense that it's not listed because the IP for this chip wouldn't be available to purchase by other companies.

It's also possible that the chip is using a modified cortex a12, which isn't quite the same as the 17 either. It seems as though rockchip might get special treatment because of their intimate relationship to guarantee the future of the Mali gpu.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me...

You guys have a guess?
    Last edited by Seattletruth; 09-14-2014, 20:09.

Leave a comment:

• jlunse
    replied
    Re: The latest news about RK3288

I know its a bit unrelated to the subject, sorry for that.
    it seems i cant find anything regarding the true specs of the t764, i cant find this model under the value "mali" on wiki, it shows only the t760, also, its missing from "arm" website.
    can some1 please explain the difference.

thank you!
    Good question! It's really difficult to find any specifications about mali-t764. Is it the same as mali-t760?

Leave a comment:

• oggielerr
    replied
    Whats the difference between mali t760 & 764?

Originally posted by Javimetal View Post
    Well, I have been talking with Rockchip guys again. Already transfered this question (A12-A17) to the IC design team.
    Hope a reply bynext week.

I know its a bit unrelated to the subject, sorry for that.
    it seems i cant find anything regarding the true specs of the t764, i cant find this model under the value "mali" on wiki, it shows only the t760, also, its missing from "arm" website.
    can some1 please explain the difference.

thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Javimetal
    replied
    Well, I have been talking with Rockchip guys again. Already transfered this question (A12-A17) to the IC design team.

Hope a reply bynext week.

Leave a comment:

• Javimetal
    replied
    Originally posted by jlunse View Post
    So, we have A17, since GPU is a T764?
    Or do I missunderstand?
    Those are the specifications of RK3288, so it must be A17 + T764

Leave a comment:

• jlunse
    replied
    So, we have A17, since GPU is a T764?
    Or do I missunderstand?

Leave a comment:

• rrileypm
    replied
    Re: The latest news about RK3288

Originally posted by jlunse View Post
    Seriously, I bought a Pipo P1, can anyone explain in detail what RK3288 CPU, GPU...I have?
    Rockchip, Pipo, anyone with some trustworthy knowledge what did I buy?
    The P1 is Pipo's 9.7" tablet with the new Rockchip 3288 processor.

The CPU has 4 cores.

The GPU is a Mali T764 quad core.

It comes with 2gb of RAM and 32gb NAND flash memory.

Is that what you need to know?

Just Google "Pipo P1 specs" and you can get more details.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X