Rooting a Nextbook NX700QC16G?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rooting a Nextbook NX700QC16G?!?!?!?

HELP!!!! I got the new Nextbook tablet and have been all over the web looking for a way to improve the app memory. Out of the box, a "16G" tablet only has 823M available for apps and the rest is partitioned into OS and internal storage of about 14G. I need more room for apps!!!! Anyone have a way to redo the partition on this device. As far as I am concerned, it came bricked! THANKS!

Originally posted by grace917 View Post
    HELP!!!! I got the new Nextbook tablet and have been all over the web looking for a way to improve the app memory. Out of the box, a "16G" tablet only has 823M available for apps and the rest is partitioned into OS and internal storage of about 14G. I need more room for apps!!!! Anyone have a way to redo the partition on this device. As far as I am concerned, it came bricked! THANKS!
    Haven't seen this model yet. Changing the partition sizes requires a custom ROM.

The device will need to be rooted. The stock ROM will need to be dumped, unless Nextbook provides an update. Then we'll need to work on a custom ROM.

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

ShaunMT, what do I need to do to make a custom ROM possible? I love the speed and features of my tablet, but I hate that I cannot put more than 10 apps on it. I got it because it was advertised as 16G. I would LOVE my tablet if I could access 16G instead of 823 M. Please help.

Comment

ShaunMT, what do I need to do to make a custom ROM possible? I love the speed and features of my tablet, but I hate that I cannot put more than 10 apps on it. I got it because it was advertised as 16G. I would LOVE my tablet if I could access 16G instead of 823 M. Please help.
        Nextbook hasn't provided a firmware download for this new model, so we would need to dump a copy of the firmware from each partition of the tablet, which means, we probably need to root it first.

Kingo Root should work unless it has Android KitKit version 4.4.2 or higher, in which case I don't know of any working root methods that don't require a custom ROM.

The only alternative is trying to dump the partitions using one of the RK flash tools. There are several versions available and I don't know how all of them work. The only one I use is a Unix only version.

Then I'll need to try to make a custom recovery and custom ROM for it.

I'm still working on a custom recovery and ROM that can change the partition sizes on the 7.85 inch 8GB version.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Manage application memory until root

I also purchased the tablet. It is equipt with Android 4.4.2 with Linux kernel 3.4.67 (Jul 20, 2014). The internal memory is partitioned to system 1Gb, application 1Gb and Data 12.3Gb emulating a SD Card. I do not think you can root it at this time. Maybe in the future.

However there are things you can do to manage the application memory, Some apps that come with this device can be removed or disabled. Some apps can move parts of themselves into the Data memory. I have loaded 20 apps on mine and have 380 megabytes of application memory free. A app called "Clean Master" can help you out. I am using it.

Get rid of vudu and use Flixster. Don't have a nook account then get rid of the app. Do you need Net Nanny? The Google apps are mostly all in app memory and cannot be uninstalled but there are things you can do. Are you using Google newsstand, play games, voice command, live wallpapers, Google movies, google books? You cannot uninstall these but you can erase the cache and data memory for the app. Then uninstall the updates for the app. Then disable the app. You will find that it will now take up very little room. Go to settings-apps then look for the app you don't want.

Add apps that move most of their space into data memory. That way you can make the most of the space you have.

I figure this will get me by until I can root this device.
          Last edited by Peter03102; 09-29-2014, 19:41.

Comment

Peter03102, thanks for that help. I am debating keeping this one or getting something else. I have a couple of weeks to decide. Does Flixster use less memory than Vudu? I have already uninstalled Net Nanny and Nook, but did not know about disabling the Google apps.

ShaunMT, the tablet is KitKat and Kingo does not work. Already tried that. About how long until a root might be available? I have the option to exchange for another device right now, but it would not have the speed or memory of this one.

Thanks!
            Grace917

Comment

Peter03102, thanks for that help. I am debating keeping this one or getting something else. I have a couple of weeks to decide. Does Flixster use less memory than Vudu? I have already uninstalled Net Nanny and Nook, but did not know about disabling the Google apps.

ShaunMT, the tablet is KitKat and Kingo does not work. Already tried that. About how long until a root might be available? I have the option to exchange for another device right now, but it would not have the speed or memory of this one.

Thanks!
              Grace917
              Vudu is 3 times bigger and no moving some of it to data memory. Flixster is smaller and some of it can be moved to data memory. For ultra movies they do the same thing. But if you have TV shows in vudu then ...

I also disabled html viewer, music visualization wallpapers, bubles, goggle drive, face unlock, black hole, cloud print. Clean Master app tells you some of the effects of disabling a particular app.

As to keeping the tablet. It is up to you. I figure a lot of these tablets will be sold. The operating system and linux kernal are too new for rooting. But I figure that will change. Note that rooting will void tha warranty. Which is 1year parts and 90days labor.

On the other hand having more application memory means you can add more apps and bigger apps. And you don't have to shuffle as much. The thing with having a data partition acting as a flash drive is that you can plug it into a pc as a drive without a data card. I just wish the application partition was bigger. Like 10Gb for data and 3.3Gb for application.

Good Luck Peter

Comment

The only way I currently know of to root a KitKat 4.4.2 tablet is by installing a pre-rooted ROM, but I can't make one without an official firmware or a dump of all the device partitions.

ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

ShaunMT, how long does it usually take for the official firmware to become available and how can a dump of all the device partitions be done? I would be willing to do whatever it takes to improve this tablet. I really want to keep it, but improve the partitioning so I can do what I want with it.

Grace917

Comment

ShaunMT, how long does it usually take for the official firmware to become available and how can a dump of all the device partitions be done? I would be willing to do whatever it takes to improve this tablet. I really want to keep it, but improve the partitioning so I can do what I want with it.

Grace917
                    Nextbook never provides official firmware for most of their products. Only one of their products in the past 3 or 4 years has had an official firmware download available. I think only 3 or 4 products in their history has had an official firmware download available. We usually have to a device owner to dump the partitions from their own device so we can create a non-official modified firmware.

You can find some threads here in the forums about how to dump the partitions.

ShaunMT
                    Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

ShaunMT,

All of the ROM dumps I see require a rooted device and I have not found a way to root this device. HELP!!!!!!!! I am wiiling to help this process, but I need help, too.

grace917

Comment

ShaunMT,

All of the ROM dumps I see require a rooted device and I have not found a way to root this device. HELP!!!!!!!! I am wiiling to help this process, but I need help, too.

grace917
                        What OS version came on that model? (Check the version number under About tablet in Settings app)

ShaunMT
                        Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

ShaunMT,

I don't know if this is helpful, but this link has specifications. http://nx700qc.blogspot.com/2014_09_01_archive.html

grace917

Comment

ShaunMT,

I don't know if this is helpful, but this link has specifications. http://nx700qc.blogspot.com/2014_09_01_archive.html

grace917
                            According to the linked article, it shipped with Android 4.4.2.

I don't know of any working root exploits for Android 4.4.2.

It should be possible to use one of the rockchip PC flashing tools to backup the partitions though. With a copy of the stock partition dumps, I could probably create a pre-rooted ROM.

ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

Comment

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post

It should be possible to use one of the rockchip PC flashing tools to backup the partitions though. With a copy of the stock partition dumps, I could probably create a pre-rooted ROM.

ShaunMT
                              I am new to this process so could you tell me where to go to get the information? I found several pages, but they are too technical for me to understand. Could you walk me through the process in nontechnical terms, please?

grace917

Comment

Working...
                              X