No announcement yet.

Rooting a Nextbook NX700QC16G?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well after the battery finally bit the dust on my NX785QC8G through a bad flashing process and several attempts at charging the device to no avail, I used my Walmart warranty during the Thanksgiving holidays, got the refund, and bought this (NX700QC16G) tablet for $59 on Wednesday with another 2 year ADP plan for $28 (for accidental damage that NextbookUSA won't cover). I got it today thanks to rush shipping with FEDEX and I have to say i'm very pleased. After getting the drivers to install, I immediately updated the firmware for the huge app storage. and got it to root with Kingo 1.2.7 (that took several minutes though).

I was going to try iRoot but my browser (Chrome) keeps blocking it, saying it was malicious. Anyway, this is a good bargain considering there's no back camera (most people wouldn't need that anyways) and HDMI port (that would have been nice so I could plug this in to my Sanyo 32" TV, but alas). Love that it have bluetooth so I will probably be getting a bluetooth keyboard for it in the near future as well as a PS3 controller for games that can use it.

Overall I'm happy with this, I am thinking about buying one for my sister, even if they're $79.
    Last edited by RosaFang; 12-06-2014, 02:54.
    NEXTBOOK NX700QC16G Rooted with updated firmware to allow 13GB App Space

Comment

Since Kingoroot works when my tablet finally shows up I'll probably take that path to root it. Sadly I chose site to store shipping when I ordered my tablet and I regret that decision now since its 5 days late and the weekend .

Comment

Originally posted by Zwoss View Post
        Since Kingoroot works when my tablet finally shows up I'll probably take that path to root it. Sadly I chose site to store shipping when I ordered my tablet and I regret that decision now since its 5 days late and the weekend .
        Never...Never...Ever... use WM ship to store during the holiday season...

They lose that stuff all the time... it only goes on a WM truck if they can fit it in with whatever else is already on the truck... then it may or may not get checked in on arrival to the store... then it may end up at customer service for pick up or it may end up in temporary storage (usually a semi trailer outside)... sometimes it just plain disappears...

Sometimes, even if you receive the notice that it is available for pickup, they still can't find it... I lost a Black Friday deal on a 50in TV once because they couldn't find it even though I was sent the notice that it was ready for pickup...

In off seasons, ship to store is great, but don't do during the holiday season...

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Well to be honest I figured at the time since Christmas was more then month away (I ordered it on Nov 13th) it shouldn't have been a problem and Don't even say that about the TV I actually bought a 50in TV on black Friday.

Comment

Personally, I'm waiting for the official driver.zip update. I don't feel comfortable downloading files posted on a dropbox like account. I don't get what's taking them so long.

I there a good place to discuss which accessories to use with this tablet?

Thanks

Comment

Just to be clear

I havnt Ordered My Nextbook7" 16g yet. i plan on doing that tonight. but i just want to be clear that downloading apps is no longer a problem? all i have to do after getting my tablet is go to nextbookusa and download the update?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesRay757 View Post
                I havnt Ordered My Nextbook7" 16g yet. i plan on doing that tonight. but i just want to be clear that downloading apps is no longer a problem? all i have to do after getting my tablet is go to nextbookusa and download the update?
                Yes, with the new firmware it's no longer a problem. But, the supporting files on nextbook's site still don't work. You need to look at one of the aforementioned blogs to get it to work.

Comment

Nextbook

Honestly I might just look into something more friendly to rooting. It's a cool machine but I dont like the hassle. Of course for some of us the process is part of the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by thecaribbeancanuck View Post
                    Honestly I might just look into something more friendly to rooting. It's a cool machine but I dont like the hassle. Of course for some of us the process is part of the fun.
                    Just to clarify, updating to the latest official firmware to get access to the additional memory, does not require rooting.

Comment

Are the drivers absolutely necessary? With the NX785QC8G, it hooked up with USB with no problems or driver install necessary. Is the NX700QC16G that different?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike89 View Post
                        Are the drivers absolutely necessary? With the NX785QC8G, it hooked up with USB with no problems or driver install necessary. Is the NX700QC16G that different?
                        The drivers are required if you want to update the firmware. If you want to just access USB storage, then they're not.

I ended up finding the drivers online from a chinagadgetsreviews blog on bloodspot, and install directions by searching for "mediatek vcom driver windows 8.1" and I found a blog called thebroodle that had directions for installing them on Windows 8.1. The auto install batch file doesn't work on 8.1, saying it's not for Windows NT. The manual install instructions involve turning off driver signing at a reboot and then manually installing "legacy" hardware in device manager. Probably could have used the auto installer if I had windows 7 on a machine somewhere. :-/

I just hope the flash process doesn't kill it. This is to be a Christmas present for my daughter, and I'm only updating it because it'll fix the "small data partition" problem that so many complain about.

Comment

Re: Rooting a Nextbook NX700QC16G?!?!?!?

Originally posted by Mike89 View Post
                          The nx785qc8g is a rockchip based device... the nx700qc16g is a mediatek based device...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
                          Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

It worked! I don't even mind that I have to re-downlaod everything I'd initially set up for her because now it shows one large 13GB partition.

Nextbookusa website needs to get its act together. The corrupted drivers, the broken flash utility...I'm glad the internet was there for me. I've never been to Freaktab before, but thanks to this thread I found out about the update and how to apply it - I was resigned to just manually manage app storage, and now I don't have to. THANK YOU to the fine folks in this thread.

Also too bad it couldn't download as an OTA, but I understand with the repartition required why it couldn't.

Comment

Excellent Information! Thank you so much Bluenitro for your walk throughs.

When the Nextbook came as the replacement for the Walmart RCA 7" black Friday purchase, I thought what a good deal. Slightly faster processor and more space. Then when I found they left only 1 GB for apps, and around 800 MB was taken already I was floored! As I was looking for tools to allow me to reallocate the space (and holding my breath) I came across this thread!

Thank you to everyone who worked to find a solution to this tablet!
                              ps. As with others, I had good luck with Kingo Root in rooting the tablet.

Comment

Bluenitro, how you doing with your root walkthrough? Would also like to hear the latest from those who have already rooted this tab and how it's working for you (any issues, etc). Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X