No announcement yet.

Rooting a Nextbook NX700QC16G?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Root has been very good to me, and I have run into no issues.
    The shorthand walkthrough is:
    (Disclaimer, don't root if you're not comfortable! There's always a chance to brick a tablet... although low in this case)

Kingo Root App - http://www.kingoapp.com/

Make sure you have developer options enabled:
    (If not go to settings -> about tablet -> tap on "Build number" for about 10 times until text pops up that says "You're a developer!")
    Go to settings -> developer options
    At the top, make sure Developer Options are enabled!!
    -> Then under Debugging Header enable USB debugging

Connect tablet to computer, if your tablet is not recognized it may show under your Device Manager as a MT65xx Android Phone.

I had ADB drives on my system already, so to enable the device I right clicked on the MT65xx Android Phone and selected 'Update Driver Software'.
    -> Browse my computer for driver software
    -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    -> Android Device -> Next
    -> Android ADB Interface -> Next
    (Update Driver Warning) -> Yes
    -> Close

Then I ran Kingo (you have to accept the connection from the computer to the tablet on the tablet) and after about 4 minutes it was rooted.
    Since I didn't find this thread right away I had rooted my tablet 3 times before (now 4 total) while trying to fix the space issue.

ps. I think you can use this link from Google to get the USB drivers I'm using:
    The Google USB Driver is required to perform adb debugging on Windows with Google devices.

Comment

Thanks

Registered just to post a thank you to all who provided the info/blog posts, etc.
      When I was looking at this tablet and searched for root, etc. this was the first link I clicked.
      After reading all the posts, and having rooted other tablets/phones, this one sounded reasonably simple.

Got the tablet yesterday and downloaded all the goodies.
      Flashed the update with no issues. Storage space issue fixed.
      Rooted with app suggested...waited...and now have root.
      Up and running no problems!

thanks again!
      Last edited by phreeferawl; 12-21-2014, 17:51. Reason: typo

Comment

I have flashed two of these for my grand kids for Christmas. I'm now debating on to root or not. I'm trying to weigh the benefits that two grand kids might see or use in rooting. I'll probably just leave it alone unless I can be convinced it's beneficial for this device.

Comment

NX700QC New Firmware

Originally posted by grace917 View Post
          ShaunMT, how long does it usually take for the official firmware to become available and how can a dump of all the device partitions be done? I would be willing to do whatever it takes to improve this tablet. I really want to keep it, but improve the partitioning so I can do what I want with it.

Grace917
          They have new firmware for this tablet but I couldn't get the flash tool they provided to work on windows 7 can anybody help Iam a newby.

Comment

help for fixing Nextbook 7 16gb

Originally posted by Bowhunter032164 View Post
            They have new firmware for this tablet but I couldn't get the flash tool they provided to work on windows 7 can anybody help Iam a newby.
            Here are a couple of guys who have posted the answer to your problems.
            Were to get the firmware/drivers/flashtool that you will need an what to do with it.
            Once you have it all the items together on your desktop, it will only take a few minutes.

Bye the way, I don't think this process will work with a windows 8 pc. Win 7 and lower should be fine.
            links:
            Nextbook NQ700QC Android Tablet sold at Walmart as Nextbook NX700QC16G with WiFi 7" Touchscreen Tablet PC for $79

or:

Fix the app storage problem on NextBook 7 Quad-Core Android tablet. 16G storage is available on the NX700QC16G but only 1G is available for app space. How to root, upgrade firmware, get USB drivers for the NextBook 7.

Have fun ,It is a great tablet once it is re-flashed to have 13gb available for apps.

"Nuns. No sense of humor"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike89 View Post
              I have flashed two of these for my grand kids for Christmas. I'm now debating on to root or not. I'm trying to weigh the benefits that two grand kids might see or use in rooting. I'll probably just leave it alone unless I can be convinced it's beneficial for this device.
              Unless you need access to some low level actions there really isn't a need to root the device. I also wouldn't recommend doing it unless the user knows what root can do. An unsuspecting user could give up a LOT of private information to a malicious program that gains root access.

Personally I use root to fully backup locked APK (apps) and their data. (re. Titanium Backup) I've also occasionally used root to gain access to locked drive regions to place files into areas I cannot normally get to. Otherwise I don't use it. (For example, I have not rooted my phone, just my tablet)

Comment

Rooting allows a bunch of things such as the ability to remove some of the system apps that the firmware won't allow you to disable such as browser. It also allows root installation of cerberus which will allow tracking of the tablet if it should go missing (which is somewhat likely if it is meant for a kid to use. Kongo root works very easily to root. Once kongo is installed, install supersu from the play store and uninstall kongo.

Ita lso has what appears to be a chinese version of cwm recovery that can be accessed by holding down vol and power.

I'll look into building a custom rom without all the extra crap installed but in the meanwhile, rooting and manually removing .apk files with es file explorer set to root access works pretty well.

Comment

A Chinese version recovery? Kingo puts that in? If so, does iRoot also do this? Last thing I would want is a recovery installed in a language I can't understand which would complicate things if I ever had to use it.

Comment

Sorry if i wasn't clear. I believe the chinese cwm was original prior to rooting. Regardless, it doesn't cause problems. I'll see if i can install an english cwm or twrp next.

Comment

That's kind of a big mistake from Nextbook isn't it?

Comment

Turns out it is a recovery of sorts, but not cwm. I took the attachex photo and did some googling. Appareny it translates to ...
                        -Factory Reset
                        -Auto (Overall?) Test
                        -Manual (Overall?) Test
                        -Single Function Test
                        -Test report
                        -Clear eMMC
                        -Version Info
                        -Reboot

Found it on this xda thread...
                        Star B943 (B94M) MTK6589 Quad Core 4.5Inch 1GB RAM 4GB ROM Dual Camera 5.0MP+12MP WCDMA 3G Dual SIM Card SmartpPhone Please pay attention, there are two versions of this devices on the Market!!! One is with Dualcore and the other one is with...
                        Attached Files

Comment

In your translated entries, you list 8. In the photo there are 9 entries in Chinese. One un-translated item unaccounted for.

Man I sure hope there is an English recovery available. I don't like this at all.

Comment

Recovery

NOTE: This is after flashing the UPDATE as listed earlier in this thread.

I can't speak for all, but my recovery is in English.

Steps taken:
                            Press & Hold together: Power and Vol +
                            After a few seconds you should see (in LANDSCAPE):
                            Select Boot Mode: [VOLUME_UP to select. VOLUME_DOWN is OK.]

[Recovery Mode] <<==
                            [Fastboot Mode]
                            [Normal Boot]

Volume down will select recover if that is where the <<== is pointing.

After recovery is selected...you should get the android on it's side with red triangle. DON'T PANIC. Press Power and you should see the following:

Volume up to select;
                            Volume down to ok.

reboot system now
                            apply update from ADB
                            apply update from sdcard
                            apply update from cache
                            wipe/data factory reset
                            wipe cache partition
                            backup user data
                            restore user data

I have done nothing but reboot system now. I am waiting on a new sd card.
                            Does not appear that you can back up all, but at least user data is there.

Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by phreeferawl; 12-29-2014, 22:47. Reason: typing too fast!

Comment

Just checked. Mine do that too. Volume down and power gets me into the chinese menu

Comment

Originally posted by Dr18 View Post
                                Personally, I'm waiting for the official driver.zip update. I don't feel comfortable downloading files posted on a dropbox like account. I don't get what's taking them so long.

I there a good place to discuss which accessories to use with this tablet?

Thanks
                                The files on nextbookusa should be sufficient to update the firmware for the NX700. I got it to work fully on my Windows Vista 32 bit machine (after some additional tweaking beyond described that I believe was unnecessary), and I am using it to do a memory test right now on My wife's W7 64 bit machine (without that additional tweaking). Download the instructions and the three files for the NX700. Also, download the flash tool for the NX785. The driver.zip files are identical. Unzip drivers.zip and skip the problem files, .rar and .dll. Install the driver per the instructions. Unzip the other two. Copy the QtGui4.dll file from the flash tool zip for the 785 and replace the bad one in the unzipped folder for the 700 with it. Follow the rest of the instructions to finish the firmware upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                                X