Rooting a Nextbook NX700QC16G?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pwjiv View Post
    ShaunMT - Please add me to your list of those wishing to support this thread to find a root solution. I just got started using your Next7P12-8G information successfully, committing myself to experiment until I managed to brick it. And after a few weeks that's exactly what I succeeded in doing, and put that one aside for now - maybe that is for yet another list.
    This looks like a solid forum that is well run, and my first action upon joining was to ante up to your donate button. Please keep up your excellent efforts.
    I don't have one of these, but I do have the NX785QC8G...

Did the NX700QC16G come with Android 4.2.2 or 4.4.2? What processor chip does it have?

The NX785QC8G is a RockChip device that came with 4.2.2, which could be rooted using Kingo Root. It later received an official update to 4.4.2, which CAN NOT be rooted with Kingo Root.

I also recently got an RCA device with a MediaTek MT8127 running Android 4.4.2. I was able to root it with vRoot (now iRoot). This is a chinese app...

I would suggest trying either Kingo Root or vRoot (iRoot) to root using a PC.

You'll need ADB drivers installed and working... PDANET is probably the easiest way to install ADB drivers...

ShaunMT
    Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

My device specifics will have to come later

Originally posted by shaunmt View Post

Did the NX700QC16G come with Android 4.2.2 or 4.4.2? What processor chip does it have?

The NX785QC8G is a RockChip device that came with 4.2.2, which could be rooted using Kingo Root. It later received an official update to 4.4.2, which CAN NOT be rooted with Kingo Root.

I also recently got an RCA device with a MediaTek MT8127 running Android 4.4.2. I was able to root it with vRoot (now iRoot). This is a chinese app...

You'll need ADB drivers installed and working... PDANET is probably the easiest way to install ADB drivers...

ShaunMT
      When I said "eager", I meant it: I only ordered the NX700QC16G just yesterday. It was advertised as a 4.4 OS with a MT8127. I will get back with you on confirmed specifics. Meanwhile, I have plenty of reading to do. Things sound very promising here.

Comment

Originally posted by pwjiv View Post
        When I said "eager", I meant it: I only ordered the NX700QC16G just yesterday. It was advertised as a 4.4 OS with a MT8127. I will get back with you on confirmed specifics. Meanwhile, I have plenty of reading to do. Things sound very promising here.
        I've heard that Kingo Root will work on an MT8127 with 4.4.2, but I never tried it, because it did NOT work on RK3188 with 4.4.2.

I would expect vRoot (iRoot) to work. It seems to work on most (if not all) MT8127 devices with 4.4.2.

I would also be surprised if none of the other guys around here who got the NX700QC16G have not already rooted theirs.

ShaunMT
        Freaktab Rom Developer

Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

Comment

Compete NX700QC16G Specifications

ShaunMT
          ModelNextbook NX700QC16GDevicedigiin NX700QCProductnxm7100lvd_wmDisplay7" Capacitive Touchscreen 1024x600 (1024x552 160MDPI)Operating SystemAndroid 4.4.2 Kit Kat (API level 19)Linux Kernel3.4.67 (Jul 20, 2014, eng.jianwang.1405871414)Build NumberV1.0.9_20140720.235253Custom Build Version1405871414Central Processor CPUMediaTek MTK MT8127 1.3Ghz Cortex-A7 Quad-Core 32-bitGraphics Processor GPUARM Mali-450 MP (OpenGL ES 2.0)RAM Memory1GB DDR3Internal Flash Memory16GB Total [Cache 123MB,
          System 1007MB,
          Application 1006MB,
          Data (emulating a sd card) 12.3GB]PortsMicro USB, 3.5mm HeadphoneExpansion SlotsMicro SD up to 64GbNextworkingWifi b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0CameraFront Facing 0.3Mp (640X480 4:3)Battery3000 mAh internal rechargable Li-ionWeight275g (0.61 lbs)Dimensions7.52" x 4.39" x 0.37"SensorAcceleration Sensor (G Sensor) Invensense MPU-6880 6-AxisExtraGPS, 1 built-in rear speakerAccessories1.5A AC to USB Adapter, USB to microUSB Cable, 4Gb micro SD CardWarranty1 year parts and 90 days labor

found in my blog in a more readable format at
          Nextbook NQ700QC Android Tablet sold at Walmart as Nextbook NX700QC16G with WiFi 7" Touchscreen Tablet PC for $79

Comment

I to much newbe to root but there is Firmware maybe

I've heard that Kingo Root will work on an MT8127 with 4.4.2, but I never tried it, because it did NOT work on RK3188 with 4.4.2.

I would expect vRoot (iRoot) to work. It seems to work on most (if not all) MT8127 devices with 4.4.2.

I would also be surprised if none of the other guys around here who got the NX700QC16G have not already rooted theirs.

ShaunMT
            I would have to learn a lot of stuff to root. Nextbook USA is providing a Firmware Upgrade but the drivers file is messed up. Maybe the Firmware image is ok.

Instructions at
            Nextbook NQ700QC Android Tablet sold at Walmart as Nextbook NX700QC16G with WiFi 7" Touchscreen Tablet PC for $79

I will look into kingo and vroot when I have time.

Comment

NX700QC16G is now rooted and the Nextbook upgrade has been applied

Originally posted by Peter03102 View Post
              I would have to learn a lot of stuff to root. Nextbook USA is providing a Firmware Upgrade but the drivers file is messed up. Maybe the Firmware image is ok.

Instructions at

I will look into kingo and vroot when I have time.

I got the Nextbook upgrade to work by identifying the DLL files that were corrupt in zip file.... I had to search for replacement DLL files. Then the Nextbook application worked.... The OS partition is still only 1G and the APPs partition is 12G but it shows as one large partition when you goto SYSTEM->STORAGE INFO. It also does read USB flash drives if you have a OTG cable.

After running Nextbook firmware upgrade I then started tablet and did initial setup. Then installed Link2SD even though it is not yet rooted.

I then was able to use iroot.apk on the tablet (I used the OTG cable and flash drive) and had to also download and install the iroot PC version from the designers of iroot.apk (chinese company - www.mgyun.com and you will need to read Chinese ). Run the iroot.apk first and you will get a FAILED to ROOT message... That is OK.... You will be prompted to install an upgraded version... DO IT.... (A new app is installed called Root Master) These are Chinese apps so just be aware you have to read between the lines....

Connect USB cable to PC (after you have already installed the PC version.) It will try to connect to tablet, you may have to terminate the PC program and restart WITH THE USB CABLE STILL ATTACHED.... It may take a few minutes and you will need to click on the CONNECT button and when you see the ROOT button but it will eventually connect to the tablet and begin rooting process.... I had to wait several minutes (do not get anxious). The rooting process took maybe 5 minutes or more (I did not time it but seemed like a long time).

When it is done rooting you will find a Chinese version of SuperUser app installed. Go to Play Store and install your favorite SuperUser app. After configuring SuperUser app, I restarted tablet and then confirmed my SuperUser app was working and then used Link2SD to remove unwanted programs (both user installed and system files and Chinese files including iroot.apk, Root Master and Chinese supersu)...

I have done this on 3 tablets (bought them for my grand kids) and then I removed as much STUFF as possible using Link2SD.... I now have a 12G partition available for them to install games, etc as they see fit and most of the system files removed that were not needed for their gaming requirements.

Beware when you go to Settings->Storage you will see one LARGE partition with 12G available, however, when you go to Link2SD app and select Storage Info you will see 12G for the \data and \storage\emulated\0

It boots up fast and shuts down fast and is VERY responsive.... I like these tablets.... they make for good machines for the kids.....

I am sure I probably forgot something.... Ask questions I and will do my best to answer....

Comment

Originally posted by mywing98 View Post
                I got the Nextbook upgrade to work by identifying the DLL files that were corrupt in zip file.... I had to search for replacement DLL files.
                Care to elaborate which ones were corrupt? Thanks.

Comment

I can confirm that iroot's PC version is working on my tablet also.

Originally posted by mywing98 View Post
                  I then was able to use iroot.apk on the tablet (I used the OTG cable and flash drive) and had to also download and install the iroot PC version from the designers of iroot.apk (chinese company - www.mgyun.com and you will need to read Chinese ). Run the iroot.apk first and you will get a FAILED to ROOT message... That is OK.... You will be prompted to install an upgraded version... DO IT.... (A new app is installed called Root Master) These are Chinese apps so just be aware you have to read between the lines...
                  Thank you vey much for the tip! I used the PC version from www.mgyun.com/en/GetIRoot. As you said it took several minutes to root so a little patience is required. I made the mistake of not applying the update from Nextbook's website to begin with. As you said it basically eliminated the data partition and all of the space is now in the apps partition. This makes it unnecessary for most people to bother using Link2SD and many will not even care about rooting. I personally find certain apps which require root access such as Titanium Backup to be essential.
                  Last edited by dirksteel; 12-04-2014, 08:15. Reason: New info

Comment

I'm rooted... now what?

So I was finally able to root. Now what? I need to fix this partition problem and I'm fairly new to this.

I used Link2SD and set it to install to my SD Card, but it seems to be ignoring that option.

How do I get it to install Apps onto the unused 12GB partition?

Thanks!
                    Last edited by acpaulley; 12-04-2014, 02:21.

Comment

Originally posted by acpaulley View Post
                      So I was finally able to root. Now what? I need to fix this partition problem and I'm fairly new to this.

I used Link2SD and set it to install to my SD Card, but it seems to be ignoring that option.

How do I get it to install Apps onto the unused 12GB partition?

Thanks!
                      With Link2SD you have to format your SD Card into two partitions using the directions included with LinkSD using a free program such as Mini Tool Partition Wizard. When you have done that you can set the program up so that nearly all of your Apps will run from the SD card and you will use the 12GBs of internal storage as your default storage. I have been using it with great success for years. Unfortunately I ran into a road block... the program is not functioning properly with this device. This is because despite getting it rooted, the boot loader is still locked.

Mywing98 reported that Link2SD is working for him, so the update may very well unlock the boot loader allowing resizing of the partitions and also enable the use of Link2SD. This evening I applied the updated firmware and can confirm that it repartitions the internal storage space so that installed apps can use all of it. There are many advantages to achieving root access. For instance the update cleared everything that I had installed, but since I made a backup of everything before I installed it... I was able to restore it all without reinstalling.
                      Last edited by dirksteel; 12-04-2014, 08:24. Reason: New discoveries

Comment

Sp flash_tool.exe

I'm trying to update the firmware from NextBookUSA web site and i've been able to work around the corrupt driver files from their site buy replacing the 3 DLL files. But I'm stuck at executing the flash_tool.exe. Keeps telling me that flash_tool.exe has stopped working. I've tried downloading the flash tool from a site other than NextBookUSA and same problem.

Anyone know how I can get this working on my Vista machine?

Comment

For some reason I am unable to paste a link and am only able to type at about 2 words a minute in this text box, but I used the directions and update file from the Nextbook site, USB Drivers from PDAnet, and the mtk flash tool using a download link from the XDA Developers website. I rooted using iRoot from a PC. I hope that helps.
                          Last edited by dirksteel; 12-04-2014, 18:38. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by dirksteel View Post
                            For some reason I am unable to paste a link and am only able to type at about 2 words a minute in this text box, but I used the directions and update file from the Nextbook site, USB Drivers from PDAnet, and the mtk flash tool using a download link from the XDA Developers website. I rooted using iRoot from a PC. I hope that helps.
                            The partitioning was the only thing keeping me from getting a few of these for Christmas gifts but it sounds like that is no longer an issue. I am wondering though if the PDAnet you are referring to is the one that has the app to tether you phone or is it for a different web site? Also, since iRoot is in chinese, could someone that has successfully rooted this tablet give detailed instructions on how to do it?

Comment

Detailed Instructions for Firmware Update on Nextbook7 (NX700QC16G) Tablet

I've successfully applied the firmware update to two Nextbook 7 tablets.

I've documented the process in detail on my blog. Also I wrote up how to get the USB drivers working.

Firmware Update: http://nextbook7.blogspot.com/2014/1...re-update.html
                              USB Driver Instructions: http://nextbook7.blogspot.com/2014/1...nextbook7.html

Thanks everyone for your help. Now I'm off to working on getting it rooted and will document that in detail as well.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Metalneck View Post
                                The partitioning was the only thing keeping me from getting a few of these for Christmas gifts but it sounds like that is no longer an issue. I am wondering though if the PDAnet you are referring to is the one that has the app to tether you phone or is it for a different web site? Also, since iRoot is in chinese, could someone that has successfully rooted this tablet give detailed instructions on how to do it?
                                The partition issue is no longer a problem on this tablet after the update. Yes, I am referring to PDAnet the tethering app. It has a PC counterpart. To navigate Chinese websites I usually use Google Chrome with auto-translate on. The iRoot program is partially in English. It does install a Chinese app to the tablet which I uninstalled after installing SuperSU from the Play Store... to manage root access. You do have to approve access from the computer on the tablet, as iRoot first starts but that is in English. Then there is some type of prompting in the Chinese App that is installed. Pressing the greenish button in the app doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X